PDA

View Full Version : Help Ready to Quit these DPNS

ndaisy
11-23-2009, 01:28 PM
In the couple of weeks I have learned to knit, I have made hats, scarves, wtist warmers.. learned yarn sizes needles etc and I just cant get these DPNS and the rib stitch, my brain just fries on the concept. I know how to do circles needles in the round and just cant get this.

I am doing a K!K2 rib stitch because I gave up on the k2p2 because I kept loosing count figured this was easier for now. I went to a size 7 dpn to get the concept of the dpns and have that down. I have a good joing finally and my cast on is very nice.. I just can NOT for the life of me figure out what to do when I finish the first round. Do I keep doing K1P1? Because its in the round is this becoing a St st like doing ciricles in the round with just the Knit stitch?

All I am getting now is a bunch of seedy looking stitches with bars.
Cast on is 40...

This is so simple and I just cant grasp it.. please anyone provide some different views on seeing this so I can get it to stick.

thanks again
Cheri

Becky Morgan
11-23-2009, 01:37 PM
If you're getting seed stitch, you're purling the knits and knitting the purls.

Take a look at a piece of stockinette stitch from the front. That's what knit stitches look like. If you turn it over, you'll see all purls. Being able to recognize what each looks like is a huge help. When you're working ribbing in the round, you knit the knit stitches and purl the purls so they're "stacked", so to speak. If you can read your knitting, it's far easier than counting all the time.

Mirl56
11-23-2009, 01:41 PM
is the ribbing you're doing k1 p1? (there's a typo on your 2nd pharagraph, so I'm not sure). If so, you should be good with your cast on of 40 to just keep going around and around in k1 p1. Once you finish the first 40 stitches, the next stitch will be a k1 so you keep on as established.

Ribbing in the round can look a bit messy for the first 2 even 3 rounds. But keep at it, once you get more then 1/2" of stiching it should start looking proper.

Jan in CA
11-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Take a deep breath, you'll get it. :hug:

You've probably read or heard that ribbing is knitting the knit stitches and purling the purl stitches. So when you get to the second round if you started with a knit stitch in the first round you will start the second round with a knit stitch. You just follow what you did on your previous row.

The only time this won't work is if you have cast on the incorrect number for the type of ribbing you want to do.

k1p1 is a multiple of 2 - so any even number will work
k2p2 is a multiple of 4 - so the number needs to be evenly divisible by 4. Like 76, 80, 84, 88.

Here's a sample of what the stitches look like.

dorigirl
11-23-2009, 07:40 PM
I just taught myself to knit on double pointed needles. If this is any help, as long as you have cast on the right amount of sts, ribbing in the round is the same as knitting on straight needles. So, my mittens I do k2p2. I just keep doing that without thinking about it until the rib measures two inches. After a few rounds, it's easy to actually see which sts to knit and which to purl.Then I switch to bigger size needles and (I love this part) knit every round for the st st effect. I love it!

meowmeowmeow
11-24-2009, 03:37 AM
When I was learning to knit, I learned quickly that if I hoped to get anywhere I would need to learn to identify my stitches.

Knit: To make the V shape towards you.The opposite side should have a bump aka a "purl bump"

Purl: To knit away or make the V shape away from you(on the other side) so that you have a bump instead on your side.

If you knit a whole row on straight needles and purl the other(stockinette stitch) for a few rows, you'll get it a little better.
When you do stockinette, your first row is (usually) all knit; you knit towards yourself.When you finish and turn the work for the second row(and other even numbered rows) you need to purl or knit away so that all the knits are on the same side.By alternating between knitting towards and away from yourself, you get all the Vs on the same side and create the stockinette look.

When you work in the round, you are not having to turn the work.You are always working on a continuous RS or Right Side so there is no reason to alternate.You knit the knits and purl the purls.(Knit the Vs and purl the bumps.) If your first round was say, k2p2k2p2, your second round and all other rounds would be identical as long as you want to continue ribbing.If you wanted to switch to stockinette, you would forget the purls and knit through all of it for as many rows as you want stockinette.

Edit: Also, if your ribbing in the round isn't working, you may have cast on the wrong number of stitches.Look at it like this:

first row is k2p2k2p2.Knitting in the round does not require turning so it's like one continuous row. If you put the same row next to it, it should continue the ribbing like this:

k2p2k2p2[k2p2k2p2][k2p2k2p2] <-- the knits come after the purls in the next round, continuing the ribbing.

AngelaR
11-24-2009, 10:04 AM
I've just started knitting on DPNs and quickly learned that you count your stitches on each pass, especially when you're knitting a tube that has to stay in line with some other part of your pattern. If you are knitting a ribbing it's very important that you have an even number of stitches. If you start out even and then come up odd after the next row, you've knitted where you should have purled or vice-versa. If you're familiar enough with what your stitches should look like, it should be easy enough to go back and correct (which is why I love DPNs, fewer stitches on any given needle),

The picture above is a wonderful example. Kudos to whoever posted it.