PDA

View Full Version : first baby blanket

sayyadina
11-08-2009, 10:43 PM
I'm working on a baby blanket for a friend. She's having her baby shower at the end of the month, so I'd like to see if I can get it done by then.

One thing I'm not sure of is what size the finished blanket should be. With the amount of stitches I cast on (don't remember how many anymore), its 29.5". I've currently got it at 13" wide, and I'm thinking it should end up at 32" wide. Does that sound like a good size?

I wasn't able to work on it for a couple months, since I had to have surgery on my left wrist, but now everything is healed.

The knitting is going pretty well, however my shoulders are so sore. Just the tops of them, and its actually better if I slouch and don't sit up straight. I am moving around as I knit, to try to relieve the pain, and I do get up to stretch & move periodically.

Its currently taking me about 10 minutes to get through a row, and I'm trying to get in 2 hours of knitting a day. Think I have enough time?

I'm working with size 7 circular bamboo needles, and 2 ply sport weight 100% alpaca yarn from my herd. Trying to use the lowest micron yarns (18-20), so its really soft.

Getting a massage probably would help, but I just don't have the money for that anymore.

suzeeq
11-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Most blankets are 30-36" square... or they can be rectangular, or circular or just any size. Mom will probably have a use for it.

Jan in CA
11-08-2009, 11:50 PM
Personally I didn't like anything smaller than 30" square because it was easy to wrap the baby. Rectangular ones are okay for the stroller or car seat though.

Mirl56
11-09-2009, 07:49 AM
I wouldn't stress so much about finishing it. If you don't finish it, just put point protectors on the ends of the needle and give it to her unfinished. Take it back, and then finish it. She'll totally understand that you didn't finish it due to the wrist surgery.

I've done this more then once. :muah:

WandaT
11-09-2009, 09:31 AM
I wouldn't stress so much about finishing it. If you don't finish it, just put point protectors on the ends of the needle and give it to her unfinished. Take it back, and then finish it. She'll totally understand that you didn't finish it due to the wrist surgery.

I've done this more then once. :muah:

I agree ... just give it your best shot. If you don't get it finished she will completely understand. Plus then she'll be really excited about your finishing it later. :)

Julia C
11-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Sounds about right for a newborn sized blanket. If you don't finish you could always have someone take a picture of you knitting the blanket and put that in a card with an i.o.u. I find that when my back hurts it feels better when I lean back on the couch.

melmac51
11-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Sounds about right for a newborn sized blanket. If you don't finish you could always have someone take a picture of you knitting the blanket and put that in a card with an i.o.u. I find that when my back hurts it feels better when I lean back on the couch.

Give it to her unfinished and tell her that it's a "work in progress", just like her little one on the way. After the shower, take it back and try to finish it by the birth day.

AMD
01-24-2010, 11:53 PM
I am working on a simular project. Circular needles baby blanket that starts as a triangle. My pattern says to start decreasing once you get to 36' in length. Would this be from needle to needle, measuring at the stitches casted on? (base of triangle) or the height or legs of triangle?

suzeeq
01-25-2010, 12:29 AM
I think it would be measured up one of the sides from the cast on to the needle.