PDA

View Full Version : Consignment Shops

girlknits
02-26-2010, 10:32 AM
Theres a new yarn shop in my town, the owner is also having a consignment shop for knitting etc, she gets 20%. Just wondering if any body else sells at consignment shops. Thanks!!!

N0obKnitter
02-26-2010, 12:26 PM
I've only ever seen clothing consignment shops! I wish we had one like that. :D

Jan in CA
02-26-2010, 12:59 PM
I've never even heard of something like that. Interesting!

AngelaR
02-26-2010, 01:34 PM
We have a couple around here at any given time. They don't appear to last for long. I have been to one that is near my house (they also have a tea room) and I found the merchandise to be... cheesy and very... typical Texas Tacky.

treegardner
02-26-2010, 04:22 PM
My parents used to own a consignment shop with a variety of crafts. Like a PP said, it didn't last long. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of interest.

lissaplus2
02-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Theres a new yarn shop in my town, the owner is also having a consignment shop for knitting etc, she gets 20%. Just wondering if any body else sells at consignment shops. Thanks!!!

I do that with the LYS here.

vaknitter
02-28-2010, 12:48 AM
Glad you have a new LYS. I've never seen a consignment shop in a LYS...is it only for handcraft items? Seems to me it would be hard to sell knitted items to knitters....I know when I go to craft shows I always figure I can go home and make the same thing to my specifications. Plus, the sale of knitted items is a sticky business sorting out copyrights etc.

ArtLady1981
02-28-2010, 01:21 AM
...I found the merchandise to be... cheesy and very... typical Texas Tacky.

Angela, you're a hoot! :roflhard: Great sense of humor!

lissaplus2
02-28-2010, 06:59 AM
Seems to me it would be hard to sell knitted items to knitters....

In my case, not only knitters come in the store. And I sell to knitters too. She puts stuff in the window and people come in to buy it and see other things, and stay and shop. So It works out pretty good.

woolgatheringlexingtion
02-28-2010, 08:02 AM
I am an owner of a LYS, and I do sell on consignment as well. I do believe it is a reason I am making it so far, NOT everyone that comes to town knits, but they like hand made items. They come in to look, and remember to tell their knitting friends. I only carry quality high end items, nothing cheesy.

The finnished itmes are often displayed next to the yarns from which they came ;), which help sell the yarns to the knitters.

I suppose i would consider my store a Fiber Arts supply and studio store.