PDA

View Full Version : Granny Square Beginner Q

Aramis3737
12-24-2009, 03:31 AM
Hi again everyone,

With much knitting community encouragement, I'm trying to make my first crochet granny square. Just learned how to crochet, so am refining technique and how to hold the hook etc.

My question is: why doesn't my first round have 4 visible holes like in pictures/videos? I seem to have a lovely little pinwheel, but it doesn't look much like any images I'm seeing of first rounds for granny squares.

Any ideas would be so helpful; thanks and happy holidays!

Best wishes,

Aramis

LizzieK8
12-24-2009, 07:52 AM
It will once you do the next round and add the corner sts. Those sts stretch out the pinwheel into a square.

catlvr
12-24-2009, 11:37 AM
Try looking at crochetcabana.com She has a tutorial on there of a granny square with step by step instructions (pictures too) to walk you through how to make one. It's under the topic of "shapes" Just click on that and it will go to the place you need to be. Good Luck.

MGM
12-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Multi-color granny square tutorial (http://www.hookedonneedles.com/2009/02/learn-to-crochet-traditional-granny.html)

traditional single-color granny square tutorial (http://www.hookedonneedles.com/2009/02/learn-to-crochet-one-color-traditional.html)

solid granny square tutorial (http://www.hookedonneedles.com/2009/03/learn-to-crochet-solid-granny-square.html)

changing colors on a solid granny square (http://www.hookedonneedles.com/2009/03/learn-to-crochet-changing-colors-on.html)

There are a few links for video tutorials that I offer at Hooked On Needles. I hope you find them helpful.

MGM

melmac51
12-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Here are some instructions that I wrote out for a friend of mine who was trying to learn how to make a granny square:

Granny Square Pattern

Materials: yarn, hook (doesn’t matter what size…the bigger the hook, the bigger the square / the smaller the hook, the smaller the square.)

Ch 5, join w/ slip st in very first chain.

Round 1
1. Ch 3, 2 dc in hole (the hole that you just finished making by joining w/ the very first ch)
2. Ch 2, 3 dc in the same hole.
3. Ch 2, 3 dc in the same hole.
4. Ch 2, 3 dc in the same hole.
5. Ch 2, slip st in top of the ch 3 that you started with.
(This looks like a little 4-leaf clover w/ the “leaves” connected by ch sts.)

Round 2
Slip st to the first corner (3 sl st)
1. Ch 3, 2dc, ch 2, 3dc (first corner). Ch 1
2. 3 dc, ch 2, 3dc in the next hole (second corner). Ch 1
3. 3 dc, ch 2, 3dc in the next hole (third corner). Ch 1
4. 3 dc, ch 2, 3dc in the next hole (fourth corner). Ch 1
5. Slip st in top of the ch 3 that you started with.

Round 3
Slip st to the first corner (3 sl st)
1. Ch 3, 2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc (first corner). Ch 1
2. 3 dc in “non-corner” hole. Ch 1
3. 3 dc, 2 ch, 3 dc (second corner) Ch 1
4. 3 dc in “non-corner” hole. Ch 1
5. 3 dc, 2 ch, 3 dc (third corner) Ch 1
6. 3 dc in “non-corner” hole. Ch 1
7. 3 dc, 2 ch 3 dc (fourth corner) Ch 1
8. 3 dc in “non-corner” hole. Ch 1
9. Slip st in top of the ch 3 that you started with. Finish off.

NOTES:

1. If you continue with more rounds, your square will (of course) get larger, and there will be more “non-corner” holes on each side of your square. Every row will have more and more. (You don’t have to make it do that; it just happens.)

2. If you change colors for each row, you will not need the “slip stitch to the next corner” step. You’d just attach your yarn in any corner and ch 3 and take it from there.

3. Sew or slip st all the squares together, and put one round of sc or hdc around the entire afghan.

4. Chain Rules: When you’re starting a new row – chain 3. When you’re moving from ONE hole to the next ONE hole, chain ONE. When you’re putting TWO groups of 3 dcs in each corner, chain TWO between the TWO groups. (this is the hardest part of making grannies – remembering how many to chain where)

Hope this helps!

Aramis3737
12-30-2009, 10:46 PM
It's true! It turns into a square on the next round. I feel like an alchemist!

Thank you all for the wonderful links and the pattern. I am having a ball crocheting and am now even more inspired with your help. Happy crocheting 2010 everyone!