PDA

View Full Version : The BEST Books on Knitting!

TrudyBelle
11-18-2009, 04:07 PM
Hi there! I am SO happy to find knittinghelp!
I began knitting just over a year ago, and I absolutely love it. I used to read all day, and now I knit!

Actually, I got to knitting through a novel - which is now one of my :heart: favorite:heart: books of all time. Its called "Sadie Shapiro's Knitting Book"
Its a novel about knitting - not a how to book, but a really fabulous, funny, awesome story.
I will share the book with you - check it out!

Here is a video by the author - Robert Kimmel Smith. I Highly recommend this novel!!!:thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKvKEhWOopA

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n63/n316261.jpg

Please share your favorite books on knitting, too!
- TB

CountryNaturals
11-18-2009, 04:43 PM
Since I learned to knit when I was a kid, I'm pretty set in my ways, but I found "The Complete Encyclopedia of Stitchery" at a yard sale for 50-cents. It's old and probably out of print, but it has everything I need as a reference book for knit, crochet, macrame, even tatting, plus all the other needle crafts. I get everything else I could want right here at KnittingHelp. :cheering:

sandy57th
11-18-2009, 04:59 PM
You're not going to like my answer, but The Principles of Knitting by Hiatt, now out of print, which can run up to $400 for a new copy (used is usually about $150).

goknitterpurler
11-18-2009, 11:15 PM
I absolutely love Debbie Stoller's Stitch N Bitch: The Knitters Handbook !!

Lemongirl
11-19-2009, 11:42 AM
I absolutely love Debbie Stoller's Stitch N Bitch: The Knitters Handbook !!

I just bought this and am learning to knit from it, it's great!!

Ellieblue
11-20-2009, 12:49 PM
My favorites are Charted Knitting Designs by barbara Walker and for overall how to's The Readers Digest Complete Guide to Needlework. The latter has instructions for every craft that uses yarn/string.

scotia
11-20-2009, 01:07 PM
I ordered two knitting books last week, and have just sent one of them back.
I kept Stitchstyle Bags as it was so cheap but have sent Pam Allens Bag Style book back as the only patterns I really liked in it are free on Ravelry!