PDA

View Full Version : FO: Abagail Sweater(s)

alevtina
05-17-2010, 06:15 PM
My best friend's older sister is going to be a first-time mommy in June... and she's having twins! So I had to knit two things for the babies. Since they're both girls, I decided to knit some girly sweaters:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3353/4616259877_771f874efb.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4051/4616871820_01fc4b209c.jpg

Pattern: Abagail Sweater (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/abagail-sweater) (Ravelry)
Yarn: Lion Brand Cotton-Ease (in Lime and Seaspray)
Needles: US 4 / 3.5 mm
Notes: Here (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/alevtina/abagail-sweater-3) and here (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/alevtina/abagail-sweater-2)

The buttons used are 7/8" genuine shell buttons by JHB (http://www.buttons.com/). (I couldn't find this style on their website.) If I were to make this sweater again, I would use a different yarn. (Worsted weight yarn + small needles = thick & stiff baby sweater. I may still throw it in the wash and use fabric softener to loosen it up.) I would also consider creating a buttonhole instead of making the button loop closure.

I also have white Cotton-Ease in my stash that I'll use to create matching bonnets. D'aw! Babies :)

Slim
05-17-2010, 07:48 PM
Oh my gosh, those are so cute! Beautiful work and lovely colors. Lucky babies!

Puddinpop
05-17-2010, 08:30 PM
So cute, doubled. So what would you use next time for the yarn and needles?:inlove:

alevtina
05-17-2010, 09:24 PM
So cute, doubled. So what would you use next time for the yarn and needles?:inlove:

I'm knitting a beret right now using Lion Brand Superwash Merino (DK weight) and it is nice. In the future, I would choose a similar yarn (DK or sport weight, washable) and appropriately sized needles.

...What I really should have done is just chosen a pattern that better suited the yarn I had on hand :P

Jan in CA
05-18-2010, 12:28 AM
I love them, they're beautiful! :inlove:

Debkcs
05-18-2010, 03:44 AM
Adorable sweaters, love the colors.

mwhite
05-18-2010, 07:10 AM
How cute! Love them!!! :yay: Nicely done and love the colors....

JudyD
05-18-2010, 07:17 AM
Adorable sweaters! Good job!

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Judy

Abbers1026
05-18-2010, 08:23 AM
omg soo cute now you have me thinking I may frog the sweater I'm working on for my (kinda) niece and switch to this one plus as a bonus it's kinda like my name...lol...how easy and fast was this to knit up?

alevtina
05-18-2010, 08:42 AM
omg soo cute now you have me thinking I may frog the sweater I'm working on for my (kinda) niece and switch to this one plus as a bonus it's kinda like my name...lol...how easy and fast was this to knit up?

I knit the blue one over the course of two days. However, I was "power knitting" because the baby shower was in 4 days. On the second day, I learned that the baby shower had been moved to a date 2 weeks in the future... so I knit the green one with less fervor. (It took me about 4 days to knit the green cardigan.) It seems to me like a rather straightforward pattern and the lace portion is easy to memorize. The designer also writes that she did a single crochet border up along the front, around the neck, and down the other side of the front... but because I don't know how to crochet, I left that out. The edges look a little rough without this border but not awful. (If you crochet, I would recommend doing the border. If not, it's not a big deal.)

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! :)

Abbers1026
05-18-2010, 09:06 AM
do you have a link for it that's not on Ravelry...since my work blocks Ravelry on its filter

alevtina
05-18-2010, 09:59 AM
do you have a link for it that's not on Ravelry...since my work blocks Ravelry on its filter

It seems to be a Ravelry-only download. However, I've attached the PDF to this post. (It's a free pattern, it's just available only on Ravelry.) Hope that helps!

Abbers1026
05-18-2010, 10:29 AM
sorry to be a pain but is this all knit as one piece b/c that would awesome...and from looking at it I'm assuming knit in the round but I'm not sure...still a newbie over here, but being that I have tons of babies around me now my knitting is in overdrive

alevtina
05-18-2010, 11:22 AM
sorry to be a pain but is this all knit as one piece b/c that would awesome...and from looking at it I'm assuming knit in the round but I'm not sure...still a newbie over here, but being that I have tons of babies around me now my knitting is in overdrive

You're not a pain at all! These are all legitimate questions :) It is, indeed, all knit in one piece. It is not knit in the round but it makes use of a circular needle for its length. (The sweater starts at the neck and is worked down.)

Abbers1026
05-18-2010, 11:29 AM
yay so my size 5 straights will be good for this...I have a feeling I'll be casting on tonight...lol...not that I would have a problem buying more needles however I've bought many in the last month and half...lol along with yarn...the boyfriend is feeling overwhelmed

Jan in CA
05-18-2010, 11:38 AM

Yes, it's all in one piece. She went around the front edges and neck with single crochet, but that isn't necessary for the pattern. Once you bind off you're done.

It's not technically "in the round" since it's still knit flat. This is called a seamless design instead. :thumbsup:

margz3
05-18-2010, 11:41 AM
Awww - they are adorable! :thumbsup:

Abbers1026
05-18-2010, 11:41 AM
I guess I'm just having trouble visualizing how it would work without doing any seaming...guess I'll see it as I start it tonight I may have more questions as I go along

alevtina
05-18-2010, 11:45 AM
I guess I'm just having trouble visualizing how it would work without doing any seaming...guess I'll see it as I start it tonight I may have more questions as I go along

I had trouble with that, too. (I'd never knit a seamless garment before.) I just went with it, though, and it worked! Just trust the pattern :)

Jan in CA
05-18-2010, 11:48 AM

Your first seamless can be confusing, but once you do it you'll see all kinds of possibilities for that type of pattern. :thumbsup:

Abbers1026
05-18-2010, 11:50 AM
K well I guess I'm off to Joanns once again on my lunch...so you said you would prob switch to dk weight...would one skein be enough?

alevtina
05-18-2010, 11:57 AM
K well I guess I'm off to Joanns once again on my lunch...so you said you would prob switch to dk weight...would one skein be enough?

I'd say you'd need somewhere between 200 and 300 yards of yarn. And, yes, DK or sport weight would be better than worsted. (That's my opinion, at least.)

Abbers1026
05-18-2010, 12:01 PM
ok thanks sounds good...esp since I'm hoping to finish it in time for the baby to wear it to a wedding they're going to next weekend...since baby wasnt due till pretty much that date they dont really have anything for her to wear...i think this over a cute dress would be perfect

alevtina
05-18-2010, 12:40 PM
ok thanks sounds good...esp since I'm hoping to finish it in time for the baby to wear it to a wedding they're going to next weekend...since baby wasnt due till pretty much that date they dont really have anything for her to wear...i think this over a cute dress would be perfect

Awesome! Good luck! If you have any questions, you can always PM me :)

lgoddard
05-18-2010, 06:14 PM
Oh my, those are just too precious! Expecting my first grandchild, a girl and looks like I just have to try making this sweater. Thank you for posting.

ArtLady1981
05-19-2010, 06:41 AM
Very nice work!

melmac51
05-19-2010, 02:32 PM
Such cute little sweaters! Great work too!:inlove:

Abbers1026
05-20-2010, 12:23 PM
ok quick question...when starting the lace portion it says k20(front) remove marker, i'm assuming that means knit 20 as usual and remove the first marker, but do you remove all the markers at this point of keep them in?

alevtina
05-20-2010, 12:47 PM
ok quick question...when starting the lace portion it says k20(front) remove marker, i'm assuming that means knit 20 as usual and remove the first marker, but do you remove all the markers at this point of keep them in?

Yep. Knit 20 sts, remove marker, bind off the next 36 sts (removing markers as you go along), knit 40 sts, remove marker, bind off the next 36 sts (removing markers as you go along), knit 20 sts.

In the next row, you're knitting until you get to the underarm (cast off sts) and using the cable cast-on to make 4 sts, knitting those 4 sts and the rest of the row until you get to the second underarm (cast off sts). Again, using cable cast-on, make 4 sts, knit those 4 sts, and then knit to the end of the row.

Abbers1026
05-20-2010, 02:31 PM
ok that's kinda what I thought just figured I'd double check

Abbers1026
05-21-2010, 11:48 PM
ok quick ? where the pattern says

Repeat rows 4-7 a total of 9 times. End with Row 4.

is that 9 more times after the first one or 9 total I know it really doesnt matter just would make it slightly longer or shorter just wondering

Jan in CA
05-22-2010, 12:02 AM

is that 9 more times after the first one or 9 total I know it really doesnt matter just would make it slightly longer or shorter just wondering

That is a little confusing, but I think since it says a "total of 9 times" you do rows 4-7 eight more times. Then do row 4 one more time and move on to the next directions.

alevtina
05-22-2010, 12:05 AM

You're right: it doesn't matter, just work it as long as you want to — or can — make it. I interpreted the pattern as saying that it's a total of 9 repeats (not 9 more repeats)... but I only had enough yarn to do 8 repeats.

WandaT
05-22-2010, 08:59 AM
They are adorable! Off to check out the pattern! THANKS!