PDA

View Full Version : Lace Curtain

Sknitter56
04-27-2010, 06:50 PM
I knitted this lace curtain for our back door to try to keep the morning sun from blinding us on weekend mornings when we're sitting in the living room. It's a free Knit Picks pattern and I used Knit Picks Shine Sport in color Cream. I made this several inches longer than the pattern indicated, but used the same number of cast on stitches. I'm not too happy with the color though. I'm wondering if maybe I could dye this. It's 60% Pima Cotton and 40% modal (I have no idea what this is). If not, guess I'll leave it as is. This took about a month to knit because I can only knit on my lunch break and a little while at night, and sometimes on weekends if not too busy. The pattern is fairly easy, but not one I could memorize, so I had to have my pattern with me all the time. But, it was not boring, which kept it interesting.

tilllie
04-28-2010, 06:49 AM
wow! That is so pretty. Very nice job!

WandaT
04-28-2010, 08:24 AM
Wow!!! It's gorgeous!! That must make you smile every time you look at it! No clue whether you could dye it or not though.

margz3
04-28-2010, 08:55 AM
Thats really nice! I've been toying with the idea of knitting some curtains for a small window in our bedroom - you've inspired me!

cindycactus
04-28-2010, 09:03 AM
That is beautiful. I am going to have to try that one. I need a curtain for our back door. :thumbsup:

MoniDew
04-28-2010, 10:12 AM
I totally love it, including the color! and now you've inspired me to attempt my own. thank you!

Sknitter56
04-28-2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks, guys! I do love the way it makes the living room seem more "cozy". And, I Googled Modal and it is dyeable so I'm thinking I may change the color, maybe navy blue, which is one of the colors in the curtains at the other window in this room. I'm most proud that I stuck with this and actually finished it without stowing it away in one of my many WIP bags.

Jan in CA
04-28-2010, 01:30 PM
Wow, those are beautiful! :yay:

ArtLady1981
04-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Oh WOW! This is brilliant!

No, don't dye it. It's perfect like it is! And WHAT IF the dye doesn't disperse quite evenly? Oy!

Your patience on this project is to be applauded! :yay:

kmaclean
04-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Nice work! It's a beautiful pattern. The color looks beautiful in the pictures ... I don't think it needs to be dyed, but if it isn't right for the room and you're not happy with it then go ahead and give it a try! You know the risks involved with trying to dye it going in, so why not experiment? That's just my two cents though ... I take no responsibility for dyeing mishaps! lol

Lana
04-28-2010, 09:19 PM
I looked at those pictures and I said,

OH WOW!!!
right out loud!

OUTSTANDING!:yay:

vaudiss
04-28-2010, 09:29 PM
hmmmmm something to look into when I move into the house I'm renting in July!!!!

THEY LOOK GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sgtpam
04-28-2010, 09:33 PM
GORGEOUS! :notworthy:

With such a large project, I think I'd knit up a swatch of the yarn and dye it first before I took a chance on dying a masterpiece like this. I wouldn't want to end up wishing I hadn't:wall:

auburnchick
04-28-2010, 09:46 PM
Oh my gosh! That is lovely!

I've had that pattern downloaded...like...forever! I just can't ever seem to get around to making it!

You did a wonderful job!!

Lighting57
04-29-2010, 05:46 PM
You might want to make a swatch and dye it first. See how it turns out.

If it were me though, I would leave it a nutural color. You stated that the sun shines through the glass. If you dye it the sun will probably bleach the color out of it anyway. Ask me how I know.

Slim
04-30-2010, 07:33 AM
It's beautiful! Lovely work.

Sknitter56
04-30-2010, 02:15 PM
Actually, the more time I've had to live with it, the better I'm liking the color as is. I think I'll play it safe and leave it alone. Thanks everyone for the head-swelling compliments! You all are the best!:heart:

melmac51
05-03-2010, 03:28 PM
GORGEOUS! :notworthy:

With such a large project, I think I'd knit up a swatch of the yarn and dye it first before I took a chance on dying a masterpiece like this. I wouldn't want to end up wishing I hadn't:wall:

Great idea Pam!