PDA

View Full Version : Small DPN question

Sunshine's Mom
01-07-2010, 11:06 AM
This is just something I've been thinking about lately and was wondering what you all have to say:

I've been knitting socks for a few years now and I am always using US size 2(2.75mm) or 2(3.00mm) or 3(3.25mm). If a pattern calls for size US1 needles I'm flummoxed! Do those of you who can make a sock with such small needles knit really loosely or what? There is NO way that I can make a sock that has 64 or 72 stitches with size 1 needles. Impossible. I don't think I knit too loose or too tight (at least I don't have a problem manipulating my stitches).

Thoughts?

AngelaR
01-07-2010, 11:13 AM
I knit socks on size 2 (US) needles and can't really imagine going much smaller. I may change my mind when I finally admit I need bifocals, but right now, 2 is about as small as I can work and still see what I'm doing.

sandy57th
01-07-2010, 11:27 AM
I knit socks on US0/2mm all the time, and even on occasion have used 1.5 or 1.75mm (I think it's Susan Bates who makes the package of 20 sock needles for $10-- 5 each of 1.5, 1.75, 2 and 2.25-- whichever it is, I use it almost exclusively for socks). I don't know-- it just works for me, and obviously other people, because they still make that package! There are sock patterns that call for 8 or 9 sts per inch, and there are some older patterns that even have 10 or 11 sts per inch, and that's the only way I can do it. I mostly knit patterns that are 8 or 9 sts per inch. I do tend to be a loose knitter, so that accounts for some of the answer, too. Also, with plain pattern socks, that is, in the round and most stockinette stitch, I don't have to look at my work too much.

Jan in CA
01-07-2010, 01:26 PM
I usually use a US1. It does make the stitches tighter and I think sturdier, but it's not unreasonably tight. You can always cast on an extra several stitches if you think it won't fit your foot.

cheley
01-07-2010, 01:44 PM
I usually use a US1. It does make the stitches tighter and I think sturdier, but it's not unreasonably tight. You can always cast on an extra several stitches if you think it won't fit your foot.:doh: You guys use small needles for ADULT Socks???? I can't even imagine that....Is it because you use only "sock weight" yarn?? :aww:

Sunshine's Mom
01-07-2010, 01:49 PM
I knit socks on size 2 (US) needles and can't really imagine going much smaller. I may change my mind when I finally admit I need bifocals, but right now, 2 is about as small as I can work and still see what I'm doing.

So, do you only use a needle as small as size 2 for vision reasons or because your socks would be too small if you used a smaller needle?

Sunshine's Mom
01-07-2010, 01:51 PM
:doh: You guys use small needles for ADULT Socks???? I can't even imagine that....Is it because you use only "sock weight" yarn?? :aww:

I use socks weight yarn and can only use as small as a US2(2.75) for adult socks. Or any socks for that matter. Do you find a size 2 too small?

sandy57th
01-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Yes-- I almost always use sock yarn for socks. Very rarely I use DK or worsted, and then I do use larger needles-- I want the sock to be able to be folded:) -- wouldn't work too well on size 1 needles and weight 4 yarn!:)