PDA

View Full Version : Seeking test knitters for "Basic Mittens" pattern.

amy
12-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Hi folks! :muah: I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday season.

I'm working on a "basic mittens" pattern, which will soon be for sale here on kh, with an accompanying video. It's nearing completion, and I'm looking for a test knitter for every size!

If interested, please post which size you can knit (and have the wearer try on, a single mitten is fine), within a reasonable time frame (say, a week or two?). Quality project photos might make it into the pattern.

Here are the sizes in the pattern!:
12m baby- yardsofyarn
2-4 years -- ratty1973
4-6 years -- Lizziek8
6-8 years -- lissplus2
8 years - Woman's S --sgtpam & hcarroll36
Woman's M/Man's S -- bottomdusters
(Woman's L/Man's S -- sharonp13 )
Woman's L/Man's M - smb611
Man's L - jagadeeshdev
Man's XL - Debbie
Man's XXL - Shandeh

GinnyG our "pinch knitter", thanks Ginny.

Jan in CA
12-19-2009, 06:00 PM
Can you tell us what weight yarn is suggested so we can see if we have it in our stash?

suzeeq
12-19-2009, 07:01 PM
"Jr. XL"/Woman's Small (Q for anyone: does the "Jr. XL" sound right there?"
I think I'd call it " 'Tween/Teen/W Small" or "10 yrs to Sml Adult".

amy
12-19-2009, 08:14 PM
Thanks Sue.

Yes Jan, adult sizes are worsted weight (women's small and up). Kid's sizes are sports weight.

bottomdusters
12-19-2009, 09:18 PM
I could do Women's Medium if no one else takes the spot.

sharonp13
12-19-2009, 09:36 PM
I'd be willing to test knit Woman's L/Man's S. My Ravelry ID is SharonP13 too if you would like to see some of my work.

:knitting:

Shandeh
12-19-2009, 10:29 PM
I am willing to do the Man's XL. My hubby is "bouncer" size, so these will probably fit him. :teehee:

jagadeeshdev
12-19-2009, 10:39 PM
I'd love to do the man's Large! I'm also a pro photographer so I could send photos of the project as it is knitted. Also could have them done in a couple of days, as I am unemployed. I am AmmasBoy on Rav if you want to see a few projects.

eta: the photos on rav are just quick snapshots - no pro stuff - you'd get the good lighting and pro shots!

smb611
12-19-2009, 10:46 PM
I'd love to try the men's medium. This is an easy pattern right, I'm still a bit of a beginner, but am always to try anything once, twice if it's fun!!! That's my philosophy!

Thanks!:cheering:

amy
12-19-2009, 11:24 PM
I'd love to try the men's medium. This is an easy pattern right, I'm still a bit of a beginner, but am always to try anything once, twice if it's fun!!! That's my philosophy!

Thanks!:cheering:

Smb... It would actually be great to have at least one knitter that's new to mittens. You can watch the accompanying video (also still being edited, but I'll post a version for y'all), which is a bit long for someone who already knows mittens, but should be enjoyable for you. It goes through the whole mitten from start to finish! (essential parts, anyway.) I demo in the baby size, but it's the same pattern just with different stitch numbers.

jagadeeshdev, thanks for the photo offer, that's excellent. I've got a companion video, so I don't plan to include much for progress shots, but would love a nice final shot.

jagadeeshdev
12-19-2009, 11:30 PM
Thanks! I've never mit knittens (what my mind said to me) either so you'd have my perspective, too. I'll get you a nice final photo.

Jan in CA
12-19-2009, 11:36 PM
I wish I had a kid to knit for! DH doesn't really wear mittens so I guess I'm out this round. :teehee:

amy
12-19-2009, 11:44 PM
Oh, and so you can get your DPN's:

Gauge for kids/sports weight: 6sts./inch
Gauge for adult size/worsted weight: 4.5 sts./inch

pattern calls for gauge in stockinette, and ribbing done two sizes smaller.

amy
12-20-2009, 12:13 AM
I wish I had a kid to knit for! DH doesn't really wear mittens so I guess I'm out this round. :teehee:

Next time, Jan!

lissaplus2
12-20-2009, 12:28 AM
I can do 6-8 years. Ive actually been looking for some to knit for my son. (6yrs) this would be perfect.

LizzieK8
12-20-2009, 07:35 AM
I'd be happy to do the 4-6 year old ones. Was planning on making my granddaughter mittens anyway! :)

suzeeq
12-20-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm out too, I wouldn't be able to enjoy knitting at the gauge needed. I know, I'm weird.....

jenwith4kids
12-20-2009, 10:54 AM
I can knit mittens too - just let me know which size you need!

AngelaR
12-20-2009, 11:06 AM
I can do the children's size 4-6 and have the yarn for the mittens. What size needles are you recommending?

Jan in CA
12-20-2009, 11:56 AM
I can do the children's size 4-6 and have the yarn for the mittens. What size needles are you recommending?

Look at the first post. It looks like the only size left to test is the 8yrs-woman's small.

amy
12-20-2009, 08:09 PM
We have two sizes left:

8 years -Woman's Small I expect it to be loose on an 8 year old, but fitting for a 10 year old and Woman's S. I'm eager to see how this one fits.

The baby size (6 months-15months or so) I have knit this one, but would be happy to give this to a test knitter as well if someone wants to try it.

sgtpam
12-20-2009, 08:28 PM
I'd like to get my "feet" wet...I haven't done mittens or socks yet...and I think I'm ready to try. I'll do the 8 years -Woman's Small if you still can use a novice for real test of the level of difficulty:teehee:

How soon would you want us to start?

lissaplus2
12-20-2009, 09:25 PM
Amy, I think you got Lizzy and I mixed up...I wanted the 6-8
and lizzy wanted the 4-6 Just a heads up..Im excited to get started on these.

yardsofyarn
12-21-2009, 10:29 AM
I can make the baby size.

amy
12-21-2009, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the offers everyone! I think we've got all the sizes covered. (Just waiting for Rachel B to post here if she can still participate, for the size 2-4 years.)

I'm still editing and crunching video. My goal is to have everything to you all early next week.

I was originally aiming for pre-christmas, but can't manage it. Focusing on family this week.I know y'all understand. :hug: (Erin's first birthday tomorrow! And her first Christmas! Woo! :yay:)

Shandeh
12-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Happy Birthday/Christmas to Erin! :muah:
And I hope you and Sheldon enjoy it too. :teehee:

Looking forward to making the mitten.

yardsofyarn
12-21-2009, 03:30 PM
That works out great for me! I can knit in the car. What els can you do on a 10-hour trip?

GinnyG
12-21-2009, 04:05 PM
I would willing to "pinch knit" for any size if someone needs to drop out.

jbarr5
12-21-2009, 06:31 PM
hi i'm available. i have done work for plymouth yarn and for knitpicks and other organizations.
thanks

hcarroll36
12-21-2009, 07:15 PM
I would love to be a test knitter. How does one go about doing so? I could knit for a toddler (18 mos), an 8 year old, or an adult male and/or female. Let me know if I can help.

Thanks,
H Carroll

AngelaR
12-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Fantastic! I hope this turns out well, and I can't wait to see the pictures of the results.

melmac51
12-22-2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the offers everyone! I think we've got all the sizes covered. (Just waiting for Rachel B to post here if she can still participate, for the size 2-4 years.)

I'm still editing and crunching video. My goal is to have everything to you all early next week.

I was originally aiming for pre-christmas, but can't manage it. Focusing on family this week.I know y'all understand. :hug: (Erin's first birthday tomorrow! And her first Christmas! Woo! :yay:)

My daughter's birthday is on the 22nd too! She's 27 years old. Seems like only yesterday, so enjoy every minute, even the not-so-good ones! Merry (First!!) Christmas and Happy Birthday to Erin! :muah:

smb611
12-23-2009, 08:10 PM
My daughter's birthday is on the 22nd too! She's 27 years old. Seems like only yesterday, so enjoy every minute, even the not-so-good ones! Merry (First!!) Christmas and Happy Birthday to Erin! :muah:

Hey-my daughter (20 years old) was born on the 31st! We always like to say that we ushered in the 90's with her!! Anyway, I am looking forward to helping out and hoping you have a good holiday and Happy 1st to your little one too!

ratty1973
12-29-2009, 01:06 PM
Hi,

Got the E-mail this morning.

I can still do the 2-4 size.

Rachel B

sgtpam
01-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Oh, and so you can get your DPN's:

Gauge for kids/sports weight: 6sts./inch
Gauge for adult size/worsted weight: 4.5 sts./inch

pattern calls for gauge in stockinette, and ribbing done two sizes smaller.

Since my size is "both" kid and adult size, should I be aiming for 6 or 4.5 sts/inch? :think: I've done my gauge in Caron SS and am at 5.0 on size 7s and 5.5 on size 8s? I've never really had to do a gauge for size before...and I need to know which I should try for larger or smaller? :?? Or is this yarn ok for your pattern? I have other yarn :teehee: even have some sports weight if I need to change to that

southseagirl
01-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Hi Amy, I do a lot of knitting for babies and children so happy to do some for you. I live in UK so not sure if I qualify for this so best let me know. I also crochet so if you have anything for babies in crochet for test knitters I can do that to.
Best wishes and waiting to hear
southseagirl

Shandeh
01-02-2010, 10:45 PM
Hi Amy!
I didn't get an email yet. Did I miss it?

sheldon
01-02-2010, 11:28 PM
Hi Amy!
I didn't get an email yet. Did I miss it?

I think Amy is still putting the finishing touches on the pattern and the video. It should be ready for test knitting really soon! :happydance:

amy
01-05-2010, 02:40 AM
Thank you everyone for the offers! I really appreciate them. I have updated the first post with names of people, first come first serve in this case, who have agreed to knit a size. I'm "private messaging" folks tonight with the next step. (Look in the upper right for the underlined Private Messages link.)

Since my size is "both" kid and adult size, should I be aiming for 6 or 4.5 sts/inch? :think: I've done my gauge in Caron SS and am at 5.0 on size 7s and 5.5 on size 8s? I've never really had to do a gauge for size before...and I need to know which I should try for larger or smaller? :?? Or is this yarn ok for your pattern? I have other yarn :teehee: even have some sports weight if I need to change to that

Sgtpam, you want 4.5 sts/inch for your size. one needle size = 1/2 st./inch change, is a good rule of thumb. And remember this swatch needs to be done in the ROUND. With mittens I'd say just use the mitten as your swatch and frog if need be. Take your best guess with the needle. And don't worry about gauge in ribbing, only in the stockinette. I'm putting H Carroll on this size too, so you can have fun and not be too pressured with your first mitten. (And I'll get to see how this size fits multiple hands.)

SouthSeaGirl, Jenwith4kids, and Jbarr5 thank you for offers. I actually do have one more size, but it's a long shot, and if it doesn't get knit so be it.... Know anyone who could use a Man's XXL? Finished hand circumference is 10.5" (Shandeh, is this your DH's size? the XL I have paired you with is 9.5")

Thanks folks. And thanks for your patience as I get the pattern together. I changed the top shaping and am still wrestling all 10 sizes into shape.

Shandeh
01-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Hi Amy! My hubby is a big guy - wears size 3X in shirts and 2X in pants. So, I bet the larger XXL gloves would work well for him. :thumbsup:

Debbie
01-05-2010, 12:15 PM
If Shandeh is knitting the XXL, My Hubby would wear the XL if you need someone to knit the XL size.

MoniDew
01-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Hi all! Just lurking and watching this thread. Cheering you all on from the sidelines. Would love to knit me'self a new pair of mittens and can't wait for the newly test-driven pattern to appear! Have fun, all!

amy
01-07-2010, 04:05 AM
Debbie and Sandy, that's perfect, thanks!

Hooray, my pattern draft is done! :woot:
I've been up to 3am working on this pattern, for three nights in a row! Phew!

I had a lot more to do than I realized, including changing the style of the top entirely from complex and not much nicer, to truly basic and classic in shape. Hopefully it will all knit up well.

Jan & Sandy, I just emailed it to you to scan over before I have anyone take out their needles.

Oh...and did I say I'd PM folks? I have not sent anyone PM's yet if you're looking for them. When I do, the forum will email you.

Gotta go to sleep now, gah!

Monidew, thank you for the cheering! :hug:

etoilechaude
01-07-2010, 04:16 AM
Also cheering y'all on!!!!
If I hadn't recently taken on so many projects (mostly commisioned by friends) I would have loved to have done some!

luvmykid28
01-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Hi all! Just lurking and watching this thread. Cheering you all on from the sidelines. Would love to knit me'self a new pair of mittens and can't wait for the newly test-driven pattern to appear! Have fun, all!

Me, too. I'm lurking and waiting...:happydance:

Woodi
01-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Just saw this, so didn't join, but will also be lurking to see finished mittens.

Shandeh
01-07-2010, 05:10 PM
I've been up to 3am working on this pattern, for three nights in a row! Phew!
You are DEDICATED, my friend! :heart: :muah: :heart:

Debbie
01-07-2010, 05:47 PM
What Sandy said !!!!!

Shandeh
01-08-2010, 02:39 AM
Jan & Sandy, I just emailed it to you to scan over before I have anyone take out their needles.
Hi Amy! I got your email, but my computer did not recognize the document, so I couldn't see it. :pout:

cheley
01-08-2010, 08:26 AM
Me, too. I'm lurking and waiting...:happydance: Yep, me tooo..

amy
01-10-2010, 12:17 AM
Sandy, I'm glad you got it the second time. Thanks for the feedback!

Alright Pattern Testers! I've sent you all a PDF. Check your private message inbox.

Thanks for all the support and cheering, everyone. :muah:I'm looking forward to sharing photos when the pattern is ready! Probably February. If not by then I might wait to release it in the Fall.

Cheers!
Amy