PDA

View Full Version : 12 in. circular needles for a hat?

irishcowgirl
12-15-2009, 11:05 AM
My pattern called for 16 inch size 9 needles, but the store was out of 16in, so I got 12in. It's really difficult to work with 12in circulars... so I'd certainly RATHER have 16in, but is it doable to use 12in? If so, I wont bother to go exchange them. I've already bought wrong needles for this project twice lol. :doh: Oh yeah, it's for my brother's head, so I'm casting on... eh... somewhere around 80 sts. I still need to measure his head. (One funny note - when I told him on Facebook that I needed to measure his head, he asked if it was for the guillotine I've been building him.) Silly brothers. :roll:

suzeeq
12-15-2009, 11:43 AM
You can use them, but as many before you have found out, the 12" are a real pain. If you have longer ones in the same size, you can knit with the 2 circ method, or even just Magic loop or single loop (http://south-mountain-naturally.blogspot.com/2009/01/tutorial-single-loop-instead-of-magic.html)with the longer one. You'll need to do that when you dec for the top anyway, even a 12" won't work for less than 20 or 30 sts.

Jan in CA
12-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Yikes. I guess some people do like them, but I think they are harder to use.

I think I'd go with another method- magic loop, modified magic loop, 2 circs, or DPN instead.

(One funny note - when I told him on Facebook that I needed to measure his head, he asked if it was for the guillotine I've been building him.) Silly brothers. :roll:
:roflhard:

meowmeowmeow
12-15-2009, 09:14 PM
I believe it is certainly doable.Now,whether or not you will be screaming out profanity every few stitches in frustration is completely debatable.

I finally bought myself a set of interchangeables off of ebay because I didn't want to have to go through the hassle of deciding what length to buy.Most of them(if not all) come with these little connectors to extend cables to larger sizes.Tip: Shop under "ending soonest" or cheapest shipping (on buy it now).Sometimes the item is cheap but the shipping is high so there's no deal :/

irishcowgirl
12-23-2009, 01:10 AM
Thanks all! I found out that after the cast on and the first row, it became much MUCH easier to work with. Still a pain, but better than driving waaay across town to exchange them. :) Btw, I'm switching to dpns when I start dec. The Magic Loop method is nifty though. I'd never heard of it before! Thankies!

trvvn5
12-23-2009, 11:05 AM
I can't stand anything smaller than a 16". I don't really even like the 16"s all the much. I find that the shorter needles make my fingers and hands hurt after a very short period of time. I can only knit for about 2 hours on them before my hands give up.