PDA

View Full Version : What'cha knitting for Christmas?

mamapaulsel
02-06-2010, 11:30 PM
I know that it's only February, but I've started my Christmas knitting early. I'm doing a drop stitch scarf for SIL I'm working with size 10.5 needles and using Choo-Choo by Crystal Palace Yarns Straw Into Gold.

Now I need other ideas for the rest of the family. I'm open to any and all ideas. My goal is to knit for one family member/month to spread out the cost and time. Here is the list of people I need ideas for:
FIL: hat ~ in progress
MIL: Throw ~ in progress
SIL#1: Drop stitch scarf ~ completed
SIL#2: Eyelet scarf ~ completed
BIL#1: Cable Knit hat and Key Hole Scarf ~ completed
BIL#2: hat ~ in progress
BIL#3: hat ~ in progress
Nephew: hat ~ in progress
DH: ?
DD#1: ?
DD#2: ?

Anyone else out there working on Christmas knitting?

Daylilydayzed
02-06-2010, 11:38 PM
What about some lacy wristwarmers for the SIL and mittens and hat sets for the guys. Scarfs for the men is another choice. I knitted a scarf for a student that comes through my crossing(I am a school crossing guard) I used the Zurich scarf at NaturallyCaron.com . It is a free PDF download and it can be made for either woman or man. I knitted it using Wool-Ease from Lion Brand. It turned out beautifully and the young man loved it.

Jan in CA
02-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Christmas 2010??..... :passedout: That's a great idea though!

Here's a few ideas -
coffee mug, beer/soda can- cozies
socks
hats
head bands/head scarf
bag/purse
book cover (could be bible cover if you use them)

GrandmaLori
02-07-2010, 02:00 PM
There are so many cute felted purse patterns around. I see you have more Male recipients though. Slippers make a good gift for men/boys.

borealowl
02-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Please let's not think about Christmas just yet! I drove myself crazy knitting for it last year by starting in June. I just kept adding people to the list, spending more, and not getting anything else done. Small projects are good - one a month is a great idea, knitting only for those you know will appreciate it and thinking of something else (like a card) for those who don't is another good idea. The toasty toes slippers and neckwarmers are my standbys - fast and something everyone can use.

etoilechaude
02-07-2010, 05:00 PM
I can only think of 2 or 3 people that said 'thank you' or generally seemed to appreciate the gifts I knitted them last year, so I will probably only knit for them. They also like to point out knitted items they would wear, so I'll just store those ideas in my head for when I'm ready to think about them again ;o)

I'm hoping to do 10 shawls in 2010 so that also opens up a bunch of gifts for people since I'll only wear one, the daybreak.

Dimpledapple
02-08-2010, 03:14 AM
I admire your discipline! I don't start my holiday knitting until about two weeks before Christmas. But then again, I have about two people on my list... How about felted clogs (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/felted-clogs-ac-33) and/or felted slippers (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/french-press-felted-slippers)? You could also do market bags, gloves/fingerless mitts, and of course there are always scarves!

mamapaulsel
02-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Thanks for all of the great ideas. I have one scarf finished and have started on the second one for the second SIL. My MIL really thought that the first one was pretty and that SIL#1 would like it. I'm thinking about a throw for MIL because she likes to take naps in the afternoon inbetween taking care of her aging parents. Her mother has alzheimer's and her father is diabetic and not very mobile. Her favorite color is maroon so I thought that a nice soft throw would be a nice thought for her. I think that I will try some fingerless gloves for the men.

This is one way for me to justify my need to knit~LOL! It's cheaper than therapy :roflhard:

mamapaulsel
02-16-2010, 08:55 PM
Half done with scarf #2~pics to come soon!

Belphoebe
02-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Socks always make a good gift. My family love handknitted socks.

Jackie M.
02-16-2010, 11:22 PM
I have already knitted two shawls and one scarf for next Christmas. Have many more ideas to go. I want to make hotpads with the letter of the last name of the families I'm making them for...the alphabet pattern. On one side will be the letter and on the other side I'm going to find something the family likes. For example, one family has a beautiful flower garden, so it will have a flower on one side. One family raises horses, so I found a horse head pattern...etc.

Jan in CA
02-16-2010, 11:38 PM
Good for you, Brenda! You'll be so much more relaxed when the holidays come! :think:

mamapaulsel
02-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Oh Jackie, that's a wonderful idea. I've thought about felted oven mits for some of the chef's in the family. One year I did dish cloths with the state of TX shape in the middle, my SIL loved them. I wish that I could knit shawls for family members but I don't think that they feel old enough for them :teehee:

Jackie M.
02-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Dishcloths with the state on them is also a very good personal gift. I have daughters in their 20's and they both have asked for a shawl especially after I told them how nice they are to wrap up in during winter months while watching t.v., or just to run outside to the mailbox. I love trying to personalize gifts in some way. Bookmarks are a great idea too.

mamapaulsel
02-19-2010, 01:02 AM
Bookmarks are a great idea, thanks!

I've picked out the throw that I want to knit for MIL. Now I just need to get the 29" cirs in size 17~YIKES~and the yarn. I want to knit that one up before the weather gets too hot here in Houston :teehee:

mamapaulsel
02-21-2010, 12:47 AM
Here's one of the scarves I've been knitting for my SIL's.

mamapaulsel
02-21-2010, 12:55 AM
This is the drop stitch scarf.

mamapaulsel
02-21-2010, 12:56 AM
Here is the yarn over scarf for the other SIL.

mamapaulsel
02-21-2010, 12:58 AM
More pics of the yarn over scarf.

mamapaulsel
02-21-2010, 01:00 AM
Thank you to my DD Rachel for being my model tonight.

The next C-mas present will be on the needles tomorrow. I'm going to knit a throw for MIL. Size 17 needles~YIKES!:teehee:

Jan in CA
02-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Those big needles are like knitting with bats! :lol: What kind of yarn are you using?

The scarves are beautiful and so is your daughter!

mamapaulsel
02-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Thanks, Jan. Those size 17 needles take some getting used to but it will be a fast throw to knit up. I'm using I Love This Yarn, using 2 stands at one time. I choose a deep burgandy which is my MIL's favorite color. I hope that she will like it. The pattern is from Leisure Arts Big Book of Quick Knit Afgans #16 called Exquisite.

Jan in CA
02-22-2010, 01:36 AM
Ohhhh that's a pretty one!!:inlove:

mamapaulsel
02-23-2010, 03:56 PM
I've been frustrated with the size 17 needles. I've frogged it 4 times now so I think that today I'll get smaller needles and just cast on more at the beginning. Maybe then I won't have such problems with it. Size 17 it like knitting with and extra fist in your hand, it's horrible. Also, I probably shouldn't watch Harry Potter and try to knit at the same time. :teehee:

WandaT
02-23-2010, 09:50 PM
Beautiful scarves! Love those patterns. I've learned I don't necessarily enjoy working with big needles either. Good luck!!

mamapaulsel
02-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Well, I changed needle size down to a 15 in wood. It is working so much better. The yarn doesn't slip at much at it did with the metal ones. I can also manage the smaller size better. The tension looks much prettier with the smaller needles. Now maybe I can make some progress on it.

Jan in CA
02-24-2010, 01:24 PM
See..they're like bats! :lol: Of course 15's are still huge. ;)

Raven Fyre
02-25-2010, 10:25 PM
I'm doing dish cloths, fingerless gloves and scarves and a couple of soap sacks I'll post links to everything above, I like easy quick projects.

http://knitting.about.com/od/knittingpatterns/p/drop_soap_sack.htm
that soap sack pattern is a favorite among myself and husband and son.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=10620.0
My Mother in law loved these so does my husband.
http://sageyarn.blogspot.com/2008/10/jump-start-for-hollydaze.html
I love knitting these I've done two scarves and they knit up nicely but I used acrilyic and 15us needle and it came out quiet pretty pictures to come once I upload my camera.
http://www.groovy-mom.com/crafty/patterns/dishcloth.shtml
And of course these are the best dish cloths ever I decided to add a hook to hang them and knitted them in white cotton.

Thats what I'm working for x-mas most dish cloths and scarves a few more soap sacks for very close family and maybe some of the fingerless gloves and I"m calling it done right now I'm working on a hat just for myself.

AngelaR
02-26-2010, 11:56 AM
I'm busy making the list as I've got two months of intense birthday time starting next week. In May I will have my list done and begin the work. Why do I have so many family members? I blame my parents. :-P

mamapaulsel
02-28-2010, 07:57 PM
Thanks for all of the great ideas, ladies!

Believe it or not, I've had to frog that throw a total of 7 times :gah: But I will not give up :knitting: I've finally made it to row 18 without any mistakes, so I hope that I'm on the right track. The size 15 needles in wood are making a huge difference. I have to set a goal to have it finished so that I can move onto the rest of my knitting.

Keep those wonderful ideas coming, I love the fact that y'all are so willing to share with me.

mamapaulsel
03-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Chritsmas present #3 is finished:woot: Here are a couple of pics of the cable knit hat.

sissyv
03-20-2010, 11:12 PM
I'm already doing Christmas knitting but I'm doing blankets only - just for kids. ( a new niece or nephew due in Sept and a niece 2 yrs old) I'm just rotating my projects 172 rows is a lot to knit!

mamapaulsel
06-24-2010, 06:51 PM
Christmas Knitting Update: I only have 30 more inches to go on the throw for my MIL :woot: I've decided to do oven mits for the other two BIL's and maybe a stocking for the nephew. For my FIL I'm going to knit a pair of socks. I guess that I'd better get in gear since time is ticking away and there are only 6 months left ~ YIKES! :teehee: What is everyone else knitting for Christmas?

mamapaulsel
06-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Oh, I almost forgot that DH wants me to knit a blaze orange hat for his grandpa. Blaze orange is not my color but hey, it's for safety when they go deer hunting. I can live with a quick knit like that :teehee:

corey412
06-26-2010, 12:25 AM
Well I haven't started on them yet but I'm going to make my parents a throw blanket and my sister a doll of herself. I might make some more candy cane santas like a made last year, or something of the sort. Maybe a Candy Cane Rudolf.

mamapaulsel
06-28-2010, 01:41 PM
Do you have a pattern that you could share for the candy cane santa/rudolf? The doll of your sister sounds very interesting, I can't wait to see pictures once you finish. Thanks for sharing.

corey412
06-29-2010, 04:14 PM
I had a pattern, but I really don't think it makes much sense, so here is a new one. Here is a picture of one of them from last year, we mainly used them as an ornament and they knit up super quick.
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/1104/1001936ik.jpg

CO 7 stitches with red yarn.
1) Knit an I-cord for about an inch(ish).
2) (RS) Switch to white yarn and knit across.
3) (WS) Knit across, increasing one on each side. (9 sts)
4) (RS) Purl across.
5) (WS) Knit across, increasing one on each side. (11 sts)
6) (RS) Purl 4, then switch to tan yarn. Knit 3, then switch back to white. Purl 4.
7) (WS) Knit 2, then switch to tan yarn. Purl 7, then switch back to white. Knit 2.
8) (RS) Switch back to tan yarn and knit all the way across.
9) (WS) Purl 4, Knit 3, Purl 4.
10) (RS) Knit 2 in tan, then switch to black and knit 2. Switch back to tan and knit 3. Switch to black and knit 2. Switch to tan and knit 2. (That would be tan, tan, black, black, tan, tan, tan, black, black, tan, tan.)
11) (WS) Purl across in tan.
12) (RS) Switch to white and purl across.
13) (WS) Knit across.
14) (RS) Purl across.
15) (WS) Switch to red and purl across.
16) (RS) Knit across, decreasing once on each end. (9 sts)
17) (WS) Purl.
18) Repeat steps 16-17 until there are 3 stitches remaining.
19) (RS) Switch to white. Knit 1, then create a bobble, about 5 sts wide. Knit 1.
Cast off.

This might not be totally accurate because it was last year, so feel free to edit the pattern however you like. I attached a gift tag that I printed out on cardstock, as you can see on the picture.

mamapaulsel
07-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks, Corey. You just gave me the perfect pattern to knit up for my piano students this year. They are so cute I can't wait to start knitting them. Thanks again:hug:

mamapaulsel
07-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Just found out that my oldest nephew is engaged and getting married this fall. I think that the throw that I've been knitting for my MIL this c-mas will be his wedding gift. Now I need to find something else to knit for my MIL. I've only got about 20" to go on the throw and it will be finished. I'm debating on if I should knit around the outside or not? Any opinions?

mspwrz
07-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Just found out that my oldest nephew is engaged and getting married this fall. I think that the throw that I've been knitting for my MIL this c-mas will be his wedding gift. Now I need to find something else to knit for my MIL. I've only got about 20" to go on the throw and it will be finished. I'm debating on if I should knit around the outside or not? Any opinions?

I think you should do whatever your heart tells you is right for the piece. On the other hand, if it doesn't need it don't. You are making a lot of itemns for Christmas. Don't make things too hard on yourself and get burnout! I wish I had the time to knit all my presents but alas that will have to wait a few more years until retirement!

corey412
07-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Thanks, Corey. You just gave me the perfect pattern to knit up for my piano students this year. They are so cute I can't wait to start knitting them. Thanks again:hug:
No problem! Let me know if they're unclear :)

mamapaulsel
08-19-2010, 12:07 AM
I now have my 2 DD's helping me knit for c-mas :woot: I am soooo excited that they have picked up some needles and want to share my passion. They are working on hats for the men in the family. It is good practice for them.

Jan in CA
08-19-2010, 11:03 AM
That's awesome, Brenda! :thumbsup:

NorthernIrelandKnitter
08-26-2010, 06:14 AM
I now have my 2 DD's helping me knit for c-mas :woot: I am soooo excited that they have picked up some needles and want to share my passion. They are working on hats for the men in the family. It is good practice for them.
Brenda, your post reminds me that my mother had my sisters and me knitting small Christmas gifts when we were kids. I can remember knitting a kettle holder for my grandmother. Tea cosies are another idea.

On the needles, gift-wise, atm I have a mug warmer/wrist cuff, a wash cloth, a coaster and a phone cover, but not sure if they'll all be for Christmas. I am limiting my list to sisters and sisters-in-law - five in all.

Gillian

swatterson
08-29-2010, 03:44 PM
;) (http://www.examiner.com/knitting-in-providence/long-cowl-knitting-new-scarf-pattern) is really simple, slip stitch, and its great for daughters' Christmas presents.

swatterson
08-29-2010, 03:49 PM
great pattern, will have to make them again, they do make wonderful Christmas presents, thank you

Daylilydayzed
08-29-2010, 06:59 PM
I will start my daughter-in-law's shawl in a few days. I just have to decide what pattern I want to surprise her with.