PDA

View Full Version : Ribbed Shrug Erika Knight Question

MaryJB
11-14-2009, 05:37 PM
I spotted a shrug on Ravelry called Ribbed Shurg by Erika Knight. I am just over the sizing allowances. Could I add on the extra stitches as I see it goes I think in changes of 6 stitches. Or, would I be better using a size larger needle and hope for the best?

suzeeq
11-14-2009, 06:35 PM
You can try a larger needle first, if your gauge is a bit bigger then you don't have to adjust the stitch number.

MaryJB
11-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Thanks, I tend to knit loose anyway. I usually have to go down a size needle to make guage

MaryJB
11-14-2009, 09:56 PM
I have been looking at the reviews of this shrug and wonder if anyone would have approximate yardage. It looks like a large skein
(5) ounces should do it.
Am I correct that you just try any yarn and try to get guage by adjusting needle size? I really like to work with a 4 ply yarn as that allows for larger needles.

I appreciate all of your helpful hints for us who are not really acquainted with all the different yarns etc.

suzeeq
11-14-2009, 11:10 PM
You can't always use 'just any yarn' and get gauge by using a different size needle. A bulky yarn subbed for a dk can be knit on size 6s, but you won't get anywhere close to the same gauge as a dk on size 6s. Sometimes you can knit a thinner yarn on larger needles and get the gauge, but it's going to be looser and possibly too holes. So there are limits, but in general, you can sub a similar yarn and use whatever needle size will give you gauge and a fabric you like.

When you say 4 ply yarn, is that handspun, 4 ply worsted or what? Australia and NZ use ply as a weight and their 4 ply would be fingering weight for us. See this page (http://yarnforward.com/tension.html) for yarn weights and tension explanations.

MaryJB
11-15-2009, 05:13 PM
I was thinking worsted.