PDA

View Full Version : first hook

Aramis3737
12-15-2009, 01:19 AM
Hi All,

Am getting a whiff of how much fun crochet must be from watching others, and want to try some simple squares to turn into an afghan someday. What is the ideal hook size for a beginner? (I like 10.5 US knitting needles; is there an equivalent for crochet?)

Best holiday wishes,

Aramis

Becky Morgan
12-15-2009, 09:40 AM
That would be a K hook. I might go a couple of sizes smaller, but that's just me. If a 10.5 works on worsted for you when you knit, it might when you crochet, too.

Basic hooks aren't that expensive, maybe two bucks apiece at worst, so buy or borrow a Boye and a Bates and try both to see which style you like. After that, you can get as exotic as you want to.

Welcome to crochet. I've been a happy hooker even longer than I've played with pointy sticks. There IS such a place as Crochetville.org, you know ;)

suzeeq
12-15-2009, 10:31 AM
About a K size, I wouldn't go any smaller for an afghan. Crochet makes a dense enough stitch that it may be pretty stiff with an H or I.

KnitandPurl
12-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Crochet is fun! I've been crocheting for quite a while and just picked up knitting.

Crochet does have some advantages; you only have one stitch on the hook at one time so its easier to take your work on and off the hook to try on for sizes and then get back to crocheting.

There are a couple of books with different patterns of crochet blocks you might find useful for when you start with the afghans. I think their patterns call for DK or sportweight yarn which would take an F or G hook.

Becky Morgan
12-15-2009, 10:46 PM
About a K size, I wouldn't go any smaller for an afghan. Crochet makes a dense enough stitch that it may be pretty stiff with an H or I.

Depends on the stitch pattern and, most of all, the crocheter. I can't do granny squares in worsted with anything much bigger than an H. A K and worsted is so loose for me that the only thing it's good for is felting unless the yarn is doubled. OTOH, I've seen people crochet so tightly that they had to use a K to get a granny square that would bend!

suzeeq
12-15-2009, 11:51 PM
True, depends on whether the person is a loose or tight crocheter.

OffJumpsJack
12-16-2009, 10:37 AM
Just substitute Hookers for Crocheters...

New crocheters tend to be tighter and old crocheters tend to be looser.

:roflhard:

Becky Morgan
12-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Just substitute Hookers for Crocheters...

New crocheters tend to be tighter and old crocheters tend to be looser.

:roflhard:

:roflhard: I've been crocheting for something like 43 years...draw your own conclusions!:roflhard:

mathwizard
12-17-2009, 09:06 AM
Now the joke has been going on in my family ever since I joined an online group right around the time I joined this group. It is a group for crocheters called:
HappyHooker A Crocheters Paradise

in my home I was a crocheter but I have used the hooker word a lot. For those interested the group is on Yuku.:roflhard::chair:I have been doing knitting and crocheting since I was 13 and it has been over 45 years for me and I will not date my self as my age is a state secret,lol!!!

meowmeowmeow
12-18-2009, 02:37 AM
LOL.

I remember when I was barely looking up crochet videos on youtube to learn my bf just happened to pass by.

"Did she just say she was a hooker?"

KnitandPurl
12-18-2009, 10:25 AM
I've been a hooker for over 20 years but a bitch for about 2 months.

Somehow it doesn't seem like a step in the right direction. LOL

Aramis3737
12-18-2009, 02:03 PM
Hi again,

Thank you so much everyone, for your wonderful suggestions and hilarious jokes! I appreciate the support especially as I'm off to the craft stores today to buy a hook and now have some ideas about what to look for. Can't wait to make the hooker joke to friends! Glad to be a budding crocheter, and wishing you all a wonderful holiday.