PDA

View Full Version : How do you say "Alpaca"?

Jackie M.
03-11-2010, 10:49 PM
I have always pronounced it al-PA-ca. But when discussing yarns with 2 other people they would say, al-PACK-a. How do you say it?

Abby123
03-11-2010, 10:53 PM
Aren't they both correct? One more Spanish than the other?

Jackie M.
03-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Maybe they are both correct, but I feel like I'm pronouncing it wrong when I say alPAca around two people saying it the other way.

Sunshine's Mom
03-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Al = as in Al Bundy
Pack
a = uh

Alpaca

MMario
03-12-2010, 11:36 AM
I've never heard al-pa-ca and cannot find that pronounciation on the web...

I have found multiple sites specifying all-pak-ah

knitcindy
03-12-2010, 11:50 AM
My parents neighbors are raising a whole herd of alpacas on their farm and here's how I heard their pronounciation:

al-PACK-uh. From some al-PACK-uh farmers!!!

knitcindy

etoilechaude
03-12-2010, 01:21 PM
I say it the same as you Jackie... something about saying al-pack-uh feels wrong. Although growing up in Michigan I've picked up about a billion speaking weirdnesses that people just love to harass me about ;o)

Jan in CA
03-12-2010, 02:22 PM
I pronounce it like this person on dictionary.com.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/alpaca?r=75

I have been going to knitting nights at my LYS for a couple years everyone there pronounces it the same way I do. I've never heard anyone say it any other way.

N0obKnitter
03-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Al-Pack-ah

Eh?

I was in Costco mulling over a bag of Quinoa, I remarked to my friend "geez this kwin-o-ah is expensive" when this rather large, hoity toity woman rudely said to me "it's pronounced "kwin-wah" or something like that.

I was struck speechless by her rudeness. Who gives a flap how someone pronounces something...especially a complete stranger? :O

I deliberately say Kwin-o-ah all the time now, don't care if it's wrong. :D

Jan in CA
03-12-2010, 03:09 PM
I say "KEEN-wah" like the person says on dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Quinoa?r=75). But it also shows an alternate pronunciation similar to what you say.

I wouldn't mispronounce it myself after that, but that was totally rude.

N0obKnitter
03-12-2010, 03:44 PM
I say "KEEN-wah" like the person says on dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Quinoa?r=75). But it also shows an alternate pronunciation similar to what you say.

I wouldn't mispronounce it myself after that, but that was totally rude.

I say it "wrong," just to spite her. My stubborness knows no bounds. :rofl:

cacunn
03-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Removed - Off Topic

Jackie M.
03-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Well Evan, we can't fight online dictionary and alPAKca farmers.

OffJumpsJack
03-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Gee:

How did Alpaca (al-PAK-ah) lead to Quinoa (KEEN-oh-ah)?

And what is Quinoa? It sounds like it would be related to ..
54286 :roflhard:

etoilechaude
03-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Well Evan, we can't fight online dictionary and alPAKca farmers.
Lol true true... I'll just add it to my list of words I don't say correctly... milk, bagel, cereal, pillow...

I can't tell you how long it took me to say Oregon the "correct" way (or at least how the people who live here say it).

Jan in CA
03-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Gee:

How did Alpaca (al-PAK-ah) lead to Quinoa (KEEN-oh-ah)?

And what is Quinoa? It sounds like it would be related to ..

It's a grain..like rice, bulgar, etc.

Our ability to go off topic knows no bounds either. :lol:

N0obKnitter
03-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Jan...tee hee.

Jackie M.
03-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Lol true true... I'll just add it to my list of words I don't say correctly... milk, bagel, cereal, pillow...

I can't tell you how long it took me to say Oregon the "correct" way (or at least how the people who live here say it).

And I still pronounce ColorAHdo the wrong way instead of ColorRADo the correct way. And Uranus.....

N0obKnitter
03-12-2010, 10:57 PM
And I still pronounce ColorAHdo the wrong way instead of ColorRADo the correct way. And Uranus.....

I have a h--- of a time pronouncing "Colorado" as I fala um pouco Portuguese. I keep wanting to say "Colohadu" hehehe.

Abby123
03-13-2010, 12:16 AM
It's a grain..like rice, bulgar, etc.

Our ability to go off topic knows no bounds either. :lol:

True. Very true. We need the lighthearted humor.

treegardner
03-13-2010, 02:08 AM
Al-PACK-uh

AngelaR
03-13-2010, 11:23 AM
I say al-pack-uh. I guess that's the way I was taught. My problem is, I speak a LOT of languages, but French and English are the ones I grew up speaking so the pronunciations in French are what I fall upon first, and English second.

Debbie
03-13-2010, 12:40 PM
I say oh my gosh this yarn is sooooo soft !

linknit41
03-15-2010, 07:54 PM
all this about pronunciations reminds me of a joke. A couple was driving in Florida, and kept seeing signs for "Kissimmee" and were wondering how it was pronounced. When they arrived in the town, they went into a fast food place and asked the woman behind the counter how she pronounced the name of the place. She very slowly and deliberately answered "Burger King." maybe this should go on the joke thread, but i couldn't find it. linknit41

N0obKnitter
03-15-2010, 08:02 PM
all this about pronunciations reminds me of a joke. A couple was driving in Florida, and kept seeing signs for "Kissimmee" and were wondering how it was pronounced. When they arrived in the town, they went into a fast food place and asked the woman behind the counter how she pronounced the name of the place. She very slowly and deliberately answered "Burger King." maybe this should go on the joke thread, but i couldn't find it. linknit41

:roflhard:

OffJumpsJack
03-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Ha! I know that one: Kissimmee (KIS-a-me) FL

I grew up in the land of Kassawago (creek), Allegheny (River), Pymatuning, Duquesne, Aliquippa, LeBoeuf, Seneca, Tionesta, Kinzua, Susquehannock, Moshannon, Tuscarora, Monongahela (River), and Yaoughiogheny (River). Those were all fun vocabulary word in grammar school. :doh:

Makes Illinois (IL-e-noiz) easy (though I've been told by the locals that it is pronounced (ILL-e-noy) with a silent 'ess.' :shrug:

Oh, and don't forget sylvania (pronounced: forest :?? wait? ;) )