PDA

View Full Version : Newbie wanting to learn knit for DD in dipes

mikayla0813
02-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Hi everyone! I'm new here and I have a DD in diapers...I would love to learn how to knit so I can make her longies, shorties, skirties, etc. Anyone have any words of wisdom on getting started? I'm guessing I have to start small, maybe socks, booties, scarves? I really have no idea what I'm getting myself into or how to reach my goal so any help would be soo appreciated! :muah:

Abby123
02-13-2010, 12:48 PM
Well, the good thing is all baby knits are small, quick projects.

Nobody in my family has any babies right now. But I'd do a search for baby knits. There are alot of free patterns out there. Or go to the library & see if they have anything baby knit books. Look for simple patterns with just knits or purls as a starter.

AngelaR
02-13-2010, 06:07 PM
There are tons of free patterns for baby items. Knitting Pattern Central (http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/index.php) has a ton of free patterns.

StephC42
02-13-2010, 09:10 PM
Since you are just starting out you might want to try a simple scarf pattern first. That way you can get use to the different stitches (keeping them even with yarn tension) terminology, and basic techniques before tackling something a little more involved like a longies pattern.

My first knitting project was a scarf, and it was actually really great practice for things to come.

Best of luck to you!

Jan in CA
02-14-2010, 12:22 AM
Small projects don't necessarily mean easy. The best thing to do is just start knitting, call it a scarf if you want, and just practice to learn the stitches and develop an even tension. There is a tutorial for "demo of a small project" in the tips section of the videos, plus there are other videos for various techniques.

mikayla0813
02-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks, ladies! I went out and bought some needles and some cheap yarn to start. I began my first dishcloth yesterday! We'll see how it goes! Thanks again

dustinac
02-14-2010, 12:11 PM
Welcome to KH! Can't wait to see your first project :yay: