PDA

View Full Version : I need help substituting yarn

stitchabit
03-28-2010, 01:38 PM
Please help. I need help substituting a different yarn for the pattern (Wildflower Vest-August 2009 Issue of Knit 'N Style pg. 89) The vest shown was knitted with 113g - 160 yd skeins of Halcyon Yarn- 100% wool-. This will be my first knitted piece that ventures away from scarves and blankets. I am on a limited budget right now - so I could afford around the $5 or under a ball or skein. I have been looking at the TLC Cotton Plus Yarn (100g 178yds). I remember someone here had knitted a swearter using a cotton yarn and loved it- I am open to other than cotton, tho I would like the yarn to be washable -(handwash cycle) and if lucky dryable on (knit cycle).
I would appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks

Jan in CA
03-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Halcyon is the brand name. What is the yarn name? What is the gauge? If we know that we can help better.

When substituting yarns you go by gauge. If the yarn is 20 stitches over 4 inches then you look for another yarn of the same gauge.

borealowl
03-28-2010, 05:04 PM
Sounds like maybe a worsted or heavy worsted. I like Kraemer Yarns Little Lehigh and Tatamy Tweeds. They come in both dk and worsted weights. They are a cotton/acrylic mix, wash well, and are reasonably priced.

stitchabit
03-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Halcyon is the brand name. What is the yarn name? What is the gauge? If we know that we can help better.

When substituting yarns you go by gauge. If the yarn is 20 stitches over 4 inches then you look for another yarn of the same gauge.

The yarn name is Botanica. The guage is 18sts by 32 rows = 4" in pattern stitch-using a size 9 -29" circular needle or size to obtain guage. So, if I have this correct I would look for yarn that is 18sts over 4 inches?

stitchabit
03-28-2010, 05:36 PM
Sounds like maybe a worsted or heavy worsted. I like Kraemer Yarns Little Lehigh and Tatamy Tweeds. They come in both dk and worsted weights. They are a cotton/acrylic mix, wash well, and are reasonably priced.

Thank you. I will check those out.