PDA

View Full Version : Left Handed knitters

Jackie M.
02-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Are there any left handed knitters out there? Do you cast on English or Continental and is the working needle in your right hand? I have a left handed granddaughter and when she is ready to learn, I will have to try to teach her left handed...or right handed? :??

Jan in CA
02-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Knitting is a two handed craft. I'd just teach her right handed. There's less trying to figure out patterns, decrease and increases, etc. Whether you knit continental or english is personal preference and is not important. Lots of right hand knitters knit continental and vise versa.

bsh8rc
02-27-2010, 07:14 PM
I am right handed and I attempted to try to teach my left handed roommate how to knit in college. It didn't go over so great...lol. Good luck though!

CountryNaturals
02-27-2010, 07:57 PM
I'm a leftie. I knit continental because my mother did -- no other reason. My left hand does all the work. My right hand just holds a needle.
When you're ready to teach your granddaughter, you can have her watch you in a mirror. That way you can relax and do it your way, but she'll see it lefthanded.

insp30305
02-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Have fielded this question a lot over the years. Am left handed and have taught numerous right handed people to knit. My right hand maneuvers the thread, left holds the needle. It's how I was taught and my pupils have all done well learning from me. Good luck. :knitting:

Jackie M.
02-27-2010, 09:25 PM
I'm a leftie. I knit continental because my mother did -- no other reason. My left hand does all the work. My right hand just holds a needle.
When you're ready to teach your granddaughter, you can have her watch you in a mirror. That way you can relax and do it your way, but she'll see it lefthanded.

A mirror...great idea! Thank you..:)

N0obKnitter
02-27-2010, 09:39 PM
I too knit Continental, partly because my mother knits that way and partly because my brain just doesn't "get" English style. I'm right handed and so is she...

Jackie M.
02-27-2010, 09:41 PM
You're still knitting right to left when knitting left handed? If I use the mirror method, it would look like I was knitting left to right.

Jan in CA
02-27-2010, 11:46 PM
The mirror would actually help for knitting left handed where you stick the left needle into the stitches on the right needle. Seriously though I'd stick teaching her right handed. There won't be any confusion with patterns and you can still help her. ;)

No flaming anyone.. this is just my opinion. :shifty:

CountryNaturals
02-28-2010, 10:31 AM
You're still knitting right to left when knitting left handed? If I use the mirror method, it would look like I was knitting left to right.
Nope. This is for teaching her lefthanded, which means left to right. You won't need the mirror if you're gonna teach her righthanded.
How old is she? If she's an "old" kid, like 8 or 9, you could try her both ways and let her choose. If she's only 5 or 6, you'll have to make the decision, but either way, the gift of knitting is wonderful, left or right.
(I was only 5 and my mother was "progressive" so there was never a question of making me switch hands.)

Abby123
03-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Whether someone is right handed or left handed. I'd still teach them to knit with the work flowing from right to left (right handed.) Just because pattern directions are written that way.

Now that I'm getting better with my tension on left handed knitting. I do like knitting across with my right & back with my left. It keeps the public side facing me. And I think it will be a plus when working multicolor & charted patterns. Since the right side is always facing toward me.

laikabear
03-01-2010, 08:53 PM
I'm left handed and knit Continental in the conventional way (stitches going from left needle to right). I think lefties vary in how "left-handed" they are. There are a lot of lefties that might say they can't do ANYTHING right handed, hence the people knitting "backwards."

I found learning to knit initially awkward (but who is to say that's due to my being a lefty versus just the general awkwardness anyone would feel). But I think that knitting "backwards", while it may initially be easier, might be more confusing in the long run. If you watch me versus a righty Continental knitter, you will see that while we are doing the same thing, my left hand moves a lot more while my right is more stationary in forming the stitches. It really is a 2-handed craft, and I think that MOST left-handed knitters would probably be fine doing it the traditional way. Continental might be easier to pick up initially, but I actually taught myself English, too.

Just my 2c. FWIW, I only know how to crochet a little bit (and I don't know how to follow a pattern), but I did learn that left-handed from a lefty woman when I was about 10 years old. If I decided to start crocheting from patterns, I'm not actually sure whether that would be a problem or not.

suzeeq
03-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Everyone finds learning to knit awkward. Doesn't matter how left or right handed you are, english, continental, combined or whatever style. You have to train your hands and fingers to do unusual movements.

insp30305
03-02-2010, 08:45 PM
True dat! :knitting:

DebMomOf3
03-03-2010, 09:07 AM
I'm the opposite - I knit left-handed (from right needle to left) but had to teach my daughter how to knit right-handed. It wasn't easy to do but I figured out how to, at least long enough to show her. I wish I'd thought of the mirror thing, that would've been easier!

melmac51
03-05-2010, 01:30 PM
I'm a lefty. A childhood friend (a righty) taught me how to knit when we were kids (around 10 years old). For years, I thought I was knitting left-handed, but found out to my surprise that I'd been knitting right-handed all those years, and that SHE'd been knitting left-handed. I crochet, and do most other things left-handed. Bottom line is, once you get going, it will be more comfortable whichever handed you do it. (And...it's supposed to be fun!!)

Phaedra
03-05-2010, 11:53 PM
I'm left handed; and knit English -- that's throwing, right? LOL
I learned how to knit years ago from library books, after I had purchased a sweater kit (it looked so good on the cover). So I don't convert patterns for my "handiness". Matter of fact, I can't use any item made for a lefty---scissors---ugh---paper slides right thru!

suzeeq
03-06-2010, 09:44 AM
The idea that left handed knitters need to convert patterns is only if they knit from stitches on R needle to an empty L needle which would be true left handed or mirror knitting. You knit conventionally so that's why you don't need to convert.