PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal for aluminum needles to bend?

sbusbyyy
12-15-2009, 09:34 AM
My needles have been bending a little while I've been using them and I wasn't sure if its normal or not. :hug:

trvvn5
12-15-2009, 09:42 AM
Mine are all bent. I think it came from me being really tense when I first started knitting. I noticed that right where I hold my needles over time they would start to bend just a little. So I think it came from constant pressure from being so tense. I don't think that I am quite that tense anymore so I think its better now. But it definately happened.

AngelaR
12-15-2009, 10:12 AM
It also has to do with the heat from your hands and aluminum being incredibly maliable... think of crinkling up an aluminum can or wadding up the foil that covers a meal.

As you get better at knitting, less tense and tend to work faster you will notice they don't do it as much. Good luck on your latest project.

gotta knit
12-15-2009, 10:35 AM
I've bent metal needles too, usually the thinner ones.
I warped my bamboo sock needles too, skinny and I knit really tight to avoid ladders.

meowmeowmeow
12-15-2009, 08:09 PM
The only needles I've ever bent were these 2.5mm needles I had when I was still knitting on straight needles. They were ridiculously thin, but they weren't bent from use-someone sat on them >: (

sandy57th
12-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Tension in your hands and the weight of the fabric will bend very thin aluminum needles, but not affect thicker sizes (US 4 and above), as long as they are solid and not hollow (there have been a few of those manufactured over the years). This is especially true of the longer straight needles. The heat of your hands won't affect it-- try passing a needle through a flame: it won't bend in the heat alone. If you have thicker needles and are still bending them, then you must be pressing on them, somewhere, some how.

cftwo
12-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Combine 5 children running around a living room (playing that game where you try not to touch the floor), dpns on the back of a couch - and yes, you can definitely bend your aluminum needles quite a bit! Beyond that, the only needles I've bent are bamboo needles.