PDA

View Full Version : Ever notice how....

UruzPhoenix
10-10-2009, 04:31 PM
after working with wool for a while it starts feeling softer and softer.... then you go to knit with arcryllic (I'm making a top down raglan baby sweater using Caron Simply Soft) it feels really plasticy and almost makes you want to grind your teeth???

The only reasons I'm using the Caron Simply Soft is 1. i already have it in my stash (trying to weed the arcryllics out), 2. It's a baby sweater, meaning lots of spitting up on it, lots of washing it out, and 3. I'm going to be selling it (and a few other things... going to get them made first then set up an etsy account and have a stock pile to go for the craft fairs next fall).

I can't wait to have this sweater done, this stuff's awful (which is funny since i used to love it, i've even made sweaters before using red heart super saver!) but I don't know which wool would be good to use in the future.... the reviews i've read said that the lion brand wool-ease pills pretty badly after a few washes (any second opinions??)

:knitting:
Phoenix

Mike
10-10-2009, 04:52 PM
No, not really. Especially not with Simply Soft which I think feels softer than wool.

I just went from a Simply Soft sweater to a Red Heart Super Saver afghan and while the Red Heart is rougher it's nothing major.

Jan in CA
10-10-2009, 05:12 PM
No, never noticed that. :shrug: I hate RHSS as I find it hurts my hands after awhile...like they've been sandpapered, but I never noticed the plasticy feel.

globaltraveler
10-10-2009, 05:28 PM
What I particularly dislike about it is the way it squeaks when you knit with it. Puts my teeth on edge.

suzeeq
10-10-2009, 07:48 PM
I agree with Mike, there's a lot of acrylics that feel softer than most wools. Merino is softer than other wools, but still, some acrylics are softer than it is. And I've never had acrylic yarn 'squeak'; could be that happens when it's knit at a tight gauge.

UruzPhoenix
10-10-2009, 08:02 PM
the simply soft is softer than the red heart, but i'm finding the simply soft to feel plasticy (and it's splitting to no end right now... size 7 needles)...

i've spent the last few months working with nothing but wool... and i love the feel of wool (which is funny because I hated it growing up, it always felt scratchy and made me itch).

oh well, sweater's 1/2 done, thinking about returning whatever simply soft i have in my stash that's never been used (i have a bunch of the simply soft shadows) with the labels on that's still new and then whatever i have for partials i'm giving to my sister who works with project linus.

suzeeq
10-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Soft yarns, even wools, are soft because they're twisted looser and so are more prone to splitting. I've found with using a larger needle that it doesn't split as badly as using the conventional size needles, 7-9.

Abbily
10-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Phoenix, I know what you mean. I like the elann and knitpicks superwash wools for kids clothes- still washable, and still inexpensive.

Jan in CA
10-10-2009, 09:31 PM
What I particularly dislike about it is the way it squeaks when you knit with it.

And I've never had acrylic yarn 'squeak'; could be that happens when it's knit at a tight gauge.

I have never, ever had acrylic squeak. I knit at the normal gauge, too. :??

suzeeq
10-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Maybe it's just some knitter's perceptions, or the needles they use. :shrug:

Mike
10-11-2009, 12:21 AM
I was just touching this <----- hat with this thread in mind (very cold here tonight for this time of year). It's nowhere near as soft as Simply Soft. It's almost as scratchy as RHSS but different, definitely better against the balding head than RHSS, I can't stand my Red Heart hats for very long.
I have a Lion Camo acrylic hat that is very tolerable.

I wasn't holding much hope for the Simply Soft sweaters but I figured it would be more of a breathing issue. It wasn't. They actually feel good against the skin and are warm. Once I made one I bought a lot more for sweaters.
Plus now with the Eco each sweater is about 3 bottles recycled.

I've had RHSS squeak with plastic crochet hooks but not with metal.

globaltraveler
10-11-2009, 05:05 AM
I only knit with metal needles. I knit loose, which I keep trying to fix. And yeah, it squeaks. :) (What, did you think I'm making it up or something? Maybe some knitters just don't notice!)

Mike
10-11-2009, 07:53 AM
I only knit with metal needles. I knit loose, which I keep trying to fix. And yeah, it squeaks. :) (What, did you think I'm making it up or something? Maybe some knitters just don't notice!)

What? Speak up ;)

I think when my hooks and needles were new they squeaked with everything. I'd run them through my hair (what little there is of it).

mommydearest
10-11-2009, 08:50 AM

Try knitting with wood needles they really help me to NOT knit so loose. I only have one pair of straights but love the Bamboo dpn's or KP's Harmony.

Mary

rachael72knitter
10-11-2009, 09:16 AM
I agree with Mike. Simply Soft feels really soft to me and wool feels rough, esp if I have been knitting with the Simply Soft first, or something like Love This Cotton. I guess I am the reverse.

On a side note, I bought some Deborah Norville Serenity sock yarn at Hobby Lobby. It is a wool/bamboo blend and it feels sooooo soft.

Wool is always rough to me unless it is a blend.

Debbie
10-11-2009, 09:35 AM
:aww: I admit it ... I am a yarn snob. I really, really, really prefer natural fibers. There are a few blends I like (Knit Picks, Comfy Bulky 75% cotton/ 25% acrylic) I buy, I try ... but I almost always go back ... Some man made yarns are SO pretty and so soft, I want to want to knit with them, but for some reason they almost always "feel" different.

CraftyGeezerette
10-11-2009, 11:22 AM
I have had a few yarns "squeak" on me, but always figured it was the needles I was using. After switching to bamboo ones in circular knitting, they quit that squeaking on me.

And I have to add, I envy you that can use wool yarn. I am highly allergic to wool in most forms. Just brushing it leaves my whole arm a lovely shade of red, where ever it touched. So using wool is a no no for this knitter.

Craw
10-11-2009, 11:52 AM
after working with wool for a while it starts feeling softer and softer.... then you go to knit with arcryllic (I'm making a top down raglan baby sweater using Caron Simply Soft) it feels really plasticy and almost makes you want to grind your teeth???

Yes, I'm with you on that plasticky feel. I must be getting spoiled and I just like knitting with real wool. It feels nicer. I can stand the acrylic though. I kinda have to since I have such a huge stash of acrylic.

I've had the Super Saver yarn squeak on my aluminum crochet hooks before. It didn't happen knitting with it but I had used some pretty old stash that a neighbor gave me. The older Super Saver was softer and felt less plasticky than what they put out now.

globaltraveler
10-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Heh. I don't like knitting on wood needles. They're grabby and they drive me crazy because they're so slow. So far, this has been true on even slippery silk laceweights.

I keep trying to like acrylics. They're so practical, and they're SO much cheaper! But they make me break out in funny sweats, and the squeaking of the yarn drives me mad when knitting. :) Guess it's just the squeak of acrylic on metal, but since that's all I knit with... (I do have a set of Harmony interchangeables, and even some Lantern Moon needles. After a while of knitting with them, I do get used to them, but I still knit slower on them. Someday, I'll probably give them to my ex-sister in law or some lucky wood needle lover.)

Jan in CA
10-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Noooo...I didn't think you were making it up or lying about it, Zina. :teehee: It's just never happened to me and I knit with acrylic a lot and it's very quiet around here with no kiddies around anymore. :shrug:

Not all of us can tolerate wool and good wool can also be expensive so some of us have to use acrylic. I am so sensitive that even most expensive merino wools bother me.. yes, even blends that feel heavenly to the hand or cheek can make me itchy on my body. I've been slowly testing out different ones to see how it goes. :thumbsup:

MGM
10-11-2009, 02:16 PM
I've had acrylic yarn squeak when knitting with bamboo needles! YUK! I have noticed in recent years that the quality of Red Heart super saver yarn has gone down quite a bit, and I've discovered other acrylics that I like better anyway. Vanna's yarns are nice and soft and still have some substance to them, and I do like the Red Heart Soft yarns too. I find Simply Soft much too soft and slippery and it seems to have no substance at all and I don't like how loose the plies are.

I love to hear what different people have to say about these kinds of things. Everyone's experience is different and interesting.

MGM

UruzPhoenix
10-11-2009, 02:29 PM
i agree with the red heart ss being of lower quality now.... years ago i made my kids blankets with RHSS (crocheted ripple afghans) that finally wore out... 3 years ago i made my brother and SIL a ripple afghan (same pattern i used for my boys, same brand yarn) and it looks like crap and they wore a hole in it. It can't be the number of washings it went through or how it was washed (my kids had theirs through their potty training years..... wer'e talking washing the blankets 2-3 times a day on hot, sometimes with chlorox!) my kids blankets always went back to looking like new while the one for my brother and SIL was pilling to no end and just looked like crap...

Anyone have any experience with Wool-ease yarn from Lion Brand???

and yeah, stopping by the LB Studio in NYC is high on my list of things to do :)

suzeeq
10-11-2009, 02:51 PM
RH SS is lower quality now than years ago? You've got to be kidding. I have some from the 70s and it was much rougher then than it is now. Softer yarns pill more, maybe that's what you're experiencing.

gamerchik
10-11-2009, 02:59 PM
I dislike squeaky acrylics and Homespun was the squeakiest!! No thank you!

I like KP's superwash merino.

Craw
10-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Anyone have any experience with Wool-ease yarn from Lion Brand???

and yeah, stopping by the LB Studio in NYC is high on my list of things to do :)

I just retired an afghan I had crocheted with Wool Ease only a few years ago. It was pilling and had stretched out. The LB pattern I had used called for that yarn with a rather large hook (J) so I think had I adapted the pattern to a smaller hook it wouldn't have stretched but I do hear a lot about the pilling.

I'd LOVE to get to the LB Studio! I'm dying to see some of their higher end yarns.

Becky Morgan
10-11-2009, 09:58 PM
I never have any luck with Wool Ease, either. I just finished Drew the Crochet Dude's Pink Ribbing purse in Lion Wool (because I had two skeins and wanted to felt the purse!), and my hands looked like they'd been sandpapered. FWIW, I've never heard yarn squeak, either, and my hearing is supposed to be excellent. Some hear it, some don't, and I don't.

suzeeq
10-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Wool Ease is different from Lion Wool which is rougher than the wool/acrylic blend.

etoilechaude
10-11-2009, 10:59 PM
I have only knitted one thing using acrylic and I did notice the squeeking. I had assumed it was because I was using acrylic and my tension was off (it was my frist time knitting a sock-type item).

I do prefer wool, although I try to avoid buying scratchy wool. I do have some stuff that I just got as 'practice' (Lion Brand Alpine Wool) that isn't totally awful, but I would prefer to use something softer.

I've found that cottons feel really nice to knit with, the hat I just finished was a pima cotton (... I honestly don't know what that 'means' but I know it was super soft) and I love the yarn.

Becky Morgan
10-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Wool Ease is different from Lion Wool which is rougher than the wool/acrylic blend.

Yes, but I don't have any luck with either. Lion Wool is downright abrasive, which is probably why it felts so well. Wool-Ease is just scratchy and prone to breaking even with very loose tension. Neither is as abrasive as Noro Kureyon. I had people raving at me that I SIMPLY MUST buy that, and I was almost ready to bite the bullet and try $ome until somebody had it at knitting group. To work with it, I'd *have* to wear gloves.

I just won a big ball of recycled sari silk on Ebay. I'm hoping this turns out to be the natural fiber that is actually interesting to work with!

suzeeq
10-12-2009, 07:05 PM
I've done a lot of knitting with WE, and ripping and re-knitting, and never had problem with it breaking. Could be the color; some dyes might weaken the fibers.

Noro Silk Garden is not quite as harsh as the Kureyon, but RHSS is softer than either one of them. Yeah, sure, maybe it softens up when you block it, but I sure don't want to knit with it in the first place.

globaltraveler
10-12-2009, 07:35 PM
I just finished a Silk Garden project, and yeah, it softened up LOTS when I blocked it (which I had to do twice, long story), but phew, after working with silk and merino and cashmere in the last few projects, I was amazed at how rough the Silk Garden felt on my hands while knitting!

Becky Morgan
10-13-2009, 01:41 PM
I've done a lot of knitting with WE, and ripping and re-knitting, and never had problem with it breaking. Could be the color; some dyes might weaken the fibers.

I've used denim-y blue, white, a blue and white variegated they used to make, and...I'm thinking it was cranberry, can't recall now. It shouldn't have been old when I bought it, because our Ames had a very active yarn department where hardly anything stayed on the shelf for long. The blue and the white were absolutely fragile to work with and the sweater I made with them fell apart the second time it was washed--looked as if the yarn itself dissolved in multiple places.

ArtLady1981
10-13-2009, 04:12 PM
After knitting with any natural fiber yarn for a long period of time, whether from an animal source or vegetable source, I can see and feel a difference when switching to acrylics.

However, there a some really nice acrylics that are a pleasure to work with,
and Caron Simply Soft is one of them! :thumbsup:

Red Heart Soft is nice, too!

And, TLC Luster!

I'd use these 3 any day! Acrylic has its place in our stashes!
But. just like the natural fibers, acrylics come in many types, some better, some worse! And then personal preference factors in there, too!

suzeeq
10-13-2009, 06:38 PM
Yep I have the denim, and knit it up once in most of a pattern, that didn't work, then knit it in another which I'm going to rip cause I want to do something else with it. (you'd think I wouldn't need any stash because I'm always reknitting the same yarn....) I have one skein that wasn't used in the original project, though I did start something else with it; I've been using it to try out patterns for this final (I hope) try. It's been knit and reknit about 4 times and doesn't show a sign of breaking. I didn't think the age of a yarn mattered, I have some acrylic from the 70s still in the wrapper that knits and looks fine.

Suziblues
10-13-2009, 07:27 PM
Please excuse this thread jack, but Artlady: I just LOVE that pic of you knitting in the wilderness! I live in Michigan and oh, how I miss going up to the north woods!

okay, back to the subject of differant types of yarn.

Becky Morgan
10-13-2009, 08:53 PM
The company back then told me the yarn was probably "too old". I sent the wrapper, so wouldn't they know how old the yarn was or wasn't :?? Their explanation for my similarly dissolved afghan was that I had made it with Wool-Ease outsides to the granny squares and acrylic centers, and the two couldn't be mixed in a project. HELLOOOO...Wool-Ease is a blend of wool and acrylic! Now, to be fair, that was at least ten years ago, and their customer service is a lot better now.

I did land some Wool-Ease Thick and Quick at the Michael's clearance. One skein made a big thick warm hat, so since I only had one skein of each color there are three hats here waiting for new homes. I don't know how long they'll last, but for now they look nice, and it wasn't scratchy to work with.

I still wonder how much local water has to do with how well yarn holds up. I've had people swear their Jiffy was scratchy and stiff after one laundering, where in our area (VERY hard water) it doesn't ever seem to get rough. Wool in this water, OTOH, gets downright hard. I save rainwater to rinse out woolens.

suzeeq
10-13-2009, 10:10 PM
They're wrong, you can knit WE and acrylic together. I've never done it, but I sure don't see a reason why you can't. And you may be on to something about the water; also, I just read that you shouldn't use powdered detergent for knits, it may not rinse out well; use a liquid.

Crycket
10-14-2009, 08:03 AM
I just dumped all my RHSS on my grandma...

I just can't use it anymore....!!

MAmaDawn
10-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Red Heart Soft is nice, too!

That one is my favorite acrylic... they have their uses, just like scratchy wool does. Scratchy wool felts better and is usually warmer so makes better outerwear (like jackets and sweater that don't touch your skin).

My least favorite is cotton, it's too stiff and makes my hands hurt.

I've had some yarn feel off, can't say it was plasticy or what and I don't know what kind it was as it didn't have a label and I had it for a long time.

sakura-panda
10-14-2009, 12:52 PM
I love to hear what different people have to say about these kinds of things. Everyone's experience is different and interesting.

MGM

I agree! :)

I have lots of acrylic and I've been trying out some wools, but I'm of a kind that doesn't much care what it is as long as it's yarn. They feel different, but it's neither better nor worse, just different.

I haven't noticed a plasticky feel or a squeaky noise either -- just the annoying shwoop sound that my needles make when they rub against each other. (I don't really know how to describe it. It's a metal against metal sound. I wonder if I'd still get it with an acrylic needle? I had trouble with this yarn getting stuck on my wood needles and bought the metal ones because of that.)