PDA

View Full Version : FO - Linoleum Dishcloth

auburnchick
04-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Here's a fast project I started and completed while watching TV last night.

It's the Linoleum Dishcloth.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2736/4495332916_33ee2e6f38.jpg

This is a free pattern, located here (http://www.masondixonknitting.com/archives/2009_08.html#002711).

It looks difficult, but it really isn't! The slip stitches make it look like you're carrying different colors of yarn across, when in actuality, you're not! However, by carrying one yarn across your slipped stitches, you get a very thick cloth!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4050/4494693913_54355a206e.jpg

I used size 6 needles and Peaches 'n Cream yarn (Yellow, Cornflower, and Soft Teal).

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4019/4494694955_8e55ee7b8f.jpg

I will DEFINITELY be making more of these!

Thanks for looking!

Jan in CA
04-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Wow, that's a pretty one! Thanks for the link!

WandaT
04-05-2010, 09:13 PM
That is really cool!! I'm off to check out the pattern now!! Thanks for the link!

tilllie
04-05-2010, 09:31 PM
That is really unique! Pretty colors too. will def have to check out the pattern. I think your colors are much nicer than the example on the link! thanks for sharing!

auburnchick
04-05-2010, 09:42 PM
That is really unique! Pretty colors too. will def have to check out the pattern. I think your colors are much nicer than the example on the link! thanks for sharing!

Oh, now you're making me blush! I think my next one will be hot pink, bright green, and something else...haven't decided the third color yet. You can really change things up simply by changing which colors are A, B, and C. It's a very versatile pattern!

lgoddard
04-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Love it! Always looking for new dish cloth patterns. Glad you posted this one. Looks great

Debkcs
04-06-2010, 03:21 AM
Really like the way this one looks, and the thicker the better, IMHO.

Thanks for the link~~~~

ETA: After reading the pattern I have a question for you, do you think this would make a good bath mat, either sewing squares together or enlarging the pattern? I really like the way it looks, and we're using an old towel since our 15 y.o. puppy is using our bath mat as her fourth or fifth bed around the house.

margz3
04-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Oooh, I really like that one Nathalie! Thanks so much for posting the link!! I agree - your's is much prettier!!

How about orange for the 3rd color in the other one? I think of bright, cheery dahlias when you mention the other 2 colors :)

auburnchick
04-06-2010, 11:07 AM
ETA: After reading the pattern I have a question for you, do you think this would make a good bath mat, either sewing squares together or enlarging the pattern? I really like the way it looks, and we're using an old towel since our 15 y.o. puppy is using our bath mat as her fourth or fifth bed around the house.

Yes! That's a terrific idea!! I would just add more stitches rather than trying to seam squares together. Ahhh...I love the way knitters think!! :thumbsup:

purlingkitten
04-06-2010, 12:38 PM
It's a great color combination. Thanks for the pattern link. You are such an enabler! Off to check stash...

Jan in CA
04-06-2010, 01:36 PM
ETA: After reading the pattern I have a question for you, do you think this would make a good bath mat, either sewing squares together or enlarging the pattern?

I hadn't thought of that, but great idea!!:think:

ArtLady1981
04-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Very nice! Just love it! Thanks for linking us, too!

OffJumpsJack
04-06-2010, 08:13 PM
From the stitch appearance and your description it sounds like a linen stitch. I that what the pattern used?

auburnchick
04-06-2010, 08:30 PM
From the stitch appearance and your description it sounds like a linen stitch. I that what the pattern used?

Honestly, I have no idea! I just knit 'em as they're written! :teehee:

mks22300
04-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Ooo, I really like that, and the colors you chose are so pretty!

Dimpledapple
04-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Ooh, very pretty! I'm also digging the bath mat idea :thumbsup:

Abbers1026
04-08-2010, 09:05 AM
that's soo pretty. I'm so glad I found this site it's been extremely helpful and very good at giving ideas of things that I can make to build up my ability as a knitter. this is being added to my list.

N0obKnitter
04-11-2010, 11:38 PM
Pretty!!!

Jan in CA
04-12-2010, 01:41 AM
I bought some yarn for it so now I can try it!

auburnchick
04-12-2010, 07:58 AM
I bought some yarn for it so now I can try it!

Yay! I can't wait to see your's!

jeanlee411
04-14-2010, 10:59 PM
That is really cool!! I'm off to check out the pattern now!! Thanks for the link!

treegardner
04-15-2010, 03:23 AM
Very cool! :thumbsup:

Debkcs
04-20-2010, 04:52 AM
I THOUGHT I had the math correct for a bath mat, but no, it's way off. The problem is how many stitches to cast on, leaving off stitches on the ends. Is it possible that a pattern like this won't lend itself to being increased? :??

So, decided to make like a frog, and rippit, make a dishcloth first. Not a knitted dishcloth fan, but think it's the only way. Tomorrow is another day.

Jan in CA
04-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Should you be able to just double or triple the CO number, Deb? :think:

yarndolly
04-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the great pattern. I'll have to give this one a try too.

OffJumpsJack
04-20-2010, 10:44 PM
I THOUGHT I had the math correct for a bath mat, but no, it's way off. The problem is how many stitches to cast on, leaving off stitches on the ends. Is it possible that a pattern like this won't lend itself to being increased? :??

So, decided to make like a frog, and rippit, make a dishcloth first. Not a knitted dishcloth fan, but think it's the only way. Tomorrow is another day.

Should you be able to just double or triple the CO number, Deb? :think:

Well, I can't promise you that my math and pattern stitch counting skills are flawless enough to trust that calculation without a test knit. Oh, the selvage edge would account for why you cant just double the CO. Try CO minus 2 and then multiply the resulting smaller number by 2 or 3 and don't forget to add 2 back in at the end.

So much for counting skills. :roll: I just took a look at the pattern and there are three selvage stitches (Each row begins with one and ends with two). It takes an odd number of stitches for the linen stitch and the diamond pattern does repeat over ten stitches.

:think: Try any multiple of 10 + 3 sts that gets close to your desired measured width or length.

Then again it is late night and I am tired. I apologize for the "hit and run" knitting pattern diagnostics. (YMMV) Crossed Fingers

--Jack
P.S. The answer to my previous question is: "No, it is not the linen stitch." I just looks remarkably like it and yet I now see the differences too. Yes, I must be really tired.

Good night all (or good morning to those on the other side of the globe).

I've been working on a blanket and my time to complete it is coming due.

auburnchick
04-20-2010, 11:39 PM
:teehee:

Jaxhil
05-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the link! I love this, very pretty!

Jan in CA
05-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Haha Jack! :lol: I forgot about the edge stitches. I haven't started this yet, just had some other things to do. Soon though!

marymil
10-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Really like the way this one looks, and the thicker the better, IMHO.

Thanks for the link~~~~

Hi,

I recently had the same thought about making the dishcloth into a bath mat! Did you ever figure out the math? I'm having a bit of trouble doubling the pattern. Thanks in advance for any guidance you could provide!

chj
10-04-2010, 03:10 PM
I'm glad someone revived this thread - I had not seen it before. This looks like a great pattern to do in red & green for Christmas! Nice, little hostess gifts, eh??