PDA

View Full Version : Is this true?

XxavoOo
12-26-2009, 12:32 AM
First off, merry christmas everybody!

Ok, so I went to the yarn shop here at my city and asked for double pointed needles. Every time I go in there I do the same thing: ask for DPNs, look at the yarn, buy something. And every time they tell me they don't have any DPNs (they do have circs, however). So, I decided to ask the shop owner herself to bring DPNs, since they are easier to use than circular needles (I find this to be true for me). What she responded was: "We don't bring them because no one uses them; everyone prefers circular needles".

Is this true? For me, DPNs are better. I find it to be harder to transfer stitches on a circular needle than on a double pointed one. Is DPN usage really disappearing?

trvvn5
12-26-2009, 12:37 AM
I use circular for everything. I can't even remember the last time I used DPNs

etoilechaude
12-26-2009, 12:47 AM
I think it really depends on your personal preference. I honestly just despise all small circular knitting... I've tried everything except the square dpns and nothing 'feels' good to me. That being said... time to go cast on a second gloves for my partner... *sigh*

(BTW all of the yarn shops in my area carry both circs and dpns... and there are a LOT of shops here, so I'm assuming people must still be using them ;o)

rwd1105
12-26-2009, 12:51 AM
I like DPN's much better then circular. :cheering:

bambi
12-26-2009, 01:01 AM
I prefer DPNs for smaller things like socks! Like my circs, too but for larger project like sweater bodies.

meowmeowmeow
12-26-2009, 01:03 AM
D: No DPNs? How does the world make sense to them???

I got myself a set online at eknittingneedles.com

I have a set of circular needles(boye needlemaster) but I only use those as straight needles(for large projects done flat and such) and as needle holders.

I also got myself that little nickel sock DPN set yesterday off of the knitpicks website(links aaaall over this site).That was my gift of preference from a gift card...along with about 13 balls of yarn >_> I don't even remember how many.I kind of went on a spree. *checks self into rehab*

trvvn5
12-26-2009, 03:28 AM
I always get pissed off at DPNs because there is always that extra needle in the way. So I'm knitting, and I'm knitting, and then a stitch falls off one of the needles and I'm pissed.

etoilechaude
12-26-2009, 04:54 AM
I always get pissed off at DPNs because there is always that extra needle in the way. So I'm knitting, and I'm knitting, and then a stitch falls off one of the needles and I'm pissed.
LOL totally understand!!!!!!!!

AngelaR
12-26-2009, 08:57 AM
I prefer DPNs for smaller things like socks! Like my circs, too but for larger project like sweater bodies.

I am in this boat. I just started using DPNs a few months ago when I decided to tackle socks and stockings. I love them. However, I love my circular needles just as much when I am doing larger pieces like sweaters, etc.

I have to order most of my DPNs online, though. The local shops tend to carry the most popular sizes and anything smaller than a 5 or larger than an 8 is never in stock.

globaltraveler
12-26-2009, 09:01 AM
I have a full set of wood DPNs but hardly ever use them, usually preferring circular needles...because two tips and a cable are easier to keep track of than five pins, they're much harder to lose one of, because I probably won't sit on one and break them, etc.

However, I'm glad to have them. For instance, I can make do for i-cord with things like a pair of tips if I have to, but much easier with DPNs.

I suppose I can understand a small LYS owner not wanting to bring in more stock, though -- it gets very expensive, trying to have all the sizes in all the materials in all the companies, etc.

I do have to say, though: they're tools, not a religion. Sometimes I wonder if people have forgotten! ;)

GinnyG
12-26-2009, 09:15 AM
I use my DPNS for many things and can't imagine not having them.

However, I can understand why a small shop might not want to stock them.

There are many sources on the internet for DPNS. I have purchased two complete sets on ebay; 5 inch and 7 inch (wood) for some ridiculously low price (I think they were $7.00 a set). Knit picks also sells them

So rather than trying to pressure your LYS to carry something they don't want to just pick up a set on the internet.

Belphoebe
12-26-2009, 11:29 AM
I LOVE DPN's and only use circs when I have to. Since I've moved to the boonies, I now have to order everything online as the nearest lys is over two hours away.

imrachel
12-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Craziest thing I've ever heard. In the past couple of years, Knitpicks came out with their Options lines and carry a full line of DPNs in both the Harmony and Nickel-plated lines. Also, Kollage has a new full line of metal square needles in DPNs, both 5" and 7" and some in 6", and they just added on some new in-between sizes in that line. That would be an interesting thing for a company to do if their popularity was diminishing. It may be that they are not being used as much in Ecquador, but a way to check that out would be to contact other shops in the country and see what they say.

If she is the only one, I would point that out to her and ask if she'd carry them. Just keep something in mind: The majority of LYS owners get into because they love knitting, not because they know a thing about running a business or customer service. There's no "you can't be crazy" rule about running an LYS and if she's got some weird idea about DPNs, then, well, she's got some weird idea about DPNs. I have been in dozens of yarn shops in the US, Canada, France and the UK, and never, ever seen one without DPNs. (Which I love using by the way!:) )

Mirl56
12-26-2009, 01:24 PM
It is so a case of personal preferance. Personally, I haven't used straight or dble pted needles in years. I also own many straight and dbl pts, and though I don't use them I just can't get rid of them either. You never know when they will come in handy.

Even if the shop doesn't want to carry them, they should be willing to special order them for you.

There are unlimited on-line shops you can order them from.

Jan in CA
12-26-2009, 01:32 PM
I do prefer circular needles for most things, but for very tiny things like the few stitches at the top of a hat or starting a project with like 9 stitches DPN are better at first.

Lyndalm
12-26-2009, 04:18 PM
Actually, I use both interchangably. I love working socks on 2 circs, but also love using dpns. I have no trouble with them. Sometimes I think I knit faster on dpns, cuz the change from one circ to the other circ is a little fiddley.

Debbie
12-26-2009, 07:21 PM
It would be a pain to make a 3 or 4 stitch I cord with circular needles!

UruzPhoenix
12-26-2009, 07:31 PM
i use my dpn's more frequently than my circs..... i HATE making socks on 2 circs, actually i hate magic loop too or doing much of any knitting on circs.....

Ingrid
12-26-2009, 07:46 PM
I like using 2 circs on sleeves, mainly because I can flip the sleeve back and forth rather than try to spin the whole sweater.

On smaller things, though, I usually reach for the dpns.

newamy
12-26-2009, 08:05 PM
I prefer DPN's over 2 circs or magic loop. I use circs for large projects but DPNs for socks, mittens, etc.

Go on line and order some DPNs!

suzeeq
12-26-2009, 11:34 PM
Keep in mind, the OP is from another country, not the US. So it may well be that where she is, dpns are not commonly used.

XxavoOo
12-26-2009, 11:47 PM
So the conclusion I have made is the following:

Order online.

However, I have been wanting to avoid this because of the whole shipping problems. Who knows how long it will take for the needles to arrive here (btw it's Ecuador, not Eqcuador XD).

Could anyone provide a link for a good (and reliable) DPN set order? (I really don't mind the price; I just got my Christmas money and am ready to spend it :D)

lmi6383
12-27-2009, 03:03 AM
Hi everyone, I just started knitting a few weeks ago. So far, I've knit a scarf and I'm working on a baby hat with circular needles. I've had to start it over a few times now, I definitely need some help! I'm enjoying it though :)

-Lauren

suzeeq
12-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Hi Lauren. If you want to post questions, start a new thread so people can find it easier. Welcome!

kellee0302
12-27-2009, 03:48 PM
I use DPN's and prefer them for mittens and socks. I do have a couple of small circulars for hats. It depends on the pattern, and with magic loop out there you wouldn't need DPN's, but I haven't learned the magic loop method so I stick with my DPN's. I do think it's a personal preference.

MerigoldinWA
12-27-2009, 03:50 PM
I just thought I'd add my two cents. I use dpns quite a lot. I know how to do Magic Loop but find it fiddly. I would still do ML though for some things, especially if the pattern was written for them and I didn't want to have to think (about any needed changes). :lol:

I think any good yarn shop should carry them and give people a variety and options. What are they thinking? Knitters are not all the same. I don't think dpns are going to be phased out.

I love circulars too. I NEED EVERYTHING!! :lol:

RuthieinMaryland
12-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Hi! :waving:

I'm sure we could all go "round and round" (pun intended!:roflhard: ) on this subject for some time, but I wanted to put in my two cents worth...

When I decided to learn sock knitting I wanted to learn how to knit them with every method available. I started with DPN's. In the beginning working with them reminded me of playing "pick up sticks" when I was a kid!!! I was just bristling with pointed sticks!!! What fun! But once I mastered them I loved them and actually created some real, wearable socks on them.

Next up was one at a time on one circular needle. OK, that went well and I got more socks done. Then I moved along to two at a time on two circs and finally to two at a time on one long circ. (Melissa Morgan-Oaks has a book out on that method) And that's the one I've been using mostly, for socks, sweater sleeves, leg warmers, etc. - anything you need two of that match. It's lovely not to have to go back and knit that dreaded second piece and to know that both pieces will come out the same size! And the one long circ is much more (to me) streamlined than working with two circs.

BUT, there is another way that I've been playing around with and that's knitting two at a time on one needle (or one set of DPN's) with one being worked inside the other. It's very EXTREME knitting, for sure.

Using one long circ I actually knit two sets of leg warmers, one inside the other, so I could get familiar with the method and not have to start out with sock shaping until I was ready to "graduate"! I made two sets because I wanted to work with two different colored yarns since you're knitting every other stitch with one yarn and every other stitch with the other. Working with two different colors gave me a chance to get used to it without worrying about the same color and which was which.

Here's the article describing the process and it's SO WORTHWHILE trying it out. What a blast! http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/FEATextreme2in1.html

But for socks using this method I've determined that I want to work with DPN's and then maybe do a pair on my one long circ. But although I'm crazy about the circs I also really loved the DPN's I first worked with.

At long last I think what I'm trying to say is that if you expand your collection of tools you might be more willing to try out new techniques and by expanding those new techniques you open yourself up to lots of wonderful new experiences and can create lots of wonderful new things. So don't worry about DPN's (or anything else) dying out. If you have some in your tool kit you might just find some wonderful new technique that you can share with the rest of us!

So, happy knitting dearie and let us know what you're working on!

Ruthie :hug:

Sewing Angel
12-27-2009, 04:14 PM
I think that's a very biased view. I use both. Circulars for hats and larger things (I still switch to DPN'S when things get too small) I am learning magic loop for socks and like it well enough, but am more proficient with DPN.

XxavoOo
12-27-2009, 11:00 PM
Could anyone please provide a reliable link for an online order of a DPN set (those sets that have a bunch of different DPN sizes on groups of 5)?

The reason why I began this thread was because, while knitting a hat, a friend of mine lost one of the DPNs. In other words, I'm stuck in the middle of the hat. I'll go ahead and buy two circs and continue knitting it with the two-circular-needle method, but I still want to order needles. Hopefully they'll arrive soon :)

suzeeq
12-27-2009, 11:14 PM
You can use the remaining dpns and just one circ.

meowmeowmeow
12-27-2009, 11:22 PM
I think I posted a link to the site I got mine from earlier in this thread(eknittingneedles (eknittingneedles.com)).
I got the 7 inch set but I don't think they offer it anymore.They used to have a wide variety of sets; now they just have the 6 inch set.
It's a 75 piece set in sets of five(US 0-10,10.5,11,13,15).

I think someone else pointed out a similar bamboo set in the other DPN vs circulars thread from a few months ago.

XxavoOo
12-28-2009, 12:05 AM
Thaaanks!!! I will now bookmark the page, create an account on eknittingneedles.com and drive my parents crazy until they allow me to order the set. (BTW, <3 Amanda Palmer)

sandy57th
12-28-2009, 11:15 AM
I'd be careful with these-- 2 women at my LYS ordered the big sets of DPNs and circs from that site and both had huge problems with them. The circs all pulled from their terrible plastic tubing and a lot of the DPNs broke. There was also a problem as I recall with sawdust forming at the bottom of the plastic bags they kept their needles in. In other words, little microscopic buggy issues. But I think you can put them in the freezer to kill them off.

I would just keep in mind that these are incredibly cheap, because, well, they are incredibly cheap. You might still want to get them just to make sure you like using bamboo DPNs, and then start filling in your collection with better quality ones.

KnitandPurl
12-28-2009, 01:41 PM
I just learned how to use both DPNs and circular needles for my first sweater. The DPNs were a bit nerve-wracking when I was knitting increases from the neck to the chest but now that I'm doing decreases on the sleeves, they actually hold the stitches well. I'm knitting both sleeves at the same time and I'm not really careful with the needles I'm not working on presently but the stitches stay put.

The one thing I like about DPNs is that I can get my sweater on and off the needles faster when I want to try it on for fit. Its a bit rough getting a lot of stitches off the cable onto the needle and then off the needle in a short amount of time (and vice versa). It made me dread trying on the sweater. With DPNs, I just stick a threaded tapestry needle at the end of a needle and shove the stitches on it in a few seconds. After four needles, I'm done.

Sarah6485
12-28-2009, 09:14 PM
I've only used DPNs once so far for a scarf I'm knitting in the round, but I'll likely be using them for socks and hats too. The only set I have is a size 8 set from Michael's, they were like $8 for the Clover brand. I haven't had any issues with them thus far, they don't bend and they don't pick up the color from the yarn (at least they haven't yet that I've noticed).

meowmeowmeow
12-28-2009, 10:21 PM
I'd be careful with these-- 2 women at my LYS ordered the big sets of DPNs and circs from that site and both had huge problems with them. The circs all pulled from their terrible plastic tubing and a lot of the DPNs broke. There was also a problem as I recall with sawdust forming at the bottom of the plastic bags they kept their needles in. In other words, little microscopic buggy issues. But I think you can put them in the freezer to kill them off.

I would just keep in mind that these are incredibly cheap, because, well, they are incredibly cheap. You might still want to get them just to make sure you like using bamboo DPNs, and then start filling in your collection with better quality ones.

I didn't have any problem with mine or any saw dust or anything at all like that.I was actually planning to get them as a beginner set and was so surprised with the quality of them that I never got another set.Are you sure that's the same place? The only problem I had turned out to be a bonus.They left out the smallest set of DPNs, I emailed them about it, and they sent me an entire new package the next day.They told me to keep both sets.I really don't think that the price of the needles reflects their value at all.I've seen very bad reviews for supposedly "high end" needles and after looking at a ton of positive reviews from different sites for these, I went with them.You don't always "get what you pay for".I wouldn't assume the most expensive priced items are always the highest quality.

suzeeq
12-29-2009, 12:22 AM
There are a lot of companies selling inexpensive bamboo needles, both dpns and circs. So it may well be that you did get your set from one of the good ones.

sandy57th
12-29-2009, 01:00 AM
Yes, it was eknittingneedles.com, and I'm glad you've never had a problem. Other people may not have a problem with them, either, but both of the women I know did.

As for these, specifically, the math is that you get 15 sets of 5 DPNs for $25. That's $1.67 per set. There is the cost of the wood, the cost of the machine and the cost of the labor. Then there's the cost of shipping from China (if you look at the large view of the circulars, you can make out that is says "made in China" at the bottom of the package), plus tarrifs. They say that they are currently offering free shipping on orders over $15. Then they have their own administrative costs, electricity for their office and their phones, website maintenance, etc. AND they're still making a profit. Those are some very, very cheap needles. Somebody's cutting corners, somewhere, and there's some nagging corner of my conscience that wonders how much those people in China are getting paid to make these.

imrachel
12-29-2009, 12:11 PM
I ordered a set of the circulars from this company to see if I liked working with bamboo. They were awful. The plastic connecting cords pulled off of the needle tips with the slightest tugs (I have never had that happen with any other circular needles in all of my decades of knitting). Some of the tips were very rough and had splintering. If Sandy's comments above about the cost and profits margins are correct, then this is not surpising. Now, I am glad I ordered them because what I discovered is that I'm am definitely not a wood knitting needle person and if I had gotten a more expensive set, I'd be out more money for my little experiment. But XxavoOo, it seems you do have a problem in getting DPN needles shipped to you in South America and an obviously uncooperative LYS owner. Can you find another shop or company that will ship to you?

RuthieinMaryland
12-29-2009, 04:12 PM
[QUOTE=XxavoOo;1267982]Could anyone please provide a reliable link for an online order of a DPN set (those sets that have a bunch of different DPN sizes on groups of 5)?
:waving:
Hi!

Go to Knit Picks. They're having a great sale up to January 4th and they have an awesome selection of DPN's. I have both their harmony set and Nikel Plated and they're all awesome! They even have 8" DPN's for those patterns calling for more stitches or bulkier yarn!
http://www.knitpicks.com/Needles/Harmony_Sale__L300339.html?medid=KH09WIFR4&media=knithelp

And have a wonderful knitting new year! :hug:

Ruthie

sandy57th
12-29-2009, 04:54 PM
If they don't ship to South America, I wonder if Knitpro would, the European branch of Knitpicks.