PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer DPNs or Magic Loop?

gamerchik
11-08-2009, 12:39 PM
I'm curious as to what most people prefer for small diameter circular knitting. Do you prefer DPNs or Magic Loop (or maybe the 2 circs kind like in the video on the Advanced Techniques page), or do you like a variety of techniques? :knitting:

suzeeq
11-08-2009, 01:38 PM
I use 2 circs, or 'halfaloop' (http://sites.google.com/site/purplesagedesigns/techniques-1/single-loop-not-magic-loop-knitting-in-the-round), the ML single loop variation.

Jan in CA
11-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Neither. I like using two circular needles.

Ronda
11-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Magic Loop or 2 circs over DPN.

zkimom
11-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Hate dpns. It's magic loop or 2 circs for me -- like both of those, but prefer ML

ArtLady1981
11-08-2009, 03:06 PM
I prefer "knitting on 2 circulars"!!! (I know that wasn't one of the choices! Sorry!)

I've tried dpn's (ack) and magicloop (meh)...but prefer 2 circs.

RybPvCNfrT8

wSv6bdj7pvg

I'm posting the YOUTUBE video that really helped me GET IT!
Cat's voice may be annoying to some folks, but her process and teaching is inimitable!

newamy
11-08-2009, 03:15 PM
I like DPN's. I've tried magic loop a few times and can do it but I don't like sliding the work around.

I've not tried the two circs, because I don't have two long circs of the same needle size, and again there appears to be lots of sliding of the work.

gamerchik
11-08-2009, 03:21 PM
I did write the 2 circs thing! It's in the parentheses. LOL. :cheering:

cheley
11-08-2009, 03:51 PM
I did write the 2 circs thing! It's in the parentheses. LOL. :cheering: I'm a DPN gal..hate ML, hate 2circs...

ArtLady1981
11-08-2009, 04:36 PM
I did write the 2 circs thing! It's in the parentheses. LOL. :cheering:

Oh, NOW I SEE IT!! :doh:

I was mainly thinking about what you'd written in the TOPIC line! :teehee:

msplainjane
11-08-2009, 06:11 PM
I've only done ML and I like it :)

gamerchik
11-08-2009, 06:47 PM
I use 2 circs, or 'halfaloop' (http://sites.google.com/site/purplesagedesigns/techniques-1/single-loop-not-magic-loop-knitting-in-the-round), the ML single loop variation.

That traveling loop link you posted looks really interesting!! :cheering:

So far, I prefer my DPNs to ML.

Mike
11-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Doesn't really matter. I like DPNs but will use ML, whichever happens to be faster for the particular piece I'm working on.

suzeeq
11-08-2009, 08:22 PM
It is. With a single loop you can use shorter circs than with ML, no 40", a 24-32" will work fine.

meowmeowmeow
11-08-2009, 08:33 PM
There's no diameter too small to do on them.

After my second project when learning to knit, I set out to learn how to knit in the round.I hadn't even heard of circular needles till after that and so I tried them.Couldn't quite get my head around how they were an improvement.The only time I use circular needles now is to knit those projects with the infinite amount of stitches that don't fit on other needles.

jheatherley
11-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Definitely magic loop. But hearty thanks to Suzeeq for the half a loop. That's pretty obvious now that I see it, but I certainly never would have thought of it on my own. That looks even better than magic loop.

gamerchik
11-08-2009, 09:11 PM
It is. With a single loop you can use shorter circs than with ML, no 40", a 24-32" will work fine.

Can you use that method for small diameter knitting, like 3-6 stitches?

bambi
11-08-2009, 11:05 PM
I usually do DPNs but after looking at the single loop that SuzeeQ posted, I realized that I have DONE that before without realizing it was an actual technique! :mrgreen:

I was attempting ML and realized my cable was probably too short so I devised that SL method on my own.

suzeeq
11-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Yeah, that's how I found both ML and halfaloop years ago. Only had 29" circs and wanted to try out something with only 30 or 40 sts.

cheley
11-09-2009, 08:09 AM
I usually do DPNs but after looking at the single loop that SuzeeQ posted, I realized that I have DONE that before without realizing it was an actual technique! :mrgreen:

I was attempting ML and realized my cable was probably too short so I devised that SL method on my own. Yea, me too!!! I just checked it out, and I've done that too...(umm not knowing it is a technique) but I still like me dpns...:hug:

mathwizard
11-09-2009, 08:50 AM
I prefer two circs. I have no problems with doing projects requiring dp as I use the two circs instead. I use my dp as hair ornaments and I found magic loop didn't agree with me and not for lack of trying, lol.

Julia C
11-09-2009, 09:08 AM
I prefer magic loop but if I can knit on short dpns I don't mind them.

WandaT
11-09-2009, 09:25 AM
The method I always go to is ML ... but I'm not sure it's my favorite. I tried the 2 circs a long time ago but didn't do much with it since you need two circs the same size - now that I have the Options and Harmonys it wouldn't be a big deal but I haven't gone back to it. However, I'm very interested to try that traveling loop technique SuseeQ posted!! I've done dpns but would rather not.

Craw
11-09-2009, 07:49 PM
I guess I have to say DPNs at the moment since that's the only way I've tried so far. I've watched videos on the various techniques and using 2 circs looks like the one I'd pick if I can build up my needle collection to have 2 circs the same size. Otherwise travelling loop is also interesting. I think I saw a video at Knitpicks on that or something very close.

Plantgoddess+
11-10-2009, 04:20 PM
DPNs for me. Just seems quicker for me.

sueko
11-11-2009, 03:53 AM
I learned on dpns, but I just find two circs so much more convenient. Never liked the ML method, as someone else pointed out: too much sliding!

momwolf
11-11-2009, 09:36 AM
DPN is all I use,like everyone else hated the sliding and all the dangling of the circular needles.:eyes:

cindycactus
11-11-2009, 09:42 AM
I am very comfortable with DPNs but I think I will give the "halfaloop" a try. ML and 2 circs seem like too much moving.

luvmykid28
11-12-2009, 01:40 AM
I like ML, halfaloop and 2 circs. My fav is halfaloop (didn't know I was using it until looking at the pictures. I can use DPNs once a project is started but I can't for the life of me get a small proiject started on them...plus the DPNs feel ackward to me. I guess it's just what you're used to. Thank KH and the internet for offering so many vids to learn/choose from. :yay: :yay: :yay:

Limenblack
11-12-2009, 02:49 AM
I have only ever used DPNs (and i haven't really been knitting for all that long) but i hate how they poke at me and with sock knitting there isn't that much space inside of them to work so i am definitely going to be trying magic loop or half loop in the future, 2 circs doesn't appeal to me cause i am a college kid and it seems pretty expensive to have two of the same needle when one will do...

JudyD
11-12-2009, 07:25 AM
I learned to make mittens and socks on DPNs way before the advent of circular needles. I like circulars for other projects but still use DPNs for socks and mittens. They were never not comfortable for me.

Saw an ad recently for 5" DPNs.

JudyD