View Full Version : Seeking Pattern

11-03-2009, 03:53 PM
I know what zig-zag pattern is in crochet, but what does zig-zag mean in knitting. I need it for the beginning cuff of mittens.

11-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Maybe a ripple st, or chevron?

11-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Yes, I know it is also called ripple or chevron, and I know how to make it in crochet (I've made many a chevron afghan) but I don't know how you make it in knitting?? I mean, exactly how?

11-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Ohhhh... I thought you meant what is it called. You need a double inc and double dec seperated by a few sts. You can do 2 single increases or decreases or do them as doubles. So for instance - k2tog, k3, inc inc, k3 ssk, and repeat. Or k2tog, *k3, yo, k1, yo (or k, YO, K in the same stitch) k3, sl 2, k1, psso and repeat from the *. The last repeat will be a ssk instead of sl 2, k1, psso. If you're knitting in the round just do it as *k3, yo, k1, yo (or k, YO, K in the same stitch) k3, sl 2, k1, psso and repeat from the *. You can also put more sts in between the incs and decs, like 4 or 6 or 7. And the increases can be done as M1, K1, M1, instead of YOs.

Here's an afghan pattern that's in ripple st, and I think Lion has other ripple blanket pattern too. Maybe even a scarf pattern.

Oops - forgot the link - http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/afripple.htm

11-04-2009, 07:46 AM

Here's a couple.

11-05-2009, 02:13 AM
Oh, thank you, Suzeeq, you have given me just what I needed. All you said makes perfect sense. I have always been more of a crocheter than a knitter, but now I need more knit skills. I am making chemo caps for patients who have lost their hair. The knitted hats work better for them. Thanks again!

11-05-2009, 02:38 AM
Thanks Mirl56, those were most helpful.