PDA

View Full Version : To Block or not to block?

Abby123
02-18-2010, 12:30 AM
Unless the knitting distorts the fabric, I never block. At that point in the game, I'm anxious to get on to the seaming, so I can wear & enjoy my project. But I know other knitters do prefer to block. And I'm wondering how it improves the garment.

suzeeq
02-18-2010, 12:35 AM
I don't generally block, but I knit mostly in acrylic. The only thing I blocked beyond a wash and dry flat was an entrelac scarf in wool. That flattened out the puffy blocks nicely. I mostly don't care for a flattened or stretched out knitting; I just use larger needles for knitting lace instead.

newamy
02-18-2010, 12:38 AM
I always block and it always improves the look. Somethings are tricky. With acrylics you don't block, but washing straightens things out and makes the stitches look better. And letting them lay flat a bit damp to dry the rest of the way makes things better looking.

Lace never looks right until it is blocked. Some fibers grow so if my swatch grew I take that into consideration while knitting. Somethings shrink, like cottons, so if my swatch shrunk I take that into consideration.

Cotton or linen actually responds well to an iron after washing.

And all wool/animal fibers look way better after blocking.

Okay, I don't block socks, wearing them seems to take care of it, but I would if I was giving them away so they would look nice.

Jan in CA
02-18-2010, 02:15 AM
You don't have the choice rarely, but that's what I'd say. I knit mostly with acrylic or blends so I haven't done a whole lot of blocking.

ArtLady1981
02-18-2010, 04:01 AM
I block everything except huge knitted blankets and hats. They remain AS IS! :teehee:

fluffybunny
02-18-2010, 08:30 AM
I work almost exclusively in natural fibers, and my work would be a mess if I didn't block. I block everything from the gauge swatch to the final pieces, including any bands, etc. Makes a world of difference, taking my work from "home made" looking to professional looking. Just my 2 worth

dustinac
02-18-2010, 08:58 AM
I usually always block too. The real difference is in color work and lace knitting. Those items can look (to me) not so good when you finish them, until they have had a nice block...the difference is amazing :thumbsup:

Crycket
02-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Most ppl would not block socks, but I do...I gives the socks life IMO, and they don't come out of the dryer looking like some weird contorted sock monster...*smiles*

I am with the other...not acrylic, but anything with a natural fibre should be blocked!

cajunlady208
02-18-2010, 12:08 PM
I'm new to knitting, so please excuse my ignorance!!

How does one block a piece when finished?

So far I've only mastered scarves and hats in the round. Is there a good way to block a scarf? What about a beanie hat?

I suppose somewhere there may be a learning video showing us how??

Thanks in advance for any follow-up!:)

Mike
02-18-2010, 12:22 PM
No answer for me. I block when it needs blocked.
That may be to size, it may be distorted, it may be to uncurl pieces before stitching together (acrylic or not), it may be to soften Super Saver.
Most everything I make is acrylic.

ArtLady1981
02-18-2010, 01:41 PM
I work almost exclusively in natural fibers, and my work would be a mess if I didn't block. I block everything from the gauge swatch to the final pieces, including any bands, etc. Makes a world of difference, taking my work from "home made" looking to professional looking. Just my 2 worth

Amen, fluffybunny! :thumbsup: Add my 2 cents, too!

Abby123
02-18-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm new to knitting, so please excuse my ignorance!!

How does one block a piece when finished?

So far I've only mastered scarves and hats in the round. Is there a good way to block a scarf? What about a beanie hat?

I suppose somewhere there may be a learning video showing us how??

Thanks in advance for any follow-up!:)

Blocking is a way to "set" the stitches. I block before seaming. You hand wash. Roll in a towel, or use a salad spinner, or toss in the spin cycle of the washer to take out the extra water. Then lay flat. I use an ironing board if the pieces will fit. And stack one sleeve atop the other, so the end up the same size. Next, you pin the pieces into the shape you want them to be. You can coax damp yarn easier than dry yarn. Let dry flat. Then go back & steam with an iron. The iron doesn't actually touch the knitting. Just the steam. That "sets" the stitches.
Some people use a board to lay their pieces on. But I don't own one. And there are probably other ways to steam. This is how I was taught.

Abby123
02-18-2010, 04:44 PM
I knit with mostly natural fibers, wool in particular. I'm happy with the finished look of my work. But based on the experience of other wool knitters, I might be even happier if I block.

ArtLady1981
02-20-2010, 04:48 PM
Blocking is a way to "set" the stitches. I block before seaming.

Exactly!!! :thumbsup: