PDA

View Full Version : Gift ideas for younger men?

meowmeowmeow
11-02-2009, 10:07 PM
I have a rather large family so I need some ideas for easy mens' gifts.Do you think men would wear cowls?I can't seem to find anything I could picture my cousins wearing(we're all more like siblings, not distant at all).

I guess for a hint at their taste:

Most are either G.Q., into military clothing(like German parkas, army surplus and leather trench coats, or into formal rock clothing.One cousin, for example, loves to wear leather wrist bands, a top hat and a velvet vest with trench coat.They all tend to dress pretty formally, even in non formal situations.

Any crochet gift ideas would be appreciated too.

All the girls will be a lot easier since I can just crochet them up some nice lacy chokers.

I guess I could even get some fabric from the fabric store and make them all some nice handkerchiefs with pretty edgings, but does anyone know any techniques for monogramming?Preferably with crochet hook or regular sewing needle?

Whatever I decide on, I need to get into factory worker mode fast.

Jan in CA
11-02-2009, 10:46 PM
It really depends on the guy whether they'd wear a cowl. Some guys might consider them girly. :shrug: What about fingerless mitts? Or a shorter scarf.

globaltraveler
11-03-2009, 10:08 AM
I was astounded to see an article in one of the Guardian's fashion pages talking about a man's "snood". Which is hilarious, because a "snood" is a net you put your hair into. But they mean a "scarf that's been connected into a loop that you put round your neck twice." (So, longer than most of your cowls or neckwarmers.) Mohair for men was also mentioned on the up of the trends.

I think I'm going to make a We Call Them Pirates set, only with just one skull on the scarf, like a logo. Am thinking of doing the same on the cap.

ETA: the one who likes the top hat outfit: maybe a dark red chenille "snood" in an interesting stitch pattern?

OffJumpsJack
11-03-2009, 12:39 PM
My wife has a Snood and loves it. It is similar to a scarf or cowl, but can be pulled up over her head like a hood. (Scarf + hood -carf - h = snood.)

G.T. Is it UK or EU usage that snood means a hair net? I've not encountered it here in the Eastern US (Pennsylvania to North Carolina).

Gift Ideas? Here are my (40+ yo thoughts, I have a teenage son, also)

Color: Darker colors (burgundy, charcoal, navy, forest/hunter green, faded denim) also tweeds, there are camouflage colorways for the military or hunter types. Professional sport team colors perhaps for rabid fans?

Cowl: Images on Ravelry at http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/swampfield-cowl
or pattern from http://penguinpurls.blogspot.com/2008/12/swampfield-cowl-free-pattern.html

Scarves: Short can be crossed in front and tucked under top coats for an ascot look.

Mittens: ?

Vest: Ravelry at http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/zipped-vest from Knitting Classic Style: 35 Modern Designs Inspired by Fashion's Archives
by Veronik Avery

Hats: Tam, paperboy hat, or stocking hats (may be known as toque, toboggan, or beanie)

Turtle neck dickies ?

You are now probably thinking enough ideas! :oo: :)

UruzPhoenix
11-03-2009, 03:05 PM
for my brother (NYC lawyer, partner in a law firm, running for 19th district queens city council so i'm keeping my fingers crossed for him today!) i'm taking the goat scarf pattern and just not putting the goats on it.... thinking maybe the cable will be decent enough on it's own.

globaltraveler
11-03-2009, 06:07 PM
K, you inspired me to blog on this (http://anotherlongyarn.zinalee.net/?p=1062). Apparently Burberry's is calling them snoods too. *boggle* They're basically just male neckwarmers, really, unless you make the bigger loop version so they can be doubled up. Links from that page to various articles and items!

globaltraveler
11-03-2009, 06:08 PM
Jack, a snood has always meant a hairnet -- that's what women wore their hair in during the '40's, for instance. :)

evona
11-03-2009, 07:37 PM
when I think snood I think big floppy beanie to pull my hair into kinda hippy like so I think that fits with GlobalTravelers definition :rofl: I think that the "snood" as men's cowl seems like a good idea.

evona
11-03-2009, 07:39 PM
It really depends on the guy whether they'd wear a cowl. Some guys might consider them girly. :shrug: What about fingerless mitts? Or a shorter scarf.

+1 on the fingerless mitts idea. My son loves them and it seems like it would go well with a outfit consisting of a top hat, velvet vest & trench coat

farmgirl
11-04-2009, 10:22 AM
I knit ribbed cowls for the Ships project to send to the soldiers (we call them neck gaiters). I think it depends on if you make them lacey and what colors they are in if they appear feminine.

cftwo
11-04-2009, 11:10 AM
Snoods were also popular for women around the time of the Civil War - reenactors wear them, and you'll find them discussed a lot in stories set around that time (such as Louisa May Alcott stories).

I second the idea for fingerless mitts or a simple scarf. I find that a nice yarn and a simple pattern (seed stitch, moss stitch, ribbing, basketweave) make nice and quick scarves. The trick is choosing a nice color. I made my dad a scarf from Berrocco's Jasper which was both lovely to work with and better yet - he wears it. My dad prefers a shorter scarf that he can tuck inside a coat as opposed to a showy one that you wear over your coat.

cdjack
11-04-2009, 02:28 PM
How about a hat that holds a ipod?

http://www.knitandtonic.net/knitandtonic/2008/12/just-in-time-fo.html