PDA

View Full Version : Does first double cast-on make two stitches?

naisula
12-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Hi, I'm a newbie starting my first project! I noticed that when I do the double cast-on method, the first "cast-on" makes two stitches. This is how I'm supposed to count it, right? So I'm counting the number of stitches on the needle, as opposed to counting the number of times I "cast on" (if that makes any sense??) Thanks in advance!

suzeeq
12-06-2009, 05:45 PM
The slip knot is counted as a stitch, so when you do that, it's your first cast on st. Then you work the LT cast on and yes, count the sts on your needle.

globaltraveler
12-06-2009, 05:45 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by double cast-on, but yes, many cast-ons do give you two stitches with the first set up stitch. Count the stitches on the needle unless your directions say otherwise!

naisula
12-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the replies. I forgot that sometimes people use a slip-knot. I do not (I followed the example per the video posted here on KH). But I will go by the stitches on my needle. Thanks again!

suzeeq
12-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Yep, I quit using the slip knot a few years ago and just lay the yarn over the needle. It still makes a stitch.

Zina, double caston is another name for the Long tail because you use 2 strands of yarn. Knit, backward loop and cable castons are called single COs because they don't use the tail yarn, only the working yarn.

vaudiss
12-06-2009, 08:23 PM
THe first day or so I used the slip knot but since I learned how to needle tat 1st (you use the cast on stitch as the 1st have of a tatting double stitch) I decided it just made more since for me to do away w/ the slip knot....I don't get 2 stitches that way but...hmmmmmm i'm not being helpful :) But if you want to learn to tat then you're half way to learning the stitches:aww:

globaltraveler
12-06-2009, 08:42 PM
Are any of the other two-strand cast-ons known as a/the "double cast-on", or just the Long Tail, Sue?

suzeeq
12-06-2009, 10:13 PM
The other variations of long tail - twisted German, old Norwegian, though they're not usually called a 'double cast on'. Possibly some of the tubular castons use two strands as well, though I'm not real familiar with them.

globaltraveler
12-07-2009, 04:59 AM
Yeah, my favorite right now for ribbing is the mock-tubular cast-on, and it's a two strand as well. Just curious whether they were all called a double cast-on, so thanks for that!