PDA

View Full Version : OT: Pet Peeves

N0obKnitter
03-14-2010, 02:18 AM
What are your pet peeves?

Mine include: People scraping their teeth on their fork when they're eating.

People with appallingly poor manners.

And one of my biggest pet peeves is when someone tells me I am not tall. I'm female and 5'8.5". I'm above the average height of a woman in practically every country (barring some parts of Africa) on the planet, not to mention taller than the average male in a bunch of countries. I'm taller than my parents, the same height as my boyfriend, taller than my ex-husband. Taller than the majority of my friends including some of my male friends.

I'm confused as to how this cannot be considered tall. :roflhard:

AngelaR
03-14-2010, 09:07 AM
My pet peeve is people who use the word "irregardless" which is not a word at all.

People who write should/could/would OF instead of should/could/would HAVE

These are about the only things that can set my teeth on edge. Everything else is water off a duck's back.

Except for people who go through the self-checkout lanes in a store and have no idea whatsoever what they are doing.

SandsLVT
03-14-2010, 10:26 AM
Not using turn indicators. It's the law, people, NOT optional!

You're is short for you are. Your is possessive!

Not owning up to mistakes. Suck it up, admit you're wrong, and own it. Don't pass the buck.

DadnLex
03-14-2010, 11:42 AM
Not using turn indicators. It's the law, people, NOT optional!

While that is truely annoying what makes me want to rip my hair out is people who drive with their four way flashers on....... If it is raining don't put on your flashers and drive we all know it's raining. If you are that fearful for your life either don't drive or pull over and stop, then you should put your flashers on.

When driving and flashing it can be very difficult for trailing motorist's to determine whether you are stopped or moving, which of course can lead to an accident.

BTW Sands I made sure to use the correct form of your. :roflhard:

Tom

vaudiss
03-14-2010, 12:09 PM
I teach high school and though I am NOT a grammer nazi it annoys the c*** out of me when they mess up to/too/two, there/they're/their, and of course answering a test qeustion w/ IDK. I want it give them a zero right off the bat.

Jan in CA
03-14-2010, 02:21 PM
Grammar and misspelling bug me, too. Drives me nuts when someone says "I seen" instead of "I saw".

Forks on teeth is awful...just thinking about it gives me the chills. :zombie:

Another one is people who stand too close to you to talk... get out of my personal space already!!

Crycket
03-14-2010, 02:31 PM
I think people thinking they are above rules pisses me off the most.

That includes all of those little things, like turn signals, and not turning your cell phones off at the movies, or butting in lines...just anywhere that people either pay no mind to, or think they are above the rules. Gah that irks me. Like people who jump over roped off areas! Arggh!

On the note of grammer though...it doesn't bother me, but what did bother me was a friend online telling me that a teacher graded her sons paper quite highly even though the whole thing used leet speak and internet slang....*sigh* that is sooooo wrong!

N0obKnitter
03-14-2010, 02:35 PM
I have a unique name. I HATE it when people ask me questions about my name like "What country is that from, Hawaii?! Spain!?!" I think I've been asked just about every country on Earth. I decided I'm going to start answering "Vulcan."

I also loathe it when they say " I have a niece/cousin/friend ad nauseam with that name" I feel like saying "I know about 40 people with *your* name!" It's like they are trying to tell me my name isn't special/unique/different, like I ever said that it was to them.

I wish people would just STOP with the commentary about my name, I've heard it all for a gazillion times. Please. stop.

It's so bad I hate telling people I just met my name, I avoid it until there's no other choice. My estimation of someone's intelligence goes way up if they don't pronounce it wrong or make idiotic statements about it.

Lighting57
03-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Speaking of grammar: What really bothers me is the wrong use of the word I. Is grammar no longer taught as it use to be?

Example:

Mrs. Jones gave Sidney an apple.
Mrs. Jones gave me an apple.

Both of these are correct, but when combined most people (now a days) would say, "Mrs. Jones gave Sidney and I an apple", instead of the correct way, " Mrs. Jones gave Sidney and me an apple." Or, you could say, " Mrs. Jones gave us an apple".

N0obKnitter
03-14-2010, 03:12 PM
The "me" always sounds wrong to me. Also "in back of" is correct but sounds all kinds of wrong.

Daylilydayzed
03-14-2010, 03:50 PM
My pet peeve is when is so foggy in the AM that the cars disappear into the fog, the people who drive with out the lights turned on as requred by law. Sometimes the fog gets so thick that I can not even see my house from my crossing(I live less than 100 yds from my crossing) and I see many cars driving with out lights and as they disappear into the fog another car comes up behind them and cannot see them unless the previous car puts on brakes. It can be very dangerous.

bambi
03-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Grammar, grammar, grammar! I especially hate it when people put apostrophes where they don't belong.

Many people get on the interstate ramps and do not accelerate to highway speeds, a dangerous practice. I am usually behind one with a semi bearing down on us in the right lane and am really afraid I will be rear ended that way.

Also, people who go slow in left lanes of the interstates when the signs clearly say, "slower traffic use right lane." Another good way to cause a traffic accident.

N0obKnitter
03-14-2010, 05:07 PM
I saw a sign on a STORE today with an apostrophe infraction. "Name" Video's. ARgh. I hate apostrophe infractions, especially on actual signage.

Another thing that drives me crazy is people who don't move over when I'm running on sidewalks in my neighbourhood, or even give me space. Walking double etc, even when I yell "ON YOUR LEFT!"

addey411
03-14-2010, 05:34 PM
My worst pet peeves are when i scrape my nail against glass that is not smooth, or how lotion can be sooo oily in a gross way.

Sunshine's Mom
03-15-2010, 11:00 AM
I have to add my two bits to the grammar and spelling issues. I detest the whole texting word garbage. Why can't people spell properly? Grammar can be tricky and I'm willing to give a pass on that, but spelling is a "must have" skill, I think.

I also can't stand seeing people on the phone or, especially, texting while driving. And women who put their make-up on in the car. Touching up lipstick is one thing - you can do that without looking, but eyeliner and mascara? I get an overwhelming urge to ram into the back end of their car when I see the mascara going on. If you have to put your make-up on in the car, get up earlier so you can do it at home.

Lighting57
03-15-2010, 11:58 AM
One thing that really bothers me is the fact that some people become blind to all others around them when they get a shopping cart in their hands. They stop in the middle of the aisle without looking if they are blocking someone. They slow down to a snails pace, which is fine if you aren't holding up others.

They will not place them in the racks when finished and leave them to roll all over the parking lot.

I have noticed that people have become very careless or they just aren't concerned about safety of any kind when driving.

They park their car at any angle, but rarely do they park it straight into the parking space.

They don't care at all if they hit your car door when getting in or out, but God forbid if someone should hit their car.

They have no idea how to proceed at a four way stop, because of this they have trouble figuring who goes first at a two way stop. The rules are different.

If they are so rushed that they have to talk on the cellphone or text while driving, they should leave sooner or just stay home. The roads would be much safer for all others.

I could go on and on.

Crycket
03-15-2010, 01:08 PM
They have no idea how to proceed at a four way stop, because of this they have trouble figuring who goes first at a two way stop. The rules are different.

OMG that is so true! I have noticed one thing lately at one corner, and it drives me absolutely bonkers! Two people (one behind the other) will stop at the same time. The first person will go as they should when it is their turn, BUT so will the person behind, cause they figured they stopped at the same time....:hair:

kellyh57
03-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Speaking of grammar: What really bothers me is the wrong use of the word I. Is grammar no longer taught as it use to be?

Example:

Mrs. Jones gave Sidney an apple.
Mrs. Jones gave me an apple.

Both of these are correct, but when combined most people (now a days) would say, "Mrs. Jones gave Sidney and I an apple", instead of the correct way, " Mrs. Jones gave Sidney and me an apple." Or, you could say, " Mrs. Jones gave us an apple".

Actually, it's usually "Mrs. Jones gave Sidney and myself an apple."

Nobody wants to say "me" so they've changed it to "myself." It bugs the snot out of me! I'd rather hear "I" than "myself" used incorrectly!

kellyh57
03-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Okay, here's a few more to add to these:

Bike-riders on sidewalks. It's fine if you wish to use the sidewalk, but walkers have the right of way. If you must use the grass (or mud) to get around, it's NOT my fault. Don't give me dirty looks because I don't push my stroller in the mud when I have the right of way on the sidewalk! And please, walk/run facing traffic if you must refuse the sidewalk. When cars are coming, form a single file line (especially in parking lots!)

Apostrophes- I see it all the time in the Survivor discussion of Heroes vs. Villains. The "hero's" tribe drives me nuts! It is not one hero who owns a tribe. It is not the "hero is" in your statement. Take a second or two to see if the apostrophe is appropriate for one of these two reasons. If not, leave it out. Yes, sometimes you may have to add an "e" to make it plural, but the apostrophe is not an appropriate replacement for the "e."

As far as the two-way stop, isn't it the same rules as a four-way stop? We have one at my neighborhood entrance that gets me screaming almost every morning. I thought the rule was that whoever arrives first, gets to go first when the way is clear (unless the person turning right can turn while the left-turner or one going straight can't). I'm constantly getting halfway into the road and having to stop because someone from across the road decides to turn right without paying any attention to the fact that I've been there for five minutes waiting to turn left! It's the same thing on the one-lane bridge. People will decide to just keep on going instead of taking turns. I'll sit through 6-8 cars coming at me while I wait. I have a friend that thinks it's that way. It's fine if you're the one who gets to go, but if you're the one sitting and waiting for 10 minutes, it's NOT fair!

What about driving with your parking lights on? (Yeah, I ended that with a preposition! Got a problem???) I have to look twice to make sure it's not emergency lights or a stuck turn signal. If you think you need lights on, turn your headlights on!

Before someone gets all upset here, I'm not saying I hate it when people make mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes or doesn't know the rules. It's the lack of caring or refusal to pay attention to their grammar because it's on the computer. It's really hard for me to read stuff in all caps or without punctuation. If you expect people to take you seriously or read what you've written, take a few seconds to proofread and make sure it's understandable.

N0obKnitter
03-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Okay, here's a few more to add to these:

Bike-riders on sidewalks. It's fine if you wish to use the sidewalk, but walkers have the right of way. If you must use the grass (or mud) to get around, it's NOT my fault. Don't give me dirty looks because I don't push my stroller in the mud when I have the right of way on the sidewalk! And please, walk/run facing traffic if you must refuse the sidewalk. When cars are coming, form a single file line (especially in parking lots!)

Apostrophes- I see it all the time in the Survivor discussion of Heroes vs. Villains. The "hero's" tribe drives me nuts! It is not one hero who owns a tribe. It is not the "hero is" in your statement. Take a second or two to see if the apostrophe is appropriate for one of these two reasons. If not, leave it out. Yes, sometimes you may have to add an "e" to make it plural, but the apostrophe is not an appropriate replacement for the "e."

As far as the two-way stop, isn't it the same rules as a four-way stop? We have one at my neighborhood entrance that gets me screaming almost every morning. I thought the rule was that whoever arrives first, gets to go first when the way is clear (unless the person turning right can turn while the left-turner or one going straight can't). I'm constantly getting halfway into the road and having to stop because someone from across the road decides to turn right without paying any attention to the fact that I've been there for five minutes waiting to turn left! It's the same thing on the one-lane bridge. People will decide to just keep on going instead of taking turns. I'll sit through 6-8 cars coming at me while I wait. I have a friend that thinks it's that way. It's fine if you're the one who gets to go, but if you're the one sitting and waiting for 10 minutes, it's NOT fair!

What about driving with your parking lights on? (Yeah, I ended that with a preposition! Got a problem???) I have to look twice to make sure it's not emergency lights or a stuck turn signal. If you think you need lights on, turn your headlights on!

Before someone gets all upset here, I'm not saying I hate it when people make mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes or doesn't know the rules. It's the lack of caring or refusal to pay attention to their grammar because it's on the computer. It's really hard for me to read stuff in all caps or without punctuation. If you expect people to take you seriously or read what you've written, take a few seconds to proofread and make sure it's understandable.

The only cyclists that belong on sidewalks are little kids. I refuse to budge for cyclists that are on sidewalks...and I am an avid cyclist! :teehee:

vaudiss
03-16-2010, 12:29 PM
I live down the road from a town named LaFayette, as in the General. But around here they CANNOT pronouce the name. Most people say La-fete or (and this one is even better) La-Felt. Now where on earth did the extra L come from???? :doh: I don't get it. :noway:
Oh and the sentence "We go skrait down the skreet to the liberry" and yes that is correct. They don't say "we go straight down the street to the Library."
Half the time I won't let them go the the school library until they say it correctly!:??

Kimbatigger
03-16-2010, 01:44 PM
We have the skreet problem here in Virginia too.
And I think the whole apostrophe problem started with MS word putting them in where they don't belong, and users not knowing or caring enough to correct it.
As far as your town pronunciation, is it a dialect? I have noticed some of these from time to time in various places I have lived.
In Pennsylvania for instance Juneau is pronounced Ja-new.
And LaJose is Lay Josse.

borealowl
03-16-2010, 03:40 PM
I guess my pet peeves are ignorance and rudeness. People making personal attacks in a forum designed for discussion of issues. Also the present wildlife management policies of this state.

kellyh57
03-16-2010, 05:43 PM
Oooh, another one- acrost. There is no such word! Type it out and see the little red line under it! You either crossed the street or it's across the street.

(As to the sidewalk issues: I walk my son home from school and it's a pretty busy street so I don't mind the kids riding on the sidewalk or even adults with their kids, but just move to the side and go around the walkers. I think someone needs to spend a day on sidewalk safety for the school kids and parents!)

vaudiss
03-16-2010, 05:46 PM
We have the skreet problem here in Virginia too.
And I think the whole apostrophe problem started with MS word putting them in where they don't belong, and users not knowing or caring enough to correct it.
As far as your town pronunciation, is it a dialect? I have noticed some of these from time to time in various places I have lived.
In Pennsylvania for instance Juneau is pronounced Ja-new.
And LaJose is Lay Josse.

I don't know if its so much a dialect thing or a lazy/refusal to be educated thing. Education is NOT a focis in our little community and therefore MANY things are done very oddly at times..

igklico
03-16-2010, 06:20 PM
lol, I've got one. I currently live with a woman who feeds stray cats, and once they get to be too many for her taste, and begin to multiply at an exponential rate, she asks me to take the ones she doesn't like to get euthanized. She dug the hole, she can kill her way out of it herself.

Also, religious fundamentalists of any order, that will argue/throw dogma @ me, to no end, but not listen to my opinions on subjects of a related nature(when they are contrary to their own.) I am a staunch supporter of religious freedom, but many of the fundies I've spoken to/ grown up around don't understand their own hypocrisy/ignorance. Especially my Mother. :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

SandsLVT
03-16-2010, 06:31 PM
lol, I've got one. I currently live with a woman who feeds stray cats, and once they get to be too many for her taste, and begin to multiply at an exponential rate, she asks me to take the ones she doesn't like to get euthanized. She dug the hole, she can kill her way out of it herself.

:shock: :shock: :shock: Oh my!! I am appalled at this!

It would be so much better for the cats if she caught them, got them spayed/neutered, and then released them back out.

How sad.

RuthieinMaryland
03-16-2010, 07:16 PM
Hi! :waving:

I find that when I'm in a happy frame of mind, things that would normally irritate me to the max just don't! So many things I could list as pet peeves just lose all power to annoy me on really good days.

On the other hand..... in the midst of one of those days when you feel like not just pulling out your own hair but the hair of everyone whose path you cross, it annoys me if someone simply smiles and says "Good morning! Beautiful day, isn't it?". What the hell do they know??? Obviously they don't get the gravity of the planetary situation!!!!!!:gah:

So I've found that I fare much better if I just let folks be who they are and let that be OK with me. In the final analysis, my negative reactions do me more damage than anyone else (unless I'm so annoyed I slap them!) so maybe it's best to just chill out and look for the best in our fellows. :yay:

Happy knitting!

Ruthie :hug:

lovemyknitting
03-19-2010, 12:09 AM
I teach high school and of course answering a test qeustion w/ IDK. I want it give them a zero right off the bat.
Don't give me a zero but ROFLMAO :roflhard: right now! I scared the cat i laughed so loud and hard! I also hate it when my daughter answers a question OUT LOUD with IDK or I say something she thinks is "stupid" and she says (and I quote) "LOL MOM"
Another Pet peeve: socks on the floor (and pants on the ground :roflhard: ) I don't know why but it bugs the crap out of me when i walk into the living room and EVERYONE's socks are just sitting there on the floor and no one is even in there.
Also when I go to the grocery store and I am in the express lane, 10 items means 10 separate items NOT 10 cans of ravioli and 10 cans of pringles, and 10 bottles of gatoraid!

Jannette
03-19-2010, 08:18 AM
One of mine is eople who say supposably instead of supposedly. It happens all the time around here and just makes me grind my teeth every time I hear it. Same thing with aks instead of ask.

The carts in the parking lot also drive me nuts. Get off your lazy keester and put them in the corral where they belong.

kellyh57
03-19-2010, 10:00 AM
The carts in the parking lot also drive me nuts. Get off your lazy keester and put them in the corral where they belong.

If you have small children, it's hard to go all the way across the parking lot just to put the cart away. I'll put it out of the way, but I'm not going to leave the kids and walk 2 miles to the nearest cart corral. I've heard of kids being kidnapped while their parent was putting away a cart so I'm really cautious of leaving them in the car- locked or not. Stores should have an adequate number and location of cart corrals if they have problems with stray carts.

N0obKnitter
03-19-2010, 11:12 AM
Some old guy tore me a new one once for leaving a cart with a bunch of pre-existing carts in a parking spot once, I just ignored him and went back to my boyfriend's van. I was actually amazed the old dude had the audacity to speak to me like that...

trvvn5
03-19-2010, 11:18 AM
[QUOTE=N0obKnitter;1281787]

[QUOTE]

Seriously, the hairs on the back of my neck are standing up thinking about the sound.

N0obKnitter
03-19-2010, 11:24 AM
[QUOTE=N0obKnitter;1281787]

[QUOTE]

Seriously, the hairs on the back of my neck are standing up thinking about the sound.

I joined a Facebook group "stop scraping your teeth on your fork" :roflhard:

trvvn5
03-19-2010, 11:24 AM
Improper use of reflexive pronouns irritates me. e.g

John invited Shelly and myself to the party.

That irritates me.

MoniDew
03-19-2010, 12:12 PM
I absolutely detest "a whole 'nother," (e.g. a whole 'nother level) as if 'nother was an actual word.

I want to yell, "it's another whole," people!!!!

Jan in CA
03-19-2010, 12:31 PM
If you have small children, it's hard to go all the way across the parking lot just to put the cart away. I'll put it out of the way, but I'm not going to leave the kids and walk 2 miles to the nearest cart corral.

Although I prefer if people put their baskets where the belong I do understand this and would have done the same when my kids were small.

We shop at Stater Bros a lot and they have so few places to put the carts in the lot it's ridiculous! If they had a few more it would be a lot easier!

N0obKnitter
03-19-2010, 12:32 PM
I hate it when people say height like "hy-th"...hard to explain, like there is a TH at the end.

Arielluria
03-19-2010, 07:03 PM
LOL on the tall thing :)

Pet peeves: bad drivers, and people who cross the road assuming cars are going to look out for them! Especially bugs me when they cross diagonally, basic High School algebra tells you that takes longer and so the cars must wait longer for you to pass!!!!!!!!!! I'm a courteous driver.....but I mumble a lot inside the car ;)

Gertie
04-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Ladies & Gents, when serving cake at a wedding, shower or whatever, please use the correct serving utensil (that's laying on the table) instead of your fingers. Thank you. I'm soooo tempted to ask for one without the fingers, but I want to be a gracious guest. One of these times...

On this holiday weekend I'm reminded that we can choose our friends but not our family. In my DH's family it doesn't bother the other ladies at all to see their 86 year old 99 lb matriarch working her tail off cleaning the kitchen (sometimes their kitchen) while they sit on their butts & talk, fully aware of what's going on. Most times I'm the only one helping. When it's time to return tables & chairs to proper order or take out the trash, the men are right there, but not the ladies. My in-laws are too passive. His mother was demanding & now they've gone too far the other direction. In my family we're practically bumping into each other & the work is done in a flash.

Drivers, please consider that pedestrians also need your turn signals. Especially when walking a child or elderly person (see the old lady with the walker). Sidewalks aren't always an option.

KathleenG
04-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Some have already been mentioned: "acrost" instead of "across"

Mis-use of apostrophes: especially in the word "its."
The dog shook its head. NOT " it's head" NOT "its' head" There is no apostrophe here.

Plural and possessive: She has two blue hats. NOT She has two blue hat's.(plural) Mary's house is on the corner. (possessive)

"of" instead of "have"
I should have gone to the store. NOT "I should of gone to the store."

"ect." instead of "etc."

"to" instead of "too" I live in that state, too. (NOT 'to')

"they're' and "there" They're my friends. (NOT "there")

"you're" and "your" You're a knitter. (NOT "your")

Don't get me started. . .

Lighting57
04-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Don't forget the use of "4" instead of "for". The two do not sound a like (if pronounced correctly)and they do mean different things.

Gertie
04-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Some of you may appreciate the ravelry group Grammar Nerds (http://www.ravelry.com/groups/grammar-nerds) or maybe Language Lovers (http://www.ravelry.com/groups/language-lovers).

Raven Fyre
04-04-2010, 10:06 PM
I've only come accross this one once (was so hard not to goof on the "acrost" thing lol) Ideal instead of idea. As in "I have a great idea." its not a great ideal, an ideal is a value or a princable not a thought.

Yellow jackets/wasps you know the bugs that are agressive that sting and basicly have no real purpose. (hope I spelled everything correctly)

People that knock on my door trying to convert my family.

Drives me nuts when people (not many people do this) wear their shoes in my house. Yuck I don't want the outside on my floors.

Those are all I can think of.

N0obKnitter
04-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Don't forget the use of "4" instead of "for". The two do not sound a like (if pronounced correctly)and they do mean different things.

With my accent/way of speaking, for/four sound exactly the same.

N0obKnitter
04-04-2010, 10:22 PM
I've only come accross this one once (was so hard not to goof on the "acrost" thing lol) Ideal instead of idea. As in "I have a great idea." its not a great ideal, an ideal is a value or a princable not a thought.

Yellow jackets/wasps you know the bugs that are agressive that sting and basicly have no real purpose. (hope I spelled everything correctly)

People that knock on my door trying to convert my family.

Drives me nuts when people (not many people do this) wear their shoes in my house. Yuck I don't want the outside on my floors.

Those are all I can think of.

Door-to-door brainwashers annoy me greatly, too. I become extremely annoyed when someone says "A wasp bit me." I've never been BITTEN by a wasp (I know they're actually a kind of bee...) just stung by them. Arrgghhh.

Raven Fyre
04-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Door-to-door brainwashers annoy me greatly, too. I become extremely annoyed when someone says "A wasp bit me." I've never been BITTEN by a wasp (I know they're actually a kind of bee...) just stung by them. Arrgghhh.

Anyone that has every been stung by a yellow jacket/wasp knows how bad that hurts no way that could be confused for a bite. Sting not bite I agree.

ArtLady1981
04-04-2010, 11:35 PM
At a coffee house, such as Starbucks: when the person at the register, handling the money, also fetches my coffee (to go) and mooshes her "money hands" all over my lid where my mouth will be in 2 seconds. :ick: Ewwww.

I might as well go in their lavatory and lick the toilet! Where do the coffee houses train their people?

Arielluria
04-04-2010, 11:47 PM
Ewwwww! Yah! Call it a 'Monk' moment, but I've gotten to whipping out those handiwipes quite a bit lately! I think from now on I'll change lids!

Oh, and don't forget the knitted coffee cozy (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94116&highlight=coffee)! ;)

Spokaloo
04-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Wasps bite, too! However, while wasps bites can also be painful, they are, of course, nothing like a sting!! But they do bite!

KathleenG
04-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Something that has bothered me for a long, long, time. . .

In response to a person saying "Thank you," the second person answers, "No problem," instead of saying "You're welcome." Why would he/she say "No problem?" Of course it isn't a problem!! The first person is just THANKING the second person for doing/saying/ something positive or helpful, not for causing a PROBLEM! In those situations I've been known to say, "Well, I certainly HOPE it wasn't a problem for you!" I've gotten some looks. . .

KathleenG
04-06-2010, 01:05 PM
One more. . .

The mis-use of the word "anymore."

This word should be used with a negative connotation:

"I don't like you anymore." "He is not going to school anymore."

The word is often mis-used in the affirmative:

"She is going to church anymore." "They'll be coming to visit us on the weekends anymore."

N0obKnitter
04-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Something that has bothered me for a long, long, time. . .

In response to a person saying "Thank you," the second person answers, "No problem," instead of saying "You're welcome." Why would he/she say "No problem?" Of course it isn't a problem!! The first person is just THANKING the second person for doing/saying/ something positive or helpful, not for causing a PROBLEM! In those situations I've been known to say, "Well, I certainly HOPE it wasn't a problem for you!" I've gotten some looks. . .

I know in Portuguese and French the response is sometimes "It's nothing..."

Arielluria
04-07-2010, 11:19 AM
I hate that too! :nails:

I know in Portuguese and French the response is sometimes "It's nothing..."

True, but in Portuguese it's not a relatively new & rude-ish response, really. "de nada" is short for "não há de nada" meaning "it was no bother doing it for you".

N0obKnitter
04-07-2010, 11:53 AM
I hate that too! :nails:

True, but in Portuguese it's not a relatively new & rude-ish response, really. "de nada" is short for "não há de nada" meaning "it was no bother doing it for you".

Oh heck, I didn't know that! :yay: . It's de rien in French...I think it's the same as de nada.

Anyway, I HATE it when people say "exscape" instead of "escape." zomg.

N0obKnitter
04-07-2010, 12:00 PM
One more. . .

The mis-use of the word "anymore."

This word should be used with a negative connotation:

"I don't like you anymore." "He is not going to school anymore."

The word is often mis-used in the affirmative:

"She is going to church anymore." "They'll be coming to visit us on the weekends anymore."

People actually talk like that where you live?!? I would go looney tunes!:roflhard:

Arielluria
04-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Yes it is, I speak French as well. I guess the big difference is "de rien" & "de nada" have been around forever and they are the polite way as "you're welcome" is in English. But today's way of saying 'no problem' is just rude compared to "you're welcome". :) At least to me! Because it's not saying 'I'm glad to do it for you', it's more like saying 'I had to do it'.

Oh well, obviously, it's one of my major pet peeves.

Earlier today my husband asked me "do you want me to tell you when you're obsessing?" :D I said "no, I know!" :)

Gertie
04-07-2010, 09:29 PM
The "no problem" thing doesn't bother me at all. To me it's just a casual or colloquial way of saying that the help given was easy and gladly done. Today I was thanked for a help. I told her she was welcome and that it was no trouble at all to do it. To me they're the same. In a more formal setting I would have simply said, "you're welcome".

Lisa R.
04-07-2010, 09:43 PM

You're not from Georgia, are you? :mrgreen:

Lisa R.
04-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Yes it is, I speak French as well. I guess the big difference is "de rien" & "de nada" have been around forever and they are the polite way as "you're welcome" is in English. But today's way of saying 'no problem' is just rude compared to "you're welcome". :) At least to me! Because it's not saying 'I'm glad to do it for you', it's more like saying 'I had to do it'.

Oh well, obviously, it's one of my major pet peeves.

Earlier today my husband asked me "do you want me to tell you when you're obsessing?" :D I said "no, I know!" :)

Really?? I have always understood "no problem," to mean, "It wasn't any problem/trouble to do it," with the implication being that they were glad to do it.

Would you mind explaining how you see it having the implication of "I had to do it?" I'm unfamiliar with anyone interpreting it that way.

Nevermind...I found the original post. I still don't get it, or agree, but I see that it was explained. I think if you explored a bit you'd find that most people are intending it to mean, "I wasn't any problem; I was glad to do it." or "No trouble at all." That's probably why you get the weird looks when you reply, "I hope it wasn't a problem."

Lighting57
04-09-2010, 10:18 AM
You're not from Georgia, are you? :mrgreen:

No, Lisa R., I am not from Georgia. Where I live doesn't matter. I undersand that different regions, even within the same state have varying dialects therefore people do talk and pronounce words, etc. differently.

My main problem with using the number "4" in place of the word "for" in advertisements and so forth is the fact that it teaches children, and those trying to learn the English language, incorrect grammar and sentence structure.

Lighting57
04-09-2010, 10:27 AM
At the beginning of this thread I mentioned how people have no regard for other peoples property and how they don't care if they damage your car in a parking lot.

Well, guess what, I am the prize winner. Last week while shopping someone gifted me with a nice large dent in my right rear car door. They didn't leave their insurance information on my window either. We just purchased this car in February. I couldn't/wouldn't have done that damage and drove away.

I guess what peeves me the most is the lack of honesty, intergrity, responsibility and morals that prevails in our nation now.

KathleenG
04-09-2010, 11:04 AM
Lighting,
I'm so sorry about your car. What a rotten thing to do! (and not own up to it, either) What a terrible thing to find when you came out of the store! Hugs to you!
Kathleen

KathleenG
04-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Well, it still rankles me when I hear "No problem!" A simple "You're welcome" will suffice, IMHO!

N0obKnitter
04-15-2010, 04:02 PM
I has new pet peeve...people that form gaggles and block doorways, escalators, stair cases etc. Why.Don't.They.Move?!?!

panchita
04-16-2010, 12:35 AM
This is a very strange one... I like the sheets and blankets on the bed to be fairly flat and layered neatly. I cannot get into bed if they're in a jumbled mess. The bed doesn't have to be perfectly made, just not all wretchedly wrinkled. My DH could sleep in a big wad of bunched up bedclothes (sheets, blanket, comforter, pillows, etc.) with no problem. Unfortunately, he gets to sleep later than I do and leaves a little nest when he get up to be untangled every night. It would be comical if it didn't irk me so much!

panchita
04-16-2010, 12:37 AM
OH! One more... When I ask, "How are you?" and the answer is "good." Really!?!? Good? Not fine? Grrr.

Arielluria
04-16-2010, 02:58 PM
This is a very strange one... I like the sheets and blankets on the bed to be fairly flat and layered neatly. I cannot get into bed if they're in a jumbled mess. The bed doesn't have to be perfectly made, just not all wretchedly wrinkled. My DH could sleep in a big wad of bunched up bedclothes (sheets, blanket, comforter, pillows, etc.) with no problem. Unfortunately, he gets to sleep later than I do and leaves a little nest when he get up to be untangled every night. It would be comical if it didn't irk me so much!Me too, and I'm absolutely DELIGHTED when I get into a freshly made bed.......one of my favorite things. :woot:

MerigoldinWA
04-16-2010, 05:13 PM
My pet peeve is people who use the word "irregardless" which is not a word at all.

It is a word, and it is in my dictionary. This is an old dictionary, copyright 1982, 1985, 1991. The dictionary says it is nonstandard for regardless. By now it is probably standard. :lol: This is a word I don't like either, but I need to get over it.

What I notice about a lot of the "peeves" in this thread is that they are pretty small potatoes and we all (the human race) need to cut each other a little more slack. A few that involve safety issues (and others) are, in my opinion, not just peeves, but legitimate concerns. I don't think we should have to denigrate a real issue by calling it a peeve.

I'm glad I'm not super sensitive or I'd be afraid to open my mouth (get on the computer) for fear I would be rubbing someone the wrong way. We all need to lighten up, including me. I know every time my pastor says 'irregardless' I take note; I wish I didn't.

N0obKnitter
04-17-2010, 02:09 PM
OH! One more... When I ask, "How are you?" and the answer is "good." Really!?!? Good? Not fine? Grrr.

My friend once asked me that question and I replied "Fan-#$%$#%-tastic, how the h--- are you?!" :roflhard:

catlvr
04-17-2010, 03:59 PM
People who constantly say "awesome" or "surreal" Drives me crazy!!

Arielluria
04-18-2010, 03:17 PM
I hate it when people talk while you're obviously trying to hear the TV or read. Ya! I'll just put everything down to listen! :shock:

KathleenG
04-19-2010, 04:51 PM
We're talking about a "pet peeve" here, which is another way of saying "minor annoyance."

Another one of my "pet peeves" is people telling me what I need to do.

bmwmom2002
04-19-2010, 08:20 PM
Ok, color me confused, but where in the US does "four" not sound like "for"? :lol That has been bugging the heck out of me!