PDA

View Full Version : Finished practice scarf, but need some help!

CoolestPenga
11-10-2009, 03:49 AM
So I've recently picked up the purling stitch and love the flat texture for a smaller, more stylish scarf... but as I kept knitting and purling I noticed that the longer it got it started to curl in on either side towards the beginning of the scarf. I thought nothing of it and kept going on thinking I could just tug it and flatten it out somehow after casting off, but that didn't work. Now I have a cute scarf and everything but it bugs me how it's rounded...It's like some weird tube scarf lol
I was going to try another scarf with the pearl knit pattern, but was wondering what was causing it to curl in on itself? Ideally i would have a scarf that's flat :P Am I doing my stitches too tight maybe?

blueygh2
11-10-2009, 06:47 AM
What you're doing is called stockinette stitch (alternating knit and purl rows), and it's normal for it to curl.
It always does. There's a post somewhere on it...

http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32810

There it is.

Lisa R.
11-10-2009, 10:25 AM
There's a "sticky" thread at the top of the How To forum that has a number of tricks and tips in it.

sandy57th
11-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Not only is it normal, it is what happens 100% of the time in stockinette st, unless you do a few things-- such as have borders in either ribbing (for an even number of sts, k1, p1 across each row is an example, but there are many variations on ribbing) or garter st (all stitches or all rows knitted, never purling, or all sts and rows purled and never knitted) or seed/moss st (for an even number of sts, you would k1, p1 on odd numbered rows, and p1, k1 on even numbered rows). By borders, I mean along all edges and sides of the scarf. There are lots of options, but these are a few. The point being-- you did nothing wrong, it's what st st does unless there's something at the borders to stop it.

melmac51
11-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Until recently, I thought I was the only one who had this "problem". Some years ago, I knitted (in stockinette) a scarf for my daughter. I didn't like the way it curled in, so I frogged to the beginning, doubled the width and knitted it again. Then I sewed up the long sides and made a "tube" scarf on purpose! It was so toasty warm, and I began getting orders for more from friends and family. :)

Then, I gathered the short ends, and put a huge tassel on each end to finish it off.

cftwo
11-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Stockinette (one row knit, one row purl) will curl. But you can mix up knit and purl stitches in the same row to make your scarf flat - a ribbing or a seed stitch or a double-seed stitch work nicely. I really like the double seed stitch for a scarf...

Cast on an number of stitches divisible by 4 (24 or 32 or 36 or whatever makes your scarf the right width).
Rows 1 and 2: knit 2, purl 2 - repeat this pattern until the end of the row.
Rows 3 and 4: purl 2, knit 2 - repeat across
Repeat these 4 rows until the scarf is as long as you'd like it to be and bind off. Add fringe if you want.

CoolestPenga
11-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Oh goodness, I didn't even see that. Sorry for such a newbie question lol Thanks for the all the help everyone :) After clicking on that link it all snow balled and I feel like I doubled my knitting info.

Thanks for the recommendation ctfwo, I tried it out and quite liking the way it's turning out :)

Melmac, I literrally lol'ed at this because that's exactly what I did! I got like halfway through it and then scrapped it and started it with more stitches. That's a good idea though. I actually like tube scarf look, it just wasn't what I expected!
On to scarf part deux... maybe a hat so I can use the st st and cheer it on for curling instead of getting upset with it.
Thanks again!