PDA

View Full Version : Harvest Shawl Test Knit

Pages : [1] 2 3

lissaplus2
04-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Hello everyone!!:waving:

I thought Id move us over here so we can talk about the things we run accross during this test knit so everyone can see, in case they had the same question...and help each other out.

If anyone wants to join us to test this (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98540)....please private me your email and i will send you the pattern.

It has been brought to my attention(ty Crycket) that the yardage may be somewhat of an over exaggeration.
I did the shawl on less than 1100yds but im a tight knitter and wanted to make sure there were yarn requirements suitable for all types of knitters.

Please keep track of the yardage, and let me know what you used when your done.

This is soooo exciting!! :woot:
:knitting:
Melissa

Crycket
04-04-2010, 06:09 PM
It was just math. According to the pattern, 6 balls @ 166 yrds is 996 yrds...but the truth was it was 5 balls @ 166 yrds and 1 ball at 199 yrds, and that would make it around 1029.

The only reason this was a topic of discussion was because I have 1093 yrds of Luxury Alpaca Cashmere in a fingering type weight. Therefore, just making sure I will make it. I really should, as long as there aren't any long lengths of flawed yarn.

Either way...very exciting...it is always good to over estimate the yardage a bit. Just in case.

Can't wait...

Crycket
04-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Ok...just started, very exciting too...I have never done a Provisional Crochet cast on before...neat-o

Anyway..was browsing my chart legend, and you have a C4F in there...but no cable needles mentioned in your Notions....

Unless of course I am blind....in which case...ignore me...*smiles*

Dimpledapple
04-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Ok...just started, very exciting too...I have never done a Provisional Crochet cast on before...neat-o

Anyway..was browsing my chart legend, and you have a C4F in there...but no cable needles mentioned in your Notions....

Unless of course I am blind....in which case...ignore me...*smiles*

Yayyy!! :woohoo: How exciting! Have had a very busy weekend (Easter, work, college hoops final four), but I should be starting tomorrow. :woot:

By the way, I also noticed the cable needle missing from the notions section.

lissaplus2
04-04-2010, 10:24 PM
ok Im an idiot....
i will add it ....
Thanks for the catch!!!

Now on to the next one.:roflhard:

Crycket
04-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Stupid question - when knitting on row 2, do you just knit/purl though the yarn overs, or is one meant to ktbl?

Crycket
04-05-2010, 12:17 AM
Nevermind, I found what was throwing me off....

The YOs that follow purl sts then lead into a S1 K2Tog PSSO don't really need to be YOed. The yarn is already in front. I had gotten to row two and had a double YO in those spots and it was throwing me off.

Man...Lace, not for the tired or distracted....*sigh*...

lissaplus2
04-05-2010, 12:19 AM
cool...
Yea lace is very demanding...rest assured tho, when you get to the 3rd or 4th repeat, you will be doin it much easier. I had it memorized by then.

check my other post out (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97894)....Ive taken pics of some of the stitches..and it talks about the types of yo's ive used in this pattern.

Crycket
04-05-2010, 09:01 AM
That was nice and clear cut. *smiles* Once I had gotten though the first two rows (for the third time) I got it! *smiles* But that is me with any lace. It always takes an orientation period!

Hopefully today I will motor though some of it! *knock on wood*

Crycket
04-05-2010, 03:31 PM
I have started and frogged this thing about 10 times already this afternoon....*grr*

lissaplus2
04-05-2010, 04:02 PM
is there someway i can help you?

Is it the pattern thats messing you up?

Crycket
04-05-2010, 05:10 PM
I was messing myself up...I think. Either way...I seem to be going now *knock on wood*...I apparently was messing myself up with some of the yarn overs...and it really was kinda a rooky mistake...which is kinda embarrassing...I have done lace before!!

Anyway...I am now on row 8 with a life line in place...crisis averted...!

Oh...and a little chocolate came to the rescue too!

lissaplus2
04-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Good Deal!!!

Chocolate is wonderful ain't it???

Almost as good as lifelines...

Glad to hear your doin good now.. :yay:

Crycket
04-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Yep...definately my own stupid mistake, but however it was I changed what I was doing, seems to be making it work! Already to row 12, and I could have had more done if it wasn't for that pesky dinner hour!

Just so you know...I am kinda using this to blog my journey....just cause I can! *winks*

lissaplus2
04-05-2010, 07:11 PM
that pesky dinner hour!

yea i dont get why my family wants to eat all the time....

Just so you know...I am kinda using this to blog my journey....just cause I can! *winks*

thats AWSOME!! that way i can see whats goin on too.

How are you doing Dimpledapple??

Crycket
04-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Ok...I am up to row 19 and I think I have something wonky going on in my middle section. I could be wrong.

I don't think this picture is doing me any good, but between me holding the camera and DHs hands, it was the best I could do...

It looks weird in the middle...is it supposed to look like this? I know it is hard to tell not all blocked out...it just looks like something is shifted...in which case it is probably my fault....

What do you think?

Crycket
04-05-2010, 09:15 PM
ok...I think I have pin pointed it, still think it might be my error, but there is definatly one there...it seems to be in row 7. I am going to tear back and try again...

lissaplus2
04-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Your cable cross looks like its hitting the mark, but it does look a bit...shifted further up, hard to tell in that pic. but i gotta tell you, i cant put into words how i feel to see it knitted by someone else...keep the pics commin!!

The pic in the link i gave you about yo's, isnt blocked, you can use it as a guide if you want.

did you get it figured out?

Crycket
04-05-2010, 09:36 PM
I am literally back at row 1, giving it a try from there...I was looking at your other pics and it was definatly off. Don't know how much longer I will be able to plug at it today, but tomorrow is a new day!

lissaplus2
04-05-2010, 09:46 PM
looking deeper, I want to make sure you have a grip on the cable cross..it can screw ya up...i had hoped i wrote it clear enough. if you need help let me know...and then when we figure it out...ill rewrite it. maybe its the way i charted it. it should take up 7 stitches.

Is that a pic of the whole piece? i only see one cable cross.

Crycket
04-05-2010, 09:57 PM
I didn't think of it at the time...but on second thought, the first one may have come out wonky...the second one was fine. Something felt wrong when I was purling row 8 but only on one of the twists.

Man this pattern is making a noob out of me. I have done cables, and lace...really...check out my ravelry page....*smiles*

I didn't hit up the row 19 one, I noticed the error just as I got there..that is when I took the pic....it was only really the middle part, as my dh was holding the piece down, but not on the edges...so he may have been covering the second one up.

Long story short, I need something better than post it notes keeping my place, it was the C4F part I had to keep lifting them up for...*lol*

lissaplus2
04-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Well this isnt a normal cable...in my opinion...

You will get it...you got me teased now...i want to see it in that color....you HAVE TO :pout:

Get some sleep and come back to it refreshed...and bring a bowl of chocolate....:)

Long story short, I need something better than post it notes keeping my place, it was the C4F part I had to keep lifting them up for...*lol*
i use a magnetic board and a magnetic strip...but i used to just highlight the row when i got it done....

Crycket
04-05-2010, 10:16 PM
I do have one of those...but it has my cross stitch on it right now...I can't move it...*smiles*

Dimpledapple
04-05-2010, 11:40 PM
Crycket, you're on fire!! Man, I feel so behind... I've cast on (I'm using KP Superwash since it makes up half of my stash) and definitely concur on the coolness of the provisional crochet cast-on. I'm taking pictures, but at the moment seem to have lost the little USB cable thingie so I'm not able to post them right away. Here's hoping all goes well... Crossed Fingers

Crycket
04-06-2010, 12:07 AM
Oh...not really on fire...I spent approx 10 hours knitting and frogging and am back to row 1 tonight...*sigh* I feel like the pattern kicked my *** today...but tomorrow will hopefully be better!

Dimpledapple
04-06-2010, 01:14 AM
I like to take a mathematical approach and look at the amount of knitting you've done in terms of absolute values! :teehee: Here's hoping tomorrow is a better day for you!

MMario
04-06-2010, 08:55 AM
A suggestion regarding the cable:

If you make the instructions for the C4F to be:

sl 4 st t cn, hold to front, yo, s1k2p,yo; sl left st from cn to left needle, p1, yo, sl3 from cn to left, s1k2p, yo

then you can realign rows 7 and 20

your description in the pdf uses 7 stitches but only makes 5.

I'm assuming it should match the row below and above only with the cross.

lissaplus2
04-06-2010, 09:11 AM
I'm assuming it should match the row below and above only with the cross.

Yes it should...but it uses 7 stitches and didnt know how to chart that...that was a sore spot for me when charting it.

sl 4---4 stitches
yo---1
sk2p---1
yo--1

it makes 7 too

the following row uses seven too....

tell me where im seeing it wrong?

MMario
04-06-2010, 09:33 AM
you slip four - that uses none, creates none, just moves them.

yo = 1 made, none used

sk2p - 1 made, 3 used total 2 made, 3 used.

yo - 1 made, none used. totals 3 made, 3 used.

slip the leftmost stitch on the cn to the left, purl it.

makes one, uses one. totals 4 made, 4 used.

yo - makes one, uses none. totals = 5 made, 4 used.

slip remaining 3 stitches from the cn. s2kp makes one, uses 3. totals now 6 made, 7 used.

yarnover - makes one, uses none. seven made and seven used.

Crycket
04-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Confused...what does sk2p mean?

Nevermind, just looked it up....

skip one knit two pass stitch...got it

lissaplus2
04-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Ok I see.

Ive changed it now....if anyone wants the new chart let me know ill send it...

Ive asked mario if he would look at my pattern and all the technical stuff too...he is just consulting for us......
THANK YOU MARIO...:muah:

Crycket
04-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Yeah...I will need that new chart...*smiles*....

I was wondering if MMario was going to be joining us!

Is the change exactly what he said...can I just write it onto my existing chart?

MMario
04-06-2010, 10:20 AM
looking at just the right hand portion; columns 7 to 15 counting from the right.

row one, 3, 11,13,15,17,19,21,23 are all:

YO, (double decrease) YO, purl 3, YO, (double decrease), YO = 9 stitches

Row 5 and 9 are:

purl one, YO, double decrease, YO, p1, YO, double decrease, yo, = 9 stitches.

row 7 should be:

p1, ( *** ), p1 = where ( *** ) is the crossover

but is charted as p1, ( *** ), yo, p1

If your stitch order for those seven stitchs is:

gfedcba

after the crossover they will be:

O ,(c), O, d, O, (g), O

stitches dcba are held forward
yarnover
stitches gfe decrease to form (g)
yarnover
purl stitch d
yarnover
stitches cba decrease to form (c)
yarnover
stitch

Does that make sense?

MMario
04-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Ive asked mario if he would look at my pattern and all the technical stuff too...he is just consulting for us......
:

Not just consulting.....drooling over the pattern and wishing I had time to knit it!

Crycket
04-06-2010, 10:25 AM
Yeah...ok...just send me a new chart...MMario has got my head spinning...

lissaplus2
04-06-2010, 10:25 AM
theres no change in instruction....
just change in order on the chart.

check your email

lissaplus2
04-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Does that make sense?

I think you made it clear as mud to Crycket....:roflhard:

Crycket
04-06-2010, 10:39 AM
I think you made it clear as mud to Crycket....:roflhard:

:??

Am pretty, not smart....*smiles*

As I see it, there are people who can write patterns/music/books etc...and there are people that can follow/read such things.

I can follow a pattern...(though former posts would suggest otherwise) but I can't transpose thoughts from my head to the page, or transfer them to paper. As long as it says what it is supposed to...I will get through it...

MMario
04-06-2010, 10:46 AM
It's not "smart" versus "not smart"; it's just different abilities; different viewpoints; different approaches.

Wierdly - one can sometimes look at one's own work and "see" what one intended - instead of what is actually written. (As I have seen, to my humiliation, over and over and over. Did you know 1 + 2 = 4?)

That is where having OTHER PEOPLE as proof readers, proof knitters and testers comes in incredibly handy.

lissaplus2
04-06-2010, 11:00 AM
As long as it says what it is supposed to...I will get through it...

Thats why i have you, to make sure it says what it is supposed to...LOL

did you get the new chart?

Crycket
04-06-2010, 11:36 AM
I did get the new chart...and I will be back on it like a fat kid on Smarties just after my shower....*smiles*

Thanks MMario...*smiles* I wasn't actually putting myself down...I just always liked the saying "I am pretty, not smart" when it came to things I don't understand...*smiles*....

Lissaplus2 - yep!

lissaplus2
04-06-2010, 11:40 AM
:aww: Ok Yall, I did some swatching due to Mario's pushing....LOL Thank You!!!:notworthy: :muah: (keep pushing...i can be stubborn. My husband says he feels sorry for you....:))

The Center panel chart is wrong:aww: ...I have sent all of you a new corrected chart....
Mario..please review yours and see if there are any other oopppsss.

back on it like a fat kid on Smarties

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

MMario
04-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Luckily my "Y - Chromosome Handbook" has taught me

Even though the man is always wrong; on (exceedingly) rare occasions the wrong way can be the correct path.

I am really hoping that sometime in the near future I can with great pride point to a magazine and say "Hey! I know the designer!"

Crycket
04-06-2010, 01:06 PM
ok...back to row 6, life line back in...and about to use the new and improved row 7 for the first time.....

*crosses her fingers*

MMario
04-06-2010, 01:39 PM
Go Crycket!

MMario - who needs to finish a shawl, and start the boring samples for a closs in May.

Crycket
04-06-2010, 02:06 PM
ok...gotten past the dreaded 7th row, and it seemed to go smoothly (once I realized I was on the wrong chart and moved to the correct one...TGFLL)

Now on to the next set of rows where I will hopefully be able to tell if it looks right in context....

MMario
04-06-2010, 03:05 PM
YEA!!!!!!!!! (Doing the Kermit crazy dance with arms waving)

Crycket
04-06-2010, 03:07 PM
LOL....ah...you made me miss Jim Hensen!

lissaplus2
04-06-2010, 03:53 PM
I did tell you to throw those others away first....

PICTURES....I NEED PICTURES..

Crycket
04-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Whether you did or not was not relative to my problem, I had them in my downloads file folder and I opened the wrong one. I am looking at the paper copy which is fine, but I used the wrong chart copy to see the C4F instructions, so I didn't have to move my stickies....I know...I am lazy!

You will get pics when I get my first pattern done! I am on Row 14....hold your horses woman!! *smiles*

MMario
04-06-2010, 04:09 PM
OT:

a co-worker/former boss used to work with Jim Henson.
They both did some projects for Disney
The tales he tells of Jim and Kermit are incredible....

Crycket
04-06-2010, 04:14 PM
See...that is a dream I could have...I would love to work with Jim Hensons muppet shop...however there are two problems with that dream...

I am lazy and am not willing to move to London, New York or California to work for it...and more importantly I lack the time machine to be able to go back and work for the man while he was alive!!

*sigh* Oh well...I did meet someone who worked on Fraggle Rock, which was cool....but....It was a short meeting..it is really cool you have that 2nd degree of separation thing going on...

Crycket
04-06-2010, 04:54 PM
and for her next trick, Crycket will preform the dreaded 19th row, followed by dinner preparations...

Be Dazzled..

Be Afraid...

Be VERY Afraid...

dun dun dun.....

MMario
04-06-2010, 04:59 PM
*gasp*

the tension mounts.....

the crowd is on the edge of their seats!

I can't LOOK!

Will it work? Will she be able to work row 21?

Stay tuned.......

(and now a word from our sponser) (cue music)

lissaplus2
04-06-2010, 05:27 PM
no need for apoligies for being silly...
we need all the silly we can get..

I want to know how Crycket feels about her work now? Is it smoother and easy to work? are things falling into place better? I, by far, wanted this to be frustrating for you...i know it was yesterday, but how about now?
( :tap: waiting for a picture):teehee:

AMAZING how one stitch can throw the whole thing off.

Also, I seem to have lost dimpledapple....?

Crycket
04-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Yes...far less frustraiting than yesterday! Going much smoother...and I was even able to work out two of my problems without having to tear back....

I might have photos tonight...but more likely tomorrow...I still need to get that 19th row done, and my back could use a bit of a rest...

"I, by far, wanted this to be frustrating for you..."??!!?? Now I see how you operate!!!

lissaplus2
04-06-2010, 05:40 PM
"I, by far, wanted this to be frustrating for you..."??!!?? Now I see how you operate!!!

That ment, I DIDNT want this to be frustrating...geezz :)

im going to make supper before i get into more trouble...

lissaplus2
04-06-2010, 06:33 PM
You know your addicted when you check back every 10-15 min or so to see if anyone has said anything.....:roflhard:

And when you file your nails just because your snagging the yarn....:teehee:

Crycket
04-06-2010, 06:47 PM
well....you want to know how my day went...?

Knit a row, check back, tend to my city (yes I am playing Sim City)
Knit a row, check back, tend to my city, check on my farmville game...wash rinse repeat. Except for the one time I went to spray my stinging nettle with Round up....

lissaplus2
04-06-2010, 06:50 PM
im on farmville...add me (http://www.facebook.com/lissaplus2)

trying to get my master signs right now...and then the coop stuff...life is ruff???:)

Crycket
04-06-2010, 07:04 PM
added...as a friend anyway....

Yeah...working on a co-op thing right now....

lissaplus2
04-06-2010, 07:12 PM
ok i got to get to knitting...i have an order due tommorow and its not done.

Its a summer tank top and im on the shaping of the boobs(can i say that?)...and then the straps, im done. So not far, but not done.

I take breaks and check in every hour or so...so if you need anything, ill be here....eventually.

Im really happy things are going well now. :cheering:

Melissa

Crycket
04-06-2010, 07:14 PM
don't get too comfortable...row 19 is really bugging the crap out of me...First time I got 77 sts...second time I ended with 79, third time I seemed to be a stitch sort...just waiting to see what this time yields....

*smiles* Love Life Lines...very happy this one is right under row 19

Crycket
04-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Hazzah..got it on the 4th try!!

Crycket
04-06-2010, 07:28 PM
and the simcitizans go wild at their mayors acheivements...now that mayor has hit row 21, she is going to go play some World of Warcraft, and maybe cross stitch a bit, to give her neck a break...and perhaps stop talking in third person...

lissaplus2
04-06-2010, 08:13 PM
lol i always stopped at the end of the pattern repeat. with great accomplishment that i got another one done!!

I hope your citizens are happy with you!! I am.

off to knit:knitting:

Dimpledapple
04-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Not lost, just on loan during the day to my boss. But as soon as I get home, I'm all over that shawl.

By the way, I hadn't been able to check KH until now and then I noticed we were on page 6 of the thread and had a minor panic attack. Random thoughts that crossed my mind:

Crycket's all done and I've barely started!
Melissa's decided to throw in a random twist to the challenge a la Project Runway
They're conspiring against me... :oo:

Can you tell it's been a long and painful day at work?

no need for apoligies for being silly...
we need all the silly we can get..

I want to know how Crycket feels about her work now? Is it smoother and easy to work? are things falling into place better? I, by far, wanted this to be frustrating for you...i know it was yesterday, but how about now?
( :tap: waiting for a picture):teehee:

AMAZING how one stitch can throw the whole thing off.

Also, I seem to have lost dimpledapple....?

Crycket
04-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Goodness no...I am nowhere near done...not even at the end of the first pattern repeat.....

don't panic!

lissaplus2
04-06-2010, 08:49 PM
Dimpledapple....make sure you get the new chart i emailed to you...the other one is wrong.

Glad to see your still with us! :grphug: i was worried.

Crycket
04-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Ok...finished my first pattern repeat, so as I promised...here is your first proper pic. I have decided that working without the demands of my Sims is probably better....I was able to work the last couple rows without frustration.

I also remembered that I had a KP magnetic folder, which solved my sticky note problem! :cheering:

The only problem now is I will want to re orient the way the page is printed so I can use the folder properly.

so without further ado...

I like the way the sock yarn in the crochet cast on changed colour for me mid way...it makes it a kind of nice reference point for the middle of the pattern!

lissaplus2
04-06-2010, 10:47 PM
WHOOOO HOOOO!!!!!:woot:

WOW that looks MUCH better!!
and it seems like you did it much easier too. What do you think of the chart now that you dont have issues?
BTW: The error that was found today was a missing yo, I was looking at my master chart today, its there. I just didnt put it on the PDF chart. Its there now, but geezzz i could have saved you a WHOLE lot of agony if i had of not missed that....sorry.

VERY NICE!!!

Thank You

Crycket
04-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Oh cool...So it was an error...yeah! There is purpose to my frustrations!

I think my problem was simply distraction. I don't put in my lifelines until about 6 rows, so I had a few times where I was off a stitch and pulled it back all the way...a whole pile of times.

Hitting that 7th row makes me feel better now though...it wasn't just a silly mistake! So I am happy I went back and fixed it.

I have a dumb request...Would you be able to do me a portrait view chart? The magnetic thing I use is like an 8 1/2 x 11 that folds in half. It might be easier to use the chart if I can fold the paper in half and see the whole thing.

If not, don't trouble yourself...I will make it work.

lissaplus2
04-07-2010, 12:11 AM
Check your email....Mayor Crycket....LOL

Crycket
04-07-2010, 12:19 AM
Sweet...that will do nicely! I can't say that other people will need/want it that way...it is just what will be easier. Have you seen that neat little thing KP has...the little folder magnetic thing...this way, I can fold the pattern in half, and prop the board up!

I couldn't find a way to do it with just the printer settings or else I might have done it myself! I feel bad making a request for such a petty thing...*smiles*

Either way...thanks Captain!

lissaplus2
04-07-2010, 12:22 AM
Have you seen that neat little thing KP has...the little folder magnetic thing...this way, I can fold the pattern in half, and prop the board up!

this is what i use....landscape view, i can see the whole thing and just move the strip up.

im to the straps on my tank...bbl

Dimpledapple
04-07-2010, 01:32 AM
GAH!!! I had to rip out twice because I kept ending up with an extra stitch. I finally figured out that I was repeating the selvedge stitch somewhere along row six. :doh: It's been a long day. I think I'll be heading on to bed now. Shawl, meet me at my couch for round 2 tomorrow morning...

lissaplus2
04-07-2010, 01:49 AM
Good night Ladies........:sleepy:

Crycket
04-07-2010, 09:47 AM
GAH!!! I had to rip out twice because I kept ending up with an extra stitch. I finally figured out that I was repeating the selvedge stitch somewhere along row six. :doh: It's been a long day. I think I'll be heading on to bed now. Shawl, meet me at my couch for round 2 tomorrow morning...

LOL...ok...now I don't feel so noobish....

Crycket
04-07-2010, 01:47 PM
see...I think that was my problem all along, I moved myself to the living room and put on a little BNL, and I am moving fine *knock on wood*....

I just needed to be more comfortable I guess...with less then 160000 less sims placing demands on me....*smiles*

MMario
04-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Somewhere in the multi-verse there are 160,000 sim citizens believing their goddess/director has abandoned them.......

woe!

Crycket
04-07-2010, 02:42 PM
LOL....yes...the emptiness that must be ensuing....I will have to drop in and make them believe once more....

lissaplus2
04-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Soooo.....howz everybody doin???

Crycket
04-07-2010, 08:26 PM
ah...that sounded so lonely...*smiles*

I am two rows away from the end of my second pattern repeat. It would have been done except I just got back from Pathfinders, and I am not taking lace knitting when I am going to talking to 12-14 year old girls...it is way too distracting...*winks*

Dimpledapple
04-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Go Crycket, go Crycket! :happydance: I finished my first pattern repeat this morning so I think it's safe to say that round 2 went to me - ha! Still at the office, but will get back to it tonight. Lisa, did you get to finish your tank?

Crycket
04-07-2010, 09:25 PM
yes...but you had the advantage of starting after row seven was fixed...*smiles*

Dimpledapple
04-07-2010, 09:44 PM
Oh, absolutely! If you hadn't been on top of it, then I wouldn't have started with a corrected chart and would currently be huddled in a corner crying. By the way, when I say round 2 went to me, I'm referring to me v. shawl. Round 1 was last night when it kicked my *** :thud:

Crycket
04-07-2010, 09:50 PM
I am not happy the shawl was kicking your butt...but I am glad I am not the only one...

If it makes you feel any better...it went much smoother after that first pattern,...but as Murphy and his damn law dictates, any time I missed a yo today...it was usually right at the beginning of a row, that I would find after the row back...meaning I was tinking 2 rows...*sigh*.

I am telling ya...I am an expert at counting to 78....

Dimpledapple
04-07-2010, 10:25 PM
LOL!! Oh yeah, I too am becoming very familiar with the number 78... I've had to rip back again because I jumped my place on the chart and everything got skewed to the left. Would you look at us? A couple of noobs I tells ya...

Crycket
04-08-2010, 12:12 AM
The nice thing is now, I can identify where the error is and TINK back. And every 6 rows I move my life line. Which is nice, cause I always end up with a life line just before row 7 and 19. For some reason I have not yet gotten either of those right on on the first try!

lissaplus2
04-08-2010, 04:59 AM
Im sorry, i totally crashed out last night. I had a long day.
I got done, and delivered my tank yesterday. ty for asking.
Its cool yall are "moving right along" tho.

It will get easier, you will be able to do it with your eyes closed with another pattern repeat or two....well maybe not...but much easier than before. Its sooooo important that you READ your knitting...you can avoid errors that way. or at least fix them before it gets too far.

You guys rock!!!!

MMario
04-08-2010, 09:56 AM
OH MY! When you say you missed a yarnover, do you mean you missed the yarnover AND the decrease or just the yarnover?

If the latter, you can just pick up the yarn from BETWEEN the stitches aND IT MAKES A YARNOVER.

Crycket
04-08-2010, 10:53 AM
hmmm....you really know how to make a girl feel dumb you know! *smiles* yeah...the problem with just missing the yo, is that the other stitches seem to be working correctly....

Dimpledapple
04-08-2010, 11:58 AM
hmmm....you really know how to make a girl feel dumb you know! *smiles* yeah...the problem with just missing the yo, is that the other stitches seem to be working correctly....

Very true! I was totally guilty of the missed yo's last night (I think round 3 went to the shawl). It's definitely gotten easier, though. I suspect I really struggled at first because I can't see a pattern emerging until I'm a couple of rows in on a project, so it's hard for me to gauge whether or not I've made a mistake.

kgcrafter
04-08-2010, 12:17 PM
I am usually a lurker, but would have loved to have gotten in on this test knit. Since I don't usually post, I can't even send an IM with my email on it! So I'll enjoy watching while the rest of you work the pattern.
Kathy

MMario
04-08-2010, 12:59 PM
That's okay - last night I forgot what I was doing (on another piece) and forgot to work 3 yarnovers.....plus forgot 26 decreases.....I can fix them on the next row, but I'm going to have to pay attention - a LOT of attention.....I already fixed the yarnovers - and THEN realized I'd forgotton the decreases on the entire second half of the shawl.

(The pattern has half the creases worked on the RS row Following the yarnovers, and half on the same row)

lissaplus2
04-08-2010, 02:20 PM
kgcrafter Heres my email.... lissaplus2@yahoo.com

send me a message with "Harvest Shawl Test Knit in the message line and ill send you the pattern... promise you will come and join us in conversation about it tho?

kgcrafter
04-08-2010, 03:11 PM
Thank you so much for including me! I've sent you an email!
Kathy

Crycket
04-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Yay...another tester! How exciting!

I am on 2.5 pattern repeat and I just switched balls using a felted join...Hazzah....

MMario - wow...that sounds like a ride!

lissaplus2
04-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Everyone say hi to Kathy!! Shes gonna be joining you guys in testing!!

Kathy, the testers have already found some mistakes (ty)so your comming in late, isnt nessesarily(sp?) a bad thing...LOL

WELCOME!!

kgcrafter
04-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Hi everyone! Hope I can keep up with all of you more experienced knitters! Melissa, I got the pattern and it opened fine. I have it printed and will start on it tonight or tomorrow morning. I am so excited to get to knit this beautiful shawl! Thank you so much for including me in the group!
Kathy

lissaplus2
04-08-2010, 04:24 PM
We are having a good time (i think) the more the merrier!!

If anyone else wants to join...send me a private with your email so I can send you the pattern, and your in!!!

I would ask that the testing be done by the first part of May, so please be sure you have time to work on it before you join.

Thanks again!!
Melissa

Crycket
04-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Welcome *hugs*

We are hear to help, and vent frustraition, and get a little crazy when you are feeling a little punchy!

I have to say, this test knit is more like a therapy group! I am so glad I have jumped in with both feet, aside from the frustraition, I am having a great time...especially chatting with everyone!!

Crycket
04-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Woo hoo...done my third pattern repeat...the goal is to finish one a day...or more....*cheer*

lissaplus2
04-08-2010, 07:30 PM
WOO HOOOOO :cheering: :happydance:

lissaplus2
04-08-2010, 09:11 PM
Kathy, did you cast on yet??

Who remembers their prom? (weird question i know, just go with it:))

Crycket
04-08-2010, 10:01 PM
We don't have a "prom" in Canada...it is called a Formal, but same deal...I am only 30, so I remember it quite well...*smiles*

lissaplus2
04-08-2010, 10:20 PM
I was asking because I am DJ'n a prom this Saturday...was gonna see if anyone could tell me what they would have liked to seen at their prom, that didnt happen...(that could happen at a prom...get your mind outta the gutter!!!)

I realize that the age difference is big...but prom is prom...lol

Right at the moment im just gonna play music. But I would like to make these kids' night amazing....(besides the extra-curicular activities that i have absolutly nothing to do with...that will occur right about time for prom to end, and long into the night/morning.)

should i play games? if so....what?

Any suggestions?

oh and back on topic....howz everyones knitting?

Crycket
04-08-2010, 10:38 PM
We had games...but I think they were run by the student council. We had a best dressed guy/girl (I won best dressed *beams*)...king/queen....etc. Then some other stuff I kinda zoned out for cause I was totally not up for it...

for me, I could never get enough slow dances in...but I was never much for fast dancing. I was trying to get in a dance with any guy I had a crush on. I might have gotten like half.

Prizes are cool...everyone is usually feeling pretty good...so long as they go by close enough and target everyone. I hated some of the prizes they gave out...like most athletic etc...things that made sure only the popular kids were getting stuff.

Meh...I hope that helped...

lissaplus2
04-09-2010, 12:34 AM
Hey yall, we have another victim...i mean tester...:)

Her name is Sherry.

Welcome!!

becky77340
04-09-2010, 01:21 AM
Hi all, my name is Becky. I have not done any lace knitting so I really don't think I can help with test knitting but I am enjoying rooting yall on.:woohoo:
Is this something a new lace knitter could do? I have lots of time.......yall tell me is something I could do?????? I would love to try

lissaplus2
04-09-2010, 07:25 AM
Becky,
I belive that anyone can do anything if they are willing to. This is why I didnt put an experiance level on the pattern.

It also depends on how bad you want the goal.....

This pattern has lacework, knitted on border, and advanced grafting...you can find out how do to any of that if you want to.

I wouldnt start it if you get frustrated easily, but if you are hard headed(like me) and are determined (like Crycket)....or just interested in learning lace.....(i dont recomend this piece for a lace starter) but we'll take ya....

What do yall think?

MMario
04-09-2010, 08:23 AM
I probably wouldn't reccomend it for a first timer; but in my opinion, for anyone who has both a first lace and a first cable experience under their belt this is appropriate.

lissaplus2
04-09-2010, 08:39 AM
why do i keep forgeting about that dam cable??? lol

Crycket
04-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Gosh...with my 7 pages of complaining I am surprized people are joining in...but very happy! Welcome! *LOL*

MMario
04-09-2010, 09:58 AM
You were the pioneer, blazing the trail, clearing the way for those behind you; discovering the passage across and over the mountains of confusion and the morass of confusion....opening the way for eager knitters to ....

oh heck, lost my train of thought....but it was a good metaphor.

Freyja
04-09-2010, 10:00 AM
Crycket, I believe we love the challenge.:teehee:

I just printed the pdf this morning. :muah:

I am going to knit Harvest in burnt red alpaca lace weight on size US#6.
This will give me a smaller shawl but I like shawl widths in the mid to high 20's and the length in the mid 70's.

lissaplus2
04-09-2010, 10:14 AM
You were the pioneer, blazing the trail, clearing the way for those behind you; discovering the passage across and over the mountains of confusion and the morass of confusion....opening the way for eager knitters to ....

Common Mario....this was some good stuff!!! I was about to stand up and applaud. I could hear the music behind your talking and everything....:pout:

lissaplus2
04-09-2010, 10:18 AM
I am going to knit Harvest in burnt red alpaca lace weight on size US#6.
This will give me a smaller shawl but I like shawl widths in the mid to high 20's and the length in the mid 70's.

Im not sure how it will knit up in lace weight, because of the difference in yarn weights, it may be smaller anyway on the regular needles. Be sure you do the gauge swatch before you start and play with needle size....i think i would go with maybe a 7 or so....but its what you like.
but im excited to see...be sure to post pics along the way!!!

Crycket---yours isnt lace weight is it?
I know you were thinking about it...that pic doesnt look like it....you prob told me this already...

speaking of pics....
ITS PICTURE TIME!!!!!
Everyone stop what they are doing...(or get to the end of the row) and take a picture and post it!
This is gonna be GREAT!!
i cant wait!!

You too Mario...i wanna see what your doin too. :drool:
For the new folks...MMario is our tecnical adviser...a consultant, a professional knitter of LACE!!!!
We (I) are happy to have him with us thro this wonderful, frustrating, pain in the.....ummm...journey to the end of this beautiful shawl...LOL and might i add its a beautiful model too??

Crycket
04-09-2010, 11:13 AM
I ended up having enough of something I suspect is fingering weight. So, in the end I went with "fingering" weight Luxury Alpaca Cashmere. I asked for yarn for my wedding shower, and I got 3 bags of yarns that Diamond supplies. That was one of them....

I am however using a 5mm needle instead of a 5.5mm

Crycket
04-09-2010, 11:17 AM
And without further ado...

What is the easiest way to make pictures smaller, I have been using Kodak Easy share and saving the pics as "Best for Web" is there an easier way?

kgcrafter
04-09-2010, 11:19 AM
I casted on with some practice yarn and worked 3 rows. My problem is that I can't get enough of the Kroy yarn to make the shawl and I don't have enough in my stash. So I settled for what I can get at the moment. Wool makes me itch so I chose Premier Coral in teal. It's a number 2 yarn instead of a number 1. Hope it will work okay. I could order the Kroy but it would put me another week behind. Bear with me! I really want to make this shawl!
Kathy

lissaplus2
04-09-2010, 11:21 AM
:notworthy: :clink: THAT....is awsome!!! also an understatement...couldnt come up with words Crycket!! WOW...just wow.

I use Kodak easy share too...save it best for web...sorry no help here.

lissaplus2
04-09-2010, 11:26 AM
Kathy- So do you have enough yarn in the Premier?

Not sure what the weight of that yarn is...wouldnt go much over a fingering....

so you did 3 rows?? what do ya think?

Crycket
04-09-2010, 11:38 AM

oh heck, lost my train of thought....but it was a good metaphor.

The other problem was that I was building cities, vast and wide. Establishing order and subways systems, creating suburb communities...and well...generally leading sim citizens to a brighter future..*lol*

kgcrafter
04-09-2010, 11:43 AM
The skeins have 284 yds and I bought 5 of them! I figure if I have a lot left over, I'll make a pair of socks!
So far I'm loving the pattern! Thanks to those that paved the way, it is going smoothly. I'm getting ready to cast on the new yarn. I'll let you know if it's going to work.
Kathy

MMario
04-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Can't wait to see this blocked.

becky77340
04-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Ok..... I am home all of the time with nothing to do.....long story. I just may dive into the deep in of the pool. If just take it slow one step at a time I should be able to do this. That and lots of lifelines. Now to go stash diving to see if I have the right type yarn......or Oh My Gosh I may have to to the LYS and get some yarn.....I am so sad about that. If yall don't mind lots of questions I am going to try this. What do yall think?:cool:

Crycket
04-09-2010, 02:40 PM
I am up for the challenge if you are!

This has got to be one of the most fun threads ever!!

becky77340
04-09-2010, 02:56 PM
That is what kept me coming back to read and then take part in it. I will learn lots and lots.:grphug:

Dimpledapple
04-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Yay, more knitters!! :cheering: I can't check the thread as often as I'd like during the day, but I love catching up when I get home. I finished my second repeat last night and started my third one this morning. What can I say, I'm a night and weekend knitter. Also, I still can't find my camera cable, but I could draw you a picture if you really want one... ;)

becky77340
04-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Ok I have been stash diving. I have 900 yds of blue alpaca silk just slightly heavier than a fingering wt. Then I have Cashsoft DK 900 yds. Will either one of these work?

lissaplus2
04-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Another tester!!:cheering:

Say hi to Becky:waving:

Yall take her under your wings now, shes new to knitting lace and wants to try.

Im not sure why she would jump in both feet on a test knit....but hey...we can help her cant we gang?

Good Luck Becky!!

lissaplus2
04-09-2010, 04:36 PM
900yds isnt enough...ROAD TRIP to the lys!! get 1200yds (ish) of FINGERING WEIGHT. I want you to have a nice fuffy cushion...the last thing you need to worry about is "do i have enough yarn??"

Dimpledapple
04-09-2010, 04:59 PM
900yds isnt enough...ROAD TRIP to the lys!!

Oh, you enabler... :teehee:

becky77340
04-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Oh now this just breaks my heart ........ I will be going first thing in the morning......hmmmmmm wonder what else I can find on my trip?:teehee:

Crycket
04-09-2010, 05:39 PM
ok...done my 3rd repeat and am about a 1/4 though the 4th...yay!

lissaplus2
04-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Oh, you enabler...
do what i can....

Go Crycket, Go, Crycket, its your birthday!! Not really, PARTY ANYWAY!!! :clink:

I would like to extend my happiest wishes to EVERYONE on their UNbirthday today!!!

Dimpledapple
04-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Oh, Becky, you poor unfortunate soul... I'm sure there must be a support group for people like you :mrgreen:

I think I've finally found my groove! I've been doing more knitting than tinking and frogging! :woohoo: Let's hope I haven't jinxed myself...

Crycket
04-09-2010, 11:02 PM
I think I've finally found my groove! I've been doing more knitting than tinking and frogging! :woohoo: Let's hope I haven't jinxed myself...

Yeah...me to....I was 1/4 faster today than I was yesterday. I can also tell now if I am working into a wrong stitch. Sadly though, i am relying on my posts to remind me what pattern I am on....I am currently knitting though the 4th. Remember that when I am complaining that I am out of yarn and on my 21 repeat of the pattern!

Dimpledapple
04-09-2010, 11:29 PM
:rofl: Maybe Melissa can publish her pattern with a series of appendices to keep the knitters sane:

Appendix A: Learning how to avoid rookie mistakes and the proper coping mechanisms for when you inevitably make them.

Appendix B: Charts and tables to calculate the number of hours put into your project and successfully incorporating the amount of work done while tinking and frogging. Ripping back because of newbie mistakes counts double (see Appendix A).

Appendix C: Resources that facilitate proper venting (ie KH) so as to avoid going on a murderous rampage because you ran out of yarn on Row 21 of the last pattern repeat.

lissaplus2
04-10-2010, 06:46 AM
I could totally add that to the abbreviations page....:)

Everyone chime in here....

where you at on the knitting?

becky77340
04-10-2010, 09:48 AM
Ok yall I havn't gtten my yarn yet and I am hyperventalating (?sp) just reading the pattern. It is a good thing that I really have lots of time on my hands cause I am just going very slow and carefully or I think I may go mad. Maybe I am crazy to try this but I love the pattern and really want to make it.

So have I lost my mind?:rofl:

Crycket
04-10-2010, 10:18 AM
You are fine...I don't think we need to add anything. I almost made myself written instructions rather than charted...but that is because I had gotten used to them written out. But actually, as I have been puttering along, the chart is just as easy...actually probably easier!

Becky7730 - don't start panicking til you start the work....heck...don't even panic while you are doing the work. Like all knitting, reading to far into a pattern doesn't make too much sense cause often times, it doesn't make sense til you are actually doing it. If you are having trouble with any of the abbr. Go to the vids page here on KH. There should be a vid for anything you need help with, except the crochet cast on...go to Youtube for that!

kgcrafter
04-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Good Morning! My other yarn didn't work. So I'm back to square one with a new sock yarn. I hate not having a LYS to go to!
I have a question. I have read and re-read the link about the YO's. Am I right in thinking that when you do the next K and P row, you knit or purl through the back stitch if the back leg of the yo is out front and through the front of the stitch when it is out front? I'm confusing myself! I thought I had this licked but I don't! Before I changed yarns, it just didn't look right to me. Help please!
Kathy

lissaplus2
04-10-2010, 11:57 AM
I THINK that is right...im not totally understanding the question...sorry. Did you do the yo's while reading the link?

can anyone else help?

kgcrafter
04-10-2010, 12:13 PM
I'm not surprised you didn't get the question. Not sure if I could explain it any better. Maybe I'll just try it again. Never give up! Thanks!
Kathy

Crycket
04-10-2010, 12:25 PM
I read the yo link...and there was something in there about taking short cuts over the needle when going from a KyoP, I couldn't do it....I just followed the KH vid for that....wrap under then carry though til you have your yarn at the front.

That is part of the reason I had so much trouble starting. In the end...the KH instuctions work fine. Although it should be said, the link instructions are very well done...

kgcrafter
04-10-2010, 12:46 PM
I think that is what had me confused... the shortcut. On the even rows, do you knit and purl through the front or back leg of the yo's?
Just a note. I had never done the crochet cast on either. But I'm getting good at it :thumbsup:
Thanks for the help, Crycket!
Kathy

becky77340
04-10-2010, 02:22 PM
I am now back from LYS and have some beautiful yarn. I am now going to ball the hanks and start watching video's. Wish me luck.

Dimpledapple
04-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Some of the shortcut yo's (the ones where you went from a knit stitch to a purl stitch) will be twisted so you need to work those through the back leg. The others you should knit/purl through the front leg. Is that what you were asking?

I've used the shortcuts (thanks, Melissa!) and I really like how they look. I can never get matching yo's the other way so I'm definitely pleased. It was hard reading the twisted ones at first, but I think I've gotten the hang of it!

On a depressing note, my cable snapped off, so I lost all my work on repeat 3 :waah: Note to self, add a lifeline every 6 rows...

kgcrafter
04-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Yes that was the answer I was looking for, so once again I get to frog what I have. At this rate, I won't have anything done at all by May 1st :wall: Try, try again!
Kathy

Crycket
04-10-2010, 03:33 PM
I think that is what had me confused... the shortcut. On the even rows, do you knit and purl through the front or back leg of the yo's?

Kathy

if you are doing the short cuts, on the even rows, where you have pulled the yo over the needle between a KyoP then you are KTBL on the even side.

For me, I kept missing some of them visually on the way back and was always short a stitch or two, so I went back to the non short cut version, and I have been sailing ever since!

On a depressing note, my cable snapped off, so I lost all my work on repeat 3 Note to self, add a lifeline every 6 rows...

Oh yes...I was moving it every 6 rows, til now, I have started every 12, but always right under the 7th and 19th row, just in case....

Ok...just about to start my 6th pattern repeat...and third ball of yarn!!

becky77340
04-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Ok here goes the first stupid question.......for the cast on do I use the same weight yarn or can I use kitchen cotton?:aww:

Dimpledapple
04-10-2010, 04:34 PM
There's no such thing as a stupid question! I don't think you need the exact same weight just as long as it's somewhat close. Your kitchen cotton should be fine -- you're going to be pulling it out anyhow. I tend to favor smooth yarn, like cotton, that will undo easily and that won't leave any fuzzy residue on my actual working yarn.

Freyja
04-10-2010, 04:56 PM
I Love this video for doing PCO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3J-sUx_whE&feature=related).
I use a similar weight yarn. I tried to embed the video but it wouldn't work. Got it!
R3J-sUx_whE

Crycket
04-10-2010, 07:59 PM
Ok...at 6.5 patterns...almost half way with the centre panel!!

kgcrafter
04-10-2010, 08:59 PM
It's taken me all day plus all your help to have an "Aha" moment! I've finally got it :woot: So hopefully I am on my way! I have 4 nice looking rows and it's going much more smoothly now. Hope to have one pattern done by bedtime. Wish me luck! :knitting:
Kathy

Crycket
04-10-2010, 09:50 PM
*knock on wood*

kgcrafter
04-10-2010, 09:56 PM
And put in a lifeline just in case! :mrgreen:

Kathy

becky77340
04-10-2010, 10:48 PM
I now have all of yarn in cakes, learned the cast on. Have cast on and gotten 3 rows done so I am off and running!:woot:

Crycket
04-10-2010, 11:03 PM
Feels good doesn't it!

Freyja
04-11-2010, 12:30 AM
One down :knitting: am into two.

Crycket
04-11-2010, 10:12 AM
I was wrong yesterday, I was on 5.5, not 6.5...but still...should hopefully be half way by today!

kgcrafter
04-11-2010, 11:37 AM
How far did the rest of you have to knit before the pattern pops out at you? I think one of my yo's is out of place at the beginning, so I guess I'm looking at frogging again. I'm not discouraged though. I'm still plugging along!
Kathy

Freyja
04-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Lace weight
US #5
Pattern done twice
16" wide
4.5" for one repeat
Set markers ever 10,9,9,10...
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4027/4511802570_63cf1ba174.jpg

Crycket
04-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Lace weight
US #5
Pattern done twice
16" wide
4.5" for one repeat
Set markers ever 10,9,9,10...
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4027/4511802570_63cf1ba174.jpg

:cheering:

lissaplus2
04-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Freyja--VERY nice!!!:yay:

I love the color too!!!

Crycket--did you make it to half yet?

kgcrafter--I would think you would see the pattern within 10-12 rows...if that..

Dimpledapple----did you find your camera cord yet??? im almost gonna send you mine.....your KILLIN me here...i wanna see pics!!

becky77340--How you doin???

Sorry ive been MIA...but ive been involved lately. Ill try to get in here more often...Looks like yall dont need me tho....:pout:
I guess thats a good thing...it means ive written the pattern right...besides a couple of the things that Crycket found already....

Im anticipating some hesitation on the border tho...I dont feel ive written the directions clear enough...I hope i have, but its a concern of mine...

did we loose MMario?

Crycket
04-11-2010, 04:59 PM
I am almost at half....That was my goal line for the end of today.

I was wondering where MMario got off to aswell!

How did the Prom go?

becky77340
04-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Hi everyone,
Freyja that is just beautiful. I am going real slow and very deliberate. If that makes any since. I have froged twice but that is ok I am learning from my mistakes. I do believe I am going to put makers after the repeats. Count after each repeat. But I am having fun with it.
Hey Crycket I got the recipe you put up, it sounds so good I can't wait to try it.

Oh and every9one just call me Becky;)

Crycket
04-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Officially just past the half way point on the centre piece!!! *happy dance*

Becky, yeah...I got two chops sitting in the fridge right now, they have been marinading for about 24 hrs and we are having them tomorrow night, so another 24 to go. I highly recommend giving them the most time possible, they come out soooooooo good!

Funny, I actually had to go and measure out everything cause I usually just slop everything together without measuring.

I just made home made mayo today...that was interesting. Not completely happy with the way it came out, so I am going to try again tomorrow...I love recipezaar!

lissaplus2
04-11-2010, 10:34 PM
Prom went well, I think. The kids all told me I was a fun DJ. Their sponsor told me the adults were impressed. I was ready to get out of there.

Howz everyone tonight? Anything goin on?

Crycket
04-11-2010, 10:41 PM
not too much...just getting back to my cross stitch for a bit!

Made some mayo today, and couldn't figure out why it tasted strange, turns out, the pickle jar I had used to keep it in, still smelt like pickles, and now my mayo has a pickleish taste to it....

But that is completely off topic!

Anticipating getting to the edges! I am now half way!...

Oh and join my tomato co-op on facebook...

lissaplus2
04-11-2010, 11:18 PM
We are gonna have to coordinate...im doin stir fry.

I bet people are wonderin what the hell we are talking about...LOL

This has NOTHING to do with knitting.

Im getting ready to crochet some loops on a pair of flip flops out of novelty yarn...kinda railroad yarn..but its not nylon. and not fun fur...(imma do those next...LOL) I'm gonna put them in the shop to sell...Then im gonna make a pair with some rockish looking beads and other stuff. kind of a hoge poge of stuff.
Then im gonna knit some flip flop socks....only goes to the arch and no toes..just some fabric between the big toe and the next big toe...LOL should go fast.
Trying to think summer for my consignment stuff. any other ideas?

thats what im doin craft wise.

Freyja
04-12-2010, 08:48 AM
How about page numbers on the pdf?
Not a big deal but a nice touch.

MMario
04-12-2010, 09:13 AM
HI all;

This forum is one of my "weekdays" sites; I am rarely here on the weekends.

Nice to "see" everyone's progress.

and WAy to Go, Becky!!!!!

PS: I'm greening up the town square (or whatever it's called; Morning glories)

lissaplus2
04-12-2010, 09:40 AM
How about page numbers on the pdf?
Not a big deal but a nice touch

Good Idea!! I will do that.

Nice to see you again MMario!! add me (http://www.facebook.com/lissaplus2)

Crycket
04-12-2010, 09:55 AM
Add me too (http://www.facebook.com/#!/Crycketsplace?ref=profile)

becky77340
04-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Good Morning all. I am plugging along, had to frog agin last night, so I drank a couple glasses of wine. So I am going to start fresh today.:mrgreen:

becky77340
04-12-2010, 10:57 AM
Ok yall I seem to have lost the ability to count to 78!

MMario
04-12-2010, 11:46 AM
I have problems counting to two (no joke) so have a lot of sympathy.

@lissaplus2 & Crycket - tonite, tonite.....(unless I forget)

Crycket
04-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Ok yall I seem to have lost the ability to count to 78!

if it makes you feel any better...I was having panic attacks about how much yarn I have vs how far I had actually knit. Thankfully DH is the logical one and put it all right for me again!

:knitting: :sun:

becky77340
04-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Ok I look at this pattern and each stitch and I know how to make each stitch have done them in otheers things. How come I am having so much problem with them in this pattern. I really want to make this shawl....it is beautiful. Taking deep breathes and saying I think I can....I think I can.....!

MMario
04-12-2010, 01:53 PM
YOu can. You're psyching yourself out, when you should be psyching yourself up.

Take it one stitch at a time. Are you using markers for the various sections?

Dimpledapple
04-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Wow, talk about a busy Sunday! Congrats on all the progress, ladies :cheering: Becky, I totally feel your pain on the number 78... If I start dreaming about it, then you know it's time to cut me off :wink:

And I finally found my cable (it's about time, too!) so here's my first picture:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/4514264388_d10cf71f22.jpg

Have a nice day, everyone!

Freyja
04-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Way to go Dimpledapple.

lissaplus2
04-12-2010, 03:39 PM
becky77340---Chocolate...(and wine) thats all imma say...LOL

Crycket--give dh a big hug for me for straightening you out...(does he do this often? I couldnt walk straight if it wernt for my hubby.)

Dimpledapple--ITS ABOUT TIME!! btw, :woohoo: :inlove: beautiful!!
Is that the suggested yarn?

Kathy & Freyja---How are yall doin?

kgcrafter
04-12-2010, 03:47 PM
I am on row 24. I'm not happy with mine. I think it's the yarn but it doesn't really look all that much like all the ones posted. Maybe when it's blocked? Can't post a photo for you yet and I'm still in the market for some decent yarn! Going looking out of town for some tomorrow. Yarn I can change easier than I can change me. Melissa, are you going to send the knitting police if it's not done by May 1? Maybe you could send them early and they can tell me what I'm doing wrong?? :mrgreen:
Kathy

becky77340
04-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Kathy I am right there with ya! I seem to keep having 4 st left....not sure why
Becky

Dimpledapple
04-12-2010, 04:14 PM
It's KP's Bare Superwash Merino -- fingering weight. I went on a cable-hunting quest this weekend lest I cause you to have a coronary :teehee:

Kathy, I think it will look much nicer once it's blocked. I like to pin my projects out at the beginning (like Freyja did in her lovely pic) to kind of get an idea of what the FO will look like, but also to make sure I'm going in the right direction.

Ok, back to the grind...

Freyja
04-12-2010, 04:56 PM
I am on repeat 5 = 22.5" lace

Crycket
04-12-2010, 05:05 PM
I am almost done the 8th repeat!! Just attached my 4th ball!

kgcrafter
04-12-2010, 07:10 PM
I think my problem is the yarn. What I was using has a fuzz factor to it. Superwash. When I tried with a smoother yarn, it looks much better. I'll have to do some catching up, but first I have to go find more yarn tomorrow.
Way to go Crycket! :cheering: :yay: I'm way jealous!
Kathy

lissaplus2
04-12-2010, 07:14 PM
I'm way jealous!

Dont be, Crycket was the FIRST one to start test knitting on 4-3-10. You started on 4-08-10...5 days after her.... you will be fine...just dont frustrate yourself because you think your behind....

Melissa, are you going to send the knitting police if it's not done by May 1?
The long and short of it is...I would like all 5 of you to finish the shawl...reguardless of how long it takes...It will be great information for me to get feedback from all skill levels.
But I need as many of you as possible, to finish by the first part of May because I have a class on this pattern starting then. Please dont push yourself into crazy because you want to meet the "deadline"...This is also good information..how long, on average, it takes to complete the shawl.

From Idea on paper, to blocked shawl, it took me a month(ish). That is with working out as many kinks as possible...that does not mean you guys will.

Just relax and try to have a little bit of fun with this...dont stress....knitting is not supposed to be stressful.

Maybe you could send them early and they can tell me what I'm doing wrong??
Is there a way you could pin it out on a contrasting towel or something and take a picture...maybe we could help that way...
I seem to keep having 4 st left....
Make sure you are not picking up extra stitches on the first stitch after turning...if the working yarn is hanging on the back after you turn....it is pulling your first stitch the wrong way..and its highly likely that you will see what looks like 2 stitches when there should be one. Just one possiblility.

Another possibility is that you are knitting the selvege stitch when you go to repeat the stitch repeat. The stitches that are in yellow on the chart are to be knit only on the beginning and end.

There is something I have noticed I have done a few times, I usually only end up with 1 or 2 extra stitches, but each time I have, it was because I didn't completely pull the psso stitch (of k2tog psso fame) over the needle, making it an extra stitch. Just something to watch out for. After making that mistake several times, I starting paying more attention...
This too....ty Crycket!

I cannot stress enough....Read. your. knitting. Always pay attention to the row below the one your working...if you dont think that stitch goes there...or you think a stitch goes there and there isnt one...stop and look things over...

The problem with stitch counts, usually, not always, is those pesky yarn overs.....
I found in most cases, that i would forget or add a yarn over. If you find that you forgot a YO..
You can just pick up the working yarn where the yo was supposed to be and, viola, you have fixed the missing yo. If you have added one, fixing it depends on how anal you are, if you just drop it, you will have a baggy place in your knitting. I always ripped it to the problem and fixed it that way.

You guys are JUST PLAIN ANGELS for doing this for me and I cant put into words my true feelings....
Thank You.
Melissa

becky77340
04-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Ok I am going to start asking newbie questions because I seem not to be able to do this without them.

1st if I am going to put markers between sections how many markers do I use and where do I put them?

2nd I know I slip the first stitch of each row......do I knit or purl the last stitch? Or do I knit the purls and purl the knits?

I have not gotten past the 3rd row I am needing a s@@@ load of chocolate.....this is not good for a diabetic.:mrgreen:

Becky

Crycket
04-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Kathy I am right there with ya! I seem to keep having 4 st left....not sure why
Becky

There is something I have noticed I have done a few times, I usually only end up with 1 or 2 extra stitches, but each time I have, it was because I didn't completely pull the psso stitch (of k2tog psso fame) over the needle, making it an extra stitch. Just something to watch out for. After making that mistake several times, I starting paying more attention...

1st if I am going to put markers between sections how many markers do I use and where do I put them?

I would just have one, in between pattern sections. The pattern is only repeated twice. So smack dab right in the middle, if it is going to help you.

2nd I know I slip the first stitch of each row......do I knit or purl the last stitch? Or do I knit the purls and purl the knits?

I have been knitting or purling that last stitch as needed...for example, on the right side, always end on a knit and on the wrong side, purl....

lissaplus2
04-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Ok I am going to start asking newbie questions because I seem not to be able to do this without them.
Ask away!!

I did not use markers...so im prob not much help but i would think you would put a marker after the 39th st, to help you remember to repeat the 38 stitches...

You would knit on the RS, and Purl on the WS---
Should i put that on the chart somehow?
I have not gotten past the 3rd row I am needing a s@@@ load of chocolate.....this is not good for a diabetic.
Sugar free chocolate????

Crycket
04-12-2010, 09:36 PM
I have moved on to garlic pickles...

not for everyone...but hey...

For anyone who wants a really awesome snack though, Pretzel sticks in Nutella...now that is the ticket to something a little chocolate like...without being a bar of chocolate!

lissaplus2
04-12-2010, 09:48 PM
garlic pickles...:think:

Becky, how is ya? you still with us?

Crycket
04-12-2010, 10:00 PM
garlic pickles...:think:

I was in a savory mood :drool:

becky77340
04-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Oh yes I am still with you.......I want this shawl to bad to give up.... I am going to put it away tonight and start again in the morning. I just don't know if I will get it done by May 1. If it comes down to it I will schedule a private lesson at my LYS. That is how bad I want to knit lace. I knew I was jumping into the deep end of the pool in the beginning.

Becky

lissaplus2
04-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Where do you live?

Ill drive to ya...maybe..LOL

becky77340
04-12-2010, 10:37 PM
I live in southeastern Texas........come on down be glad to have
:yay: you

becky77340
04-12-2010, 10:39 PM
I can't seem to be able to type either......lol

Crycket
04-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Knitting is a series of knit and purls, no matter what you are working on.

The difference is between doing a standard project and and a lace one is that generally, if you are working something and make an error, you can probably keep working without too much fuss, making an adjustment somewhere else later as you go.

In Lace, you generally need to keep your attention on it because there is no room for error. One missed or gained loop will likely throw the balance off. This is what causes the frustraition.

If you can knit/purl increase and decrease, then you know the basics and everything else is a variation of the basics! Go slow, don't be afraid to ask questions and keep your vids bookmarked and you will be fine!

lissaplus2
04-13-2010, 03:54 AM
I live in southeastern Texas........come on down be glad to have
you

If I come to Texas, you gotta put me up for a week...we'll get that shawl done!! and sometimes you gotta take me on a tour. Never been to texas.

Some great words of wisdom Crycket, ty.

MMario
04-13-2010, 08:58 AM
Becky - a lot of people would use just the one, between pattern repeats.

But to make the pattern easier, you can break the chart and pattern into sections.

there is the edge ( 1 stitch) then a group of 4, a group of 11, a group of 8; a group of 11.

then you can either mark off 4 twice, or 8 once; 11, 8, 11, 4 and the second selvedge.

If you look at the chart you will notice that stitches line up vertically in each group in a way that will help you keep track. The exception is the cable crossing in the 11 stitch group; and the pattern rows. just above and below it.

that's a lot of marker, I know, but it does break up a 38 stitch repeat into 11 at the most.

And your progress by May first will be a very good indicator for newbies; so don't fret.

(ps - shawls that take me six weeks or more have been completed by other people in THREE DAYS (!))

kgcrafter
04-13-2010, 01:59 PM
I have searched two cities for Kroy yarn or something suitable in fingering yarn and I've struck out. All the little yarn shops have gone out of business. Now, if I order the yarn, it will take a week to get here. I have two skeins of white Heart and Soles that I can work with until then, but should I go ahead and order some Kroy and start over when it gets here? I'm so down! I really want to make this shawl and everything seems to be pitted against me this week.
Kathy

lissaplus2
04-13-2010, 02:45 PM
Any fingering weight yarn will work...If you decide to go ahead and order tho..its ok.

Crycket
04-13-2010, 03:26 PM
IMO Heart and Sole is pretty much exactly the same as Kroy....I wouldn't sweat it!

kgcrafter
04-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Only thing is.... I only have 2 skeins of it! I could see if Hobby Lobby would special order it for me, but they order on Thursdays and don't get it in until next Tuesday. I ordered some Knitpicks Stroll. I've been told they are faster than some places. I'll order the Heart and Soles too and use the one that comes in first! I was beginning to think that I was going to have to use acrylic baby yarn. :ick: I'm getting in a lot of practice! I think I can actually do it now. The cable rows had me messed up for a while. It's the extra YO that I was missing where you YO, P1, YO. I think I have it now though. Thanks for your patience. I really have done lace before. :blush: Back to practicing. :knitting:
Kathy

becky77340
04-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Mario thank you for your help, I am marking the chart in blue between the sections sugested and placing markers. I will just go from there. My goal is to get to the first cable without having to frog......lol

Lissaplus2 anytime you get to the Houston area you give me a call we can knit and then paint the town red!!!!! Shoot all of yall come it would be a great shin dig.......:woohoo:

Kpcrafter don't worry about tailing behind the others you will always be ahead of me......lol

back to counting:knitting:
Becky

becky77340
04-13-2010, 06:50 PM
Ok I have set up my markers as Mario sugested. I do the first row and my count is off in every other section. I tink back and my count starts correctly. I redo the first row and I do the samething each time. So what ever I am doing I do it consistantly. I have to making a yarn over incorrectly. The only on I questioned was the yo followed by a purl. That has to be it. Any sugestions? I am going to knit night tomorrow I am going to take it with me and complete the first row or to with someone who has done alot of lace before. I am very hard headed. This is not going to whip me......lol

Becky

Dimpledapple
04-13-2010, 08:42 PM
I can think of a couple of things and I really hope I don't confuse you too much :oo:

I know you said you end up with a different count in every other section, but do you still end up with 78 stitches when you're done with the row?

If so, it might be a matter of where you placed the markers to begin with. If you placed them on that very first purl row, then you might be getting off once you start doing the lace work. If this is the case, then I recommend you wait to place the markers until the first row of the chart (ie, selvedge stitch - place marker - k2tog, k2, yo - place marker). Your section count should stay consistent after that.

If it's a matter of ending up with a different number of stitches altogether, you might want to pay close attention to the way you're wrapping the yarn for the yo's to see if something's off. You can also make a mental note or place a marker right before you do a yo, then do the yo and the stitch that follows. You should have two stitches on your right needle after the marker. If you have more or less, then that probably means you're doing your yo a little off.

Hope this helps, and if not, I'm sure the knit night people do a great job!

Dimpledapple
04-13-2010, 08:43 PM
By the way, I'm totally loving your attitude! I wouldn't call it being hard-headed so much as being determined, focused, and goal-oriented! :teehee:

lissaplus2
04-14-2010, 07:29 AM
Hey yall, I just got asked if I needed another tester. I dont think I do.
But what do yall think?

MMario
04-14-2010, 09:19 AM
if the count is off in the 11 stitch sections then I suspect you are correct.

When you make a yo before a purl, and your yarn is in the back to start with, you have to make the yarnover, PLUS bring the yarn between the needles and forward. To me, it feels almost like making two yarnovers. (In some old knitting patterns you will find double yarnovers befoe purl stitches for this reason)

MMario
04-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Another test knitter?
That's up to you.

I have found, in general, the more the merrier; that is, at least up to the point I can't keep straight who is saying what....

Crycket
04-14-2010, 09:33 AM
It is only giving them about 2.5 weeks for you deadline, but if you are ok with that...I don't mind! *smiles*

lissaplus2
04-14-2010, 09:43 AM
I just need a couple of you to finish the shawl before i start the class...

I would welcome another test knitter! More eyes that see my pattern before it goes up for sale the more accurate it is. The more skill levels that test it the better too...

Is anyone nearing the border?

Crycket
04-14-2010, 10:01 AM
I am going to guess I am the closest. I think I just started my 11th pattern yesterday, which will hopefully bring me to the boarder by Friday/Saturday.

lissaplus2
04-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Ok Crycket...let me know when you get ready to start it cuz im gonna be stuck here like glue when you do...(just in case)

Mario--please read my directions on the border and make sure they are as clear as they can be? so I dont screw Crycket (or anyone else) up before they start.

Crycket
04-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Ok..I can see I am already going to be confused. I assume that when one casts on with the light coloured contrast yarn, that rows 1-11 are then worked with the working yarn....but then again with a different contrasting yarn for row 12?

Oh this is one of those, don't read ahead to much things isn't it...

lissaplus2
04-14-2010, 10:45 AM
Ok..I can see I am already going to be confused. I assume that when one casts on with the light coloured contrast yarn, that rows 1-11 are then worked with the working yarn....but then again with a different contrasting yarn for row 12?

You cast on with the light colored yarn and work rows 1-11 WITH the light colored yarn. then use the dark colored yarn for row 12 attatching it to the body on the marked row.

THEN--you pick up the working yarn and begin with row 1 of border chart. and ride off into the sunset...wait wrong situation...sorry.

the purpose for the 2 colors is that you will use the one row in dark to follow when you graft. if it was all in the same color it would be amazingly harder.

Is there better wording for the pattern you can think of for this???

Mario---wanna chime in here?

MMario
04-14-2010, 10:51 AM
The only major thing I see that might throw someone is that you don't explain how to do a double join. I know how *I* would do one; and I know at least one alternative; but not sure what method you are using/prefer.

And I would probably add the words in bold to this paragrap, just for the sake of clarity, on the theory that if you repeat something enough times people will see what you said, not what they think.

Finishing: Cut working yarn leaving an end 4 times as long as needed to knit a row for grafting, and thread through darning needle.
Graft your final row 12 to the first row 1 in working yarn by following the path of the dark color contrasting yarn. Remove waste yarn.
Weave in ends

BTW - I really like the two colour waste yarn thing.....

As usual, ymmv. I'm always opinionated, not always right.

MMario
04-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Sure! (see my previous post tag line....)

How about the following? (bold is my additions/changes)

Knitted on Border:

With DPNs and light color contrasting cotton yarn, co 18 and work Rows 1-11 of
Border chart; all in the light cotton yarn.
With dark color contrasting cotton yarn, work row 12 attaching last border stitch and the marked center panel stitch, using a p2tog tbl. (This is to aid you with grafting.) All the cotton yarn will be removed after the grafting

*With working yarn, work Border chart 26 times or until you have six (6) center panel stitches left.

Work Corner A.

etc...

lissaplus2
04-14-2010, 11:01 AM
I dont explain how to do a single join either do i? Im just doing 2 single joins in same body stitch...should i explain both? (Im asking everyone on this one...)

thank you for the revising...its done.

what is ymmv?

lissaplus2
04-14-2010, 11:15 AM
Wednesdays are my sit in knit days...so its time for me to go.
Please voice your opinions about the previous posts. I REALLY want to hear what yall have to say.

bbl..

MMario
04-14-2010, 11:22 AM
YMMV

your mileage may vary.....*grin*

MMario
04-14-2010, 11:26 AM
My opinion is people will realize the "p2tog tbl" is a "single join", without needing further explanation

and all you need do is explain that a "double join" is working two consecutive single joins (for example, rows 1 and 3) into the same center panel stitch.

What do others think?

Crycket
04-14-2010, 11:31 AM
My question is why does one need to work an entire pattern in waste yarn?

MMario
04-14-2010, 12:11 PM
I can't answer for why it was written this way...

but I can tell you from experience; working a pattern repeat in the waste yarn will make it MUCH easier to work the first couple rows of the edge in the working yarn.

Dimpledapple
04-14-2010, 02:15 PM
My opinion is people will realize the "p2tog tbl" is a "single join", without needing further explanation

and all you need do is explain that a "double join" is working two consecutive single joins (for example, rows 1 and 3) into the same center panel stitch.

What do others think?

I agree! I've never knit on a border so I was completely lost, but that's clearly a reflection of my lack of experience. Then I spent some quality time with Google and figured it out. I think you're very clear and I really appreciate the details such as "= one pattern repeat" as well as the mentioning of short and long sides. I do think it will be very helpful to other knitted-on-border-newbies if you explain the double join.

lissaplus2
04-14-2010, 06:36 PM
Ok so should i put something like this.........

Single Join: One join to one stitch of center panel.
Purl last border stitch together with one stitch from center panel through the back loop = 2 border rows joined to one center panel stitch.

Double Join: Two joins to one stitch of center panel.
Work a single join, and on next joining row, work a second single join in same stitch. = 4 border rows joined to one stitch of center panel.

..........in the abbreviations? or somewhere else, maybe somewhere around the border instructions, would be more handy?

or are those descriptions too wordy? or do they explain things at all?

Crycket
04-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Ok...few questions...

Does one have to work a pattern in waste yarn? and should there be wording about right and wrong side facing...

Like one is picking up at row 13 of the side, with right side facing?

lissaplus2
04-14-2010, 09:22 PM
Does one have to work a pattern in waste yarn?

i assume your talking about the border...no. you can work half a pattern in waste yarn. but you do need a few rows of light and then row 12 in dark. But I HIGHLY recomend you do the entire pattern repeat. It gives you practice for the real thing and you will have a much easier time during grafting. other than those two things...there is no purpose in doing the entire repeat.

and should there be wording about right and wrong side facing...
Like one is picking up at row 13 of the side, with right side facing?

your right. I will fix that.

lissaplus2
04-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Knitted on Border: With DPNs and light color contrasting cotton yarn, co 18 and work Rows 1-11 of Border chart; all in the light cotton yarn. With dark color contrasting cotton yarn, work row 12 attaching last border stitch and the marked center panel stitch with right side facing, with a p2tog tbl. (This is to aid you with grafting.) All the cotton yarn will be removed after the grafting.
*With working yarn, work Border chart 26 times or until you have six (6) center panel stitches left. Work Corner A.

Is this what your talking about Crycket?

Becky how was the knit night?

Kathy how are you?

Dimpledapple
04-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Ok, so to be ridiculously specific:

cast on and knit one border repeat (rows 1-11) with light colored yarn without attaching it to center panel
knit row 12 of that first border repeat in dark colored yarn and attach it (single join) to row 13 of center panel where the marker was placed
continue border with regular/working yarn, first single join with working yarn being end of row 2 of border and selvedge stitch on row 14 of center panel
work border all the way around the shawl up until the dark color yarn, stopping after row 11 on that last border repeat (border pattern that was knit with light colored yarn will just be kind of dangling off of row 12, right?)
graft by mimicking dark colored yarn stitches with working yarn
block
throw a party when you're done with the fabulous shawl!

Do I have it right?

lissaplus2
04-14-2010, 10:45 PM
•cast on and knit one border repeat (rows 1-11) with light colored yarn without attaching it to center panel
Yes

•knit row 12 of that first border repeat in dark colored yarn and attach it (single join) to row 13 of center panel where the marker was placed
Yes

•continue border with regular/working yarn, first single join with working yarn being end of row 2 of border and selvedge stitch on row 14 of center panel
Yes but the reason for the marker was because it will be difficult to keep track of the row numbers...you would just join first row 2 of working yarn with the next stitch up from the marked, and now joined stitch.

•work border all the way around the shawl up until the dark color yarn, stopping after row 11 on that last border repeat (border pattern that was knit with light colored yarn will just be kind of dangling off of row 12, right?)
Yes

•graft by mimicking dark colored yarn stitches with working yarn
Yes

•block
Yes, block the crap outta it.

•throw a party when you're done with the fabulous shawl!
Only if you invite all of us!! and theres chocolate involved...LOL

Dimpledapple
04-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Yes, that marker is awesome. It's definitely our friend! And of course you're all invited to the post-shawl party where we'll not only have tons of chocolate, but plenty of wine as well :teehee: Oh, by the way, I finished my 7th repeat today! Halfway done!! :woohoo:

lissaplus2
04-14-2010, 11:12 PM
Ok everybody.........

Look at post #233 and throw your opinion at me. (and any pics you have of your current work...:))

Ps...Im ready to start another co-op...anyone wanna get one goin?

MMario
04-15-2010, 09:05 AM
My thoughts would be to put the "join" definitions with the instructions for the first corner.

MMario
04-15-2010, 09:07 AM
And if anyone is wondering why you attach at row 13' it is becasue you allow those 13 rows after the last corner of the body to finish your easing of the corner edge around.

Freyja
04-15-2010, 09:36 AM
I was thinking for a beginning lace knitter, it would be nice to say:
read chart from left to right on odd numbered rows and right to left
on even numbered rows.

I like more info. on the edge it gives the knitter a better visual on
how it will go together.

kgcrafter
04-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Good Morning everybody! The yarn I ordered is in the mail :woohoo:

But I thought I would tell you that I am still working on the pattern. Since the yarn I have and the yarn I ordered is Ivory, I figure if they don't match (and they don't guarantee all they send will have the same dye lot), I can always dye it. It's the Heart and Sole yarn. Think that will work? I now have one completed pattern done. I didn't think I would ever get one done without mistakes!

I'm not sure how to post a photo yet, but I'll try to take one and figure it out later today!

Becky, how are you doing? Something that helped me was counting the stitches at the half way point on each row and again at the end. Also, USE A LIFELINE! I can't tell you how many times I screwed up the cable and caught it at the half way point and ripped back using the lifeline.

Kathy

Crycket
04-15-2010, 10:39 AM
Ok...with all this talk about the boarder...would it be possible to get a new pattern.pdf?

Still have to get to the boarder, but since we have rolled a few ideas out, I would like to be able to see it the way it should be now...

lissaplus2
04-15-2010, 11:13 AM
did you see my ideas? what do ya think before i final it.

Crycket
04-15-2010, 11:46 AM
*smiles*...I don't think I will really grasp it all til I get there...I just need to know what instructions to follow when I get there...*smiles*

lissaplus2
04-15-2010, 11:48 AM
K I will send you a whole new pattern. If anyone else would like the new pattern...let me know.

check your email Crycket.

kgcrafter
04-15-2010, 11:56 AM
Melissa, I'll probably need a new pdf too. I haven't done a joined border, so the easier the directions, the better! Thanks!

Kathy

lissaplus2
04-15-2010, 12:07 PM
Ok I just sent all of you the new pattern..

Everyone let me know you got it please?