PDA

View Full Version : Maybe it's just me...

PinkRoses
02-03-2010, 03:49 PM
but I have the WORST time trying to figure out how to graft the end of a sock. :?? :frog: I've watched the videos over and over and over. I've tried learning with my books. I've tried everything. I'm an experienced knitter too! I can tackle everthing...except...the end of a sock. It's seriously kicking my butt.

Jan in CA
02-03-2010, 04:01 PM
You can do it. Just do it one step at a time and use a mantra. When I'm doing it I say "knit, purl, purl, knit." Here's another page with still shots if you find that easier. I find that sometimes stills work better for me than a video because I can keep looking back at it if I need to.
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer04/FEATtheresasum04.html

Another option for you might be to learn to do toe up socks. No grafting.

PinkRoses
02-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Thanks, Jan! I've just bookmarked the page. Maybe it's like driving a car. Once I get the hang of it, I'll look back and wonder how I ever thought it was difficult. Either that or I just have my needles in permanent park. LOL

trvvn5
02-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Thanks, Jan! I've just bookmarked the page. Maybe it's like driving a car. Once I get the hang of it, I'll look back and wonder how I ever thought it was difficult. Either that or I just have my needles in permanent park. LOL

I can't seem to get it either. When I read it it seems so easy but when I do it just turns out all wrong.

PinkRoses
02-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Jan, that worked! I think I should have just stuck to pictures with the four steps. I was watching too many videos and I just wasn't following it all that well. Wish I had a bunch of socks to sew up so I could really get it drilled into my memory bank. :)
Thanks for the encouragement and help. :muah:

PinkRoses
02-03-2010, 04:48 PM
trvvn5 -
I used to think cables were difficult too. But now I can do them in my sleep. Easy-peasy! I think my problem with the grafting part is I just don't "get it" for some reason. Nothing beats being able to do a pattern when you don't even have to look at the steps anymore. :happydance: Hopefully someday I'll be able to make my own patterns. That's my big goal.

cindycactus
02-03-2010, 05:43 PM
I had a hard time when I first started doing socks. But when it came time to graft I sat in front of the computer and followed the video. Made mistakes but after about 5 pair of socks I had it down. And like Jan, I say knit, purl, purl knit. Keep working at it and it will become second nature.

Crycket
02-03-2010, 10:56 PM
it is really weird...but I love grafting socks. I think it is the last breath of a sock well knit!

Practice makes perfect...and patients helps too! You will get there!!

AngelaR
02-04-2010, 08:49 AM
I had the hardest time learning grafting and it took me some months (yes, I really am that dense) to figure out that I just don't knit and purl like everyone else. Jan, thankfully saved my life by pointing out that I knit combined and I was purling continental... from there I watched some of the videos here, twisted my stitches correctly and voila!

That is why I recommend this site to everyone I know who knits (and the list is growing with each visit to the craft stores.)

OffJumpsJack
02-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Wow, I remember trying it the first time. Thought I had it down but after a few stitches saw a few big holes! I messed up the order or skip something on a stitch and it was like a big YO hole is a few places. Looked all wonky and loose in places too.

I had to pick it out all the way to the beginning and tried again and again.

Then I realized I couldn't have any distractions for needing to concentrate. I think I printed a page of pictures that sounds like the description of the page Jan linked above.

Here are the few points I learned. You are sewing a stockinette pattern which is like a sign wave.
http://bellsouthpwp.net/j/s/jstev007/images/GraftingPath.JPG

1) Each loop has to have both an purl and then a knit pass of the thread.

2) Repeat the mantra, it keeps you focused.
I started with "on front needle: knit, slip, purl; now back needle: purl, slip, knit." Eventually I shortened that to *knit, purl; purl knit*

3) To get started you have to do just the second part of the pattern (mantra) on each needle. That is combining points one and 2 above: Purl front and hold it, knit back and hold, then begin full mantra *knit, purl; purl, knit* for a few repeats.

4) If you need to stop, always stop at the same spot in the mantra. (I chose to stop after the knit on the back needle). This prevented the holes I had.

5) After a few repeats, stop and tighten the stitches to match your gauge.

6) It takes about yarn of about three times the length/width of the seam to be grafted to stitch it up. I would wrap the yarn around the needle for as many stitches as I needed to graft and then added a good long tail to hold on to.

7)If you can turn your work, that makes it easier to weave in a generous tail before cutting off the extra.

For grafting practice, here my pattern for a diagonal striped potholder with invisible seams. Jack's Magic Potholder (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1260065#post1260065) starts with a provisional cast on and ends with grafting. For a smaller project you could CO fewer stitches (by about half, I would guess) to make a bean bag sized pouch (if stuffed) or a coaster.

AngelaR
02-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I repeat the "knit slip purl, purl slip knit" while I am grafting. http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs18/f/2007/150/0/2/BIG_Smile_by_the_ace_chef.gif

fluffybunny
02-05-2010, 06:07 PM
The thing that helped me most was spritzing it and blocking it first so those stitches would stay put. It is very hard to see what is what when your knitting is all bunched up.