PDA

View Full Version : OT: HELP! - opinions regarding a Christmas gift

gotta knit
12-20-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm buying for a friend I don't see very often. We spoke the other day about how hard it is to buy for each other. I told her to keep going with the festive or hostess gifts she's given me over the years, I treasure them. When asked what I should get her, she didn't say anything specific, but did mention several crafts she's trying to keep up or start in her limited free time.

I can't buy items related to her crafts (it would be like a non-knitter trying to buy for us, where would they start??) and don't want to just give her a gift certificate to a craft store. So I went shopping with the idea that I could get something festive/hostess-y for her along with the craft store gift certificate. Ended up with a Christmas teapot that I really think she'll like.

Now I'm undecided. Should I go with the teapot and craft store $$, or forget the craft gift certificate totally and buy 2 matching mugs?
Help please!

Jan in CA
12-20-2009, 04:16 PM
I think she'll appreciate the teapot and GC! :thumbsup:

gotta knit
12-21-2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks Jan. A comment from someone who doesn't like giving/getting GCs made me start second-guessing myself, but I know I'd appreciate it so someone else crafty probably would too.

Jan in CA
12-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Giving GC's alone often looks as though a person didn't put any thought into it, but you got her a craft store one AND the teapot you know she'd like. :thumbsup:

cftwo
12-21-2009, 01:55 PM
You're getting her a GC to a place where she can buy stuff for her hobbies. That shows that you were paying attention, not that you couldn't think of anything.

Now if you got her a GC to a hardware store, that would be a different story.

saracidaltendencies
12-21-2009, 02:13 PM
I agree with the others...Since the GC is for a place she would WANT to spend money, I think it's a great gift....Last year I asked for GC's for Michaels and my LYS and ended up with over $100 in GC's and boy was I a HAPPY camper...er...knitter!! lol...had they been GC's to places I don't go to unless I have to, well, that would have been a disappointment...It's too hard for people to try to buy craft things for others unless told specifically what to get so I think a GC for a place she likes is definitely a nice gift...

gotta knit
12-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks for your opinions. I'm going with the teapot AND the gift certificate.

I'll let you know how it goes later next week, after we get together.

gotta knit
01-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Saw my friend the other day. She loved the teapot and was thrilled with the GC!
Thanks for convincing me to stay with my original idea.