PDA

View Full Version : Question I could use some help

Mommyof2andangel
12-22-2009, 01:05 AM
I made my daughter a scarf and it's got 2 colors in yarn that's 100% acrylic and 1 color that's cotton. She picked out the colors and wouldn't be swayed. My question is. If I block this like I do my acrylic projects (Throw it in the washer and dryer) will the cotton be ok? It says to wash and dry it but I've never used cotton yarns and I don't want to mess up her scarf

globaltraveler
12-22-2009, 05:55 AM
Do a swatch. :)

michelebouchier
12-22-2009, 07:02 AM
Hey Melissa: Just to be on the safe side, since the cotton is the yarn that may be affected by the washing and drying, depending on water and dryer temperature, what about tossing it into the gentle or handwash cycle in the wash and air dry / fluff or lowest heat in the dryer. You might also consider putting it in the dryer for a shorter length of time on lower heat and laying it flat /blocking it to finish drying.
It sounds like a lovely scarf - very soft to wear.
Michele

zkimom
12-22-2009, 08:05 AM
What kind of cotton is it? There is some machine washable cotton out there. The care instructions should be on your yarn. If the washing requirements of the two yarns are similar, you should be find. However, if they aren't, I'd default to the instructions for the cotton yarn. If that shrunk you'd lose the shape of the scarf.

AngelaR
12-22-2009, 08:57 AM
I have blocked cotton before on a cole gentle cycle in my washer with something like Woolite to wash when it gets dirty.

You can expect some small shrinkage with the first washing and drying.

I'd definitely do a swatch first to see how much so you can compensate in your pattern, like maybe using larger needles... I don't know, really.

Maybe some of the great folks here have a suggestion.

trvvn5
12-22-2009, 11:30 AM
I'd be really careful with this and make sure you do the swatch before trying. Cuz the acrylic isn't gonna shrink at all and the cotton could shrink significantly. If everything shrunk in the same fabric it might not be that bad, but having one shrink and the other not is going to make it look really bad.

Mommyof2andangel
12-22-2009, 12:33 PM
What kind of cotton is it? There is some machine washable cotton out there. The care instructions should be on your yarn. If the washing requirements of the two yarns are similar, you should be find. However, if they aren't, I'd default to the instructions for the cotton yarn. If that shrunk you'd lose the shape of the scarf.

It's lion's brand cotton-ease. It's 50% cotton and 50% acrylic very soft.

Mommyof2andangel
12-22-2009, 12:37 PM
I looked up an old post here on knittinghelp from other people who used cotton-ease and because it's 50% acrylic it doesn't seem to shrink, which was nice to read!

globaltraveler
12-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Aargh. Really. Swatch. You won't know what it will do for you and with the other yarn until you do a swatch. :)

suzeeq
12-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Oh, then you're fine. Cottonease acts more like acrylic than cotton.