PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom Rug and Another Dishcloth

Shandeh
03-18-2010, 03:20 PM
I've decided to make a larger bathroom rug with some of the yarn leftover from my last one. The small rug I made for the Bernat Blog is not big enough to cover our bathroom walking area.

So, I measured the area I want to cover, and started a rug that will cover it all. I'm just doing single crochet, holding 2 strands of Bernat Handicrafter together throughout. I'm about halfway through now!
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/4443003259_9af2679dcf.jpg

And I just finished knitting another dishcloth, because my Mom asked for a green one. Once again, I used Bernat's Beginner Crochet pattern called "Handicrafter Cotton Dishcloth (http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=4012)".

I got the stitch right this time, so it went fast! I used a thinner yarn, to get the color she wanted, and a smaller hook (size F). So, the cloth came out small. I decided to add a border all around to make it bigger. One round of single crochet, then one round of half-double crochet. I like how it turned out. :)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2780/4443002137_8a1a61e81f.jpg

Jan in CA
03-18-2010, 04:33 PM
They look great, Sandy!:thumbsup:

melmac51
03-19-2010, 09:28 AM
They DID come out really good! :) I'm going to check and see what cottons I have in my stash.

blueygh2
03-19-2010, 02:13 PM
Good work! Looks lovely.

Shandeh
03-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Thank you, my friends! :hug:
They DID come out really good! :) I'm going to check and see what cottons I have in my stash.
You GO girl! I'm looking forward to seeing your cloth as well. :)

borealowl
03-20-2010, 01:00 AM
I don't usually look at this crochet section because I have only made one crochet item in my life - a gigantic granny square afghan of scraps several years ago and some sc edgings on slippers. It just seems awkward to me. But I have seen a lot of crochet rug patterns and this one you made is just beautiful. I have made several knitted rugs, mostly garter stitch and also two spiral ones. Maybe I'll give it another try one day. Do the crocheted ones go faster than the knitted?

Shandeh
03-20-2010, 03:34 PM
I have made several knitted rugs, mostly garter stitch and also two spiral ones. Maybe I'll give it another try one day. Do the crocheted ones go faster than the knitted?
Yes, it goes faster, because the yarn is thicker as you go. (Each crochet stitch uses more yarn than knitted stitches do.)

borealowl
03-20-2010, 05:10 PM
I was trying it this morning and it is much slower than knitting for me. Maybe its the tight tension I have and it's harder to get the hook in the next stitch. Gave up and went back to my needles.

blueygh2
03-20-2010, 05:37 PM
The beginning is always hard, but once you get the hang of it, it really is quicker.

Shandeh
03-20-2010, 07:32 PM
I was trying it this morning and it is much slower than knitting for me. Maybe its the tight tension I have and it's harder to get the hook in the next stitch. Gave up and went back to my needles.
I used to have the same problem, and always stayed away from crochet. But, I've learned to relax my tension on the yarn, and try different size hooks to see what works best for the project.

I'm using two strands of cotton yarn held together for my rug, with a size K hook.

Shandeh
03-20-2010, 07:34 PM
This afternoon, I started and finished another green dishcloth for my Mom. I sat outside on my back porch to make it, because the weather was so nice in North Carolina today.
cloud9
Here's a photo of the cloth I made today:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2703/4449281890_1a31903823.jpg

borealowl
03-21-2010, 11:43 PM
I love your dishcloth too. I was trying the crochet hook in size K with a single strand of worsted weight. Tension is the main problem I think. I need to loosen up. I would like to do a crochet rug though. I met a woman in the laundromat a few years ago who made beautiful three stranded multicolor crochet rugs for her cabin - they were doing their "spring wash." It got me motivated to make rugs but I knitted instead. I just made two red heart dishcloths just for the heck of it-maybe for next year's Valentine's day- out of Sugar and Cream. You have an incredible number of projects judging by these posts!:knitting:

Shandeh
03-22-2010, 12:38 AM
Just use whichever craft makes you happy for your rug. That's the only way to really enjoy what you're making. It's a drag to work on something if it's no fun.

You have an incredible number of projects judging by these posts!:knitting:
Yeah, I'm a knitting addict (and crochet is fun too).
Right now, my tally shows that I have 307 completed projects, and 31 in progress. Busy, busy!

borealowl
03-22-2010, 11:35 PM
I would go nuts if I had that many wips. Haven't counted how many I have finished but I don't want to do more than two at a time. Unfortunately I can't finish one for getting another idea. Got a good book out of the library today- Homespun Handknit with at least two patterns I want to do. I do want to master basic crochet if only for one rug. I think I need someone to look at what I'm doing. But I do feel most comfortable with knitting. Don't know how you find time in the day to do what you do.
Thank you for the advice.

treegardner
03-23-2010, 01:48 AM
Those look great! :cheering:

Shandeh
03-23-2010, 02:46 AM
I would go nuts if I had that many wips. Haven't counted how many I have finished but I don't want to do more than two at a time.
I have a creative personality, and I get bored easily. So, I can't just work on one or two things at a time. I like the variety! It's nice to have different projects to choose from.

I keep one project in the car all the time, for when I want to fill time. (doctor appointments, listening to the sermon at church, waiting for my next piano student.) I have a few different pairs of socks on the needles. And some large blankets as well. And I'm making a different project every month for the Bernat Blog, so that project gets priority until it's completed.

If my hands start to hurt from knitting with tiny needles, I can switch to a project on larger needles. Or switch from crochet to knitting. Sometimes, I just set it all aside and read, or do internet stuff, or play piano.

Those look great! :cheering:
Thanks! :)

melmac51
03-23-2010, 02:02 PM
Thank you, my friends! :hug:

You GO girl! I'm looking forward to seeing your cloth as well. :)

I'm hoping for a camera for my birthday (on Good Friday this year), so I can actually figure out how to, and post pics!! I've dropped plenty of hints to my DH. Let's see if he picked up on them.

melmac51
03-23-2010, 02:07 PM
I love your dishcloth too. I was trying the crochet hook in size K with a single strand of worsted weight. Tension is the main problem I think. I need to loosen up. I would like to do a crochet rug though. I met a woman in the laundromat a few years ago who made beautiful three stranded multicolor crochet rugs for her cabin - they were doing their "spring wash." It got me motivated to make rugs but I knitted instead. I just made two red heart dishcloths just for the heck of it-maybe for next year's Valentine's day- out of Sugar and Cream. You have an incredible number of projects judging by these posts!:knitting:

Years ago, I went to a class for crocheting with fabric. You cut sheets, or buy fabric, or whatever you'd like, and use a size Q hook. We made heart-shaped rugs out of fabric. It was really fun! Mine was under my rocking chair, for years. Then during one of our floods, it stayed wet too long, and got moldy. (...hmmm...thinking of going home and cutting up old sheets for a new one...)

melmac51
03-23-2010, 02:10 PM
[/QUOTE]Yeah, I'm a knitting addict (and crochet is fun too).
Right now, my tally shows that I have 307 completed projects, and 31 in progress. Busy, busy![/QUOTE]

Holy Smokes!!! :notworthy:

OffJumpsJack
03-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Sandy, The rug and the cloths look great.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

borealowl
03-23-2010, 09:32 PM
Yes I've seen some of those crocheted rag rugs and would like to try one too. What size hook do you think I should be using for one strand of worsted? Maybe that's part of the problem.
I have carpal tunnel, arthritis in my hands and a bone spur in one elbow. If I overuse my hands like in knitting they go numb. Had to quit dog mushing because I would go out and my hands would numb. Thought I wouldn't make it home. So I take breaks with the knitting and do other things like read. This computer doesn't help.
I have more projects planned than I'll ever find time for.:knitting: Shandeh is truly amazing.

Shandeh
03-24-2010, 08:08 PM
I'm hoping for a camera for my birthday (on Good Friday this year), so I can actually figure out how to, and post pics!! I've dropped plenty of hints to my DH. Let's see if he picked up on them.
I hope you get your camera soon! I remember being without one when I first started getting into the internet. My hubby and I finally got one, and I protect it religiously. We've had it for about 4 years now, and it's still going strong! I've noticed recently that some camera phones take really good photos, so I think the technology has improved quite a bit.

Before I had a digital camera, I used to use disposable cameras. I would get them developed at Walmart, and have them include the photos on a disk, so I could download them to my computer. Where there's a will, there's a way! :teehee:

Years ago, I went to a class for crocheting with fabric. You cut sheets, or buy fabric, or whatever you'd like, and use a size Q hook. We made heart-shaped rugs out of fabric. It was really fun! Mine was under my rocking chair, for years. Then during one of our floods, it stayed wet too long, and got moldy. (...hmmm...thinking of going home and cutting up old sheets for a new one...)
That sounds FUN! I want to try that out one day. Sorry you lost your original rug. :pout:

Sandy, The rug and the cloths look great.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks Jack! :hug:

What size hook do you think I should be using for one strand of worsted? Maybe that's part of the problem.
I have carpal tunnel, arthritis in my hands and a bone spur in one elbow. If I overuse my hands like in knitting they go numb. Had to quit dog mushing because I would go out and my hands would numb. Thought I wouldn't make it home. So I take breaks with the knitting and do other things like read. This computer doesn't help.
I have arthritis too, and used to avoid crochet because of it. But, now I use hooks with a larger grip, which are much easier on my hands. I use two different styles right now.
Clover "Crochet Lite (http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat2873&PRODID=prd58617)" hooks, that light up to see the stitches more easily. They are my favorite. :thumbsup:
Clover "Soft Touch (http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat2873&PRODID=prd32203)" hooks, with a thick grip.
There's no way I could crochet with a standard hook anymore. Just too painful.

For worsted weight yarn, I would use a hook ranging from G to J, depending on how it flows.

Good luck!

borealowl
03-25-2010, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the advice Shandeh.:knitting:

borealowl
03-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Actually I think the hook I am using may be too large.

OffJumpsJack
03-25-2010, 11:14 PM

I used to have the same problem, and always stayed away from crochet. But, I've learned to relax my tension on the yarn, and try different size hooks to see what works best for the project.

I'm using two strands of cotton yarn held together for my rug, with a size K hook.

Actually I think the hook I am using may be too large.

I will bet you pick up the yarn with your pinky, then wrap around it and behind your other three fingers. I find most knitters I know do this just like Amy-and many others-show in video tutorial.

I always found this put too much tension on my yarn. Have you tried not wrapping the yarn around your pinky?

Shandeh
03-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Jack is right! I forgot about that. That is the other thing I have had to change recently. I run the yarn through my fingers now, but don't wrap it at all. I just squeeze my fingers together a little if the yarn needs a little tension.

blueygh2
03-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Oh I wrapped it in the beginning, but not so anymore. I don't like too tight tension, so for most yarn it's just right. For some, I still have to wrap though, so it doesn't slip out too easily.

borealowl
03-27-2010, 01:41 AM
No but I'll try it. Thanks!