PDA

View Full Version : iPad+ Discussion

ArtLady1981
01-29-2010, 04:32 AM
What do you think about Apple's new iPad (http://www.apple.com/ipad/?cid=CDM-US-DM-P0009044&Email_PageName=P0009044-&Email_OID=dfd5b430bc4db2c2836d0227ad9ac0c4&cp=em-P0009044-&sr=em)? I heard it's making Microsoft nervous! :teehee:

Anyhoo, it's brand new, but with all of our young techie type knitters at KH, I'm hoping you will have information and opinions to share!

meowmeowmeow
01-29-2010, 04:59 AM
I have a lot of tech fan friends and none of us have anything nice to say about it so far.We all WAITED for this thing too.

If you want to pay too much for an over-sized and overpriced iTouch...that's pretty much the only reason to buy it.It is essentially a giant iTouch and that's the only real reason it can double as a kindle.

The thing can't even do multitasking.You can only do one thing at a time.My cell phone has more power and capabilities than this thing.

Doesn't support flash.Doesn't multitask.Not convenient for gaming(cause its big so itouch games don't work as well).No USB transfer for pix and data(you need an adapter because there is no USB port).NO CAMERA??Which means no videos and no video chat(which would have been awesome and almost have redeemed the thing..but it would take a lot more).

Basically..it's what Sony did with the PSPgo. It's a resized version of something that the market had already covered, minus a lot of the details we wanted.

I don't think this thing is going to make anyone nervous except the designers for fear someone will have their heads D: At least they already announced they will re-release a camera version of it.Basically the only pro is that it has a touch screen.If you want to pay 499 for it, don't.Save your money; buy a netbook.Expand the memory from 1gb to 2gb.Buy a snazzy case(or knit it).And a wireless mouse. << this is what I'm doing instead, at least XD

zkimom
01-29-2010, 10:09 AM
I agree with meow (nice kitty!) I'm a Mac girl all the way but I can't figure out why anyone would want one. Especially for $499.

I love my iPod touch and my macbook and iMac have me covered for all the rest. I don't need to spend that kind of money for something that doesn't add anything to the mix.

GinnyG
01-29-2010, 10:59 AM
I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Belphoebe
01-29-2010, 11:11 AM
Cool........ just a Large Screen iPod Touch

Downfalls . . . no cd drive, SD card hookup, printing configuration for the price - Starting at 499.

If I were going to buy it for just books as an alternative to the Kindle...I might have to wait and see how it functions more.

kmaclean
01-29-2010, 12:58 PM
I'm definitely an Apple fan ... I love my iMac and will never go back to PC. When it comes to the iPad though, I think Apple really dropped the ball!

Everyone was excited about the upcoming release of this, but now that details have been released it's a definite disappointment. Apple products tend to be a little expensive when compared to their competitors, but usually they're worth the price ... not so in this case, at least in my opinion. They'll really have to re-work the iPad before I consider buying one!

Jan in CA
01-29-2010, 01:41 PM
I think it's really neat, but I have an iPod Touch which I love and from what I've read the iPad really is basically a souped up version of the same thing.

BTW..I use Kindle on my Touch. The app is free and I downloaded a free sample book. I loved it! The text is easy to read and the pages turn so easy it's not a problem. I bought the whole Kindle book. ;)

I have a Dell PC (love it!) but I'm not going to get into the whole Apple vs. PC thing. I think that is really personal preference just like continental vs english knitting. Two ways to accomplish the same thing. :thumbsup:

sheldon
01-29-2010, 02:03 PM
I think the iPad will get a lot more awesome when it hits version 2.0. New apple products always get better as they mature. I owned the original iPhone. It was slow, heavy, and didn't have GPS or even the App Store. The new one has matured quite a lot since then.

The new iPad is a device meant for consuming media. It isn't meant to create on, like a netbook. It's a gap-bridger between the iPhone/iPod and the MacBook, but more close in functionality to the iPhone/iPod (it runs the same OS as the iPhone). I think it's too bad that it doesn't have GPS or a front-facing camera for doing Skype or video conferencing. I think these are features that will come about in version 2.0. I don't think they will add a CD, USB, or any other inputs. Like the iPhone and Ipod it's a very closed system. I do think they will have to have printing capabilities via wifi.

I am an Apple user, but I'm not an earlier adopter. I can see myself enjoying reading books, blogs and web sites on the iPad. I spend entirely too much time on my MacBook and desktop computers, so this would feel like a difference mode than work. But I am going to wait a year and see what happens before I hand over any money. I do think they will sell a lot of these this year and surprise the naysayers. It seems new Apple stuff always beats expectations.

ArtLady1981
01-29-2010, 02:50 PM
I watched the iPad video...read the information...but I couldn't figure out if an iPad would allow the user to login to their favorite forum (ahem!) and post comments, photos, etc.

I did see the 'virtual keyboard' used for writing email...but I never assume one capability will spill over into another. Would the iPad allow the user to communicate with KH and Rav?

Anyway, many thanks for all of the great comments and opinions!
I hope even more of our KH members will add their 2 cents.

I'm a bit like Sheldon. I'm never the first kid on the block to own something 'new'.
I'm a "hmmm, wait and see how it performs..." kind of gal.
Forking over $499 for aggravation isn't on my to-do list. I can get plenty of that for free!

For example, when the VISTA-OS arrived on the scene...I waited, and waited...by the time I needed a new laptop...I knew (from reading comments) that I would need a minimum of 4GB ram for it to perform at its best. I'm not a gamer, but I'm very impatient with a slow 'puter!

So far, no iPhone here. No iMac. But I finally entered the iWorld...with an iPod Nano 5th Generation. :thumbsup:

The iPad puffs up the "photos" feature a lot. Without a USB port, or SD card support, or CD drive...how in the world do your photos get inside it? What, do we have to send them to Flickr
and then back to the iPad via internet? Oy. If so, that's double the work IMHO.

sheldon
01-29-2010, 04:13 PM
I watched the iPad video...read the information...but I couldn't figure out if an iPad would allow the user to login to their favorite forum (ahem!) and post comments, photos, etc.

Yes, you should be able to log into the KH forum just fine. iPad runs a flavor of Safari called Mobile Safari which pretty much shows web pages exactly as they would display on the standard Safari. So the forum will work, but the videos being Flash won't work. But we're working on an app that will run on iPhone/iPod/iPad to give folks mobile access to those.

I did see the 'virtual keyboard' used for writing email...but I never assume one capability will spill over into another. Would the iPad allow the user to communicate with KH and Rav?

The keyboard will display anytime you click on a field where you'd input text. So yes, you'd be able to use it to post to KH and Ravelry. However, you won't be able to attach photos to posts using the iPad. The OS doesn't allow uploading in mobile safari. Places like facebook have had to develop a special application for the iPhone to allow members to upload video and photos. That's would be a lot of work for us I'm afraid.

The iPad puffs up the "photos" feature a lot. Without a USB port, or SD card support, or CD drive...how in the world do your photos get inside it? What, do we have to send them to Flickr
and then back to the iPad via internet? Oy. If so, that's double the work IMHO.

The iPad like the iPhone and iPod has a connector that plugs into the device and can be coupled to a computer via USB. So you can sync photos, music, books, etc. very easily using iTunes and iPhone. I put photos and video on my iPhone of Erin so I can show my mom ;)

sheldon
01-29-2010, 04:32 PM
The new Kindle DX (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015TG12Q/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=4527138849&ref=pd_sl_17ltvr1uce_e) is $489. If I was in the market for an eBook reader this year, the choice would be pretty easy. I think there will be some increase in competition and innovation in the eBook market thanks to the iPad. Prices will most likely drop within a year. Most Apple stuff gets released for a early-adopter premium because they know their fans will wait in line for hours at the opportunity to hand over their money no matter the price. The iPhone, Macbook and iMac all had considerable price drops this year once Apple announced the new versions.

OffJumpsJack
01-29-2010, 06:23 PM
They were called Tablet computers the first time around and they were made by IBM and others.

They didn't do well back then, some 20 years ago. No one (or at least few) remembers them.

They were thicker back then.

How do you see in bright light? They are back lit just like your phone.

How do you see while you type? It would be flat on the desk or propped in your lap.

How could you touch type without resting your fingers on the screen? It has a limit of just two points of contact, no matter the pressure on those points.

Those are a few of the unanswered questions I've heard from others that know more about the iPhone and the abilities of touch screens.

Jan in CA
01-30-2010, 11:10 PM
I'm writing this reply on my iPod Touch. It's doable, but I think the iPad would be a lot more pleasant for forum viewing if you really have a choice. Or one of those mini computers.

saracidaltendencies
01-30-2010, 11:27 PM
I dunno what's up with me, but, I have absolutely no desire for any of that stuff...all the iwhatevers and such...lol...I have a computer and pay as you go cell phone for emergencies and I'm totally content with that...And it's not like I'm too old to appreciate any of it either, I'm only 32! Well, I say only, some of ya may think I'm an old hag...haha...I dunno, maybe it has something to do with my belief the movie Wall-E is coming true...kinda scary, really...lol

Jan in CA
01-31-2010, 12:40 AM
I'm 57 and I love technology! I'd have all kinds of things if I could afford it. :teehee:

ArtLady1981
01-31-2010, 04:47 AM
What "pushed" me towards technology is my art business.

Had to keep up with the methods of communication that the business dictates. Can't take week-long vacations and completely forsake customers needs and questions. Being self-employed, I didn't have an office assistant.

Technology has its place. It's here to stay. IMO, we should all learn to keep pace with our community.

Jan in CA
03-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Bringing this to the top because I am right on the edge of purchasing a new iPad 2. DH told me I can use some of the tax refund! I love to play games, read, etc. I use the Kindle on my iPod Touch and play several games a lot. I also have an app for PDF files as well as numerous other ones I check all the time...news, gasbuddy, weather, earthquakes, forums, etc. and it would be nice to have it all bigger for my old eyes. :lol:

Anyone else have one since this was first posted or plan on getting the new one?

ArtLady1981
03-06-2011, 09:57 PM
Good for you, Jan!

No, I won't be getting an i-pad any time soon, if at all...but from what I've read, the i-pad would definitely be FIRST CHOICE, top of my list!

I toy with the idea of an i-pad. I can get past the pricetag, but the monthly fee for an unlimited online data package is the killer.

I got lucky with my Droidx data package! $39 per month, unlimited data.
With home phone (land-line), internet, two mobile phones (one of which needs the data package)...I'm Communication Poor already. I've reached the end of my rope. If a thousand customers didn't have my land-line number, I'd yank the home phone outa the wall as many folks have done, opting for mobile phone only. Smart move IMO.

What information do you have regarding the cost of firing up a newi-pad, and its subsequent monthly fee?

sakura-panda
03-06-2011, 10:49 PM
I bought my iPad last April; it is wi-fi only, because for my purposes I don't see me ever using it outside of a wi-fi area.

I like it a lot -- I bought it for photos and movies, and it works great for both! My mom is impressed with how nice photos look and it is an easy to way to share them with her.

It boots up much faster than my netbook, so I use it for "armchair surfing" and I use both the ABC and Netflix apps often to watch tv shows. If USA had an episode app, I could probably get rid of a satellite box or two! (I can't shed satellite completely, but I could save a few bucks on the additional boxes.)

I knitted a shawl for my mom and called up the pattern on the iPad and used that instead of printing it out. It was a simple pattern -- not one I needed to print out -- and it was a convenient reference.

I haven't done any reading on it although I do have several book and document apps. One of these days I'm going to load up the PDF that I have for my camera manual and see how it looks -- I think it would be a great way to reference it! However, I have an e-ink reader and I do most of my reading on that, rather than the iPad.

My husband has a subscription to an automobile repair manual site; when he replaced the radio in his truck, he took the iPad out into the garage with him while he was troublshooting the wiring. It would have been a pain for him to have tried that with any kind of standard computer.

I have a small bit of enthusiasm for my iPad. I do not, however, have any great love for iTunes and I would get a lot more out of it if it wasn't tied to iTunes. I can get a lot out of it -- the app store is integrated into the tablet -- but to load up extra content such as music or books, I have to go through iTunes and for some reason it is a difficult process for me. (DH says if I connected more often it would be less painful, but I don't connect often because it is painful. :eyes: )

Good luck with your decision! I highly recommend it, if you think you can use it. I wouldn't trade in mine for the new one -- not enough improvements for my uses -- but I would say to go for the new one if you don't already have one. :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
03-06-2011, 11:29 PM
What information do you have regarding the cost of firing up a newi-pad, and its subsequent monthly fee?

According to AT&T (which I'd go with) you can get 250mb of data for $14.50 a mo and 2G of data for $25.00 a mo. I don't know what it is at Verizon. You choose your Ipad based on which service you want. The prices is the same, but the chip (or whatever) would be different so they aren't interchangeable.

I have a friend who has an iPad and she said she turns the 3G off when she's not using it and therefore doesn't have to pay for it. So you could pay for it when you go on a trip and not when you're just at home. It depends on what you want to use it for.

Nothing is cheap anymore that's for sure and I know that I can get a Kindle or other reader for a lot less, but I like the multiple things I can do.

Thanks Katie and Dollyce!

TrikkeAddict
03-06-2011, 11:39 PM
I love the iPad - got mine on the first day they were out last year. Then my husband decided he wanted one so I gave him mine (32GB wi-fi) and bought myself the 32GB 3G + wi-fi. Now I'm trying to sell the wi-fi only so I can buy myself a new one - the 3G will go to my husband.

ArtLady - you can't get an unlimited data plan, you have two choices of limited data. I have the cheaper one - $14.99 a month for 250MB with AT&T and I only use it when we lose power at home or when I take it on the road with me. Mostly I use wi-fi though.

The other plan is 2GB for $25.00. I'm not sure about the Verizon version - haven't seen pricing for that, but I'm going to assume that it will be similar, if not the same.

I look forward to getting the iPad 2!!!

ArtLady1981
03-07-2011, 01:07 AM
...ArtLady - you can't get an unlimited data plan, you have two choices of limited...

What is the difference between 'going wifi' in relation to the data limit you've subscribed to? When you are accessing the internet inside your own home wifi, are you using bites out of your data package, or is the wifi usage FREE, that is, included with your own home internet privileges? If that's so, then your 'in-home' i-pad use would be FREE, not taking away from your monthly allotment of data. I guess same goes for FREE WIFI when you're out and about at coffee shops.

So then, when does an internet access data package become essential? Just when you don't have access to either your own home wifi, or, free wifi at coffee shops?

If that's the case, an unlimited data package wouldn't be necessary for me, as it is using my Droidx, for Ravelry, KH, and tons of surfing, googling etc.

If my understanding is right, then a 2nd generation i-pad IS an option for me!
I can swing the initial cost of the tablet, but hate saddling myself with another ongoing fee for usage.

Did y'all see how crazy nuts OPRAH is about her i-pad? She have away i-pads on her OPRAH'S FAVORITE THINGS! She had a hissy when APPLE at first refused to donate the 300+ i-pads for the Special, saying they didn't need the boost of exposure. Somewhere in the stream of time from when her staff gave her the bad news from APPLE, the Apple people changed their mind and have the Oprah Show the 300+ i-pads.

Boy, I sure wish I'd been in that audience that day!

Oprah sits her i-pad on her treadmill every morning and plays Scrabble! It's a hoot! Her i-pad is glued to her all day!

Jan in CA
03-07-2011, 01:25 AM
When you are accessing the internet inside your own home wifi, are you using bites out of your data package, or is the wifi usage FREE, that is, included with your own home internet privileges? If that's so, then your 'in-home' i-pad use would be FREE, not taking away from your monthly allotment of data.

There is no monthly allotment unless you are limited by your own wifi plan. Other than the cost of the original iPad it would be "free".

So then, when does an internet access data package become essential? Just when you don't have access to either your own home wifi, or, free wifi at coffee shops?

Exactly. Or when you travel or you're in your car and want to use it for directions or whatever. Since you have the phone you can use it with then it really isn't necessary. I was considering 3G because I do not have a phone right now that can do that. I hate my phone now. What I should do is get the wifi iPad and get a new phone! :think:

Ohhhh I would love to have been in the audience that day, too! :inlove:

ArtLady1981
03-07-2011, 03:07 AM
Thank, Jan! I'm going to poke around at Apple! We have a new Mac store within walking distance. I purchased my i-pod nano from them. Something extra special about paying and walking out the door with the item!

Are second generation i-pads available NOW?

TrikkeAddict
03-07-2011, 07:52 AM
You can't start ordering the new iPad on the Apple website until Friday. I'm guessing they will be in Apple stores then also - I read at 5 pm Friday, but I don't know if that is accurate information.

You only need the data plan with the 3g version - and you don't have to pay every month if you don't want to. There is no contract. But if you don't need 3g you can save yourself $130 and buy the wi-fi only version and use your own wi-fi at home or at hotspots.

TrueIconoclast
03-07-2011, 01:52 PM
As a teenager, I developed a hobby of buying broken Apple products on eBay, fixing them up, and reselling.

Let me just say it one more time in another way, so you can understand my distaste for Apple as a company:

When I was 16 I was buying broken iPods on eBay. Broken iPods that people were selling because they couldn't afford Apple's repair price. We'll take the cheapest repair - a broken headphone jack. Cost about $200 - $300 to have the Apple store fix it if your warranty ran out, and an additional $100 to diagnose the problem (whereas I just read the seller's description of what was malfunctioning and knew what the problem was [no sound=broken headphone jack]). Then I would buy the headphone jack for $3 (brand new, OEM parts), which came with the iPod opening tool. The broken iPod and headphone jack would come in the mail. I would take 15 minutes to open up the iPod, take out the old headphone jack, install the new one, and close the iPod up.

Bought the broken iPod for $60
Fixed it for $3
Resold it on eBay for about $90 - $110 as a repaired iPod.
Profit - $30 - $50

Here are Apple's prices (using the EXACT same parts and equipment as me):
Diagnosis: $100
Repair: $200 - $300
Your cost of parts (paid to Apple): $50
Their profit: $347 - $447

So, not based on their products, but based on their service, I would really wait to get a windows based tablet PC. Apple charges an arm and a leg for the original product, and then additionally for repairs because they can, because Apple and Mac products are considered "fly" (as I write this response on a 16-year-old MAC that I got for free.....there was no OS, just had to install it......Apple's appraisal for re-installing the OS was $200).

Hope this was helpful. But Apple is one of those companies that's just plain evil. That's my opinion.

Oh, and did I mention that I never had any formal training for fixing these iPods? I got an idea one day, typed "fixing iPods" into Google, and created a somewhat successful iPod repair business off eBay when I was 16.

TrikkeAddict
03-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Funny post!!! Name a company that isn't out to make money.

TrueIconoclast
03-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Funny post!!! Name a company that isn't out to make money.

^^^True dat^^^

I do like the actual product itself, it's just Mac and Apple as corporations that I hate. And maybe I'm just biased against them for some reason, but I just honestly can't stand Apple lol.

sheldon
03-08-2011, 02:22 PM
Bringing this to the top because I am right on the edge of purchasing a new iPad 2. DH told me I can use some of the tax refund! I love to play games, read, etc. I use the Kindle on my iPod Touch and play several games a lot. I also have an app for PDF files as well as numerous other ones I check all the time...news, gasbuddy, weather, earthquakes, forums, etc. and it would be nice to have it all bigger for my old eyes. :lol:

Anyone else have one since this was first posted or plan on getting the new one?

I have a 3G iPad. I carry it with me everywhere and a day doesn't go by that I don't use it for something, be it reading blogs and books, administering KH, managing the servers, sending emails, etc. I even use it to track my workouts.

I think having the option of 3G service is worth it for the convenience. You can pay for it when you need it, and cancel it when you don't. Well worth the extra cost in my opinion. An iPad without internet is kind of pointless. :mrgreen:

As for the iPad 2, I won't be upgrading to the iPad 2 myself. The new features are evolutionary, not revolutionary and there's nothing compelling me to upgrade. However, there are some rumors that apple may release an iPad 3 in the fall at the same time they announce the new iPods. Historically apple announcing the new iPods before the holiday buying season. The iPad is a similar gift giving device, so moving the release to the pre-holiday buying season makes perfect sense. With tablet competition being what it is, Apple had to come out with something now. This is of course rumor, and no one really knows what apple will do.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/02/09/ipad-3/

Jan in CA
03-08-2011, 03:43 PM
I'm glad to hear your thoughts on this, Sheldon. Although I do play games on my iPod Touch and will on the iPad if I don't get 3G it would be just a bigger version of the same thing (basically). That's why I'm leaning toward the extra expense if I do get it.

I don't know if I'd carry it around everywhere. It's a little large for my purse. :lol: I don't know I'm still trying to justify it. I love gadgets and technology so it's hard not to jump in especially when I've got the money in my hot little hands!

As for an iPad 3 - no matter when I buy it there'll be a bigger/smaller, faster, prettier version (even in another brand) just around the corner. I learned that when I started buying computers. I can't keep up so I buy the very best I can afford rather than go bottom line because it's "good enough" and inexpensive or go into debt buying the high end product. Seems to have worked last time I bought a computer because it's 3 yrs old, still runs great and I'm not chomping at the bit to get a new one. :lol:

This means for the iPad I'd get the 32G wifi/3G version of iPad 2. Now all this being said..what is this retina display everyone is talking about? I don't have a problem with the display on my iPod and the iPads seem fine to me. :??

TrikkeAddict
03-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Jan, here's a link about the retina display - http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/retina-display.html

Jan in CA
03-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Jan, here's a link about the retina display - http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/retina-display.html

Ohhhhh...that is cool! Thanks for the link!

Debkcs
03-09-2011, 10:14 AM
My iPhone has retina display, love it when I use it. The next piece of text I want is an iPad, maybe when the next version comes out. For now, happy to use the Kindle reader app on my phone.

Family and friends gave me a new laptop at Christmas, and now I find that there is a laptop that you can attach a smart phone to! That would make my work easier.

ArtLady1981
03-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Hmmmm...I guess I've been reading too much.
From what I've read...Apple will plop a newer version of the iPad into the mix this Fall, prolly September...the iPad3. Well c'mon now. How does that make me feel on March 11th? I think I can stand to wait til September to see what the newest version will contain.

In doing some playing around at Apple...come to find out...an iPad2 would NOT cost $499 as I had thought...but rather $829 with Wifi+3G. Then add on to that the new Smart Cover (very cool indeed!) and other little things...we arrive at a price-tag of $1093.

http://storeimages.apple.com/1821/as-images.apple.com/is/image/AppleInc/MC950_AV1_BLACK?wid=524&hei=332&fmt=jpeg&qlt=95&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.5,0.5,0,0&iccEmbed=0&layer=comp

Welllll, my next thought is (and this idea was put into my mind through one of the forums I was digging around in...): what would it cost to just get a 10.1" Dell mini-netbook? And what would the little netbook have that the iPad doesn't have?

Anyway...what are your thoughts about the Mini-Netbook vs any good brand of Tablet? Why would you recommend one over the other, besides the 'cool factor'? Being cool doesn't count! :teehee:

Jan in CA
03-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Wow.. that's crazy! I just checked and a 32G wifi/3g comes to $841 including tax. Still a lot of money, but about $200 less than you mentioned. I'm still thinking about it.

I've looked at netbooks and they did interest me, but I like the touch screen, the apps, not having to have virus software....

ETA: Oh and the $499 one is the 16G w/o 3g. I guess you just looked at the wrong one. From what I was reading the one in Sept (IF there is one) is more of a 2.5 version so not a big difference. The main difference seems like it might be retina display which does look cool. Best Buy will buy the product back if a new one comes out, but they only give you part of the cost. Like half if it comes out in 6mos. Better than nothing I suppose.

ArtLady1981
03-11-2011, 07:54 PM
$1093 is the total with the SMART COVER ($69) and the other niceties for it. Every single little thing costs extra.

Jan in CA
03-11-2011, 09:16 PM
I counted that in my total. Not sure why mine is different then. I must have missed something. :??

ArtLady1981
03-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Whups! My total is $1,103!

Here's how and why:
1)The iPad2/64GB with wifi + 3GB: $829
2) Smart Cover (red leather): $69
3) Apple Digital AV Adapter: $39
4) Apple iPad 2 Camera Connection Kit: $29
5) iPad 2 Dock: $29
6) Apple VGA Adapter: $29
7) Apple Care Protection Plan: $79
GRAND TOTAL : $ 1,103
(this is assuming most people already have ear buds, and don't need/want separate speakers or wireless keyboard!)

Additional set-up costs: data plan with either AT&T or Verizon, and possibly start-up fees as well....everyone wants their pound of flesh!

Jan in CA
03-12-2011, 01:34 AM
Oh now see... you added all kinds of stuff. ;)

I'd get the cheaper cover, I only want 32G, and I don't want 3, 4, 5 or 6 for sure. Didn't think about the care protection plan. I already have AT&T so I'm thinking I'd just be adding on to it.

I don't know. Virtually everyone I know who has it says it's worth it and loves it. :shrug:

Breezed
03-13-2011, 09:42 PM
I have an imac pro. It's an Apple laptop, only 13 in screen so it's small and very lightweight. It has all the features of an ipad but much more resourceful without all of those ridiculous addons. It also has a huge battery life, unlike the iPad, which is said to be terrible. I love it. My bf just bought it for me a couple months ago.

sakura-panda
03-13-2011, 10:36 PM
That's a lot of stuff that you added, ArtLady! For my iPad (64G, WiFi only, $599), in the last year I have bought a zip around case ($69) and the camera connection kit ($29).

I believe that netbooks and tablets have different functions and it depends what you want to do. The main difference between the mini-Dell and the iPad is that one is runs pc software and the other runs device specific "apps". It really depends on what your needs and plans are.

The Best Buy product buyback programs has a fee that is paid at the same time that you purchase your product from them and is repaid with credit for their store.

I bought a netbook the year before the iPad came out, to use for internet surfing on the couch and to take along on vacations. After I bought my iPad, I found that I use it very little -- only for managing my ebooks, iTunes, and the kids' Leapfrog Tag Reader libraries. I take it with me when I go scrapbooking too, for handy reference to my photos.

On the minus side, the netbook takes longer to boot up for going on the internet -- I find it quicker to just turn on the iPad -- and if there is an app for something that I want, then the iPad is faster and quicker to perform those tasks as well.

When we travel, I take the iPad and leave the netbook at home -- most travel surfing is to search out nearby restaurants and maybe a store if I need to get something and the iPad works great for that. It also works great for kids' games and I have watched several tv shows on it.

Jan in CA
03-14-2011, 12:43 AM
The little macbook looks nice, but it's much heavier, thicker and larger than the iPad. Sure, it has the capability of a regular computer vs. and iTouch, but prefer a touch screen vs a laptop.

The iPads are sold out right now so that gives me time to think a bit more. ;)

ArtLady1981
03-14-2011, 01:07 AM
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/03/13/piper-jaffray-ipad-2-totally-sold-out-70-to-new-buyers/

Received a Tweet: Interesting article! Great info, as well as consumer comparisons!

ArtLady1981
03-14-2011, 01:14 AM
http://www.slashgear.com/potential-ipad-2-shortages-tipped-by-supply-chain-leaks-02137052/

Ran into another Twitter link regarding the reason ipad2 is so hugely backordered....the super thin glass!

ArtLady1981
03-14-2011, 09:32 AM
Tweet!

Who should get it, and who should not...

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/hiner/apple-ipad-2-who-should-buy-and-who-should-pass/7896

ArtLady1981
03-14-2011, 10:52 AM
Tweeted by David Carnoy/CNET:

ipad 2 as an e-reader: Glare is still an issue

http://m.cnet.com/Article.rbml;jsessionid=FzH+WVBAbJXFXP4mz96urw**?n id=20042535&cid=latest&bid=82&webref=reviews.cnet.com%2F8301-18438_7-20042535-82.html%3F

ArtLady1981
03-14-2011, 09:47 PM
Another bit of advice I read on the ipad 2 forums...is that if we wait a bit...the Apple will undoubtedly come out with an ipad that is the size of the Kindle. About 7". Much more portable. And maybe affordable?

Anyway, the general consensus is...if you have the ipad first generation...hang on to it...and wait til Apple releases ipad 3. You'll get a lot more bang for the buck. Significant improvements.

The size of the ipad 2 is akin to a netbook. Wouldn't it be great if it was just 7"? For most applications. Maybe not all.

I like the portability of the Kindle size. A 10" Apple ipad 2 is no way gonna fit it my coat pocket! Or in my handbag!

sakura-panda
03-15-2011, 02:21 PM
From last October: Steve Jobs Calls 7-Inch Tablets 'Dead on Arrival', Says 10-Inches Minimum (
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/18/steve-jobs-criticizes-7-inch-tablets-says-10-inches-minimum/)

"...Commenting on avalanche of tablets heading to market. Just a handful of credible entrants. Almost all use 7" screen, compared to iPad at nearly 10" screen. 7" screen is only 45% as large as iPad's screen. Hold an iPad in portrait view and draw a horizontal line halfway down. What's left is a 7" screen...too small. There are clear limits to how close elements can be on the screen before users can't touch accurately. We believe 10-inch screen is minimum necessary."

Jan in CA
03-15-2011, 11:30 PM
Me thinks Dollyce is trying to talk me out of iPad 2. So far it's not working. :lol:

My only concern really with the iPad is typing on it. Those of you who have it..what do you think of typing on it? I know you can get a keyboard, but let's assume I don't have one. I know you can't rest your fingers on the keys like you can on regular computer and you can't really use your thumbs like you do with an iPhone. Is it hard to hover?

ArtLady1981
03-16-2011, 12:55 AM
Me thinks Dollyce is trying to talk me out of iPad 2. So far it's not working. :lol:

My only concern really with the iPad is typing on it. Those of you who have it..what do you think of typing on it? I know you can get a keyboard, but let's assume I don't have one. I know you can't rest your fingers on the keys like you can on regular computer and you can't really use your thumbs like you do with an iPhone. Is it hard to hover?

Who me??? :eyes: Nahhhh.

Here's my takeaway from reading all the information that's hit the decks:

Apple's ipad is the best tablet out there, hands down. All of their competitors are scrambling to 'catch the boat'....but the ship has sailed...and all they can do is wait on shore for the next boat...but Apple will still be ahead of them!

The consensus seems to be: if you have the first generation ipad, don't trade it in for the ipad2. Wait for ipad3.

As for the 7" ipad2...the articles are eluding to it as the competitions' ONLY HOPE. They cannot top the ipad, so develop something Apple doesn't have, and vows it will NEVER have. Here's the consensus: "famous last words". Steve Jobs has said things like that before...what he's NEVER GONNA DO... and then he does it, and does it BETTER. If a Kindle size tablet "takes off"...Apple will follow, and probably do that better, too. But the competition is just itchin' to beat Apple to it!

Also Jan, since you're already on the Apple train with i-things, but no ipad, it makes perfect sense for you to stick with the brand. You'll have fewer software issues with your downloads, books, music, :doh: etc. That's what the consensus is.

I say, go for out!

By the way, I LOVE the onscreen virtual keyboard and the SWYPE option. Never looked back. Hate keyboards on small things!

sakura-panda
03-16-2011, 09:46 AM

I don't hover over the keys -- I use it sitting in the recliner, usually held in one hand while I type with the other. If I'm typing a lot (very rare), I might set it on my lap and use the onscreen keyboard in a more conventional manner, although it really isn't the same except for the order of the keys. (It's more like two-finger typing, except that I'm using all of my fingers.) I think it is significantly better than the keyboard that is on the iPod Touch (presumably the same as the iPhone.)

I don't understand your comment about your thumbs since I don't use my thumbs on either my phone or my iPod Touch. :blush:

The most difficult part about using the onscreen keyboard for me is a) autocorrect --haven't figured out how to turn it off but haven't really looked to see if possibleand b) no cursor keys -- if I need to go back (nearly always due to an autocorrected word) I have to either delete my way back or try to poke the cursor into the right spot, which usually ends up at "close enough". :shrug:

ArtLady1981
03-16-2011, 11:47 AM
I don't hover over the keys -- I use it sitting in the recliner, usually held in one hand while I type with the other. If I'm typing a lot (very rare), I might set it on my lap and use the onscreen keyboard in a more conventional manner, although it really isn't the same except for the order of the keys. (It's more like two-finger typing, except that I'm using all of my fingers.) I think it is significantly better than the keyboard that is on the iPod Touch (presumably the same as the iPhone.)

I don't understand your comment about your thumbs since I don't use my thumbs on either my phone or my iPod Touch. :blush:

The most difficult part about using the onscreen keyboard for me is a) autocorrect --haven't figured out how to turn it off but haven't really looked to see if possibleand b) no cursor keys -- if I need to go back (nearly always due to an autocorrected word) I have to either delete my way back or try to poke the cursor into the right spot, which usually ends up at "close enough". :shrug:
The auto-correct/spell-checker on the Droidx is a pesky thing. I don't know about your ipad, but my Droidx has a "list" of words that I've supposedly "trained" it to do. I can edit that list. Also, if my Droidx has the SWYPE option for keyboard entry instead of hunt-and-peck tappity-tapping...your ipad most certainly should, too. Keyboard settings will have the options available, and prolly a learning tutorial, too. SWYPE is the only way to go!

SWYPE is prolly universally available for many onscreen keyboards. BTW, see my word "prolly"? It's not a word, but my auto correct has accepted it and no longer "corrects" it. There is little pop-up window that appears if you type normally, and when you see your wierd word in it and TOUCH IT, the auto correct "learns" it and won't insist on changing it! If you enable SWYPE, you can still hunt-and-peck, too.

SWYPE is blazingly fast. I'd never go back.

Jan in CA
03-16-2011, 01:00 PM
I don't understand what SWYPE is on the Droidx, but I do have an iPod Touch like you do, Katie. It's the same for the most part as an iPhone (minus the phone, etc).

Here's a video of typing with your thumbs. This is how I do it except for the few applications that don't allow landscape mode..like Words with Friends. (:???:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryZky0y4ERg
And here's a few other shortcuts I found -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8shvqhN8ss

And here's how to turn off auto correct.
http://cnettv.cnet.com/iphone-3gs-keyboard-tricks/9742-1_53-50073859.html

I knew a few of these things, but not all. Gotta love Google!

I know I can type with a few fingers, but I've always used both thumbs (except in special circumstances) so I was wondering how to use all fingers. I'll go look that up, too! :lol:

sakura-panda
03-16-2011, 04:39 PM
I believe that swype is android-only -- it's a way to just run your finger across the keys and have it to predict the letters and words you want. It came with DH's phone and he says he loves it! (I have a slide-out keyboard and never bothered to download the beta version before it was pulled from the market.)

It does seem odd that Apple doesn't have it, but a quick Google says that it isn't currently an option on iOS. :pout:

Did your Droid come with it? Or is it part of the latest Android OS? That would explain why DH has it and I don't since my phone is stuck at 2.1 and is no longer supported by Samsung.

Thanks for the tips, Jan! :thumbsup: I don't think I've ever been able to call up the keyboard in landscape mode like that -- I'll have to remember to try that! My phone (Android OS, Samsung Moment) has a slide out keyboard that I do use mostly my thumbs with. (I actually pulled it out to see how I do it -- I wasn't sure. ;) )

ArtLady1981
03-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Did your Droid come with it?

Yes, SWYPE was already installed on my Droidx, which I purchased Aug 2010. Funny thing, I didn't know I had it!!! My Ravelry knitting buddy received the Droid Incredible as a Christmas gift, and she told me about it! Her husband is an IT guy for a business, so she kinda gets help on the home front! He's always helping her figure out software and hardware issues, or just plain does it for her. I'm jealous. :pout:

sakura-panda
03-17-2011, 10:43 AM
It seems that it just being included in specific phones then, and since mine is no longer supported by the manufacturer or Sprint, I'm out of luck. (I'm trying to talk myself out of getting a new phone with my tax refund and it's not working well. I want to treat myself to something before I commit the balance to bills and savings, but I keep waivering between a new phone, a set of Addi Clicks, or an Oberon case for my Kindle!)

Jan in CA
03-18-2011, 02:09 AM
Due to the lack of iPads and the problems in Japan which may very well lead to long delays I'm going to wait a while. I just got on an iPhone so I'm one happy camper anyway! :yay::cheering::yay:

lared
03-22-2011, 02:03 AM
Well, maybe iPad is too expensive for me, i think maybe there are some android tablets can play the same functions as iPad, but there are cheaper more.

ArtLady1981
03-22-2011, 04:45 AM
Understand how you feel about the pricetag on the ipad. :thumbsup:

I'm just gathering information at this time myself. Weighing the cost against the need. If I can establish 'a need' that justifies the cost....the next step is comparing the different brands! If I get that far...then I analyze the data plan, the ongoing monthly costs, the contract I'm locked into!

I've never been a person who dives in, head first. It takes me a long time to jump on the band wagon. I've usually been the last person to get something NEW! No matter what little piece, or, big piece of technology...I'm last. Hence, I've never been sorry, and I've always used my new stuff to great advantage!

I love this new ipad tablet innovation...but still on the fence about its usefulness for me. No doubt, by the time I'm over the fence, the ipad6 will be released, and the price will be $300 for a 128G with a 6G ram/internet speed capability, with the choice of 11" or 7" screen! And unlimited data packages for $40 per month!

My little 4.3" Droidx has spoiled me! I love it's small, convenient size. Fits into my jeans pocket! Love that! My EVERYTHING is with me EVERYWHERE. Left pocket has my Driver's License, credit card, debit card, proof of insurance, and $20.....Right pocket has my precious Droidx! And...car/house keys are around my neck on a lanyard! Totally hands free!

Jan in CA
03-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Interesting...verrry interesting!

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/27/134897271/cheaper-than-a-tablet-rooting-your-e-reader?sc=fb&cc=fp
http://theunlockr.com/2011/03/03/samsung-galaxy-tab-vs-rooted-nook-color/#

ArtLady1981
03-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Interesting...verrry interesting!

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/27/134897271/cheaper-than-a-tablet-rooting-your-e-reader?sc=fb&cc=fp
http://theunlockr.com/2011/03/03/samsung-galaxy-tab-vs-rooted-nook-color/#

OMG, Jan, OMG! If I owned a Nook Color...even I could follow his directions and root my Nook! WOW!

Did you read this at the end of the article?

"Barnes & Noble declined to comment on the use of its Nook Color e-book reader as an Android tablet. The terms of service for the device make it clear that rooting voids the warranty. But recent talk in the tech blogosphere indicates that the company may soon issue a software update that will make the Nook more of a tablet without hacking it."

Jan in CA
03-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Yeah, I did read that. I don't think I want to void the warranty on anything, but I thought this was very cool.

I looked on Consumer Reports (I have a subscription) and it's not a recommended reader, but I suspect that is due the quite a bit more expensive cost vs. the Kindle (even with 3G). Personally I'm more attracted to anything with a touch screen though so if I was going to get a reader I'd probably go with the Nook.

BTW..in looking at tablet computers the iPad in the highest rated. The Motorola Xoom is recommended, but is more expensive than iPad. :zombie:

ArtLady1981
03-27-2011, 03:15 PM
....in looking at tablet computers the iPad in the highest rated. The Motorola Xoom is recommended, but is more expensive than iPad. :zombie:

I read that too! But I didn't realize the Xoom was more expensive!

I dunno...you know me...that last to jump on the bandwagon. I'm going to use my Droidx throughout 2011 for all of my on-the-go internet needs...or, for when I'm being too lazy to walk from my knitting chair into my office laptop!

The Droidx has really spoiled me! However, using my laptop for keyboarding is much quicker, and efficient. SWYPE is fast for the Droidx virtual keyboard...but not as fast as my fingers on this laptop keyboard!

When I'm loading photos into my Rav projects...I can't use the touch screen on the Droidx to 'drag/drop' photos from your Flickr tool into the project. So...the laptop isn't going to go anywhere, regardless of the SCARE about laptops being a thing of the past someday.

This CLOUD thing is ridiculous. You've no doubt read about it. It's being heavily promoted on TV ads. Lots of talk out there about it making real software (on our 'puters) become obsolete. I do not want to do my business in the CLOUD, somewhere in outer space. I want my software right here in my office. They can shove the CLOUD.

It might serve some folks' needs...but not mine. :doh:

sakura-panda
03-30-2011, 09:54 AM
I did it backwards, where I got my iPad first, loved it so much that I bought an iPod Touch. :teehee:

Supposedly it is very easy to root a Nook, with very little risk of bricking it. (Even the not-color Nook can be rooted to run apps.) I am intrigued by the idea, but I don't think that the Android OS is tablet-ready and that the majority of apps probably don't look good on the larger screen, similar to the way iPhone apps are not optimized for the iPad.

I'd rather wait for the next OS -- "Gingerbread" -- that is supposed to specifically support tablets and see how the reviews are, before I consider any sort of larger Android device. My smartphone with the 4" screen will do just fine for now!

Jan in CA
03-30-2011, 01:28 PM
Katie, why would you want an android tablet since you have an iPad?

sakura-panda
03-31-2011, 10:56 AM
Jan -- I'm a bit of a tech junkie and I gravitate toward things that are shiny and new. :blush: Now that I have upgraded my phone to one that has a larger screen and actually *responds* when I want to do things, I'm not likely to be getting another Android app device.

However, while researching my phone, it's hard to search for "Samsung" and "Android" and not end up with a lot of information about the tablets too. The phone I was researching (and ultimately bought) is a "Galaxy S" phone, which is also the basis for the Samsung tablet. I ended up inadvertantly researching for both and even considered whether it would be better to upgrade to a tablet and continue with my current phone. :shrug:

In the end I decided to go with replacing my phone and I think I made the right choice for me. :thumbsup:

You are correct that since I have an iPad, and since it suits a particular purpose for me, I really don't have any need for another tablet. :teehee:

Jan in CA
03-31-2011, 01:14 PM
Ohhh I love techie stuff and gadgets, but my limited budget keeps me under control. :lol: Now I have an iPod Touch, an iPhone 3gs as well as my desktop PC (Dell). DH said he'd let me get the iPad, but I'm thinking of selling my camera to help fund my habit. :lol: