PDA

View Full Version : What else do you guys do besides knit?

meowmeowmeow
11-22-2009, 01:34 AM
I picked up knitting because I am absolutely addicted to picking up crafts and hobbies.I collect them, and I must admit, at times I have gone too far.

I mainly draw(graphite) and sew/design. I've picked up a lot of random crafts over my 19 years of being alive. I guess most of it has come about because of my being raised by a penny pincher though. I always see things that I like and I think "This is nice...but I bet I could make it for 5 bucks cheaper!"

Aside from those crafts, I also crochet, do origami, make random cardboard and paper crafts(last FO was a recipe box), I do makeup(glam, pinup and wedding), I refinish/refurbish thrift store finds for my house(this is more specific to the objects I find, so with new items,I have to learn new techniques), I made duc tape purses,messenger bags and wallets for a while; and in a few days, I will be making my first piece of furniture, a new queen sized platform bed for myself and the bf.I designed it so that the slats will come off in one piece and make room for 4 40 gallon storage bins plus there is a shelf for shoe storage which is not concealed by the mattress.Note: I am not even including the other time consuming hobbies that are not craft related, like playing instruments.

Am I the only hoarder on here?I always wonder what dozens of other crafts other people pick up. I am honestly surprised I have any time for friends.It seems that I can only squeeze in time for actually CREATING the things I think of between the time it takes to plan them out.

Jan in CA
11-22-2009, 02:13 AM
Oh boy...I'm way older than you are. :lol: I have crocheted and did a bit of embroidery, but I haven't really done much of that in years. I also used to sew both hand and machine. Now, I mostly read when I'm not knitting.

I'm also pretty neat and not a hoarder. My DH would go nuts. :teehee:

Mommyof2andangel
11-22-2009, 11:20 AM
I knit, sew costumes, quilt, make little felt animals for my kids, I make reborn babies, I sew clothing, I do graphic design, cross stitch, embroider, and I make memory boxes to donate to the local hospital

I'm not really a hoarder. I do collect thing, but I keep them pretty organized lol. My reborn baby supplies are the ones that are most disorganized

mathwizard
11-22-2009, 11:30 AM
In between my knitting and crocheting, I find time to squeeze in sewing, quilting, embroidery, needlepoint, crewel, rug hooking, and a few crafts I don't do anymore as I lost interest in them and will not mention them. I do spend time reading science fiction fantasy, novels, mysteries, listening to music while I read, watch a bit of tv while working on other things and most important I SPEND TIME WITH MY CHILDREN AND FIVE CATS!!!!!:X:

Mirl56
11-22-2009, 11:44 AM
I did a lot of sewing thru the 70's and 80's. Learned to knit and crochet in the 70's too. Set aside my sewing machine in 1991 when my son was born and my sewing room became his bedroom. Pretty much stopped knitting/crochet and became a cross stitch fanatic thru the 80's/90's. Picked up knitting again about 5 yrs ago.

I still get out my sewing machine from time to time. I'm working on destashing the cross stitch stash via craigslist, hoping to only keep a few supplies.

cheley
11-22-2009, 12:16 PM
NO YOUR ARE CERTAINLY NOT THE ONLY "HOARDER" HERE...I inherited tons of stuff..knit, crochet, tatting, broomstick lace, beads, quilt, embroidery, sewing, jiffy loom,cloud9 etc etc....the last 5 years I haven't "worked" (SAHM) umm, (by adoption), so I have tried to sqeeze/ learn all these crafts in the last few years...I also LOVE refinishing tag sale finds....The only drawback for me is my flower gardens/veg garden has really suffered:sad: but my fav is knitting for charity, that always comes first.....:hug: Right now I have 5 WIPS

labeelady
11-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Glad I'm not the only one who has a several things going!

I also crochet, have gotten back into sewing a bit, bought a new serger, and have recently purchased a new embroidery machine.

One thing I haven't figured out is how to embroider on knitted or crocheted items. One option is to attach appliques. Has anyone tried this?

etoilechaude
11-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Between knitting, playing the flute in the semi-pro symphonic band and playing video games I don't have much time (or money!!) for other hobbies ;o)

globaltraveler
11-22-2009, 04:07 PM
I've sewn for a living since I was 17, so I don't do it much for fun, and my various stashes of fabric, beads, jewelry making supplies, home decor items, etc. all count more as supplies for work than they do for hobbies...or so I tell the tax man, anyway. I play Irish trad music on the fiddle. I read a lot. I mainly stress about immigration issues and business stuff these days...

vaudiss
11-22-2009, 04:58 PM
My craft hoarding started recently...I've crocheted for years, dabbled in jewlery making, sewing (majored in theater and LOOOOOOVEd the costume shop), more recently I've learned to tat, playing w/ the french knitting thing, and last week learned to knit. I also play w/ bobbin lace (getting a pillow for xmas or bday), crossstiched for a while when i was younger....I play civil war and much of this goes also w/ that :aww:

brolie
11-22-2009, 06:29 PM
i am a big hobby person but not so much crafty...

im a singer song writer and i play guitar...
i LOOOOVEEE reading.
video games.
and i also consider message boards as a sort of hobby.. :)

Lyndalm
11-22-2009, 06:41 PM
I am a professional model stitcher, am addicted to video games, crochet, quilt, oh, and did I mention video games?

brolie
11-22-2009, 06:56 PM
so you play zelda at all? i even got the triforce tattoo

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/brolie/01-04-09_1524.jpg

Sknitter56
11-22-2009, 06:59 PM
I scuba dive, ride my bike every night while my dog runs beside me, and I love to read. A Kindle is on my list for Santa this year. I've tried and tried to sew, but no luck. Right now, DH and I have decided to downsize, so we're painting our ENTIRE house inside, I'm ripping up the baseboards/quarter round and just generally trying to get it ready to sell. We're hoping to find some land and a smaller place so I can retire in peace with no house payment hanging over our heads.

brolie
11-22-2009, 07:14 PM
oh i got the kindle for a birthday present this year and i LOOOVE it.. i am currently reading a series that just happens to not be available for the kindle so i havent picked it up in the past couple of weeks but i looove it.. it was the best present (other than chevelle tickets haha)

xmasangel69
11-22-2009, 09:29 PM
I just learned to spin! That and read alot.

Ronda
11-22-2009, 10:47 PM
Between knitting, playing the flute in the semi-pro symphonic band and playing video games I don't have much time (or money!!) for other hobbies ;o)

The flute! I love the flute. Always wanted to play it. I tried in grade school but I was told I didn't have the mouth for it. I went on to play the clarinet and oboe instead, but hated it so eventually dropped it. So my daughter started playing an instrument last year. She started with the flute. I bought her one - not rented, bought. She ended up switching to the violin. Now I OWN a flute but I still can't play it. I tried, but I can't get the right kind of "noise" to come out of it!

I play piano, so at least I have that!

I knit. That's about it for crafts for me right now. I used to cross stitch. I work full time and have 2 kids, one of whom is in ballet 3 to 4 days a week, so my free time is limited. I like to read and I work out, so I usually have to choose between knitting, reading, or working out.

zkimom
11-22-2009, 10:49 PM
I take pictures and I'm learning to ride. In the warmer weather, I'm at the barn at least 3 times a week. In the cold, just once.

But I take pictures most of the time and then blog about them cause I like to write.

WandaT
11-23-2009, 10:11 AM
Well, I've done some kind of craft(s) all my life. My mom taught me to crochet and sew when I was really little. I started cross stitching as a teen and that stuck for a long time - in between all kinds of other crafts. At this point in my life, though, I still stamp and scrapbook, love to create my own jewelry, read, play with photography and sew just a bit. I tend to knit more than anything else but these are my other current hobbies.

Lyndalm
11-23-2009, 10:14 AM
cool tattoo! You gonna colour put in it?

AngelaR
11-23-2009, 10:18 AM
I garden and have extensive gardens at my house. I also bake and read. Since My family and job are high stress, I lean towards hobbies that soothe me.

However, I have been known to throw clods of dirt at kids and husband.

brolie
11-23-2009, 11:14 AM
cool tattoo! You gonna colour put in it?

im getting mine filled with gold or yellow on the "wisdom" one... my older brother "power" and my younger brother "courage"... but i havent had the funds yet.. ^_^

margz3
11-23-2009, 11:26 AM
I've always enjoyed doing crafty things, with varying degrees of success. I crochet a tad, but prefer knitting. I have done cross stitch. A couple of years ago I was given a case of martini glasses and decided to try my hand at glass painting - why, I have no idea as I can't even draw a stick figure, but much to my delight the glasses came out really well! Been meaning to get back at it again, but am afraid it was a one time lucky shot. I also recently was looking into scrolling, but I haven't purchased the supplies yet. I love to read, garden and cook as well.

Irishmam
11-23-2009, 11:34 AM
Thanks for this post, it is something I have often wondered too

Knitting is my only craft which seems to make me quite unusual although I used to cross stich years ago.

I am a big reader, currently reading 4 books at one, one about a knitting club. I run 3 to 4 times a week which is as much for my mind as my body. I am also a Leader with the Brownies (Girl Guides/Girl Scouts).

Irishmam

AngieLanigan
11-23-2009, 12:03 PM
I scuba dive, ride my bike every night while my dog runs beside me, and I love to read. A Kindle is on my list for Santa this year. I've tried and tried to sew, but no luck. Right now, DH and I have decided to downsize, so we're painting our ENTIRE house inside, I'm ripping up the baseboards/quarter round and just generally trying to get it ready to sell. We're hoping to find some land and a smaller place so I can retire in peace with no house payment hanging over our heads.

I'm a big reader, and I love my Sony ebook Reader!

Knitting is actually my most recent crafty hobby. I used to cross-stitch, but haven't done that since my high school years. My biggest passion is photography, which is both a hobby and a part-time profession for me. I also enjoy sewing and scrapbooking.

UruzPhoenix
11-23-2009, 12:15 PM
read, sew, crochet, quilt, play sports w/ my minions...

mostly I knit whenever i can though :)

brolie
11-23-2009, 12:46 PM
I am a big reader, currently reading 4 books at one, one about a knitting club.

whats the title of that book? when i worked in the cafe i remember seeing a book kinda like that and wanted to read it but never got to it

Doublereeder2
11-23-2009, 11:40 PM
You mean there are things other than knitting???

Actually, I used to do counted cross-stitch, but it was getting too hard to see. I spin a little bit, sew a little and love to cook.

I am a professional oboist :note:, teach privately :note:and am adjunct at a university. Making reeds is a necessity for us, so I always have my hands in something.

Between the students, rehearsals, performances and reed making, knitting and spinning make nice calming diversions from this high stress profession.

CivicSista
11-24-2009, 08:56 AM
This is going to sound totally out there, but I race cars. I got into it from when I was a little girl and would always follow my dad around at the tracks when he raced. I just finished my second season of wheel to wheels racing, but have been racing cars since I was 16, am 25 now. The last race of the season is a HUGE deal in the racing season, and my dad and I made it into the national magazine :)
http://gallery.mac.com/civicsista/100007/SportsCar%20magazine_1/web.jpg?ver=12586906250001

Besides knitting and racing, I work a lot and am in school full time. I also like to bake and cook when I have a night off.

I used to collect American Girl dolls, but that got phased out when I moved, now all my doll stuff is in storage in milwaukee, and I now live in MN.

Wow talk about a life story..... he he

Liz 14
11-24-2009, 09:52 AM
I knit, crochet and embroider. In my spare time I manage to do some gardening and read quite a lot. We are a farily large family and as we have 6 grand children are usually asked to babysit for some of the smaller ones.I find all this keeps my life fairly fulltime and enoyable

Crycket
11-24-2009, 10:10 AM
I am learning to crochet, and just broke into my heddle loom for the first time last week....so much fun!

Mostly...if I don't have a knit project in hand, I am at my computer playing World of Warcraft or Sims 3, or working on my cross stitch!

saracidaltendencies
11-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Other than knitting I also crochet, I used to do cross stitch and a little bit of quilting, I read and occasionally write (poetry and short stories), every now and again I break out my sewing machine, I love photography, have dabbled in jewelry making (beaded bracelets and necklaces), I mess around with my web site and Paint Shop Pro on occasion, occasionally restore old photos...Hmm, I think that's about it...lol

melmac51
11-24-2009, 03:03 PM
I love to crochet and knit. I also do a lot of reading , and play on the computer. Usually the USA Today crossword puzzle, and other puzzle games like peggles, zuma, jewelquest solitaire. I've made one quilt (a "rag quilt", nothing elaborate, but fun to make just the same!)

I belong to my church's choir, used to play the clarinet. I play at the piano and keyboard. I like to dig in the mud when the weather is nice.

I will (one day) learn to tat, both shuttle tatting, and needle tatting. I have a bobbin lace kit, and would love to learn how to do that too.

...and yes, I must admit, I am a hoarder. Mostly of yarn, crochet hooks, and knitting needles; but I also have various supplies for different other crafts too (beads, fabric, etc.) My craft room is a "yarn shelter". People bring their abandoned yarn to me, and I give it a home. :wink:

brolie
11-24-2009, 04:06 PM
i thought you were talking about tattoos :)

melmac51
11-24-2009, 04:08 PM
You mean "tatting"? LOL No, tatting is a type of lace making.

;)

Irishmam
11-24-2009, 05:57 PM
Hi Brolie,

The book I have been reading is The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs (2007). It is set in New York and is about a single mother who sets up a yarn store and then a knitting club. I enjoyed it.

Irishmam

Lyndalm
11-24-2009, 06:16 PM
That'll be neat!

brolie
11-25-2009, 12:44 PM
Hi Brolie,

The book I have been reading is The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs (2007). It is set in New York and is about a single mother who sets up a yarn store and then a knitting club. I enjoyed it.

Irishmam

yes yes yes thats right.. i was thinking monday night knitting club and couldnt find it haha. we had an announcement at borders for the book and i got all excited because i thought we were really starting a friday night knitting club haha

ArtLady1981
11-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Besides daily activities and work, I only knit. :knitting:

cheryl0759
11-27-2009, 08:28 PM
I love to paint and draw...I have crocheted since I was a young girl..I have never tried to knit and trying to teach myself...Today I figured out to cast on with the help of site video (THANK YOU!)...

Dari
11-27-2009, 11:24 PM
I knit, write, make jewelry (mostly earrings, but I do necklaces as well), write, and work in a theatre. It's a surprise I have time for any of it!

:)

ajsgramma
11-28-2009, 07:31 PM
I've tried all the crafts except spinning, owned a pattern design company for about 7 yrs traveling to quilt shows & sewing venues. I even have a Knit Wit tool from the 70's in my stash.;) Lucky for me because a friend saw the scarf in Martha Stewart Living & wants one. See it pays to never get rid of anything.:teehee:

I'm finally learning to play the guitar after 44 yrs of being married to a guitar player & I play a little piano & flute.

Most of my time is taken up with my 7 yr old grandson - volunteering in his class with reading help - also being room-gramma since all the mom's work. It's a really great part of my week.

I have a Golden Retriever that takes up a lot of my spare time - do you understand "Needy Dog".

When the weather's better I garden - we prefer organic. We also have nearly 200 pecan trees & right now spend every minute picking up the falling pecans - at least the ones the crows & squirrels don't carry away.

I guess I stay pretty busy. Just wish I had more time to finish all the things I wanted to finish for Christmas this year.
(((HUGS)))Verna

mommydearest
11-29-2009, 09:00 AM
I am REALLY glad there are other hoarders out there...

I like everything but not everything likes me. I was taught, a little, to crochet as a kid but nothing more than straight stitches, sc, hdc, dc were fine but no chevron or stuff like that. I've done a lot of cross-stitching of which I have LOTS of thread, patterns and aida cloth, etc... Scrapbooking, stamping, photography, sewing, and knitting along with crocheting and cross-stitching all have a home in my house. I also LOVE to read and workout 6x a week. I have become a workout junky to some degree (I'm in training for 2 Triathlons in May).

I did try to sell some of cross-stitching patterns and cloth in my garage sale but had no takers, which means I took as a sign it wasn't meant to leave my house yet. I always go back to one of my other obsessions at some point or hope my kids want to use it. My dd does all of the same things and me but also writes poetry and draws. She wants to be a tattoo artist but has to wait until she's 18. My son can do most of these same things but won't - except sew, which he learned in school this year.

I'm glad I have these things in the house as they will never go "bad" if taken care of properly. Oh, and I love my techy stuff too.

Mary

blessedtosew
11-29-2009, 11:26 PM
I sew...alot. I really debated taking up teaching myself to learn to knit, because of the possibility that it might interfere with my sewing, but I find that when I sit in the chair in front of the television, I can be knitting when I can't be sewing.

newamy
11-29-2009, 11:56 PM
Wow, there are a lot of talented and crafty folks here!

Currently my main hobby is knitting. I'm thrilled to say I have a hobby such as knitting because for a long time I did not. I think of knitting as a hobby just for me because essentially I figured it out all by myself...meaning prior to knitting did not have friends who knitted and no one in my family knits.

I remember desperately wanting a hobby when I was in my young teens, something special I could do. But I didn't have one. My family wasn't into hobbies that involve making things other than the occasional project here and there and my mom sewed some. Hobbies in my childhood home tended to be reading and collecting...I once had a huge Piggy bank collection. Around the time I was desperate for a hobby a neighbor taught me to latch hook and then I learned a bit of needle point but it didn't stick. I can sew and occasionally work on sewing project. Before I took up knitting my main hobby was reading and still is a most favorite activity. Sometimes I write stories for friends. While reading is fun there is no creative outlet, no doing on my part. I tried to write a bit so I could be the creator. My writing has slowed a lot now that I knit because I have a new avenue of being creative. I also occasionally ride a bike or walk; I try to exercise because it is good for me but I don't like it and can never find any redeeming qualities in exercise, other than it being a healthy activity.

The rest of the time I'm busy with work and life and just happy that now my hobby is knitting.

*KnitPixie*
11-30-2009, 03:07 AM
Am I the only hoarder on here?I always wonder what dozens of other crafts other people pick up. I am honestly surprised I have any time for friends.It seems that I can only squeeze in time for actually CREATING the things I think of between the time it takes to plan them out.
NO, absolutely not! You are definitely not alone in this fact lol. I pretty much take on every craft that I see:teehee: Aside from knitting... I dye yarn, crochet a little, sew(machine & hand), make patchwork quilts,cross stitch/embroider, make jewelry or stitch markers, scrapbook, make things with polymer clay, dabble in photography & pottery/ceramics in elective classes at my college( I am in my senior year and needed some electives), paint, upcycle things, and I am currently learning to spin my own yarn on a cute old fashioned wheel I bought for $25 and fixed up over time. There is probably a ton more crafts that I do that I cannot think of lol;) Problem is I spend so much time planning out a project to the point of perfection and due to this fact, paired with a rheumatoid condition and that there are so many crafts on the table I rarely actually complete anything:aww: but I can honestly say that I enjoy every minute of my time crafting... whether its planning or executing the plan lol:teehee: Oh and I also am very frugal and am always saying things like
"Oh I bet that I can make that"...as if I need more to do:roflhard: :rofl: :eyes: :lol:

*UPDATE* I read this post to my fiance as I was laughing aloud and he wanted to know why ...he told me this post is proof that I am a "Craft Whore" LOL

knitwit101
11-30-2009, 06:51 PM
hmm,let's see. I work with dogs,I am doing a lot of school work because I am wanting to go to vet school when I graduate(there is no knitting in that,but oh well),I play piano and clarinette.