PDA

View Full Version : sl st

windyone
11-11-2009, 10:42 AM
when not specified do I slip st as if to purl

Ingrid
11-11-2009, 11:24 AM
When you do a ssk or sl,k,psso, you slip as if to knit. In any other case, slip as if to purl unless the pattern tells you otherwise.

KnittingDogs
11-12-2009, 10:25 PM
If there is a YO in front of the Sl 1, K1, PSSO then I would slip as if to purl? Sorry if this seems so obvious but I've just completely messed up an easy dishcloth by not understanding this one row. I'm on my third try. Thank you for your help.

suzeeq
11-12-2009, 10:42 PM
No. If you slip a stitch that's part of a decrease, you always slip as if to knit (or it will be twisted). The Yo is a separate action from slipping the st or the decrease and it has no bearing on how you slip the st.

KnittingDogs
11-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Ok. Thank you, that's helpful information. I still cannot get this row to work.

Christmas Lace Dishcloth (http://wishingiwasknitting.blogspot.com/2007/12/christmas-lace-dishcloth.html)

I've cast on 34 stitches and the pattern works fine until this row:

K3, *K3, YO, Sl 1, K1, PSSO,* 5 times, K3, K3

I'm somehow losing a stitch in the 5 time repeat. If my math is correct, the repeat should be a total of 25 sts so each set should be 5 sts. I come out with 4.

suzeeq
11-13-2009, 01:06 AM
Right the rpt is k3, yo dec which uses 5 sts and ends with 5 sts. K3, wrap the yarn around the needle so it's in back, slip a st to the left needle and knit 1, then take the slipped st (not the YO) and pass it over the knit 1. The right needle will have the k3, the YO, and the k1 on it for 5 sts.

KnittingDogs
11-13-2009, 07:14 AM
So I'm wrapping the yarn all the way around the needle counterclockwise and to the back again. I am not slipping a stitch to the right needle, I'm slipping it to the left? I am so embarrassed that I cannot understand this.

Mirl56
11-13-2009, 08:05 AM
no, the slipped stitch starts on the left needle, slide or slip it to the right.

Try taking each step one at a time.
K3, *K3, YO, Sl 1, K1, PSSO,* 5 times, K3, K3

the first k3 is your border
knit 3
YO - bring yarn between the needle tips, around the right needle and to the back.
slip 1
knit 1
pass that slipped stitch over the knit stitch (these 2 stitches are
on the right needle

WandaT
11-13-2009, 08:17 AM
Just curious - did you get it to work yet? Don't be embarrassed! We've all been there trying to learn!

KnittingDogs
11-13-2009, 09:03 AM
Thank you for the step by step instructions. I see my error now. I was bringing the yo to the front, sl 1 and the putting the yarn back through the center of the needles and then k1. I don't think I ever would have gotten this without those details you provided. :muah:

As a side note, the 2 videos I watched on youtube for this process do it the way I was originally doing it. Obviously, they are doing it in a different context and I've decided not to worry about what will happen when I get to my next new pattern because I love knitting so far and don't want to give up out of fear or frustration that I'll never understand it all.

Thank you everyone for making me feel welcome. I can't try it yet because I had to go to work, but I can't wait to get home tonight and try it.

Jennifer

suzeeq
11-13-2009, 10:35 AM
The videos you watched were doing a slip stitch that isn't part of a decrease. That's an altogether different technique where you bring the yarn to the front, slip a stitch, then take it to the back and the slip st leaves a strand in front of the stitch for a decorative effect. When you search videos for how to do something, you can't always isolate one step of a process when you search because that step may be used another way.

KnittingDogs
11-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Thanks for clarifying that, Sue. I appreciate the explanation and help.