PDA

View Full Version : so I was in that dreaded place tonight (WM)

UruzPhoenix
11-13-2009, 05:39 PM
and i can't believe the number of knitted items for winter, not only dirt cheap but poorly made...

ie: fingerless mitts with the optional flip top had buttons on EACH finger to hold the flip top back...

scarves (even saw a rip off of the irish hiking scarf)... a couple that I've seen the patterns for for free on ravelry, a couple I didn't (sorry, not going to go and spend $12 to figure out the pattern they used.... it looks relatively easy anywho)

I'm just hoping that the gifts i'm currently knitting for yule people don't think I just went and bought em cheap crud at WM.....

suzeeq
11-13-2009, 06:08 PM
I doubt hand knit items look the same as storebought items.

UruzPhoenix
11-13-2009, 09:40 PM
I doubt hand knit items look the same as storebought items.

hand knit doesn't look the same as machine knit... but there are a lot of patterns i've seen on ravelry (including some that were in magknits) that they attempted to duplicate via machine knitting and sell at wm.

ah well.... we all know handknit is better than storebought :)

suzeeq
11-13-2009, 10:29 PM
The fashion industry copies designs from each other all the time. There may be similar patterns that you see on ravelry, but sometimes certain styles will be 'hot' and retailers want to cash in on that. Look at Target, Sears and Kmart too, as well as Macys and Nordstroms, and you'll find a lot of the same trends.

meowmeowmeow
11-15-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm going to have to agree with Suzeeq.The fashion industry does borrow designs from each other all the time.This is why in the end I didn't decide to go to fashion school, but instead decided to do what I knew and figure the rest out. It usually goes from runway to various levels of knockoffs. You get your Bloomingdales knockoffs, Nordstrom, Macys, JC Penny and eventually it all goes down to Wal*Mart, Target, and Kmart.Usually the cheaper alternatives are somewhat simplified versions of the original runway inspiration.My fashion design teacher in high school actually copied sewing patterns for a living.Her job was to create knockoffs for Nordstrom.

Similarly,people on ravelry copy their patterns from knitting books and vogue all the time, usually presenting them as their own original idea.

Ever heard of the quote "Everything that can be invented has been invented " ?

suzeeq
11-15-2009, 04:00 PM
I was just in Target this morning and they have the flip top fingerless mitts with a button too. And Infinity scarves, fisherman's rib/brioche scarves, crochet granny square scarves, etc...