PDA

View Full Version : Pattern interpretation

quiltzr4me
04-07-2010, 12:09 AM
I'm a new knitter and am learning how to read these darn patterns! I am currently working on "Pucker-Up Purse" from Jenny Hill's book, "Two Balls or Less".

It is made in two pieces, the front and back. The front of this puckered lip shaped purse has a zipper opening. The back is solid. Eventually, the two pieces are sewn together around the outside edge of the lip shape.

I've got the front done and want to start the back. The directions say: "Cast on 20 sts. Work in st st, starting with a knit row. Increase on next (that is Row 3) and every following knit row until 54 sts. Work 5 rows st st without shaping. Decrease (use k2tog) at each end of every knit row until 46 sts. Purl 1 row." Then it goes into the shaping of the bumps of the upper lip.

My problem is the "increase" direction. How do I increase? Do I increase at the start and end of each row? On the front, they had you "Inc 1 k#, m1, k#, m1, k#, Inc 1." when it was an increasing row. Do I copy that pattern? That pattern got you to the zipper opening which of course isn't on the back.

I went back to the front and counted the number of rows that it took to get to the upper lip bumps. Even if I only increase at the beginning and ending of the rows, it seems like I'll get to the lip bumps way earlier on the back than on the front. I would think that these need to line up eventually.

Does this make any sense without having the pattern in front of you? I am trying to get into my local store (who have been a huge help as I've been working on this pattern), but my schedule is getting tight. I'm leaving for a wrestling tournament and would like something to do in the stands!

Any help would be appreciated.

Nancy

suzeeq
04-07-2010, 09:14 AM
You should probably increase the same way as on the front. It would seem to me that the back should have the same shaping as the front.