PDA

View Full Version : Crochet

addey411
11-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Does anybody know how to connect your crocheting hook onto your little scarf and decorate the edges and make cute little strings hanging down from it like the ones at the store??:wink:

:knitting:

melmac51
11-13-2009, 11:16 AM
Yes. That's called "fringe".

Here's what you do: Cut several lengths of yarn twice as long as you want your fringe to be. Fold each one in half. Stick your hook into the end of your scarf (always making sure that you put it in from the same side). Catch the piece of yarn where it folds with your hook, and then pull the fold partway through the scarf. Next, take your two ends of the piece of yarn and pull them through the fold that you just pulled through your scarf. Tighten it and...voila! Fringe!! Repeat evenly across the ends of your scarf.

If you want your fringe a little thicker, then put 2 or 3 folded pieces together and pull them through your scarf.

Trim all the ends and there you have it.

Hope this helps!

addey411
11-13-2009, 10:28 PM
thank alot that'll look really cool!!

jebers
11-19-2009, 12:33 AM
I've also done a loopy fringe where on the ends you chain X number of stitches, then slip stitch back down the chains, skip the next stitch, sc in next stitch then repeat.

When googling it here are the instructions I found :
Bottom Fringe: Chain 1, single crochet in the first unused chain loop; *chain 30, sc in the next unused chain loop; repeat from * across the short end.

Top Fringe: Chain 1, single crochet in first single crochet of top row; * ch 30, sc in next single crochet; repeat from * across the end, join with a slip stitch to first single crochet of the border. Finish off yarn.

Don't know if that's even close to the kind of fringe you want, but it's another option. :)

Good luck :)

MGM
11-19-2009, 04:14 PM
I did a little tutorial on how to make fringe a while ago. You can find it by clicking HERE (http://www.hookedonneedles.com/2008/09/crocheted-scarves-for-special-olympics.html). In that picture tutorial, I show how to make fringe using a crochet hook, and also using a latch hook like you would use to make a rug.

I hope you find this helpful.

MGM