PDA

View Full Version : Better fiber for hat?

MesaVerde
01-20-2010, 12:00 AM
What would be a better fiber for a hat: Lama\ Peruvian Highland Wool, or Merino\ Alpaca\ Silk?

borealowl
01-20-2010, 03:38 PM
I think the merino/alpaca/silk might be better if it's softer. Mainly just a matter of personal preference.

trvvn5
01-20-2010, 03:47 PM
I would seriously say that either of those is going to be fine. I have a personal affinity for Merino though.

Jan in CA
01-20-2010, 04:06 PM
They're all fine. It's personal choice..so which feels better to you?

OffJumpsJack
01-20-2010, 06:26 PM
Was Acrylic a choice? My answer is Acrylic. :)

1) It is less expensive.
2) It is easy to wash.
3) It is easy to find in department stores.
4) I know, it wasn't on you list.

Other than that it could be a good choice if you like it. That's what it comes to. Use what you like. ;) :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
01-20-2010, 09:30 PM
IMO, either blend is wonderful. If you already have the yarns in your stash, and if both are the same 'weight'...

...make the decision based purely upon color, texture and intricate yarn values.

jess_hawk
01-20-2010, 09:49 PM
IMO, could also depend on how you want it to wear. The llama/peruvian will probably be a little bit tougher, Merino/alpaca/silk will be a bit more... feminine and shiny. Both will be warm, merino/alpaca/silk are a little bit finer fibers. For a hat it's not that big a deal, but could be a consideration.

MesaVerde
01-20-2010, 11:49 PM
IMO, either blend is wonderful. If you already have the yarns in your stash, and if both are the same 'weight'...

...make the decision based purely upon color, texture and intricate yarn values.

They're all fine. It's personal choice..so which feels better to you?

I've never seen the yarn. I ordered it online. I ended up going with the Merino silk alpaca because it came in multi color.

JudyD
01-21-2010, 08:20 AM
<<MesaVerde- 13 year old knitter. :yay: :knitting: Yay teen knitters! >>

Ditto!

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Judy