PDA

View Full Version : A question of propriety?

trvvn5
02-09-2010, 09:20 PM
So I have two questions to post here today. But first, some exposition. I am a Nuclear Medicine Technologist and I am preparing to go to Virginia on Friday to interview for a job. It is a hospital setting. The person I will be interviewing with is the head of the Nuclear Medicine Department at the hospital. It is a woman. She and I have had a decent amount of talk leading up to this interview and she seems like a very nice person. The hospital is in a metropolitan area, however, hospitals tend to be rather conservative. The questions:

1) Is it professionally acceptable to knit in the waiting room while I wait for the interview to begin, provided I immediately stop when I am called in for my interview?

2) Is it professionally acceptable to knit a simple gift, such as a cowl, to give to an interviewer?

PS. Yes I understand that this shows a ridiculous amount of addiction tendencies as I am actually considering taking my knitting to a job interview.

Debbie
02-09-2010, 10:12 PM
I would say no knitting and no gift. Even if you put it away "quickly" there is still the fumbling, folding, putting it away instead of immediate eye contact and hand shake. Maybe send the gift as a thank you for your time ... after the interview.

Ingrid
02-09-2010, 10:14 PM
I think I'd bring the knitting if you anticipate a long wait, but I wouldn't bring a gift. One is your personal nerve-calming, waiting-time passion, but the gift would be improper for an interview.

Maybe after you get the job, you could offer a thank you.

If she's a knitter, you know you'd be in. . . Good Luck!

Lynnkay
02-09-2010, 10:15 PM
I agree with Debbie regarding no knitting as you wait for the interview and no gift. The motive could be misinterpreted, even 'after' the interview as a follow up thank you. Just a nice note of thanks is enough for now. If you are hired, there will be plenty of time later on to give a knitted gift to her, if you are so inclined.

vaknitter
02-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Hey where in VA will you be? Maybe we can recommend a LYS for you to visit - or an alpaca farm for some fiber straight off the animal !!
Okay - I may be out voted here, but personally I would not knit while waiting for an interview. It would take me a minute to pack my knitting away and I would be uncomfortable carrying my knitting bag around with me.
As for a knitted gift...as a female I will say this would make me a little uncomfortable in a professional situation. Professionally, I have never given a gift while interviewing nor have I accepted any. If you were interviewing with a male what would you knit for them?

Good Luck with the interview

trvvn5
02-09-2010, 11:08 PM
If I get the job, I'll be in Arlington. Living in Bethesda, MD though, just working in Arlington.

Ok. So I was feeling a little overzealous about my knitting then. I'll make sure to keep myself completely professional. I agree, after I get the job and things go well, then I'll inflict my hobbies on my co workers, but for the interview I should come across as professional and pleasant as possible and not creepy overzealous, knitting stalker guy...

Mirl56
02-10-2010, 08:47 AM
I work in HR - definitely no gift. As to knitting while waiting, I'd probably bring it in case of a long wait but only get it out if that happens.

Good Luck!
You won't be too terribly far from me - Baltimore City & Baltimore County, MD are just up the road a piece.

AngelaR
02-10-2010, 10:32 AM
I can honestly say, I don't think the knitting, in and of itself, would be a problem, but the gift is a definite "no-no" as it would have the appearance of trying to "curry favor". After the interview, if possible, you can send a note to the interviewer, thanking them for the opportunity, but no to a gift.

I'd take the knitting, just in case you have to wait. The medical world is a lot of waiting and you show that you are willing to do something productive in downtime instead of sitting around twiddling your thumbs.

Jannette
02-10-2010, 11:37 AM
I agree with the others, no knitting and no gift.

Mike
02-10-2010, 11:42 AM
The knitting is iffy. It could make you stand out. It could also make you stand out in the wrong way. It all depends on the person doing the looking. Are you feeling lucky?

No knitting gift. Cash, and lots of it works much better.

meowmeowmeow
02-10-2010, 12:20 PM
I would say of course on knitting, no on the gift.

The gift could be seen as a sort of bribe which would be rude, but the knitting is you just passing the time.

I usually bring a book, knitting or some random as hell thing like a quill and sketch pad to pass the time.I get asked about it which makes me memorable and asked for a second/third interview. I also don't take my lip stud out for the same reason but ask during the interview if it's fine to wear to work.Its good for them catch a glimpse of your personality outside of work so they know you're not constantly "on".

Sunshine's Mom
02-10-2010, 12:31 PM
I have to say no to both. Reading a book, magazine or a newspaper is okay to do while you wait because that can be dropped in an instant. But knitting is more complex than that and you'll be making the interviewer wait while you pack it up. I think Mike is right, that it may make you stand out in the wrong way.

And definitely no gift, just a nice thank you note. Especially considering that if you aren't knitting in the waiting room and they don't see that, if you send a knitted hat or neckwarmer that will seem really strange.

Crycket
02-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Yeah...I have to join the no to both crowd.

Jan in CA
02-10-2010, 01:35 PM
I think no to both in this situation. Better safe than sorry. ;) Good luck!!

SBG
02-10-2010, 02:05 PM
I agree, no knitting and no gift. BUT, definitely do send a personal thank-you note right after the interview.

Abby123
02-10-2010, 03:39 PM
No knitting, no gift, yes on a follow up thank you note for the interview. I think the snail mail thank you vs the email version is better.

I'm also in health care. As a nurse manage, I would have been put off by the knitting. Reading a professional journal while waiting makes a better first impression. Just my experience.

Good luck with the job.

OffJumpsJack
02-10-2010, 04:47 PM
Long travel with recent, heavy snows means you will likely leave early but may not see a much traffic delay as you might expect.

Bring the knitting for the chance you may arrive very early. You may choose to knit in your car before you go in or if your interview is delayed if her schedule is disrupted because of weather.

No gifts but a thank you note is a great idea.

Good luck. Crossed Fingers

vaknitter
02-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Sorry - don't know anything about Arlington...I am a little further south. The Inner Harbor of Baltimore is awesome once the weather gets warmer and of course there's always Camden Yards. I loved living outside Baltimore !

Knitting_Guy
02-13-2010, 01:59 AM
No and No. This is a situation where professionalism is the key word.

Ronda
02-13-2010, 10:17 AM
after I get the job and things go well, then I'll inflict my hobbies on my co workers, but for the interview I should come across as professional and pleasant as possible and not creepy overzealous, knitting stalker guy... :roflhard:

GinnyG
02-13-2010, 11:53 AM
As a medical professional I agree with the no knitting, no gift.

lelvsdgs
02-13-2010, 10:11 PM
I will say this. No knitting ( :cry: ) no gift, but definitely a thank you note. Thank you notes to people who interview and are considering hiring you make a big impression. I've heard it from lots of employers so send a thank you note!

Mike
02-14-2010, 02:47 AM
So if I ever apply for another job and send a thank you note (odds are if they accept the application in my profession I'm getting an interview), after getting the job do I tell them don't count on another thank you note or let them find that out on their own?

ArtLady1981
02-17-2010, 12:39 AM
I would not bring knitting to an interview. From the moment you walk in that door you are "center stage". Someone could be watching the waiting room using a cam. Observing a potential employee knitting in the waiting room prior to a very important interview could "color" the way they "see you". They might think your mind is not 'in the game'. I wouldn't do anything to tip the scale. Read a book that's in line with your profession.

I would not 'gift' anything to the interviewer. They would probably be very offended. There might possibly be a rule that accepting gifts is viewed as accepting bribes.

Save the knitting for your lunch breaks AFTER you land the position!

Save the gifts for the 2010 Christmas Party!

trvvn5
02-17-2010, 10:17 AM
Thanks everyone for the input. I did not take my knitting with me. And I did not give a gift. Although, after as well as the interview went and getting to know the lady that I was interviewing with I don't think she would have minded.

But, it was better to be professional and cautious.

So now I just wait. There are 3 other candidates and they are all interviewing this week. So I should know something by next week.

melmac51
02-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Best of luck to you Trvvn!! Hope you land that job! :thumbsup:

trvvn5
02-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Best of luck to you Trvvn!! Hope you land that job! :thumbsup:

Thank you. I hope all goes well and I get the job. It's crazy to me that if this job goes through I have the potential to be making 3x what I am making now.

Also, on a side note. I did send a thank you email to the supervisor of the Nuclear Medicine department and that went over very well. I talked to my current boss and she said that she loves it when people send thank you notes. She said she actually hired one girl because she sent her a thank you card and it seemed genuine.

trvvn5
03-02-2010, 12:11 PM
Just wanted to give everyone an update. I got the job. They called me yesterday to let me know that I am the only candidate that they are moving forward with. I still have to undergo a personality test, a drug screen, and an interview with some of their staff, all of which should go well. But assuming they all go well, the job is mine.

It's great to think that this next year, I am going to be making a little more than triple what I made last year.

Now I'll start knitting little things for my coworkers.

N0obKnitter
03-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Awesome, dude.

Knitting_Guy
03-02-2010, 08:20 PM
Congratulations.

Sunshine's Mom
03-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Congratulations! What good news!! :cheering:

Abby123
03-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Good news Trvvn. :woohoo:

Michaele
03-03-2010, 11:29 AM
I knit at my job when my boss isn't here. But I would suggest bringing a book about knitting projects and reading that instead of knitting. It can be a bother to be interrupted in the middle of a row.

trvvn5
03-03-2010, 11:52 AM
I knit at my job when my boss isn't here. But I would suggest bringing a book about knitting projects and reading that instead of knitting. It can be a bother to be interrupted in the middle of a row.

I tend to only knit on my lunch break. So I'll only be doing it while I'm sitting after eating. There are studies that I'll be doing that last an hour and a half, so I could potentially knit while waiting for a patient to be done. But I generally don't, it just doesn't seem professional to do that in front of a patient.

melmac51
03-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Congrats on the job Trvvn!!! When do you start? :woot: :woohoo:

knittingincarolina
03-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Congratulations Trvvn :yay:

trvvn5
03-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Congrats on the job Trvvn!!! When do you start? :woot: :woohoo:

I'm hoping April 1. They haven't given me a defiante start date.

KathleenG
03-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Congratulations, and best wishes for a successful career! And yes, you're right: it probably wouldn't be very appropriate to knit in front of a patient; lunch hour would be best. Again, congratulations!

lovemyknitting
03-09-2010, 07:28 PM
I should come across as professional and pleasant as possible and not creepy overzealous, knitting stalker guy...
OK I just find that line hysterically funny! :roflhard:
Congrats on the job!
I also knit while I am at work, of course my work is very casual, (I work in a small mom & pop store) and the customers are always curious as to what I am knitting. It seems "appropriate" to be knitting in a small country store and my boss doesn't mind at all as long as all work is finished! She actually has asked me to make her a few things so she encourages me to knit at work!

Belphoebe
03-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Congratulations! You will love the Arlington area!