PDA

View Full Version : OT: Avon/Mark Representative

*KnitPixie*
12-14-2009, 05:49 AM
Hi everyone... I have been wanting to sell Avon for approx. two years now and as a college student I didn't really feel I could fit it into my schedule. I also felt like I would be taking away from my Aunt as she began selling it. However, I now know that we both can sell Avon and it doesn't really matter as we will be selling to seperate groups of people anyhow. I am graduating in May and I think I am finally ready to dive in and become a representative as I will have more time to do it:happydance: :yay: :woot: its about time that I will finally get to accomplish some of the things that I have been wanting to do cloud9
Soo I spoke with a Woman from Avon about a five days ago and she said they will be sending me a comprehensive folder filled with information on becoming a representative for my area. I am soo excited .... I figured I can score some pretty makeup and at the same time a little cash for stash:teehee:
Any input or advice anyone has for me would be greatly appreciated as I am new to this whole scene:wink: Does anyone on here sell Avon? Do you like it?

Feel free to pm me and thanks again:hug:

saracidaltendencies
12-14-2009, 10:28 AM
I did sell Avon for a few years, however, for me it wasn't a successful venture. There is a minimum purchase amount each campaign and if you don't have any orders, you have to order something to remain an active representative. I have enough make-up, lotion, perfume, and body spray to last a lifetime! :teehee: A huge part of selling is being able to reach a large group of people and getting repeat customers...Unfortunately, at the time I was selling, neither of my kids were in school and I didn't know many people outside of my family...Then the economy took that turn for the worse and I couldn't afford to sell (buy...lol) anymore.

I think, probably one of the best things you can do before you start selling is letting friends and family know you will be selling and talk with them about the Avon product line...Get an idea of how many prospective customers you'll have and who would be most willing and likely to buy. Once you start selling, give your brochures only to those people you feel would be most likely to buy (brochures alone can get expensive) and, for a monthly fee, you can have an Avon website directly through Avon. If your monthly sales are high enough, you may want to sell online. Also, you can utilize the Avon site...If you run out of brochures, let your customers know they can order everything plus more through Avon's website and you will still get the credit as long as they enter your phone number when prompted to input their rep.

The key, really, is vigilance and repeat customers. Avon has some awesome products and you can get some great deals especially through the Demo catalogs. When you have a loyal customer base, take advantage of the demo products so you can offer things like the Anew line, which gets pricey, at a discounted price.

If ya need any more info, feel free to PM me!!

UruzPhoenix
12-14-2009, 05:35 PM
i used to but stopped for a variety of reasons, the biggest one:

They would expect me to continue to charge my customers for items which I'd never recieved

sorry, but i don't play that way. It also ends up costing you more in the long run... you have to buy books, buy the bags to deliver stuff in, pay for samples, etc.

meowmeowmeow
12-14-2009, 06:35 PM
You...know...it's ....a pyramid scam....right?

Various television shows have run satirical episodes because of Avon >_>

Debkcs
12-17-2009, 03:31 AM
I've never sold Avon, and don't care for the products for myself, due to skin sensitivities, but have studied business models for years, and they are not a pyramid scheme.

Avon is direct marketing, not for everyone, but many women have found great success with the company. We have a charity that gives out donated clothing to women who want to better their lives, and one of the ways some of them have done this is to build direct marketing businesses.

Yes, it can be tricky to do, not for those of us who don't like rejection, but Avon, Mary Kay, the old Tupperware company, and many others have helped people add to their incomes.

newamy
12-20-2009, 09:48 PM
My mom sold Avon for several years when I was in jr high and high school (1980's) and beyond. She quit maybe 10 years ago? She didn't like it that the ordering went all computerized, but that was a generational thing.

When orders arrived I usually helped sort and pack them, so have a big clean space to do that in!

The packing boxes are great for moving and storage so that's a bonus.

If you also work and your company doesn't object you can leave catalogs in the break room. If you live in apartment maybe you can circulate in common areas or the laundry.
I grew up in a small town and my mom would do canvasses periodically where she literally went door to door. No one does that anymore...but she would leave the catalogs on door steps. She had numerous regular customers and would visit with them and so forth. If the customer base dwindled she would do another canvas. Lots of her friends bought. In retrospect it was rather amazing. If someone was selling Avon to me I don't know that I would buy that regularly, but I don't buy make up in the store regularly, rarely wear perfume. I used to really like one kind of hand lotion they sold and would buy that regularly. Anyway, she had some customers that would buy every time!

Good Luck and have fun with it. Don't neglect the monthly Avon meetings, if they still have those.