PDA

View Full Version : What can I make with this yarn????

knitcindy
12-30-2009, 09:58 PM
I got some wool yarn from a local spinner and I originally liked it because it feels soft in a skein and is an oatmeal type of color.

However, when I start knitting with it, it starts to get stiff and feels almost waxy. I had planned to make some scarves with it, but no one would like feeling something stiff/waxy next to their neck!!

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could knit with this yarn? I have 3 skeins of it. I always thought wool was soft and fluffy (like the sheep it comes from). I guess there's all different types.

TIA, knitcindy

MesaVerde
12-30-2009, 10:03 PM
Cushions! Theres a really cool pattern for floor cushions in Last Minute Knitted Gifts. (I only have two knitting books, ok! And one is all sweaters so that one's kind of a motivator). But anyway, floor cushions would be a good way to use the yarn!

Jan in CA
12-30-2009, 10:20 PM
I think hand spun wool can have lanolin (?) or something in it. It may feel different when it's been washed. We have a spinning and dying forum that might be of help, too.

suzeeq
12-31-2009, 12:09 AM
You might check to see if the needles you're using are too small for it. That would make it stiff.

AngelaR
12-31-2009, 09:12 AM
You may also try making a swatch and blocking it to see if the lanolin washes out.

knitcindy
12-31-2009, 11:51 AM
So, how do I block wool?? Is there a special soap for it? Do I put in both the washer AND dryer or just the washer??

Thanks again!
knitcindy

knitcindy
12-31-2009, 11:58 AM
You might check to see if the needles you're using are too small for it. That would make it stiff.

This yarn is close to worsted weight, so I used size 8 needles (US sizes) to try to make an Irish Hiking Scarf. That's when it came out stiff and scratchy. What size do you think I should try instead??

knitcindy

Jan in CA
12-31-2009, 12:03 PM
So, how do I block wool?? Is there a special soap for it? Do I put in both the washer AND dryer or just the washer??

Nooo! If it's 100% wool and not super wash it will will felt in the washer and dryer.
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter02/FEATfelting.html
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/FEATfelthis.html

It will need to be gently hand washed preferably in a wool wash like Soak or Eucalan, but even baby shampoo will work. Gently wash in cool water and lay flat to dry. It may have to be done a few times to remove whatever is on there.