PDA

View Full Version : Relay for Life washcloths

Abbers1026
04-19-2010, 12:57 PM
I'm posting this here as well since it is charity knitting. I'm going to be making these washcloths for my gifts for my survivors at the american cancer society-relay for life in my area and I'm just starting them now...I was just wondering if there was anyone who would want to help me with this since I need to make 50 by june 4. I'm planning on doing them in purple since that's the color for relay, but red, white or blue would work as well and since finishing one and looking at colors any color will work except maybe pink since that's mostly associated with breast cancer and I don't want to lean one way or the other since the survivors are from all types of cancer. If any of you would like to help out even if it's just making a few that would be extremely helpful. here's the pattern and contact me if this is something you are interested in.

http://gimpykatkpatterns.blogspot.co...cer-cloth.html

krismorales
04-20-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm posting this here as well since it is charity knitting. I'm going to be making these washcloths for my gifts for my survivors at the american cancer society-relay for life in my area and I'm just starting them now...I was just wondering if there was anyone who would want to help me with this since I need to make 50 by june 4. I'm planning on doing them in purple since that's the color for relay, but red, white or blue would work as well and since finishing one and looking at colors any color will work except maybe pink since that's mostly associated with breast cancer and I don't want to lean one way or the other since the survivors are from all types of cancer. If any of you would like to help out even if it's just making a few that would be extremely helpful. here's the pattern and contact me if this is something you are interested in.

http://gimpykatkpatterns.blogspot.co...cer-cloth.html

I tried to go to the link to check out the pattern and it doesn't seem to work....is there another way to get there?

mspwrz
04-20-2010, 04:24 PM
I could not get there either. I was hoping to do a practice cloth.

Abbers1026
04-20-2010, 04:33 PM
http://gimpykatkpatterns.blogspot.com/2009/11/hopecure-cancer-cloth.html

sorry about that...try this one

Abbers1026
04-23-2010, 08:36 AM
I was just wondering if either of you guys was thinking you'd be able to help if so thats great I'm just trying to get an idea of how many people are going to be able to help and if so about how many you think you'd be able to help with :knitting:

mspwrz
04-23-2010, 10:08 AM
I will try the pattern this weekend and let you know. My skills are pretty basic but I am willing to try. I am surprised more people have not stepped up to help. I guess they are busy. This seems like an easy enough pattern.

Abbers1026
04-23-2010, 10:32 AM
lol yes its an extremely easy pattern esp since my skills are very new as well I started knitting only about a month and half ago. I have finished one and with only doing it after work it took me about 2 days...but thats with only like an hour or two of knitting a day...i'm hoping by this weekend to have at least 5 done I'm into the 2nd one...I'm also guessing people have a lot on their plates right now but I'm still hopeful of getting some more helpers since these are all going to be going to cancer survivors/patients to help them wash away cancer. :hug:

mspwrz
04-23-2010, 11:07 AM
I guess it means alot to those of us who have a personal connection to a survivor or victim. My mom survived breast cancer diagnosed at stage five. It is the least I can do.

Abbers1026
04-23-2010, 11:21 AM
wow thats amazing major :hug: for coming back from stage 5. I had my committee meeting last night for relay and showed them the finished one and they were all amazed at how perfect the design is. I figure giving up my time and some yarn is the least I can do for what survivors go through

sgtpam
04-23-2010, 07:39 PM
I didn't have any nice, solid cotton in my stash...so, off to HL I go...but, I couldn't do that till today. They had some Purple Cottontop on clearance...and I have the weekend off! I'll be getting started tonight and I'll see what I can crank out this weekend!

Abbers1026
04-23-2010, 07:54 PM
lol yea HL is where I got my yarn at too...

krismorales
04-23-2010, 08:08 PM
I did go to the link and look at it, but then noticed you need them by June 4th and my May is really busy. Otherwise, I'd have enjoyed helping you with them. Sorry. Kris

Abbers1026
04-23-2010, 09:25 PM
thats fine I'm trying to bust out as many as I can and I'm secretly hoping I can find some more help...lol

mspwrz
04-23-2010, 10:41 PM
:thumbsup: I got red, white and blue as the only color of purple I could find today was lavender. Would not go to HL today because it is next door to the Hastings where the shootings took place earlier this week. Toby's has reopened but Hastings will reopen tomorrow. I will go look when I get back from Oklahoma City tomorrow. I hope that will do I will do purple if I can find some.

Abbers1026
04-24-2010, 01:37 PM
any color will work...i'm thankful that you guys are willing to donate your time and yarn for cancer survivors:grphug:

mamapaulsel
04-24-2010, 02:52 PM
Kathleen,
My father died of lung cancer almost 6 years ago. Most of my relatives on that side of the family have also lost their lives to cancer. I'd be honored to help knit up some of these clothes for you. I have printed out the pattern, so now I need to go check out my stash and see what I have. Thank you for doing this to help others.

Abbers1026
04-24-2010, 05:24 PM
if you can help with these that would be awesome...they are really quick easy knits...

mamapaulsel
04-24-2010, 11:15 PM
I found some red, white and pale yellow cotton tots in my stash. So far I've started on a yellow cloth. Hope it will help you out.

Abbers1026
04-26-2010, 08:46 AM
thanks and yes any color will work...I didn't get quite as far as I was hoping over the weekend due to family coming in from GA and dogsitting but still got quite a bit done...

sgtpam
04-26-2010, 08:04 PM
I got 3 done this weekend out of the CottonTots, Grape Berry, I had. I took a picture, but can't find my cord to post them. I used size 4s and they came out great. I have another skein and will work on a few more for you.:knitting:

Abbers1026
04-26-2010, 08:57 PM
yay thanks soo much

Gertie
04-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Thank you! I wondered what I was going to do with these red & navy LB Kitchen Cottons. I'll commit to three cloths. One each red & navy. The other will probably be white.

Abbers1026
04-26-2010, 10:30 PM
yay thanks when you guys all finish however many you're able to help with just personal message me and I'll give you my address to send them to

cricket22
04-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Abby, you can count me in for a couple. I have some other projects I need to get finished but I'm sure I can fit in at least two by the beginning of June.

Abbers1026
04-29-2010, 08:27 PM
yay thanks!!!

mspwrz
04-29-2010, 11:24 PM
I have completed one purple one and have another started. I will do as many as I can for you. My students have seen it and think it is 'so cool' the way you see the design.:thumbsup:

Abbers1026
04-30-2010, 08:34 AM
thanks, and yea I showed a finished one off to my relay committee and they said they were awesome my weekend has plenty of knitting ahead of me:knitting: ...esp since hobbly lobby had cotton yarn on sale :woohoo:

mamapaulsel
05-03-2010, 11:02 PM
yellow one almost finished and plan on doing a white and red on too. Hope that it helps, let me know where to send them when I get them done.

mspwrz
05-04-2010, 04:26 PM
I got some purple while it was on sale. I have also got one half done in red. I had another one done in purple but found a mistake which made the border off about halfway through so I am taking it out and redoing it. I am hoping to get at least five done for you.

Abbers1026
05-04-2010, 04:28 PM
thanks!

farmgirl
05-05-2010, 10:29 AM
I have a purple one almost done and I should be able to finish a couple more. I didn't want to say anything until I got at least one started in case I procrastinated too much. Hope this helps!:hug:

Abbers1026
05-05-2010, 10:36 AM
lol thats understandable and yes of course it helps! thanks!

sgtpam
05-05-2010, 07:36 PM
I have 5 done and one otn...should be able to get a few more done before you need them. How about a goal update?:knitting:

Gertie
05-05-2010, 10:21 PM
How about a goal update?:knitting:

Good idea. I'll be sending at least four.

Any idea how many are coming?

mspwrz
05-05-2010, 11:05 PM
I have finished a red one and a purple one and have a purple on a little more than half finished. I plan to do at least 2 or 3 more.

Abbers1026
05-06-2010, 08:30 AM
so far I have a rough count of 20-22 coming in plus the 5 i have done so far and whatever the other girl in my relay can get done...i told the committee that we probably wont have enough for all the survivors and they said they'll just spread them out randomly and it will be an extra little suprise...so I'm thinking we'll end up between 35-40 which is a good amount...if you guys know of anyone else that could help that would be awesome! just let me know when you want the addess to send them to

Gertie
05-08-2010, 05:27 PM
we probably wont have enough for all the survivors

That's sad. I went to HL today. My new goal is to send 10 cloths.

I'll keep you informed.

sgtpam
05-08-2010, 09:17 PM
I just finished numer 8.....and still have yarn for 2. I'll take you up on that goal of 10...and maybe a few more! Three different colors of purple and 1 lime green. I was out of purple the other day:teehee:

Abbers1026
05-08-2010, 09:26 PM
thanks soo much guys...:woohoo:

WandaT
05-08-2010, 11:38 PM
I'll look in my stash and see what I have to work with. I'll do some too - don't know how many yet but at least 2-3. I know I have some white cotton.

Abbers1026
05-09-2010, 10:54 PM
yay thanks!!!

mamapaulsel
05-10-2010, 03:12 PM
2 finished and have lots of yarn for more, just need to work on them.

Abbers1026
05-10-2010, 03:52 PM
yay...ok so i'm looking at the calendar and since I need them by June 4 I'm thinking the last day to get them out in the mail would prob be May 28ish just to make sure esp since the 31st is memorial day unless shipping them other than standard mail

mamapaulsel
05-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the info, I forgot about the holiday at the end of the month.

Abbers1026
05-13-2010, 08:44 AM
I got the first 2 washcloths in the mail yesterday...yay! :happydance: can't wait to start getting them once I have them all I'll take a picture of all our cumulative work and show you guys...thanks once again :woot:

sgtpam
05-17-2010, 07:42 PM
I'm ready to mail 11 to you.:happydance: ...pm me with your address. Hope your numbers are rising:teehee:

Gertie
05-17-2010, 08:04 PM
I'm ready to mail 11 to you

Eleven! That's great! I'm on number eight now. :knitting:
I would be on number nine, but I fell asleep yesterday. Took a two hour nap. I really needed the sleep.

Abbers1026 - Go ahead & PM me your address, also. Thanks.

chj
05-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Abby - that is an awesome thing you are doing! I can't help you out, but I love the pattern and will put it in my notebook. I'm a 2X survivor also. I might make some for my survivor friends. Thanks!!

:yay:

Abbers1026
05-18-2010, 07:50 PM
yea I've shown a few of our survivors and they're all pretty excited for them...

mspwrz
05-18-2010, 08:08 PM
I am about to finish my 4th, I will have 3 purple and one red. I had hoped to get 5 done but have become involved in a community service/ charity project of my own by accident. My students will be making as their final project about 15 coloring book baby blankets and about 50 little 'care bears'. I hope I still manage to get the 5th completed but I do not want you to count on it in case I cannot get it done. :hug:
yea I've shown a few of our survivors and they're all pretty excited for them...

Gertie
05-18-2010, 09:04 PM
[QUOTE=mspwrz;1289135]My students will be making as their final project about 15 coloring book baby blankets and about 50 little 'care bears'.QUOTE]

That sounds interesting. What medium for the blankets? Knit, crochet or quilting?

mspwrz
05-19-2010, 12:13 AM
The students will be making coloring book quilts. This involves fusing freezer paper to the back of muslin and cutting it to the size of printer paper. Then you print coloring book pages on to the fabric through the printer and the students color the pages. Most of the ones they are doing are of cartoon characters. The color is set by ironing the pictures between layers of absorbent protective paper. The pictures are set together with sashing and then layered with backing and batting. They are finished by tying. It takes 9 pictures to make a baby blanket. Once they are all finished, I plan to wash them and donate them to an agency in Wichita Falls. The care bears are going to the police department to be given to small children during traffic stops or any other frightening situation.

[QUOTE=mspwrz;1289135]My students will be making as their final project about 15 coloring book baby blankets and about 50 little 'care bears'.QUOTE]

That sounds interesting. What medium for the blankets? Knit, crochet or quilting?

cricket22
05-19-2010, 12:17 PM
[QUOTE=mspwrz;1289161]The students will be making coloring book quilts. This involves fusing freezer paper to the back of muslin and cutting it to the size of printer paper. Then you print coloring book pages on to the fabric through the printer and the students color the pages. Most of the ones they are doing are of cartoon characters. The color is set by ironing the pictures between layers of absorbent protective paper. The pictures are set together with sashing and then layered with backing and batting. They are finished by tying. It takes 9 pictures to make a baby blanket. Once they are all finished, I plan to wash them and donate them to an agency in Wichita Falls. The care bears are going to the police department to be given to small children during traffic stops or any other frightening situation.

What do they use for the coloring, regular crayola crayons or something especially for fabric? Sounds like a great project.

Gertie
05-19-2010, 09:13 PM
That's so interesting. Great!

mspwrz
05-19-2010, 09:45 PM
They use regular crayons on 100% cotton muslin. The iron heat sets the crayons. I am trying to set up a blog on Ravelry. When that happens, I will post a picture of one. I sewed the sashing and border on one with Elmos today they should finish it early next week. There will be at least 16 if they are all completed.
[QUOTE=mspwrz;1289161]The students will be making coloring book quilts. This involves fusing freezer paper to the back of muslin and cutting it to the size of printer paper. Then you print coloring book pages on to the fabric through the printer and the students color the pages. Most of the ones they are doing are of cartoon characters. The color is set by ironing the pictures between layers of absorbent protective paper. The pictures are set together with sashing and then layered with backing and batting. They are finished by tying. It takes 9 pictures to make a baby blanket. Once they are all finished, I plan to wash them and donate them to an agency in Wichita Falls. The care bears are going to the police department to be given to small children during traffic stops or any other frightening situation.

What do they use for the coloring, regular crayola crayons or something especially for fabric? Sounds like a great project.

sgtpam
05-21-2010, 12:59 AM
I mailed the 11 I finished on Tuesday:cheering: Hope you have enough for everyone. Crossed Fingers

I'm working on some for my family next...my youngest great-nephew has CF and they're walking in the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation's GREAT STRIDES walk in San Antonio this weekend; which is also his 1st Birthday.

Abbers1026
05-21-2010, 08:09 AM
Yay!! :cheering: I recieved your 11 yesterday! so far I've recieved 16 and my relay event is only 2 weeks away...I'm still trying to knit furiously but since the event has become closer there are many more things to do

mamapaulsel
05-21-2010, 01:08 PM
How many cloths do you have so far? Will you reach your goal? Crossed Fingers Keep us posted on the progress.

Abbers1026
05-21-2010, 03:09 PM
we're at just over 20 right now...i have 4 Fo and #5 OTN...I'm thinking we'll end up with about 30 which is what I told the committee to expect:knitting:

Gertie
05-21-2010, 08:19 PM
I'm starting #10 tonight. I'm hoping they'll be in the mail tomorrow. I can do another, but I don't want them to be late. :nails:

Abbers1026
05-24-2010, 04:52 PM
let me know if anyone else needs my address to send washcloths to...I can't believe relay is a week and half away

mspwrz
05-24-2010, 06:25 PM
I will be mailing my 5 tomorrow. I did most of the fifth one yesterday. I will finish it up tonight and mail all five tomorrow. Thanks for putting up with the discussion about the baby quilts. I didn't mean for it to take interest away from your project. I wish I could have made more for you but this is the last week of school for me as a teacher and it is very busy. Hope you have enough for everyone. :hug:

mamapaulsel
05-24-2010, 08:17 PM
Hey Abby,
Were you planning on posting pics of the all the finished relay cloths? It would be fun to see all of them and where they are going to.

Abbers1026
05-24-2010, 09:39 PM
yea I'm going to post pictures once i have them all in...and don't feel bad at all I know we all have other projects that come up

Gertie
05-25-2010, 08:39 PM
My ten went in the mail today. Clerk said they will be delivered Thursday. Thank you for letting me help with this important project. I hope you get enough for everyone.

Gertie
05-31-2010, 09:16 PM
What's the count?

Abbers1026
06-01-2010, 08:39 AM
I'm thinking we're gonna be right around 35...the last ones are supposed to come in today and I'll snap some pictures tonight hopefully to show you guys our work.

sgtpam
06-02-2010, 06:56 PM
I had one more and mailed it to you today. Hope it gets there in time...if not, you'll have one you can give to someone later.

Abbers1026
06-03-2010, 10:55 AM
so I have 35 washcloths as of right now:woohoo: ...here are some pictures of them all together as well as my puppy's head since he had to know what mommy was doing...on my lunch break today I'll be packaging them up and I'll snap some shots of that as well...thanks again guys...i can't believe its already time for relay...we'll see how these are recieved by the survivors and if they're well recieved they very well may be the gift next year as well this way I can get a head start on them..lol...THANKS again for all your help!:hug:

sgtpam
06-03-2010, 06:57 PM
looks great! If you do them again, maybe you could figure out a place to add the year to them...

Gertie
06-03-2010, 07:05 PM
They look great. How many knitters?

Abbers1026
06-03-2010, 07:29 PM
ok so i got 2 more in the mail today so that brings us to 37 with a total of 8 knitters including myself...

melmac51
06-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Great job All!! I wasn't able to participate this time, but I've been following the thread. Count me in next year!

mamapaulsel
06-04-2010, 11:11 AM
AWESOME!!!! You can also count me in for next year. I'm setting a goal for myself now to contribute more than I did this year.

Abbers1026
06-04-2010, 11:23 AM
ok ladies that's great...at this point I'm thinking of waiting until the beginning of the new year to start this up again...after all the craziness of the holidays is over and holiday knitting...lol...I'm leaving work shortly going home and snapping some pics of them all packaged up...which might not get posted till this weekend...but I'll be sure to snap pictures for you all :muah:

Abbers1026
06-07-2010, 05:38 PM
ok here's them all packaged and a close up of one of them along with the insert...plus a bonus of the bleachers during the luminaria ceremony...thanks again for all of your help...these were a big hit!

melmac51
06-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Abby, that was beautiful!