PDA

View Full Version : Rut roh...

N0obKnitter
04-24-2010, 10:28 PM
I love knitting with wool. It's soooo easy to knit with / stretchy etc...er I think I prefer it to knitting with (much cheaper) acrylic! D'oh!!!

Jan in CA
04-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Oh yeah, wool is lovely to knit with! I can't wear it, but I can knit with it so I use it for charity items and others who can wear it. :thumbsup:

trvvn5
04-25-2010, 01:39 PM
I wouldn't touch acrylic unless someone else forced me to.

N0obKnitter
04-25-2010, 02:29 PM
In defense of Acrylic...Vanna White yarn is really nice to knit with and uber soft. I also like Bernat Super Value, but those don't really compare with real wool.

I don't react to wool, I have a Scottish wool sweater I wear sometimes and it doesn't bother me at all.

Jan in CA
04-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Yarn snob= trvvn5! :lol: You're not alone though I wonder what people like me are supposed to do if we couldn't touch acrylic unless forced! :teehee:

I've been knitting for 4.5yrs now and I've found both good and bad acrylics. Some of them are just beautiful, and others are like knitting with sandpaper. I avoid those. I buy a lot of my yarn at my LYS and I try to get some nice blends that work beautifully. :thumbsup:

etoilechaude
04-25-2010, 08:37 PM
I wouldn't touch acrylic unless someone else forced me to.

It's funny because I felt the same way until I WAS forced to use acrylic (baby stuff for my brothers baby). Well I guess I wasn't forced, but I wanted it to be washable and I didn't want to spend the kind of money it would take for superwash wool; we're really not that close, but I wanted the kid to have something from me!

I didn't even buy the 'nice' acrylics people usually quote on here, but I'm not hating it as much as I thought I would.

I still prefer wool or wool blends, but I have a hard time wearing them as well. I made myself a super cool pair of fingerless mitts that I ended up giving away cuz they were too itchy :o/

trvvn5
04-26-2010, 06:07 AM
Yarn snob= trvvn5! :lol: You're not alone though I wonder what people like me are supposed to do if we couldn't touch acrylic unless forced! :teehee:

I've been knitting for 4.5yrs now and I've found both good and bad acrylics. Some of them are just beautiful, and others are like knitting with sandpaper. I avoid those. I buy a lot of my yarn at my LYS and I try to get some nice blends that work beautifully. :thumbsup:

I totally am a yarn snob. Although I did use some Caron Simply Soft to knit my partners cabled scarf with and that was actually kind of nice. But he did force me to use it.

I supposed that I'm not all that opposed to acrylic. I just really really hate the acrylics that are scratchy and feel like they are plastic. I just can't take those. Even the Vanna stuff is a little too plasticy for me.

ladydoc442
04-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Guess I'm a yarn snob too ... LOL. I only use cheap acrylics to practice new techniques/stitches because I don't care if I have to throw it away! And of course some of my "trim" yarns (i.e., eyelash, etc.) are acrylic, but I only use occasionally.

My favorite yarns are alpaca, angora, cashmere, qiviut, silk & wool ... all the natural fibers. I just love the way they feel!

:woot:

trvvn5
04-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Guess I'm a yarn snob too ... LOL. I only use cheap acrylics to practice new techniques/stitches because I don't care if I have to throw it away! And of course some of my "trim" yarns (i.e., eyelash, etc.) are acrylic, but I only use occasionally.

My favorite yarns are alpaca, angora, cashmere, qiviut, silk & wool ... all the natural fibers. I just love the way they feel!

:woot:

I'm with you Lady. I think you just listed all my favorite fibers too. Although I really love to work with cotton too, and I only like to work with natural fibers if they have some nylon or some other support fiber mixed with them.

AngelaR
04-26-2010, 12:20 PM
I loved wool from the first time I touched it (making a cap for my son, which he immediately washed and ruined). But I still knit with amny acrylic blends because everyone I knit for needs to wash things. I'm making myself a summer sweater in bamboo... I can't wait to see how it feels.

trvvn5
04-26-2010, 01:00 PM
Thats probably going to feel fantastic.

borealowl
04-26-2010, 11:46 PM
Yes I much prefer wool to any other fiber although I do like Encore Worsted, a wool/acrylic mix that is machine washable. I also love Patons Classic Wool. I recently bought some Caron Simply Soft for some charity knitting and made a blue scarf that turned out really well. They had some on sale in victorian rose, one of my favorite colors that I couldn't resist and am using for a long sleeved polo shirt. Nice for an acrylic. Just hope it washes well.

N0obKnitter
04-27-2010, 06:44 PM
Do you guys notice any difference in where the wool was "grown?" I'm totally digging this Cascade highland Peruvian stuff. It's not the least bit scratchy and I dig knitting with it. First 100% wool I've ever knitted with it. Plus I got a skein of over 400 feet for $19.95, not super cheap, but cheaper than buying bajillions of those tiny balls/skeins, eh?

suzeeq
04-27-2010, 10:47 PM
It's not so much where the wool is from, but from what breed of sheep. Merino sheep produce a very soft yarn because the hairs are longer, highland wool is a shorter hair and btw I find it rough and scratchy.