PDA

View Full Version : Any Sock KAL 3

Pages : [1] 2

Jan in CA
05-19-2010, 12:17 AM
Dustina's computer is on the fritz so she asked me to start a new uncluttered thread for your sock discussion! The old will still be available as a read only if you need to find some old posts or info. :thumbsup:

jberry16
05-19-2010, 11:33 AM
So I guess after 1200+ pages of the anysock2 and over 12k posts it was time...boy we're a chatty bunch. Thanks Jan. Dustina I hope your computer is back to normal soon!

The.Knitter
05-19-2010, 01:44 PM
So this is our new home.... so let's see if we can fill it up!!! :cheering:

G J
05-19-2010, 04:44 PM
Dustina, we miss you! Hope your computer gets fixed soon! KH needs to get you an i-phone app!

jberry16
05-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Dustina, we miss you! Hope your computer gets fixed soon! KH needs to get you an i-phone app!
They'd have to get her an iphone too, :teehee: I think she still has Verizon, they dont have the iphone (yet) and so she needs a blackberry KH app...I have a droid & would love a KH app... Sheldon????

G J
05-19-2010, 08:15 PM
I have Verizon, too. Nothing fancy, though. Just talk and text.

jess_hawk
05-19-2010, 10:52 PM
I've got Verizon talk and text too.

So I got a vacation this weekend: we went to my cousin's graduation and then down to the lake. My dad's uncle (who last month was diagnosed with cancer and given 6 months) died Sunday in the early morning - apparently he wasn't in pain until the last couple of hours (and of course then they put him on morphine). His son can't get back (from California) until next week so they've postponed the funeral (sparking a bit of family drama, but whatever), so we got to finish our trip. The weather was a little cloudy and drizzly at first but lovely yesterday. We had a good time with the cousins who own the resort, caught some fish for once... toasted marshmallows over the second most pathetic fire I've ever seen (and the first one was built from graham cracker boxes and partially dried kelp).

And today, I drove, and drove, and drove... looking forward to my own bed tonight!

And this saturday I'm hoping to get back down to St. Louis to the Ren faire and WBS! It's a two hour drive or so each way, not too bad!

The.Knitter
05-20-2010, 07:12 AM
Today I weighed in at 165.4 so I've now lost 19 lbs.! No cigarettes since March 21, 2010 so I am nicotine free! I am on the last week of oxicontin (5 mg at night), then I will be narcotic free! I nearly lost my mind and probably my marriage doing all this but I am sort of coming back to "normal". I am going for couples counselling, trauma counselling, addiction counselling and we hope to walk out the other side of this mess as better people. Believe me, I need all the support I can get! Thanks my KH family!!! :hug:

The.Knitter
05-20-2010, 09:09 AM
I think Frank is a understanding enough person that the marriage will stand, but the counseling and the talking out of feelings is a very good idea. Even the best understanding can get lost in the heat of the moment. Frank still have the hots for you or is that a different type of heat? :shrug:

Just remember to meet Frank at the door every so often in that special outfit you have. :oops:

He's understanding but sometimes tempers flair and things get said in the heat of the moment that should not be said. I try to walk away when he gets like this, but he follows me from room to room yelling. He will have to learn to control that and just walk away until he is calm and can talk it out rationally. The counselling should help us both.

He claims he still does Chris. Did I tell you he has lost 25 lbs.? He is looking pretty hot himself! I don't have that outfit right now, I could not get it on by myself! LOL!!! :woohoo:

Jackie Lim
05-21-2010, 02:37 AM
:yay: ANY SOCK KAL 3:yay:

jess_hawk
05-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Her parents let her stand on the countertops. No wonder she likes everyone so much. I only got to stand on the counter when something wonderful and exciting was about to happen, or when nobody was around to see.

dustinac
05-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Hi my socksters! :hug:

Thank you so much Jan for setting this up :hug:

Thank you Christine for getting a hold of me and letting me know how full the other one had gotten :hug:been praying for you and Frank

Gina I miss you guys too...Julie is right we only have Verizon around here. I can get on some with the blackberry to take care of spam but looking and posting on the forum takes some work.

Emily hope you are having a good weekend!

Julie I don't think that is in the works...I do think iphone works on KH though.. and you can view the videos now...we need verizon to get the iphone!

Jackie-so glad to see ya

Chris-hope you are doing good

So first I lost my Eee pc and then JD lost his...with his crazy work week though he hasn't had time to really focus on it. He just decided to tear out the hard drive and put windows 7 on it...it worked...at first he just tried a hard drive that didn't work :teehee:...then he got mine going. Mom got her a Dell notebook but didn't like the size so got her a bigger one, I told her she should return the notebook but she said it was too late she told me she wanted me to have it . :happydance:I'm hoping I can do pictures on it that way I can blog without having to run downstairs to JD's computer :teehee:

Life is still crazy here I'm trying to get things wrapped up at the school. Where our president kinda got to busy it has fell on my lap and an another officer's to tie up things. I'm ready for next year to run smoothly and more organized.

We are also crazy with dance right now and I'll be happy when it is over. I got Roo's dress rehearsal schedule this week. The school isn't very close to us and the way her 3 dances hit on the schedule it will leave no time to run home. We will be at the school from like 2-8. Mom will meet me there and take Isaiah to his 4H meeting since he is the host that night. Isaiah is busy with 4-H and getting his project ready... :teehee:

I think I'm going home after the recital, I need a just sit down and swing while you knit kind of week. Knit what is that?

We are also getting a horse, our own horse, along with Amish Henry's colts. He will bring his this week to our pastures, I can't wait! Our horse will come after it is gilded but that won't be till the next full moon (that way it will heal faster :shrug:)

It has been rainy here and I'm ready for warm temps and some sun.

Miss you guys :hug:

G J
05-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Christine, you're on the way to better physical, emotional and mental health! I'm SO glad you're taking the right steps! Keep it up! Marriages go through ups and downs. It's NORMAL. And getting help through the downs is the smartest thing you can do. It's not the end of the marriage; it's what makes it stronger if you do the work it takes to make it through the tough times. Strength to you, my friend!

Emily, sorry about your uncle. Glad you had a good time with your family, though.

Chris, you make me LOL!

Jackie!:woot: How are you?!?

Dustina, SO good to hear from you! Your life sounds crazy right now. We miss you here, but understand. Can you knit at dance rehearsals? How nice that you get your mom's computer! And your own HORSE! WOW! We had a small gelding when I was a kid.

We have exams at school next week, and then my job is done. I'll miss it. The kids have been good (for the most part). I had the best parent-teacher conference yesterday. Two of my students got zeros on an assignment because they were IDENTICAL in every way. Since they were clearly told it was for a grade, that's a no-no. The dad wanted to talk with me, so the assistant principal and I met with him. I was nervous that the dad would be mad and demanding. Nope. He wanted to be sure that his son was not on downward slope in his character and wondered if he had cheated in other ways.

jess_hawk
05-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Emily hope you are having a good weekend!

We are also getting a horse, our own horse, along with Amish Henry's colts. He will bring his this week to our pastures, I can't wait! Our horse will come after it is gilded but that won't be till the next full moon (that way it will heal faster :shrug:)

It has been rainy here and I'm ready for warm temps and some sun.

Miss you guys :hug:

Well, I woke up this morning at 6 am to get going to St. Louis. It was foggy like crazy for about an hour and a half, and then I drove out into the sun. In the rearview mirror I could literally see a wall of fog.
It was hot, hot, hot out, but better than rain. Most of the faire was in the shade at least.
I got to say hi to a bunch of my old coworkers, which was great. I stopped at Varietees, a bird specialty store, and spent way too much money on three new perches (a cholla wood perch, a bamboo "manicure perch", and a new applewood perch), a circle rope perch that might either be the start of a playstand or else hopefully work as a shower perch, and a bunch of pieces to make a handful of new toys (With a few feet of cotton rope and a handful of plastic bits, I can make a pile of toys for the cost of just one crappy pre-made toy).
At the ren faire, I bought a "door harp." Picture a very small, four note dulcimer with four wooden balls hanging down, one to hit each note. It goes on a door so that when the door opens or closes, the notes play. The guy who sold it to me said he designed it (oh yeah, it's hand made) because of an ancient belief that chimes at doorways would keep out evil spirits. It needs tuned but it's really lovely (and I got a thinger to tighten or loosen the pins and tune it). The WBS show was good, as always.

As for the horse: So jealous! (though... I'm guessing you mean you're getting him gelded? gilding typically means covering something in a thin layer of metal, whereas gelding is castration.) It's been forever since I've gotten the chance to ride. I can't find a place that is both nearby, and in my budget. I miss the barn that had a work-for-riding deal: I'd go out and spend my morning doing barn chores, usually get fed lunch, and then take a horse out for a ride in the afternoon.

The.Knitter
05-23-2010, 09:29 AM
Horses, geez!!! Sorry, I just had to say it!

Anyways, yesterday I was very jumpy and antsy so we got in the car and went to see hubby's son. We had a good time, lots of laughs, he bought us supper and then we went to a park where there was a carousel! SO I RODE THE WHITE HORSE!!! I am a saddist or something! I had to successfully ride the white horse! It was fun!

Not much else happening for the rest of the weekend. It think DH will go get some laundry soap for me so we can do our laundry! I may try to knit too, we shall see how bad the anstyness is.

jess_hawk
05-26-2010, 01:07 PM
So yesterday was an exciting day in the world of my family. My grandma called my mom to let her know that she and Grandpa were going to the emergency room because Grandpa's side hurt and he could hardly move, so mom went to drive them since Grandma just had surgery and neither one could drive. Grandma and Grandpa live less than two blocks from the local emergency room, but Grandpa wanted to go to the big hospital in Iowa City. So mom ended up giving in and taking him there. As it turns out, he has a broken rib, probably from weedwhacking at my uncle's farm.

Grandpa's sister called while they were waiting to find that out, and it turns out that she was supposed to go pick up my mom's cousin who owns the resort at the Lake because one of her grandkids is having open-heart surgery tomorrow... but her husband was also in the emergency room, for a kidney stone. He's OK now, and I assume that she is on her way home.

BTW, prayers are requested for Evan, the little boy (he's 3 or 4 I think) who is having heart surgery tomorrow.

In the meantime, my dad went off to the recently deceased uncle's funeral, because the previous day there were some hysterics and fisticuffs at the visitation. Mom arrived in time to beat the funeral procession (we live less than a block from the cemetery) so that she could get showered and make herself presentable for the luncheon after.

And I thought it was exciting that I'm going shoe shopping this afternoon...

G J
05-26-2010, 07:55 PM
Christine, Good for you for getting back on a horse....even on a carousel.

Emily, your family sounds altogether TOO exciting right now. Time for things to calm down a bit!

Today was my last day on the long-term sub job. I'll miss it. I wish the regular teacher would quit or at least go part-time. I'd love to keep on, but it won't happen. Oh well.

I miss hearing from y'all!

jberry16
05-27-2010, 11:40 AM
:waving: y'all. I've been reading just not posting, been busy with the puppy and the yard and the kids and family in town. My mom's side has gone home and my cousin (Dad's neice) is in town now through the end of June.
I'm working on the second bsj still and would really like to have the sit down time to just finish it. sheesh.

The.Knitter
05-28-2010, 08:47 AM
Chris: No other man, hubby was with me when we went horsey riding. Thanks, the books will be greatly appreciated! I look forward to getting them.

Gina: I was nervous OF A WOODEN HORSE!!! Oh well, life goes on.

Julie: Take one day at a time! Sometimes that is all you can do!

So I am taking trauma counselling, couples counselling, financial counselling, physiotherapy, hydrotherapy and I am feeling a bit better these days! Almost every day is filled with something. It is good to keep me busy. I am not getting a lot of knitting done though. I can't seem to settle down and do it. The only time I settle is with the audio books. Then I listen for a while and fall asleep! Sleep is a precious commodity because I don't get much of it!

All the tests being done on me by the counsellors called me "severely depressed". Is it any wonder with all I've been through (their wording not mine)? Oh well, life goes on........

jberry16
05-28-2010, 09:11 AM
Chris: No other man, hubby was with me when we went horsey riding. Thanks, the books will be greatly appreciated! I look forward to getting them.

Gina: I was nervous OF A WOODEN HORSE!!! Oh well, life goes on.

Julie: Take one day at a time! Sometimes that is all you can do!

So I am taking trauma counselling, couples counselling, financial counselling, physiotherapy, hydrotherapy and I am feeling a bit better these days! Almost every day is filled with something. It is good to keep me busy. I am not getting a lot of knitting done though. I can't seem to settle down and do it. The only time I settle is with the audio books. Then I listen for a while and fall asleep! Sleep is a precious commodity because I don't get much of it!

All the tests being done on me by the counsellors called me "severely depressed". Is it any wonder with all I've been through? Oh well, life goes on........
1 day at a time is right, and that goes for you too. We're here for you when you need us. :hug:

jess_hawk
05-28-2010, 03:06 PM
I agree with Chris. Getting back on anything that looks even remotely like a horse is impressive.
I've only once seen someone really get thrown. She was riding a horse with the well deserved nickname of EZ, but every time she asked him to canter, something (probably his shadow) in the corner of the barn spooked him, and he would leap sideways and send her flying. She got back on twice, and the third time he threw her she hit the wall with a sound I hope I never hear again.
She was okay, but I don't think she ever rode again... and even I, sitting up on my favorite horse, had some second thoughts about the wisdom of the activity.

So congratulations on one step in the right direction!

lelvsdgs
05-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Hi! Christine encouraged me to come and join all of you sock knitters! I have a shawl that is almost off the needles and then its on to SOCKS!!!!

Excited to be starting with all of you...

jess_hawk
05-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Welcome and don't be shy about chiming in! We sometimes even actually talk about socks!

By the way, my knitting has pretty much disappeared under the pile of other crap I'm working on. I'm knitting vicariously through the rest of you, right? I still need to knit my second sock, but even that is on the back burner until I get things like Teenie's quilt done.

I have, however, finished the first draft of the novel I've been working on since Australia. (it's actually part one of a two part story, but it feels good to have SOMETHING finished!)

I set that aside and immediately got to work on a new typing project: When I got back from Ecuador, my dad was sure that my field journal was something I could just type up and send in to get it published. I've read the thing (obviously. I wrote it), and it's barely readable, let alone publishable... but now, four years later, I'm making an attempt to turn it into something that I can at least print up and give to him as a Christmas gift, if not fulfill dad's original idea and get it published. It's going fast, fortunately. On the other hand, when I get it done, I'm kind of worried that it will be bogged down in technical stuff that will completely lose anyone who is not a biologist.

And that's all besides weddings, birthdays, work, research, and the minor details like eating. And sleeping.

rachejm
05-30-2010, 02:55 PM
Welcome!!!

Hey all,

Sorry, I've been a little busy. You may remember I went for an interview about 7 weeks ago for another job. The checks finally came back and I got the job, it starts at the end of July for 5 weeks before I start my teaching course.

I've had no hours at work for 7 weeks, I wonder if that coincides with them being asked for a reference for my new job. Oh well, I don't really want to do any cleaning except my own atm anyway.

I have not really knit anything lately, except for a calorimetry that I managed to make in a few hours when it was cold and I had really horrid earache so wanted to keep my ears warm.

I've spent the last several days watching the French Open tennis and working on a badly neglected cross stitch that I started about 3 years ago before my cousins were born. It was supposed to be for their bedroom, maybe they'll get it eventually. I think that was around the time I started knitting things other than scarves and got a bit sidetracked. I've nearly finished chart 2 of 4. I'd love to show you guys but its a pattern from an old magazine so you will have to wait until its actually done, if that ever happens!

Hope you are all well!

Rache xxx

The.Knitter
05-31-2010, 03:32 PM
Hi! Christine encouraged me to come and join all of you sock knitters! I have a shawl that is almost off the needles and then its on to SOCKS!!!!

Excited to be starting with all of you...

Hey Lee, nice to see you here! Have a look around and also look at the same thread only #2 instead of #3. That's where all the pictures of our work is.

Had a major meltdown on Saturday night. Frank and I had a huge fight over a small thing (of course), but most embarrassingly enough at my DD's house, then we proceeded to fight for half an hour while I was driving home on the highway, then it carried on the next morning, until I asked to be taken to a walk-in clinic where I truly believed I would be committed. That did not happen. They did however give me tranquilizers to calm me down, stating my GP should have done this without me having to take a meltdown first. He said no one can do this withdrawal cold turkey, alone, with nothing and no support.

Anyways, met a new knitter that lives near me. She seems nice. She used to teach knitting so she is willing to share some tips with me. I am grateful for a new "friend". She also told me about a new drop in knitting group that happens each Monday night, so I shall see if that is nice.

jberry16
06-02-2010, 10:10 AM
:waving: Hi everyone
:hug: Christine

I've been super busy so far this summer, but not sure with what exactly. Not sure how I manage to fit school in (not this semester) :shrug: I haven't even had time to knit, I'll check back with y'all later, enjoy your summer

The.Knitter
06-03-2010, 11:33 AM
To be honest, Sunday I did not truly believe I would be committed! I was just finally letting off the steam that had been building up for 10 long months due to all that had happened to me. However, having said that, I went to my regular GP last night because I wanted all this on record, and he told DH that he thought I had had a nervous breakdown, after asking such questions (in front of me) as "did she go crazy?" and "was she nuts?" I made the arrangements today to change GPs to my DH's doctor in St. Catharines, who I really get along with well. Perhaps he can help me out of this muddle I am in. I still truly believe it is withdrawal related, and so do people I was visiting Sunday evening, AFTER all the storm blew over. I am NOT crazy, I am NOT nuts and I am not happy with his treatment of me. I have an appointment to see the new doctor next Tuesday at 2:15 and DH's appointment is for the same day at 11:00 a.m. Perhaps now I can get the kind of support I truly need and don't feel I have gotten.

I have to thank you all for standing behind me and supporting me through this horrendous time. It has been more hard than I have let on, but hopefully soon the drugs will be out of my system and I will feel much better in the near future!

:hug:

G J
06-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Hi friends,
Lots of news here. The biggest: Emmelyn and Amit broke up. She isn't talking to me about it and seems very sad, but in the end, it's good news. Thanks for your prayers and keep them coming. I don't want her going back to him. ALso, pray that she gets a good job offer for teaching. She had three interviews, but knows she didn't get two of the jobs. The third one is in the district we live in.

School is out for the summer. I loved my long-term sub job, but was disappointed that the regular teacher never bothered to say thank you. Oh well. I think she felt threatened by me b/c the kids said I was a better teacher than she was.
My neck has been really flared up and quite painful. Oh well. Despite that, I started sewing some stuff for the house yesterday. I hired someone to make some draperies for the bedroom and I can do better work than she did, so I'll do the rest myself. At least I'll try! I can only work for short spurts before I have to take a break, so it will likely take all summer to get it done. That's okay, though. I'm in no hurry.

Julie, how's the puppy? And the kids? And DH?

Lelvsdgs, welcome! Do you have a name you'd like us to use? Share a little about yourself, if you'd like! I can't knit socks because of hand issues not getting along with little needles, but I stick around because of the people here.

Emily, a novel, huh? Sounds great! Hope you find a publisher!

Rache, good to hear from you! Good luck on the new job! I used to do cross stitch (the really tiny stuff) but gave most of it away when we moved.

Christine, I'm so glad you've found a new doctor. You need someone who will really take care of you and who you trust to look out for your best interests. It sounds like your old doc didn't fit that bill at all!

In knitting news, I finished a chemo cap and need to find a new project that gets my knitting mojo going! I have10 balls of yarn (http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/nashua-handknits-natural-focus-ecologie-cotton), and would like to make a 3/4 length sleeve sweater, if that's enough yarn. I'm thinking maybe another FLS? But maybe a different lace pattern? I don't know. The color is kind of drab. <sigh> Can you tell I'm not excited about it yet?

jess_hawk
06-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Christine - :hug: I hope things improve with the new GP.

Gina - It's too bad that Emmelyn was in that kind of situation. I hope she gets the job!
You know, someone should design finer guage needles with big grips. *starts thinking.* Oh, I totally don't need ANOTHER project right now, but I have an idea on how to do straights. How could I modify this for circs? *adds 'special knitting needles' to list of Things to Make and Do.*
As for your yarn - I think that is a lovely color and cotton makes a great sweater. find a pattern you really love and go for it!

As for my novel - it will be a long, long time before I even start looking for a publisher for that. I want Part II written before I do that.
On the other hand, I'm nearly done with the typing on my Ecuador 'travel memoir.' I hate the word memoir, by the way, because the word makes me think of old ladies sitting around telling stories about their boyfriends in WWII, or perhaps people on Safari during the period when the Europeans still occupied most of Africa. Froofy people sitting around drinking tea. That kind of thing. Which can be great stories... just not exactly the same as what I'm writing. Anyway, off that tangent... once I finish, I have a round of editing to do and then I send it to be critiqued by some non-biologists, and IF they like it, I might try to get it published for real instead of just printing up a couple of copies on www.createspace.com (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/www.createspace.com) for me, my dad, and maybe my professor.
That's a big IF, but I'm being cautiously optimistic.

jberry16
06-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Dang Chris, you must be old or something, lol, jk just lots of wisdom...Christine I ditto what he said ;)

Gina puppy is great, she actually is whining to go outside to potty now, she's so funny. Dh is great, kids are great and life is all around good here. :woohoo: :woot: that Em broke up with Amit, I'm sure the story will come out later, continued prayers that she doesn't go back or rebound with another idiot. :hug: God always answers prayers, might not be in our time, or what we want but He does answer- you know that.

ok gotta run and take Jacob to get some food and then to his basketball practice...after today only 2 games and 1 practice left, I'll be glad to have my Thurs. and Sats free again, but will miss the chaos I'm sure. Humm, maybe swim lessons for all 3? Am I that crazy yet? maybe not...........

jess_hawk
06-03-2010, 08:39 PM
I passed my test for orange belt today!

rachejm
06-04-2010, 06:28 AM
Hey all,

Well done on the belt, Jess!!!

Gina Em will talk about it when she's ready, but I'm glad that she is no longer with him, just let her know you're there if she needs you.

Christine :hug: , I won't bother adding more advice, I think Chris has that covered.

So, I gave up on cross stitch again, having finished off chart two. I looked at chart three and just trying to figure out where to start gave me a headache so I decided to leave it for a bit. I picked up a blanket to knit while I watch tennis instead. Its a log cabin I started at the beginning of last year, then ditched for a baby blanket that needed doing more quickly. Since I put this one down I really haven't had the will to go back to it, its such a lot of garter stitch. However, as I sat watching Rafa Nadal on Weds I felt a little cold, and remembered this blanket, that is just big enough to cover my knees while I knit it. Its got warmer now so progress is slowing again. Maybe its time to cast on a new sock.

The.Knitter
06-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Jess: Congratulations on passing your orange!

Julie: Thanks for the support, as always!

Chris: Where to I begin to thank you for putting into words something that will probably give you nightmares for a few nights now. At times I am so muddled and befuddled. I did not think about the fact that even though I no longer take those God forsaken pills, they are still coming out of my system and all at once now. For now I have a small dosage of diazepam keeping me level, but I still feel times when my chest feels like someone is sitting on me. When I asked the GP for counselling help, he said "it is not in my area of expertese". I am so glad to be getting rid of him on TUESDAY at 2:15 p.m. However, now my doctor will be one hour away by car. This is my DH's doctor and he is really easy to talk to, and thorough. I quite like the man.

We had couples counselling last night and the counsellor, like Chris, did not seem surprised that this argument had excillated so quickly and fiercly. He also said it was the drugs coming out of my system, and NOT a nervous breakdown. I also had hydrotherapy yesterday and the therapist said "if you had had a real nervous breakdown you would not be here today, you would be home in bed not functioning. The fact that you got up, got dressed, cleaned your house, visited with a minister at your house and made him tea and then came here proves that this is NOT a nervous breakdown. It does however prove that you need some attention in areas of your life, where counselling will probably benefit you". I told her I was taking counselling and she said that was a good thing.

I met a new knitting person recently and she suggested that for a while until I am more calm, I do only mindless knitting. I had a sock OTN, just a plain sock, and I had it past the gusset, so the other day I knit until I was to the toes. Today I will try to knit the toes in and then I will leave the grafting for another time, I'll just put the stitches onto holders for now and start on sock #2, going round and round.

The minister I met yesterday is from a "community" church down the street. It is a non-denominational church. The pastor was really good with me and I quite enjoyed talking with him. When school lets out, he is bringing a group of boys here and they are going to paint my apartment in lighter, brighter colours to help with the depression! I can't wait for that to happen! We are going to church on Sunday for the first time in a very long time! I know it will help me, I hope it helps my husband too. It will give us a sense of community!

The Bible I was given is the one used by this church, so I am once again grateful to my guardian angel for sending that to me! xoxo

The bad news is that when the manager of the trailer park went in to show the trailer to some prospective buyers, the ceiling in the bedroom has gone rotten and is ready to fall in. That means our "insurance policy" money (from selling said trailer) is out the window because we will have to get rid of it instead. We are quite upset about this because we thought we would get about $5,000.00 for the trailer. I am going to check and see if the ceiling in the bedroom is covered by the insurance, but at this point I am not hopeful! Right now I am so broke I can't pay attention.......

And life goes on.........

jberry16
06-04-2010, 09:52 AM
Christine Grandma always says sometimes you have to hit rock bottom and be sliding around in a mud pit before you can find the ladder to be able to climb out. She also says she's found herself looking up to see bottom. Hang in there girl & pray. We'll continue to pray for you and be here for you, sounds like your getting local support and that will help a lot! Sorry to hear about the damn roof in the trailer, not cool. Is there any way you could get a job, part time, say at a walmart as a door greeter or something similar to give you a sense of purpose and something to do every day?

Emily congrats on the orange belt! :happydance: How many more till you get your black belt?

Jacob asked yesterday if we could go to daily Mass today, so we're all up dressed, and eating breakfast & will be at Mass at 9am. Not sure what made him ask, but the girls all want to go too so we're going.

G J
06-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Hi friends,
Emmelyn has been talking to Amit. :wall: Please pray that she truly feels that this is NOT the man for her. He's so manipulative and makes her feel bad about herself. NOT marriage material for MY girl!
So this is really weird: I was at knit night at church and a new lady came. She's from the neighborhood and had an Indian accent. I was telling my friends that E & A broke up and that I was relieved b/c he was so controlling and I just wasn't comfortable with their relationship. To make a long story short, she's GOOD FRIENDS with A's family and met E at their house last weekend!!!! It was a bit awkward! She couldn't believe they broke up and even wondered if A's parents knew about it. If they didn't before, they will now! In the end, we agreed that they were too young to get married. They both have growing up to do, etc..... :aww:

Rache and Julie, I'm not pushing E to talk with me. You're right...she'll talk when she's ready. I did, however, give a mutual friend the heads-up about it and she may see E today.

Chris, good insights! Thanks for sharing.

Emily, congrats!

Christine, take each day as it comes. Thanks for sharing your struggles. I know we don't do much to ease your burdens, but at least we can "listen." I'm so glad you're getting support. And you know I'm happy you went to church! Remember that churches are not perfect, and neither are the people in them! But I'm SO glad they're helping you out! I hope insurance covers the trailer issues!

G J
06-04-2010, 01:09 PM
I almost forgot: I bought a pattern for a sweater. What do you think? It's called Nantucket Red (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/nantucket-red), but mine won't be red unless I decide to overdye the yarn, which I just might do!

jess_hawk
06-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Christine - :hug: as always. We're always here for you no matter what!

You have to take a test to be able to have your pants not fall down? I am soooooo confused :shrug:

:roflhard:

Emily congrats on the orange belt! :happydance: How many more till you get your black belt?

Ummm... Green is next, then Blue, Purple, Red (one and two stripe reds, but I haven't figured out how that works), red and black, and black. So it will be a while.

Please pray that she truly feels that this is NOT the man for her. He's so manipulative and makes her feel bad about herself. NOT marriage material for MY girl!

I'll keep praying for her.

I actually have a couple of relationship prayer requests too.
I've got one cousin getting married in a couple of weeks and another with a live-in boyfriend. I don't know either guy well enough to judge, but both of them made me uneasy when I met them and both girls (for different reasons) are ones who I could see getting themselves stuck in bad relationships. Divine supervision may be called for in both cases. Thank God the twins both found good guys.

jberry16
06-08-2010, 05:13 PM
I'm sitting outside watching Jacob and his buddy swim in the pool and it's nearing 100 here, hot, but I am enjoying it. Tonight is knitnight! I'm in need of it.
For those of you not on fb, I had to take Katie to the doc last night to have them remove a popcorn kernal from her nostril, crazy girl! She was scared to death & her nose had started swelling, glad it was a quick proceedure.

Gina how wild that that lady knew A's family. I'll keep praying for E to be strong! I think that sweater is very pretty & would look great on you! what color yarn do you have?

I haven't been knitting much, I'm not quite 1/2 way done with the second BSJ, now my one cousin who was sure she was having a boy is having a hard time seeing what the baby is in the ultrasound, and the doc is leaning towards a girl-not sure why. I asked her to find out what the heart beat is and she said she would next visit. The obgyn she's using does an ultrasound at each visit. Who knows I may have a boy sweater just waiting in the wings for someone...I'm going to send this cousin a sweater for sure. The other cousin may just get a hat and socks, not decided yet. The one cousin is having a girl & there are lots of pretty yarns out there for girls & cute hat patterns too.

G J
06-17-2010, 12:04 AM
Wow. It's quiet on here!
I actually finished a knitting project! It's posted on Ravelry here (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/GinaKnits/hallowig), if you want to see it!

I miss y'all, but have been very busy making stuff for the house and tutoring and spending time with the family. I posted pictures on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/editphoto.php?aid=60324&success=4&failure=0#%21/album.php?aid=60324&id=1448897696&upload=1)if anyone wants to see!

DD (E) had an interview today on the north side of Houston and there's a great outlet mall there that she likes, so we made a day of it. We had fun, but afterward, I was supposed to drop her off at a Bible study that she and A go to, only he didn't want to drive her home afterwards. He lives all of about 15 min. from our house, but he was too tired. I didn't say much, but my feeling was that the guy is a lazy loser who can't be bothered to go out of his way for someone he "loves". GRRRRR! She tried to make all kinds of arrangements for someone to pick her up, or even for her to drive her own car (an extra hour of driving on HER part), but nothing was going to work, so in the end, he agreed to drive her home. We'll see if he does!
She did get two job offers!:cheering: One for our local district and another in Pasadena, about an hour from here.

DS just asked us what we thought if he proposed to his girlfriend while we're at my folks' place in WA! Whew!

The.Knitter
06-17-2010, 09:34 AM
So I finally gave in and let the doctor give me the anti-depressants (Celexa). BIG MISTAKE!!! For two days now I have had diarrhea, nauseous feelings, sleeping all the time and hurting everywhere. I think I am allergic to these things. I stopped them. I will try to weather this storm myself. We shall see how things go.

I'm too sick to even go to my physio, but hydrotherapy is just down the street and I am going to try to get to that today.

Thanks for all your support. It is VERY much appreciated.

jess_hawk
06-17-2010, 06:45 PM
Sunshine is a natural anti-depressant.

I had a camp counselor once who also claimed that peeing was a natural antidepressant.
Oh, wait... that was "If you smile while you're in the latrine, you'll pee more."

(Camp counselors are wierd.)

But Christine - I agree with Chris. Talk to your doctor about other options!

The.Knitter
06-18-2010, 01:15 PM
I've over the years tried (a long time ago) Prozac, Zoloft, Amitryptilene and most recently Diazepam and Celexa. There are no other options for me. I feel hopeless. I was even invited to my DD's house today and could not force myself to drive that far. I am dizzy, and fuzzy headed and nauseous. I don't feel good at all. When I asked my "doctor" about counselling he said "this is not my area of expertise" so he is not going to be any help to me at all. He was on holidays for the last two weeks and his father took over for him. His father is the one that asked about why I needed counselling and his father is the one that told me to take the Celexa, which made me quite sick a few days ago and I have not recovered from that yet.

G J
06-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Christine, Drugs aren't always the answer, and for you, it sounds like they're not. You may want to research natural remedies for depression and pain. I know there are several. Don't expect a family doctor to do counseling. Ask for a referral! Anyone in Chronic pain needs counseling to learn how to deal with the current reality. Just tell him that! (BTW, is this your new doc, or the old one you don't like?)

For those of you who are interested, here's (http://www.jrsbible.info/bible.htm) an interesting link. Christine, there's some really good stuff at the bottom of that page and I know you were looking for some of it!

Chris, I totally agree!

Emily, LOL!:roflhard:

HOpe the rest of you are well! I miss hearing from you!

jess_hawk
06-19-2010, 01:07 AM
So, this weekend.
My brother's 21st birthday was Wednesday.
My dad's 50th was today (complete with massive surprise party... AND he was actually surprised)
My brother's triathlon tomorrow morning (You want me to get up at WHAT time? Good luck, bro... tell me how it went when you get home).
My cousin's wedding tomorrow afternoon.
Possible post-cousin's-reception family party (because my cousin's family is kind of strange and anti-social).
Father's day Sunday, with lunch hopefully cooked by my dad (on Mother's day, dad cooks. On Father's day, dad cooks... there seems to be a pattern here).
My oldest (in terms of length-of-friendship, not age) friend (Brenna) is coming to visit Sunday afternoon and staying until Monday.

why is it that EVERYTHING happens at the same time? lol. At least it's all good this time.

Sunday is going to be fun. I haven't seen Brenna in about a year, and we're going to be breaking out the world atlas to pare down what my cousin calls 'the bucket list of countries' to something doable in six months to a year. I mentioned thinking about an around-the-world trip after my PhD, and, although I have many friends with whom I would love to travel, Brenna is the only one who I could really see dropping everything to go do it. Really, Sunday's mapping activity is just fun for two girls with wanderlust (and currently bored stiff with everyday life), but I think both of us are hoping that it will evolve into a real trip.

QOTD: If you had unlimited money and time, what are the top five places on earth that you would like to visit?

Mine: (Currently, at least. The top three have been there since I was about eight, Madagascar has been a top-ten for just as long, and Angkor Wat is a fairly new one)
1. Antarctica
2. Ireland
3. Nepal or Tibet - somewhere in the Himalaya
4. Madagascar
5. Angkor Wat (Cambodia)

rachejm
06-19-2010, 06:41 AM
Christine, sorry the drugs aren't working out. There are loads of other treatments out there though. Might be worth researching for yourself if the doctor is unhelpful, then you can ask for a referral.

Hey all,

I've finished the TA course, all passed, just need to hand in my folder. I had to do a presentation on Tuesday, the feedback was really positive, she said I looked confident and like I was enjoying it - that is not something that I am told a lot, usually when I'm standing in front of a group of people I am told that I look/sound nervous. It was nice to hear.

I have also been sent a load of work to do before I start my teaching course, it involves reading lots of Harry Potter, Roald Dahl and Lemony Snicket so I can mix that up with the more boring bits and maybe manage to get through it all. I'm off stationery shopping today to stock up on things.

My blanket is progressing slowly, since there was no tennis to watch this week and watching England play football (soccer) is akin to watching paint dry so I usually watch something else. I can't knit through Grey's Anatomy.

Anyway, I'm gonna go get ready to go out.

Have a lovely weekend!

The.Knitter
06-19-2010, 09:59 AM
Gina: I've applied for the counselling and am waiting for my appointment. I've tried St. John's Wort as well as all the other things on the list above and nothing helps. I give up on the pills. The pain pills are what got me started on this terrible road I'm on now. They HAVE to be out of my system by now don't they? It's been three or four weeks since I stopped taking them altogether. I am having a hell of a time with depression. I keep getting told to go to a hospital and ask to be admitted, but I really don't want to do that. I don't like being in that hospital at all. And life goes on..........

P.S. Gina, thanks for that page, it's very interesting! Someone spent a lot of time on that.

jberry16
06-19-2010, 11:49 AM
So, this weekend.
My brother's 21st birthday was Wednesday.
My dad's 50th was today (complete with massive surprise party... AND he was actually surprised)
My brother's triathlon tomorrow morning (You want me to get up at WHAT time? Good luck, bro... tell me how it went when you get home).
My cousin's wedding tomorrow afternoon.
Possible post-cousin's-reception family party (because my cousin's family is kind of strange and anti-social).
Father's day Sunday, with lunch hopefully cooked by my dad (on Mother's day, dad cooks. On Father's day, dad cooks... there seems to be a pattern here).
My oldest (in terms of length-of-friendship, not age) friend (Brenna) is coming to visit Sunday afternoon and staying until Monday.

why is it that EVERYTHING happens at the same time? lol. At least it's all good this time.

Sunday is going to be fun. I haven't seen Brenna in about a year, and we're going to be breaking out the world atlas to pare down what my cousin calls 'the bucket list of countries' to something doable in six months to a year. I mentioned thinking about an around-the-world trip after my PhD, and, although I have many friends with whom I would love to travel, Brenna is the only one who I could really see dropping everything to go do it. Really, Sunday's mapping activity is just fun for two girls with wanderlust (and currently bored stiff with everyday life), but I think both of us are hoping that it will evolve into a real trip.

QOTD: If you had unlimited money and time, what are the top five places on earth that you would like to visit?

Mine: (Currently, at least. The top three have been there since I was about eight, Madagascar has been a top-ten for just as long, and Angkor Wat is a fairly new one)
1. Antarctica
2. Ireland
3. Nepal or Tibet - somewhere in the Himalaya
4. Madagascar
5. Angkor Wat (Cambodia)

Your post made me tired. Hope you enjoy your event filled weekend.
As for the QOTD my answers would be.....
1. Ireland
2. Germany
3. Scotland
4. England
5. Australia

Mainly I just wanna see Ireland, someday. But I'd love to go to Germany too. I think it's important to see the countries my great great grandparents came from..

Christine, hugs! I dont have any other info for you that wasn't already given or suggestions. sorry.

Gina I hope DD stays away from A. Maybe she's feeling like she needs to be with someone because of DS being so close to his GF? Maybe she doesn't realize this and it's in the back of her mind, just a thought. My deacon once told me that you have to kiss many frogs before you find your prince.
the hair hat is funny & I love your sewing projects, very pretty (elegant) material. Nice job!

G J
06-19-2010, 12:51 PM
QOTD:
New Zealand, Australia, Greece, England, Scotland or Ireland (okay, let's just make a trip of the UK!), Somewhere in Asia, not sure where....

I've been to the Netherlands, Germany, Austria, France, Italy, Belgium, Israel, Canada (both coasts, not the middle), and Mexico.
So let's add to the QOTD: Where have you already traveled? When, where, why?
Right after i graduated high school, my family went to Europe. My mom's sister was living in the Netherlands and my oldest sister was studying in Germany. We rented an uncle's RV and drove through Europe for two weeks. About 10 years ago, we were given a trip to Israel with Ray Vander Laan, who does the videos, "That the World May Know." Awesome trip! Made the Bible come alive! Canada: Honeymooned in Victoria, Anniversary trip to Toronto, Niagra Falls, etc., Mexico, Tijuana in High school and a little town not far from Brownsville, TX a couple of times with the inlaws during spring break.

Emily, your weekend sounds busy, but fun! Enjoy every minute!

Rache, YAY on finishing the class well! Can you be a TA now or do you have to finish more classes?

Christine, Unless your hospital has a really good psych ward for depression, don't check in unless you are suicidal. Most US hospitals have psych wards, but they treat mostly substance abuse and aren't equipped for depression. The meds you were on are probably NOT out of your system yet. They get in your muscles, which is one reason exercise will help you and I'm SO glad you went to your aquatics class. Glad you liked the link. The stuff at the bottom is really good.

Julie, I wish they would stay apart, but they're together every day. Yesterday, they made dinner for his family. It was something E knew she wouldn't like, but A liked it, so she made it. WHY!?! She'd be mad if I made it at home!
I like the fabric I used for the decor stuff, too. I got it for more than 75% off and have a lot of extra. I'm going to make a cornice box next week. I've never done that before, so we'll see how it goes! Nick (DS) is going to help.

jberry16
06-19-2010, 01:24 PM
Gina's QOTD, where have we been and why?
I'll start with the states first; most of these were camping trips.
Texas, OK, KS, NE, SD, WY, NV, CA, CO, AZ, NM (duh), (honeymoon in Branson,) Missouri, (rest of honeymoon @ drag strip in) Illinois/Indiana We were in both states (I think) because the dragstrip is very close to the border of one of them, if I'm wrong I'll come back on here and correct myself. & then I flew into SC with a layover in GA (if that counts, since I only saw the airport).
Never been to Mexico, never wanted to go; seen it, just never crossed the border.
Flew to Toronto, for World Youth Day in 2002? to see Pope John Paul II, very incredible & very moving.

Guess that's it.

Gina, that sucks; she's trying to please him because she doesn't want to be alone, she likes being engaged. (that's my thought anyway)

jess_hawk
06-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Christine - I hope you figure something out! :hug::grphug:

Gina - still saying prayers for your DD!

So let's add to the QOTD: Where have you already traveled? When, where, why?

With my family I've been to about 39 states - we've been traveling the country since I was two. On my own, I've done Alaska, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, Washington, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts. (I've never been to Hawaii, Oregon, Arkansas, or Connecicut)
The family has also been to Quebec and Ontario.
When I was thirteen I spent two weeks in Japan with Sister Cities, which has an exchange program between the middle schools.
In 2006, three weeks in Ecuador for a tropical biology course.
In 2008, semester in Australia (with a stop at the airport at New Zealand. New Zealand and Washington are my 'Blue Spots' - places where I've only been to the airports. I have a world map where I stick pins in all of the places I've been, and I use blue pins for 'airport only' (red is for 'residence,' green for school trips, yellow for travel on my own/with friends, and white for family)
In 2009, Jamaica and Grand Cayman, cruise with the cousins.

Stories told at Dad's party: Dad and Dan bought my younger cousins (including the 17-yr-old) and my brother margaritas in Jamaica... at 8 am... before they went to do a four-wheeler excursion. Following this was a story about how, in college, dad and his best friends went out four-wheeling through a certain area of our hometown after closing down the bars one night... and wound up flipping a vehicle.

There's a reason my mom tells Dad and his best friend (who kind of scared me as a kid but now I know how awesome he is: he went ice climbing in Nepal last year) that they can't hang out if they're going to tell college stories in front of their kids:rofl:.

lelvsdgs
06-19-2010, 01:51 PM
I've over the years tried (a long time ago) Prozac, Zoloft, Amitryptilene and most recently Diazepam and Celexa. There are no other options for me. I feel hopeless. I was even invited to my DD's house today and could not force myself to drive that far. I am dizzy, and fuzzy headed and nauseous. I don't feel good at all. When I asked my "doctor" about counselling he said "this is not my area of expertise" so he is not going to be any help to me at all. He was on holidays for the last two weeks and his father took over for him. His father is the one that asked about why I needed counselling and his father is the one that told me to take the Celexa, which made me quite sick a few days ago and I have not recovered from that yet.

Unfortunately, in doing some quick research, you may be right. Most of the anti-depression meds out there have the same basic side effects that you are experiencing. Don't give up though, the counselling may really help you and they may have some other ideas about what to do to get you some help. Hang in there, I know you've been through hell but please don't give up....:muah: :grphug:

jess_hawk
06-20-2010, 12:47 AM
Christine, I agree with what Chris said, I hadn't thought of that! Family doctors specialize in dealing with everyday health issues, but you wouldn't want your physician to be making the final decision, for instance, as to whether you need open-heart surgery.

So, my happy thought for the day: My dad's best friend (the one recently returned from Nepal) called to get the scoop on my mom's cousin. Her husband died about four years ago and we don't know if she's ready or interested in a relationship, but if she is... Well, to put it succinctly, there are many reasons that we believe this would be a good man for her.
Although, a few hours after he called, mom suddenly realized that if things worked out between her cousin and him, she would be sort of related to him... and she claimed to be horrified at the thought.

Julie - what part of Iowa/Illinois were you in? I'm familiar with the border. Must be pretty far south... is there a drag strip in Keokuk?

rachejm
06-20-2010, 08:49 AM
Gina, I could be a TA now if I wanted but there are no specific qualifications that you need in order to do it, I was doing the course mainly to get some classroom experience. I'm gonna do the teacher training course next and then hopefully have a classroom of my own instead of working in someone else's.

QOTD
Egypt
Kenya
USA
Germany
New Zealand

If money and time were no object I could quite happily do an around the world trip but that is my current top 5. Egypt has been on my list since I was around 10 and I will go one day - my friend has been trying to convince me to go with her on a cruise down the Nile, I'm tempted but it will have to wait a few years.

I have visited lots of different places in England and Wales but have not yet managed to visit anywhere that involves a passport, I don't have one (yet!). My favourite place is a little town called Saundersfoot on the Welsh coast.

jberry16
06-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Julie - what part of Iowa/Illinois were you in? I'm familiar with the border. Must be pretty far south... is there a drag strip in Keokuk?
Well I feel like an idiot; it takes place at Gateway International Raceway in St. Louis, MO. :doh:

jess_hawk
06-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Julie - lol! No problem. Next time, turn north up Hwy 61 and visit the great state of Iowa. :teehee:

I showed off my Fair Isle sweater to my professor's wife today. She's trying to learn to knit socks. I'm dropping hints that she should come join us here. She couldn't figure out dpns, so she's now trying Magic Loop and doing better.

Brenna and I came up with six must-see places, including Antarctica via Argentina. We also have four additional 'While we're at it...' places: Australia or New Zealand to finish off her 7 continents (Our Big Six covers 5 continents)... Kenya, South Africa, or Tanzania (because honestly, who goes to Africa and doesn't do a safari to see zebras and lions and elephants and such)... and 'Somewhere in Western Europe' because I insisted that 10 places was a good number and we couldn't choose a place. My current trip plan calls for about 9 months of travel, looping the world starting to the west. Now I have six years to do logistics. (or, five and a half years to procrastinate and six months to panic.)

Hope everyone is well! :hug:

dustinac
06-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Good Morning Socksters!
Christine-I'm so sorry that you are going through this rough time and will continue to pray for you, frank, and your family. Just remember your never alone and that you are loved. :hug:

Gina-Will continue to keep E in my prayers. Since she broke up she must see something, hopefully one of the jobs will call her back and she can move on. :hug:

Julie-Its busy here as well and I'm not sure realy with what just seems not much extra time for knitting here either :teehee:

Rachel-Yay on finishing your classes! :happydance:

Chris-What an experience you had not only in Vietnam but in your cubicle. Was anything ever done? Was there someone higher to go to? I agree with everything you have said with Christine...thank you for being here to share that with her.

Emily-Congrats on your belt and your traveling list! I gotta go with Julie I really really wanna see Ireland one day : )

lelvsdgs-Welcome to group! :hug:

The.Knitter
06-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Thanks so much for never giving up on me. It means a lot! I am not on the computer much these last few weeks. I spend a lot of time watching "Two and a Half Men" and trying to make myself laugh or listening to audio books and occupying my mind. I am actually knitting a sock while doing this and I am at the heel of said sock.

I am on NO MEDS for anything other than the IBS now. Monday I was three months without a cigarette. Monday I also went to the specialist about my knee and he told me "there is absolutely nothing wrong with you, your breaks are all healed and I have no idea why your knee gives you any pain". I contacted my lawyer and said that with a report like that on my file, he might as well go ahead and settle the law suit so we can pay off our debts and get on with life.

Don't misunderstand me, I am very happy that my breaks are all healed. I have worked hard towards that goal. However, there is something going on with my knee and now it will stay that way for the rest of my life because neither my GP or the specialist believe me when I say what I feel.

Life goes on.

Again, to each and every single one of you, I thank you for the love, patience and understanding you have shown me through this, the hardest thing I think I have ever gone through.

Hugs to each and every one of you! xoxo :hug:

The.Knitter
06-23-2010, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the group hug. Apparently menopause has some sort of affect on me at this time as well as all the other things my poor old body is trying to deal with. I will just keep on plugging along and see how things work out for me.

Again I truly do appreciate all the support you, my online knitting family, give me! I am working on the heel flap for sock #2 now. I'll let you know when the gusset attack starts!

:hug:

The.Knitter
06-24-2010, 01:10 PM
Thanks Chris for the information. My Dad bought me one of those machines years ago when I had the first whiplash. I used it a lot. I still have it here but did not try it this time. I was listening to the doctors and doing what I was told to do for once (silly me).

Anyways, I'll chat later, I have to go to hydrotherapy.

Hugs,
Christine

G J
06-29-2010, 09:42 AM
Chris, I don't have a clue. I found something similar in my house, but there's a part of a sweater attached and the stuff feels kind of cottony. Hmmmmm. What could it be?!?:shrug:

jberry16
06-29-2010, 09:44 AM
I was cleaning my den and came across some long stringy stuff that seems to be made of wool. This stringy stuff was wrapped into a ball and looked like hockey pucks only thicker. In the same bag were some long pointy sticks and some pointy sticks with a piece of fishing line or plastic line between the pointy sticks. There were also some of these sticks that looked like they had half a sock on them. Does anyone know what all this stuff is and how it is used?

:hair:
:?? very interesting.
something tells me you need to take some R&R time and knit! :roflhard:

Silly me, thought I'd have all this time to knit during summer break, I haven't knit 1 thing I wanted to knit this summer. I have made 2 bsj & will go buy yarn for #3 today, made 1 out of blue/green one with pink, yellow and blue & now since the blue/green one is of no use currently I will be making another girly one. sigh.
I really wanted to have a cardigan or 2 done for this fall, that's probably not going to happen. Maybe after the 4th (since we have a big get together) I'll ignor the house and get a cardigan or 2 done, I have the yarn, just not the time. sheesh. :shrug:

jess_hawk
06-29-2010, 01:06 PM
:roflhard: Chris!
I'm sure you'll figure out what those are and what they're for.

I came up 3 (two-inch) strips short on my quilt making. So I had to have my mom buy more fabric and mail it to me. I WILL have this quilt top finished by friday, I will I will! (If I can have the top done Friday, I can lay it out and quilt it this Saturday, and next week do the binding, and have it done by the wedding! woo! And then I can go find my own bag of stringy, wooly stuff. I've got half a sweater on some of those weird sticks, and a bit of sock on some other weird sticks, myself.

rachejm
06-29-2010, 01:39 PM
Chris, I have a whole drawer full of this stuff, when you figure out what it is let us know. Perhaps the House Elves are playing tricks on us.

Its been too hot to contemplate even holding wool lately. I've been playing Lego Harry Potter on the Wii instead. Problem is I get motion sickness from certain video games, they call it simulator sickness. I can't play it for very long at a time. Hopefully it will get a bit better as I get used to it, at least that is what reading about it led me to believe. I like the game though, only thing is that you have to use your wand for everything and sometimes it doesn't register that you should be able to use a spell on an item so you have to move around until it does!

jess_hawk
06-30-2010, 01:09 AM
I finished the outer squares! woot! (For a broken star, there's 8 big diamonds, made up of 49 little diamonds each, that make up the inner star. Around that are 8 big squares, which in my quilt are made up of 16 little squares. Around that are 24 big diamonds, which I will be able to finish as soon as I get that last fat quarter in the mail; and to finish it out are 8 more big squares and some big triangles - the triangles will just be plain fabric, no little pieces making them up. Although if I have time, I'd like to make the border out of little 2x2 squares (yes, as a matter of fact, I am completely insane. Why do you ask?)

The.Knitter
07-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Working hard on getting rid of this depression. I have reached all over trying to get help and went so far today as to almost admitting myself to hospital. Came home instead, called the Crisis Line and she had some very helpful things to say, the first of which was "get rid of that doctor!!!" Tomorrow, hubby and I are going to get a new doctor. Perhaps then I'll get my life back!

G J
07-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Julie, I'll bet you're spending more time with the kids than knitting this summer! That's a good thing!

Rache, hope you're not still getting motion sickness from your game! Yuck! That would be enough to make me try another game!

Emily, your quilt sounds amazing! Can't wait to see pics.

Christine, I thought you had found another doctor last month! Lose the guy already! You NEED someone who will take care of your needs!

Speaking of doctors....I ended up in the ER this morning with severe pain. They thought it was kidney stones, but that was negative....Probably severe muscle spasms or a gall bladder attack. Morphine barely touched the pain, so they gave me something stronger that made me really loopy. So my day was shot. At least the pain is better!

The.Knitter
07-02-2010, 02:44 PM
We went to a doc today who sent us away because she was too busy but promised to see us tomorrow. I could not go before now because Dr DumDum had finally (after 6 months of waiting) ordered an appointment with a specialist and I needed that appointments ordered by a doctor or it would have cost me $2,500.00 to have it. Now I am free to choose who I can go to see. We will be at the doc's office tomorrow morning at 8:30 to wait in line to get to her. She is quite popular, so I'm told. A female will be more understanding of me!

Thanks once again for all your support. :hug:

jberry16
07-03-2010, 09:00 AM
Gina you're right, spending time with the kids & that's more important than anything else! How scary about the ER visit, hope all is well and that pain doesn't come back. Appendix? I didn't have any pain with my appendix, but then again I didn't have labor pain till the id was almost crowning. :hug:

Christine hope you get in to see the new doc soon & I hope she is able to understand and help you. :hug:

Hope you all have a safe & happy 4th of July! God Bless America, & fast! we need all the help we can get.

The.Knitter
07-04-2010, 12:52 AM
New doc turned us down because she does not want to go to court. She gave me another phone number to call to get a doctor in the area. She agreed I need a change. We shall see. Next week I need to find a doctor!

jess_hawk
07-04-2010, 12:57 AM
Think of Frank in pretty pink boxer shorts with little hearts on them.

They actually make these, I think. If you gave him some, I bet it would make you laugh.
If you can't find any, I can make you some.
:hug: Oh, and one of my favorite YouTube videos for your amusement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_ryNJVreiY
(it's clean and kid friendly, too, folks: enjoy and share!)

Also, as I'm working at cataloging specimens for the university, I am entering the data into the computer. I finally finished the birds (:woohoo::woot::yay::cheering::happydance:cloud9:m rgreen::thumbsup::-P) and moved on to mammals.
There is a box labeled "# Shark Attacks" in the mammals section. We aren't really sure how to take it, but I have permission to randomly insert the number twelve in the most unlikely place (perhaps the lion skin? a mouse or shrew? the hedgehog? So many great options...):twisted:

We went to Shakespeare in the Park in the Quad Cities. Although the fireworks in the background were distracting, the play made a LOT more sense than the last time I saw it - same place, only about 16 years ago (I was seven). A Midsummer Night's Dream. Fun, but less fun than waterskiing, which is what my brother's up to this weekend. :teehee:

The.Knitter
07-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Jess: Oh great gracious, would you????? He takes a man's large. I would love to see him in those. I would laugh and laugh. Would you seriously make them for him? Let me know please.....

jess_hawk
07-05-2010, 01:12 AM
Of course I will; but, you'll have to wait until I get back from Baton Rouge. Next weekend is Teenie's wedding (gotta get that quilt done. The top is finished!), and that Monday I leave for two weeks.
When I get back to my apartment I'll go digging and find my pattern (pretty sure I've got one in my pattern pile in the corner...) - I'll probably need a waist measurement at least because patterns aren't sized the same as the stuff you buy in stores.
Drop me a pm, and let me know!

I'm looking forward to Baton Rouge - for one thing, I'll be driving through a corner of Arkansas, my 47th state! but the rest of the drive will be less fun. For one thing, it's all plains states and swamp states. For another, it's a fourteen-hour drive. Woo. But, I finally found an audiobook that I like (Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre World... it's actually him speaking it, and it's much less cheesy and more conversational sounding than most audiobooks). And I'm going to load the rest of my music collection onto my iPod this week. So it will be OK.

Hope everyone had an excellent 4th of July!

The.Knitter
07-05-2010, 12:22 PM
OK, so I have now got a "meet and greet" with a new doctor for tomorrow night. We shall see if this one works out. Say a prayer for us please so that we get this doctor. It is badly needed. I NEED to be proactive in my medical care and mine does not like that at all.

I'd love to have a nickle for each time I've laughed in my life, I'd be rich!

By the way, yesterday I turned the heel and started the gusset on the sock I am knitting. It's coming along now.

:hug: to each and every single one of you!

Gina: Be careful! Hope you feel better soon.

Jess: Sounds like you lead a lot more interesting life than I do. My hubby's waste is 38". I'd love to see him in a pair of them. What entertainment that will be. Thanks so much!

Chris: Thong? I don't think so!!! LMAO!

Darn it, I'm all out of re-runs for Two and a Half Men! It's kept me laughing for days and now they are all finished! Grrrrrr, now what?

jess_hawk
07-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Jess: Sounds like you lead a lot more interesting life than I do.

Darn it, I'm all out of re-runs for Two and a Half Men! ... Grrrrrr, now what?

I realized that I lead an interesting life when I got pecked by an eagle. My reaction was mild annoyance, and then I suddenly thought, "You know, most people would have been like, 'Holy crap, where the f*** did this eagle come from' or run screaming... wow, I live an interesting life."

Have you ever watched Big Bang Theory? Unfortunately, you can't get full episodes online, but it's hilarious and if you can find the DVDs for rent or at the library or something, definitely one to check out.

And Chris, :roflhard:.

The.Knitter
07-06-2010, 09:23 PM
ANNOUNCEMENTS, ANNOUNCEMENTS, ANNOUNCEMENTSSSSSS!!!!!! I fired my doctor, I fired my doctor OMG I got rid of the frikkin *******. I have a really nice new doctor who could not believe half of the things we told him about the old doctor. I cried when he told me I would not be turned away!

They have free counselling! He sent the counsellor a message right with me sitting there. I will hear from her soon. He gave me tranquilizers for "now". He said I may become dependent on them, but that they are needed for now. We shall see how things go. We sat and talked and joked and laughed and I cried and it felt so good.

Now on to the business of healing and getting back to being ME!!!!!

:hug: Once again thanks for the support. It's nice to have my knitting family watching my back!

jess_hawk
07-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Christine: :woot:I'm glad the new doctor is a good fit!

rachejm
07-07-2010, 06:06 AM
Christine, I'm so glad things are finally getting sorted out!

mspwrz
07-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Christine,
I am happy that you have found a new doctor and you can get back to concentrating on healing yourself. May your recovery be seamless and speedy.

rachejm
07-08-2010, 07:11 AM
Hey all,

Hope you are all well.

I've been working on a shawl, a lace shawl at that. I've never knit one before. Its going well so far, keep your fingers crossed. I've posted details on Rav (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/rachejm/gail-aka-nightsongs) and on my blog (http://rach2039.blogspot.com/), I've never managed to figure out resizing pictures on here - besides, I need the hits!

G J
07-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Hi friends,
For some reason KH hasn't been sending me updates to our KAL like they usually do, so I thought no one was posting. Stupid me!

Christine, YAY! on the new doc! Remember that no doc is going to be perfect, but it sounds like this one fits what you need right now. I'm SO GLAD you kicked the other one to the curb!

I second Emily's suggestion to watch Big Bang Theory. FUNNIEST SHOW ON TV!!!

Rache, your shawl is BEAUTIFUL!

I hope the rest of you are doing well. I'm having trouble with my jaw/neck/headaches still, but no visits to the ER. I've been doing a little knitting on my sweater and a chemo cap. Knit night is tonight. YAY!

jess_hawk
07-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Hi friends,
For some reason KH hasn't been sending me updates to our KAL like they usually do, so I thought no one was posting. Stupid me!

Maybe you aren't subscribed to the new ASKAL?

G J
07-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Maybe you aren't subscribed to the new ASKAL?

No, I am...It logged me out altogether and quit sending notices for anything. I logged back in and it's fine now.

jess_hawk
07-09-2010, 01:56 AM
Wierd. Gotta love computers.

So I'm not going to be able to move on Saturday for the wedding (when I will be waking up at 5:30 am so that I can drive to the QC by 7:30 to get my hair done... Teenie's lucky; I wouldn't wake up that early on a SATURDAY for just anyone, especially since recently I've been having trouble getting to sleep and usually finally drift off about 4:00 am)
Tonight I went to TKD before driving home, and one of the blackbelts was teaching class. Not usually a big deal, except this particular blackbelt's teaching style is... energetic. He's really, really good. He holds everyone else to the highest standards. And he forgoes stretching for what he refers to as 'warm-ups.'

You know how normally, a 'warm-up' starts kind of slow to warm up muscles before going on to more strenuous activities? Nope. "Jump. Higher. Faster. Don't let your heels touch the ground! Knees above your belt. FASTER! What are you slowing down for? What do you mean, 'I'm out of shape?' I'm old and I can do it. Come on! Forward backward right left right right forward left back back forward left right HIGHER!" (I don't think it's considered polite to point out that yes, he's twice my age and can do it, but he's also been doing this stuff for as long as I've been alive, while I've only been subjected to his methods a couple of times in the past couple of months; yes I did dance until I was 18 but it required a different type of athleticism)

Yes, it's good for me (except the lack of a regular stretching and warming-up routine), and normally I have a love-hate relationship with the pain of overworked muscles. It hurts, but I know it means I'm getting stronger, and next time it will hurt less. Dance sucked, but it taught me how to push my body.

But limping through the day of my best friend's wedding was not my original plan, and the muscles that are going to hurt are the ones I need to keep from killing myself in heels. And my abs, too.

Oh well, if I fall off my heels and break my neck, the guy can have a ticked-off bride hunt him down for ruining her wedding. I'm not sure even a black belt wants to deal with that kind of fury. :teehee:

rachejm
07-11-2010, 07:52 AM
Jess, I hope you didn't fall off your heels!

So I've had a fun weekend. I was supposed to be going away with my boyfriend. We got about 20mins from home and the car packed up on a major road (fortunately it was quiet enough that we could pull over without incident). The car itself does not have breakdown cover, its Dave's Dad's car and the cover is for Dave's Dad rather than the car (so if he is in someone else's car they can use his membership to get help). This meant waiting for him to arrive and call the breakdown people. Two hours after the car had died we were back at Dave's house. My legs still haven't recovered from spending over an hour standing on a grass verge at a very awkward angle. Not to mention the loss of the trip!

Now I'm having shawl issues. I don't want to go into it! Its all on my blog anyway. I'll tell you all about it once the problem is fixed and I'm less annoyed with it.

Just waiting for the third thing now...

jess_hawk
07-11-2010, 07:31 PM
The wedding was awesome. There were a few minor disasters in the morning, but the day was beautiful and things only got better as time went on. If, when I someday get married, I have a dress half as lovely as Teenie's, I will be happy.

At the reception, we all ditched our heels for either flip-flops or bare feet, and danced for four hours. These are people who really do receptions right: when the music comes on, the tables are empty and the dance floor is full. The young crowd wasn't ready to turn in when the reception hall closed down - we went back to the groom's parent's place and the guys played beer pong while the twins and I watched Big Bang Theory for a while. It was a ridiculously long day, and I still have hairspray in my hair after washing it three times. But it was a great time and Teenie is very, very, very happy.

The.Knitter
07-14-2010, 05:41 PM
Jess, glad you had a good time at the wedding. Sounds like it was fun.

Chris: I have a question for you but it's not one I want to put on here. Call me please? Or tell me when I can call you???

I was knitting on the shrug today at a knitting group I found online. I only have 14" of the lace left to knit and then 4" of 1x1 ribbing and I can mail it to my friend.

Her surgery was 7 weeks ago on Thursday and I have not heard from her since. I phone and leave uplifting (I hope) messages but have heard nothing back from her at all. I hope she is ok.

I will try to finish this thing and get it to her so she can wear it.

Hi everyone else. I am still here and alive.

Physio tomorrow and then I have to go get my glasses adjusted again because they are so tight they are giving me headaches.

Hugs to all :hug:

G J
07-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Emily, the wedding sounds great! How are you feeling? Still sore?

Christine, have fun at Phisio! I hope your friend is okay. Maybe send a note?

Chris, I agree! The RIGHT man comes first! I kind of get the feeling that DD isn't ready to tie the knot. She hasn't looked at dresses at all or done any planning. (Whew!)

I've been doing a little knitting. I have the back of my sweater almost half done. I'm slow!

How have the rest of you been?

jess_hawk
07-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Women? Shouldn't the concern be that the guy is the right one and not be concerned about the dress. If the guy is right does the clothing really matter??????????????????????
Well if the guy isn't perfect, I won't be getting married at all. So since we can assume he'll be perfect, I want a dress that makes me feel pretty.
I don't normally feel pretty (on my everyday priorities list, it's somewhere below washing the cat that I don't have and can't get because I'm allergic), so I fully intend on my wedding day to make people do double takes and wonder who the girl in the white dress is, and where in the world I got off to.

Of course, white-dress Catholic church wedding notwithstanding, I do actually have some creative ideas for the day.

Gina - I'm not sore anymore, but I was on Sunday after dancing all night long... but it was a good, happy sore.

Now I'm in hot, humid Louisiana. I'm working in the basement of the university museum, sub-sampling frozen bird tissues (ie, cutting up tiny bits of frozen liver) and running a set of eight samples through to sequencing the DNA. I was hoping to get to drive down to New Orleans today, but instead I ran a PCR (and I got up early so I could do it first thing, but the guy who was helping me out didn't show up until after noon). But the science part (actually running the samples) is kind of interesting. It's a lot more fun when I don't really have to worry about WHY each and every reagent is added.

And, by the way, the further you go in a science education, the smaller your test tubes get. In grade school, we got 'big test tubes.' In high school we had a selection between 'big test tubes' and 'little test tubes' - volumes around thirty to fifty mL. In undergrad, we had big test tubes, little test tubes, and microcentrifuge tubes, and eventually the bigs and littles got mostly phased out. The microcentrifuge tubes are two to three mL or so (there are actually a couple of sizes).

Now, I've got sets of these tiny little tubes, maybe half a milliliter or less, and I'm running reactions as small as seven microliters. Seven microliters is infinitesimally bigger than a large pin head. You could fit the whole volume on this guy:;).
OK, so it's not flashy or really exciting, but you have to admit, it's kind of fascinating to think about.

I now want to get that a T-shirt with that "Stand Back! I'm doing Science!" logo printed on it, very, very small. :teehee:

rachejm
07-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Well if the guy isn't perfect, I won't be getting married at all. So since we can assume he'll be perfect, I want a dress that makes me feel pretty.

Well said!

I've been messing about trying to make a blog button - not sure I've succeeded but it was worth a try.

My shawl is growing steadily now, after the ripping out a whole pattern repeat incident that is still a little painful to discuss since it took hours and hours to redo all those stitches. I don't think I'll be finished by my self imposed 25th July deadline but never mind - I guess I'll just have to work on it after work (I start on the 26th).

I'm trying to decide what to get 20 kids for an end of term/thanks for everything/goodbye present, they are around 8 years old. I was leaning towards sweets but its a healthy eating school so I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

The.Knitter
07-18-2010, 07:38 PM
Got my glasses adjusted on Thursday and they are better now, not hurting me at all anymore.

Did not go to hydrotherapy because the chlorine has rotted my bathing suit, so now I have to buy another one before I can continue with my therapy. I will go do that Tuesday, according to the boss man here.

The depression is weird, one minute I am fine and the next I am in tears, and I don't know what is going on. This morning I did not
wake up in a positive mood. My hands were shaking. Hubby made pancakes and I could only eat one, but I did eat!!! Then this afternoon I got dressed and we went to a petting farm and I PET A HORSE!!! I was uncomfortable, but I was not scared. It might take a few more tries before I am comfortable, I think.

Anyways, we are home and it is almost bedtime. Hubby is just walking the dog and then we are going to watch Red Skelton DVD's because I am having trouble finding funny things to watch. Hopefully this will work!.

Cheers to all! Hugs :hug:

Jackie Lim
07-21-2010, 03:12 AM
:cheering: H E L L O

rachejm
07-21-2010, 08:24 AM
:cheering: H E L L O

Hi! :hug:

G J
07-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Hi friends,
BIG NEWS! Emmelyn and Amit broke up! She's boxing up stuff of his that she has and has changed her FB status (so has he) so it's official, and, I hope, final!

rachejm
07-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Hi friends,
BIG NEWS! Emmelyn and Amit broke up! She's boxing up stuff of his that she has and has changed her FB status (so has he) so it's official, and, I hope, final!

Sounds pretty final to me. I'm glad she's realised she can do better. Hope she's OK, break ups are hard.

xxx

jess_hawk
07-24-2010, 12:16 AM
I'm home from Baton Rouge! That was a LONG drive.

Then this afternoon I got dressed and we went to a petting farm and I PET A HORSE!!! I was uncomfortable, but I was not scared. It might take a few more tries before I am comfortable, I think.

You should go in search of a dwarf miniature horse foal. We visited an old friend of my mom's, once, who has an exotic animal farm, and she had a baby dwarfed miniature horse. It was small enough to fit in my backpack, and far to cute to make anyone uncomfortable. Then you can work your way up to regular-sized horses.

Last weekend I found out that the barn where I used to ride is closed, or at least that's how it appears - the farm sign is down and the drive is chained.
I miss my buddy Little John. I should have bought him when I had the chance, even though I certainly didn't have the money. He's a good horse for anyone to ride, but he and I had a special connection. The barn manager offered to sell or lease him to me almost every time he saw me (all of the horses were available for sale or lease, and we knew it, but David usually didn't go out of his way to offer a horse to someone), and my instructor taught me to do things that made my classmates resent me. cloud9:teehee:

Gina - That's great news! It's too bad she had to go through that tho.

jess_hawk
07-24-2010, 07:41 PM
Had to share my new favorite photo of my brother.

He looks so young! (He IS only 21, but usually he looks older in photos)

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg268/emilai333/39450016.jpg

And, from this 4th of July, my fave pic of Teenie and Brent:
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg268/emilai333/TeenieandBrentLee.jpg
Aren't they adorable? lol.

rachejm
07-26-2010, 01:58 PM
I started the training for my new job today. I can't decide how I feel about it. On the one hand I know that once I get started it will probably be a lot of fun. On the other hand I've been bombarded with worse case scenario information that has made me wonder if I'm up to it. I know that I have to give it a fair chance and all that. I'm just a bit down. Hopefully things will pick up tomorrow. The job itself starts next week so maybe by this time next week I will feel better about everything.

In other news, my shawl is blocking and there are pics on my blog.

jberry16
07-26-2010, 03:11 PM
hi everyone!
Gina great news!
Christine great! You can do this ;)

I"ve been busy, hence the non posting in a while....I had a few pages to catch up on, dont have time to comment on everyones goings on. As if I wasn't busy enough I have started, today, watching a 2 year old boy. He's a great grandbaby of a good friend from Church. Daddy is trying to get full custody, long story short Mom is a wack job & is now only 16 or 17, she was 14 when she had him, told daddy she was 18, he's only 22. I feel old :teehee: Anyway he's paying me $100 a week & that will hopefully help pay off a big visa bill. That and hopefully we can sell Dh's mustang for a couple grand and that will help the visa too. I hate credit cards, I should cut it up, I really should. Then I'd be forced to pay cash for everything. :hair: Anyway in other news, I also got into my AP2 lab that I have to re-take. I was on the waiting list, but I did get in. I start classes Aug. 31. Kids go back to school on Aug. 17th.
Bailey is fighting a UTI, we're getting an ultrasound of her kidneys tomorrow, since this is her second UTI doc wants to make sure she's ok. If the ultrasound looks good we'll leave it at that, if they dont then we get to schedule another proceedure & get a cath. put in and dye into her bladder to make sure it's not going back up into her kidneys; that wouldn't be good.

2 weeks ago I 'rescued' my brother from the ER where he stayed overnight for being combative, drunk & suicidal... not the first time. Please pray that he stays on his bipolar RX and gets some help. I'm so scared we're going to loose him (moreso than we already have) and I dont want to. I felt awful for saying that it'd have been 'nice' if his room mate hadn't called 911 and just let him slit his self; the (through the wall) neighbor said he was yelling and begging people to shoot him or kill him someway. Then when no one would he went inside and before going to bed was trying to cut himself; the room mate faught him and he said when he was in the ER he kept trying to knock himself out with his fist. Why do people do this? I dont understand it.

ok so hope you all are having a great summer & knitting some or lots. :hug: to everyone.

rachejm
07-28-2010, 03:32 PM
I finished my shawl! :woot:

Now I've gotta decide what to knit next, socks perhaps?

jess_hawk
07-28-2010, 10:50 PM
Rachejm - Congrats!

Julie - wow, you've been busy. I hope everything settles down and everyone is okay!

I just got the preliminary TA schedule for next semester, and I can't decide how I feel about it. I'd been expecting 3 sections of 101, basically the same thing I did last semester, except easier because I've done it before.

Instead, I'm down for 2 sections (they're longer labs) of 220 - Molecular Genetics and Cellular Biology. One part of me is going :woot:Majors course! There are a LOT of advantages to TAing actual majors courses, as opposed to gen eds.

The other part of me is much more cautious about the idea. I'm not a Cell bio expert by any means. Yes, I could probably run PCR in my sleep at this point, and I'm sure that we will do some of that... but surely there was someone in the cell bio sequence who was more qualified than me! Cell bio at my alma mater was HARD. This is my second semesters TAing... are they really sure I'm ready for this?

So I'm kind of going eep! right now.

Hope everyone is having a good week!

ewalker
07-29-2010, 08:55 PM
I finished my shawl! :woot:

Now I've gotta decide what to knit next, socks perhaps?

Do you have any suggestions for a pattern, etc. for someone who has not tried to knit socks yet. I have been knitting for a long time but want to try a sock pattern that will be simple enough that I will not be frogging all the time.

Thanks,

Elaine

jess_hawk
07-29-2010, 10:05 PM
Hi Elaine, and welcome to our insane KAL!

Somewhere there is a sock pattern by Silver that seems to be the standard for simple sock making...
I can't find the stupid thing. Hopefully someone else has the link and can share it with you.

So, weirdly, my world has been overtaken by little black crickets. I live in a second floor apartment, and I've got at least two in here (I caught one, one escaped.) I also had one briefly following me in Wal Mart, and another one trying to get into the building with me when I got home... Where are they coming from!?

The.Knitter
07-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Elaine: Silver's Sock Tutorial is how I learned to make socks. I had a decent pair the first try! Good luck and welcome to our group!

Hi everyone! I am getting better each day. I started on vitamin B12 (the time released one) and am feeling a lot better. I think the Oxycontin is finally gone and I am coming back to being me. I have been doing some reading, a bit of knitting and some computer stuff in the last week. I went to each appointment I had this week except the hydrotherapy. I missed that because it was pouring and I did not want to go out in the rain.

Tomorrow is the hard day, hubby will be working a 12 hour overtime shift and I will have to occupy myself for that whole time. Then he will be home for two days and that will be nice! I have a few things in mind to do while he is at work Saturday. In three weeks he will be off for two weeks and then I will really enjoy having him around!!

Glad to see everyone on here. I've missed talking to you all. I don't comment much but I have been reading the posts.

Have a great weekend! :hug:

rachejm
07-30-2010, 01:48 PM
Hi Elaine!

I would recommend Silvers Sock Tutorial - its how I made my first pair of socks.

Welcome to the KAL

xxx

mspwrz
07-30-2010, 02:50 PM
I am currently working on sock one of my first pair of socks using Silver's tutorial. So far, I am just "ribbing the cuff" but it has been very simple and rewarding. I did have to frog a couple of times at the beginning but have got the pattern down now. Also. I had trouble with the size 3 aluminum DPNs. I looked for bamboo or wood ones and could not find them locally so I took my knit guage to Michael's and found a dowel skinny enough to be a size 3 and cut it into 5 equal pieces about 7 3/8 " long. I sharpened them with a pencil sharpener then sanded them with fine sandpaper then waxed them smooth with plain old wax paper from the kitchen. They are working just fine and the yarn does not slide around like it did on the aluminum needles. BTW I am using Kroy Socks Stripes in the mulberry colorway. Good luck and happy knitting!

ewalker
07-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Hi everyone,
I really do appreciate all your helpful suggestions about sock making. I have watched Silver's video and agree that it is probably the way to go.

I do not reply to the e-mails very often but I do read them and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks again,

Elaine:happydance:

The.Knitter
07-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Hi everyone,
I really do appreciate all your helpful suggestions about sock making. I have watched Silver's video and agree that it is probably the way to go.

I do not reply to the e-mails very often but I do read them and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks again,

Elaine:happydance:

Elaine: the written come to silver sock knitting tutorial is better again than the video as it has written instructions plus pictures to clarify any questions you may have. Good luck. Sock knitting is very addictive!!!

http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm

Enjoy!!!

jess_hawk
07-31-2010, 12:27 AM
http://www.worldbirdsanctuary.org/index.php/support/cd

I just realized they have clips posted! I can be heard in the Parrot Song clip (towards the end) and in Waterfall. I played on a couple of other songs but you can't really hear me in the clips.

Christine, I'm glad that things continue to improve. I have some lovely pink heart material here... :D

The.Knitter
07-31-2010, 10:15 AM
No, I did not want to get wet Chris!!!

Thanks Jess. I can't wait to see them on DH.......... :hug:

ewalker
07-31-2010, 07:32 PM
Elaine: the written come to silver sock knitting tutorial is better again than the video as it has written instructions plus pictures to clarify any questions you may have. Good luck. Sock knitting is very addictive!!!

http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm

Enjoy!!!

Thanks for the info, I did not realize there were written inst. Any suggestions as to a place where I can find yarn that I need to match?

jess_hawk
07-31-2010, 09:42 PM
OK in Canada they use DRY water in pools. :shrug:
They have dry ice, why not dry water?

For a communications project in High School, I once made a commercial for dehydrated water. Just add water, and drink! Tastes just like regular water!

I just found out that my grandpa has cancer (multiple myeloma). We'll learn more Monday. Thus far, we've been told it isn't curable, but it is treatable. I have some idea of what's going on, by virtue of several years of biology classes, even though my parents really couldn't explain anything to me.
This is the man from whom my brother got his perpetual energy (along with his curly, blond hair and crazy-blue, smiling, sparkly eyes... I got his squinty-eyed grin, go figure:shrug:). He's been retired for probably 15 years, but he helps people with, well, pretty much anything, just because he likes to keep busy.

Here's praying that 'treatable' leaves him energy to do some of the things he's always loved. Maybe not waking up at ridiculously-early o'clock to shovel eighteen inches of snow off of the walk of younger folks (which is just insane at the best of times.), or helping to re-roof somebody's house when it's a hundred degrees out, but mowing his own grass, planting his tomatoes, riding his little motorcycle around town.

And, to round out prayer requests: I also found out my mom's cousin was just diagnosed with MS, and another cousin's son-in-law was in a bad motorcycle accident and they don't know whether he'll be paralyzed or not, as he broke several vertebrae. (I believe I've mentioned my mom's tendency to not tell me anything, and then suddenly dump a whole heap of bad news on my lap.)

Happier news: Visited Abraham Lincoln National Historic Site in Springfield with the parents today (While my brother was at the lake with his best friend's family and his new girlfriend... lucky brat). It's a nice place, lots of friendly interpretive guides.

jberry16
07-31-2010, 10:10 PM
I'm working on Girasole (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/jberry16/girasole)by Jarred Flood & it's a quick knit. I started on Tues & today I'm to 640 sts per round...that takes a while:thud:

Has anyone been to jimmybeanswool.com lately? they have a "wool watcher" where throughout the day they choose different yarns to go on sale and I just got 2 skeins of debbie bliss 100% silk for 50% off!

jberry16
08-05-2010, 09:28 AM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs140.ash2/40354_1529902375593_1475731254_1366055_639349_n.jp g (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1366056&id=1475731254)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs258.snc4/40253_1529903495621_1475731254_1366062_2690045_n.j pg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1366056&id=1475731254)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs146.ash2/40657_1529903575623_1475731254_1366063_1404070_n.j pg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1366056&id=1475731254)

The.Knitter
08-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Great shots Julie! Love them!!!

Chris, was there a lovely pot of gold at the end of the rainbow?

Frank has a friend who is lending him a book that has all sorts of Murphy's Law quotes, so I am going to post one on my Facebook each day! Sounds like fun to me.

No knitting the last few days! I've been reading Janet Evanovich "The Stephanie Plum" series. Funny books!!!

The.Knitter
08-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Yes Chris that is who I meant, or perhaps Frank!

I know about Evanovich, she is highly addictive, however the withdrawal is much easier than some, so I will take my chances!

Have a great weekend everyone!

jberry16
08-07-2010, 09:48 AM
I know I'm busy and so I assume everyone else is too, maybe that's why it's so quiet in here?

rachejm
08-07-2010, 01:17 PM
I finished the training for the job and have just done my first week. Its been good but really tiring. I haven't been doing much, just sitting watching DVDs of the Gilmore Girls. I bought yarn today to start an Irish Hiking Scarf, I figured something interesting but fairly simple was the way to go. I'm also trying to catch up on some reading for my course.

Hope you are all ok!

xxx

jess_hawk
08-09-2010, 03:01 AM
busy? heck yes.

Friday night was my 5 year high school reunion, which wound up being more bizarre than expected. I recognized almost everyone (or else could place them as a significant other)... except this vaguely familiar guy in the corner. Tall-ish, slightly gangly, a little scruffy and honestly kind of cute... and who the heck was he!? I finally snuck a look at his nametag, and immediately felt like a complete idiot.

Oh yes, the stranger in the corner was my best friend for seven years. OK, so he's lost 80 pounds and grown a beard... and I've been going out of my way to avoid him since we were fourteen... but I still feel like I should have recognized him.

The two of us and three mutual friends hung out and chatted all night, which was in many ways more bizarre than not recognizing him. It's confusing to spend time with the person who has held such disparate positions in my life, and I haven't yet decided whether it was a good thing or not.

I can't wait for school to start up so I can get back to a regular schedule!

jberry16
08-09-2010, 05:19 PM
just had to share an intersting picture...
http://www.foundshit.com/pictures/cars/vw-bug-cozy.jpg (http://www.foundshit.com/volkswagen-beetle-knit-car-cover/)

jess_hawk
08-09-2010, 06:22 PM
I need to knit one of those for my car!

G J
08-12-2010, 11:33 PM
Hi Friends,
Sorry I've been MIA lately. Vacation and work (not both at once) have kept me busy.
I'll try to comment on stuff as I can, but no promises!
Julie, I feel for ya with your brother. Yikes. And freeze the credit card in a ziplock of water. You can't use it until it thaws. TOTALLY cuts out impulse buying, which is what gets most people in trouble. I've been to JimmyBeans wool once on a trip with DH. Nice store. I haven't bought online from them, though! Sounds like you scored!
Emily, congrats on the job! I know you're unsure, but you'll be great! And your family is in my prayers!
Welcome, Elaine! How are the socks coming? I started with Silver's toe-up magic loop tutorial, but I did a different toe (Turkish cast on).
Rhonda, YAY for your needles. I've made my own size 15 DPNs before! SHow us pics of your socks!
Christine, I just requested the book you mentioned from my library. I'm #29 in a que! Oh well! I can wait!
Rache, what's the new job? I missed that...
Ok, so my news! DD is still NOT engaged (Good thing, there, for you newbies) and will NOT be getting back together with her ex-fiance, but DS IS engaged. We love his fiance and feel it is a good match. They're young (21), but both committed Christians and genuinely good people. He proposed in WA on a little island near my folks' house. It was very sweet.
DD is doing well. She's got a teaching position (1st & 2nd grade deaf and hard-of-hearing students) and started new teacher orientation this week. It was hard for her during vacation with all the attention on DS, but one of my sisters was very sensitive to that and would shift the attention to Emmelyn and ask questions about her job, got her a little teacher gift and stuff like that. I was so grateful to her!
Vacation was good, but my dad's drinking again, so that added stress. (He starts out happy, ends up mad about SOMETHING!) The weather was LOVELY. Cloudy in the morning, sunny in the afternoon. NO day was over 80 degrees. Of course, now we're back to 95+ with 80% humidity. Thank the Lord for AC! I've been tutoring a lot since we got back, so that's good.

jberry16
08-13-2010, 10:19 AM
Gina how neat! congrats on DS engagement & DD's break up! Praise God!!!!

news on my brother: when he was thrown in jail for 4 days, they put him in what they call, "God's Pod" and there they have daily bible study & prayer etc. He wrote us all a letter in there (on his own, wasn't asked of him) saying how much he has realized he's distanced himsef from all of us and how many tears we've cried over his abusive lifestyle and how much we still love him; said he cant believe that after how he's lived how we can still love him & asked for our forgiveness. Since then I hear from him daily & we're praising God for that big miracle! All I have to say is prayer works, which I knew before, but just had to say it aloud.

The.Knitter
08-13-2010, 05:10 PM
Gina: So great things worked out right for both your children.

Julie: I hope your brother is strong enough to keep up the good work.

Tomorrow I turn 55. Frank has a few things planned, one includes a ball winder! I can't wait! We have plans for the whole weekend, then he returns to work for five days and then he is off work for two whole weeks. I am so excited!!! The day after my birthday is the anniversary of my accident, and I shall call it the day of the Miracle because I am still here, in one piece, walking, living, loving!!!

Anyways, hi to everyone! Have a good weekend!

jess_hawk
08-14-2010, 02:00 AM
Tomorrow I turn 55.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
I have boxer shorts almost done (I made a measuring error in adjusting my pattern... so will fix them after Mike goes home). If you pm me your mailing address I will send them as soon as I fix them.

Gina - glad to hear that things are going well in your life! Congrats to your DS.

My brother has a new girlfriend, the girl that he was in an 'exclusive non-dating relationship' (huh?) for a while. Hopefully I will meet her someday soon; mom and dad finally met her last weekend and said she was really nice (but they thought that about That Girl too, so the jury is still out as far as I'm concerned).

Julie, I'm so glad that things seem to be improving for your brother. I'll keep praying that it stays good!

Yesterday NYMike and I visited St. Louis, and I guest-played flute for WBS's band (the one I did the CD with). It was great to see everyone again and this morning we released a Cooper's Hawk. :woot: love releases.

Regarding my grandpa, they originally said they thought the cancer was in his one leg; now they think it got there from somewhere else and are searching for it. I'm still being hopeful, I guess, because at this point I don't want to consider the alternative.

rachejm
08-15-2010, 06:38 AM
Hey all,

Happy birthday Christine! Sorry its a bit late.

Gina, I'm working as a play assistant at a play scheme. I enjoy it but its tiring.

My brother came home from Uni yesterday and its been a little crazy what with all the washing and the fact that I can't get in the bathroom in the morning.

I started an Irish Hiking Scarf, its not progressing that fast but my cables look a lot better than the first time I attempted it. I blogged about it.

jess_hawk
08-16-2010, 01:00 AM
Exciting happy news!:woohoo:I will be adopting a Senegal parrot named Klinger (though I intend to change that)! I have to get a cage and this weekend was simply a bad time to bring him home; so next time I am in town (at my parents') I will be going to pick him up!
NYMike took a picture of me with him that I will share as soon as he gives it to me, and of course I'll have many more to share once he comes home and settles in.

Other awesomeness: NYMike and I released a Cooper's Hawk Friday! I was a little concerned because when I caught her up, she did a lot of running around and not much flying to get away, but she had a very nice flight on the release so she'll do fine!

jberry16
08-18-2010, 02:49 PM
:waah: I ran out of yarn, 30 sts left to put the edging on :(
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4095/4904739287_1caf247c49.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs286.snc4/40631_1546936601438_1475731254_1414340_917849_n.jp g (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1414340&id=1475731254)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs289.snc4/40811_1546936361432_1475731254_1414339_4198744_n.j pg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1414340&id=1475731254)

jess_hawk
08-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Chris - Exchange students are fun! Congrats on being crazy enough to take one on. Just think of all of the everyday things you do, which will be new and exciting for a foreigner.
My Japanese host father got the biggest kick out of taking me grocery shopping, for instance.

G J
08-20-2010, 10:28 AM
Christine, BELATED :balloons:HAPPY BIRTHDAY!:balloons:

Emily, any news on your grandpa? Hope he's doing better. YAY for your new bird! But why a new name? WHen you wrote Klinger was his name, I thought...Hmmm. Male bird, but dresses like a woman! LOL!

Rache, Glad the job is going well. The scarf, too!

Julie, were you able to get more yarn to finish the shawl? It's BEAUTIFUL! Really breathtaking!

Chris, I'm looking forward to stories about your exchange student. Should be interesting!

I've been helping DD get her classroom ready. The school used to be an open concept school (whoever thought of that was a total idiot!) and they closed in the classrooms. However, they're NOT FINISHED! It's ridiculous! School starts Monday, meet the teacher was last night and she couldn't get into her classroom until Wednesday afternoon! NOt only that, but the AC in her wing of the school isn't working. She had about 50 boxes of supplies and equipment to unpack, furniture to reassemble, and did I mention that the AC isn't working?!? Her room is a balmy 88 degrees. We got it looking presentable (there are still about a dozen boxes not unpacked) but they won't be allowed to put anything on the walls until the final walk-through when the contractor is finished. When will that be? who knows?!? But her "Meet the teacher" went well last night with all but one family coming.

Hope you're all doing well!

jberry16
08-20-2010, 10:49 AM
[quote=G J;1297971]
Julie, were you able to get more yarn to finish the shawl? It's BEAUTIFUL! Really breathtaking!
[quote]
a fellow knitter on Ravelry is going to send me her last ~75 yards today or tomorrow! I'm so glad. thanks, I can't wait till it's done and I can block it and see it really open up and be really pretty!
glad you're getting some time with DD & helping her out. Any word on what made her quit it with Amit?

:waving: everyone else

G J
08-20-2010, 11:23 AM
Julie, she hasn't told me anything. I think she just knew she couldn't marry him. He was pressuring her to set a date. She wouldn't. He felt "strung along." She truly is DONE with him. Her brother even picked up all her stuff that was at his apartment so she wouldn't have to see him.

jess_hawk
08-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Emily, any news on your grandpa? Hope he's doing better. YAY for your new bird! But why a new name? WHen you wrote Klinger was his name, I thought...Hmmm. Male bird, but dresses like a woman! LOL!

I haven't heard anything more since they went looking for other cancer... I guess maybe that means they didn't find any which would be a good thing?

Yes, that is exactly why he needs a new name... His former cagemate (the one who pulled out all of his feathers) is named 'Hotlips' and I'm sorry, I just can't do the M.A.S.H. metaphor.

Wow, your DD's school sounds like a total mess... although I have to admit I'm not surprised. Hopefully they'll get it fixed up ASAP.

jberry16
08-20-2010, 04:51 PM
Julie, she hasn't told me anything. I think she just knew she couldn't marry him. He was pressuring her to set a date. She wouldn't. He felt "strung along." She truly is DONE with him. Her brother even picked up all her stuff that was at his apartment so she wouldn't have to see him.
what a good, sweet & thoughtful brother!

G J
08-20-2010, 05:25 PM
I was so glad he was willing to do it!

Keep Emmelyn in your prayers. She's pretty stressed about school. Still no curriculum or lesson plans for Monday!

jberry16
08-21-2010, 10:18 AM
I was so glad he was willing to do it!

Keep Emmelyn in your prayers. She's pretty stressed about school. Still no curriculum or lesson plans for Monday!

She's in our prayers, maybe she can make Monday a "Funday" and do 1/2 lesson plans and 1/2 games to get everyone aquainted and back into school without havinga lot of stress.

jess_hawk
08-22-2010, 12:25 AM
She's in our prayers, maybe she can make Monday a "Funday" and do 1/2 lesson plans and 1/2 games to get everyone aquainted and back into school without havinga lot of stress.
I second this motion. Who wants a full day of school on Monday anyway!?

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs378.snc4/46101_529924101105_41401373_31482455_8368212_n.jpg
So this is (me and) 'Klinger.'
He needs a new name.
So far I am considering:
James Bond (the character was named after an ornithologist)
Corporal
Daedelus (the Greek who made the wings to escape the Labyrinth... his son flew too close to the sun and died)

but none of them have really struck me as perfect the way Kitten and Artemis did. I'm looking for something kind of academic... a literary reference, a scientist, or a clever play on or reference to 'Klinger.' Any suggestions?

Oh, and as there are no adoption fees (and I got a free, if slightly dirty, transport cage), once I finish Teenie's quilt and the denim monstrosity I've been demolishing blue jeans for, I'm going to make a blanket to sell and donate the proceeds to the rescue. I designed a flying macaw quilt for it.

mspwrz
08-22-2010, 12:34 AM
How about Maxwell or Max, that was Corporal Klinger's first name?

jess_hawk
08-22-2010, 05:47 PM
One of my best friends has a dog named Max... that could get confusing.

I just had someone suggest Tonsure, which is the practice of shaving the heads of religious persons. Tony, Tonny, or Tons for short. It may be the top of my list. I'll give it a day or two for consideration.

My family suggested Vulture, GMV (Green Micro-Vulture), Voldemort, Vulturemort, Icky, and Roadkill. *sigh*

jberry16
08-22-2010, 11:00 PM
One of my best friends has a dog named Max... that could get confusing.

I just had someone suggest Tonsure, which is the practice of shaving the heads of religious persons. Tony, Tonny, or Tons for short. It may be the top of my list. I'll give it a day or two for consideration.

My family suggested Vulture, GMV (Green Micro-Vulture), Voldemort, Vulturemort, Icky, and Roadkill. *sigh*
I'm no good at naming pets, any pets I name either get taken to the pound, run away or get given away, been that way since I was a kid...thats why I let others name my pets, Rascal the cat was named by Dh & Pearl the mini schnauzer was named by Jacob (Ds).

1to1
08-23-2010, 01:09 PM
Hey Socksters,

WOW Any Socks 3. Glad to see the gangs all here.

Just wanted to pop in and say hi. :waving:

Carla

G J
08-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Hi friends,

Emmelyn made it through her first week just fine. She's tired and frustrated with her team teacher (the English/Language teacher; Em teaches math/science/social studies) who was moved from another school against her will and seems to be taking her frustration out on Emmelyn. Thankfully, Emmelyn's mentor and other teachers are very supportive.

Emily, great pic! I have no name ideas for you. Sorry! Your family's suggestions made me LOL.

Carla, good to hear from you! What have you been up to?

I'm having a (not so) lovely day. Tomorrow I have a colonoscopy and endoscopy so I get to do the prep for it today. Yuck. Hopefully, I'll get some answers to my pain episodes, though, and hopefully, it's nothing serious.

Hope you're all well! Looking forward to hearing from you!

jess_hawk
08-29-2010, 01:13 PM
Hi Carla! Good to hear from you!

Gina - hope everything goes well tomorrow.

I did settle on a name for my bird. He is now Copper, short for Copernicus. He loves sitting on my shoulder, but doesn't like to be petted. However, he is very polite and does not bite. He's still very nervous. He will flap his wings and lean away if I move my hand towards him too fast, and if I do something too unexpected, he'll jump off of my arm. He's badly clipped so he pretty much drops to the floor and gives me a heart attack when that happens.

This weekend is sewing weekend! Teenie's quilt should be done (FINALLY) this week; my blue-jeans quilt top is almost done; and I have a pair of boxers that will probably go in the mail Tuesday. Hopefully they fit; I had to get creative.

School is also underway. My stats class is, as expected, boring as. Remote Sensing is going to be freaking awesome, though. The class is set up as a group research project, intended such that by the end of the semester we could, theoretically, have something to publish, and if we do, we will! We're studying defoliation of the Apostle Islands by gypsy moths... And, best of all, there is probably going to be a kayaking trip to the study area next summer, for 'research purposes.' :)

jberry16
08-30-2010, 12:13 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4115/4941662221_89eef78736.jpg

G J
08-30-2010, 01:28 PM
GREAT pic, Julie! Are you trying to tell us something? (the BABY is a big sister?!?)

jberry16
08-30-2010, 01:33 PM
GREAT pic, Julie! Are you trying to tell us something? (the BABY is a big sister?!?)
:woot: yes!:woohoo:
We gave Brian's dad & step mom the pic last night & they didn't get it. So we just left it alone, we're going to see how long it takes them to "get it."

Baby is due May 3rd (same due date I had with Jacob & he came 4-12) so I'll be 5 weeks tomorrow.

jess_hawk
08-30-2010, 02:05 PM
Congrats Julie!!!!! Cute pic, too!

G J
08-30-2010, 02:38 PM
YAY!!!!! :woot: I'm THRILLED for you! :woot:
And tickled that I "got it" before the inlaws! (It could be they got it but were afraid to ask!?! (I was a bit hesitant!)

jberry16
08-30-2010, 03:12 PM
YAY!!!!! :woot: I'm THRILLED for you! :woot:
And tickled that I "got it" before the inlaws! (It could be they got it but were afraid to ask!?! (I was a bit hesitant!)
thanks! I think they just over looked it, the conversation went like this:
them: o isn't that sweet!
me: thanks, can you read Katie's t-shirt?
them: yes, that's a hoot. lol
that was it, no more was said. I figured it'd be pretty clear, guess not? THat's why I posted it on here, to see if y'all got it. As soon as my folkes know I'll post the pic on fb too, just like here and see if anyone on there catches on.

jberry16
08-30-2010, 06:24 PM
Grandparents are used to pictures of Grandchildren but not having to do the hard work.

Congrats. :balloons:

Do we need to start baby socks?
good point Chris.
thanks & yes any baby socks would be appreciated! I've made 2 hats already, cotton. Baby's due May 3, but early May can still be chilly here.

rachejm
08-31-2010, 06:50 AM
Congratulations Julie!!!

jberry16
08-31-2010, 10:32 AM
well my parents & grandma didnt 'get it' either, i had to tell them.
:knitting: baby stuff now, 2 hats done.

G J
08-31-2010, 10:52 AM
Julie, maybe give additional hints, like, Before you give them the picture, say, "There's a riddle in this picture for you to find out something special." And if they STILL don't get it, say, "See how the baby is wearing a Big Sister t-shirt? There's a hint there for you!"

jberry16
08-31-2010, 06:48 PM
Julie, maybe give additional hints, like, Before you give them the picture, say, "There's a riddle in this picture for you to find out something special." And if they STILL don't get it, say, "See how the baby is wearing a Big Sister t-shirt? There's a hint there for you!"
thanks Gina. I said something to the effect of it's Katie wearing the big sister shirt, she's going to be a big sister & my father in law still said, I know. but didn't get it till I told him, "I'm pregnant" then he dropped his jaw to the floor and started laughing and hugged me.

jess_hawk
08-31-2010, 08:30 PM
I love it when people get creative with their pregnancy announcements.

One of my teachers in middle school got a big bouquet of flowers from her husband one day during class... not unusual (lucky woman), except she didn't want to read us the card. "You might not get it," she said.
The card read, "To the two most important people in my life, I love you. (teachers' DH)"

Are you going to find out/do you know (I don't know how early they test) whether it will be a boy or a girl? Or are you going to be surprised?

OMG I NOW HAVE AN EXCUSE TO PRACTICE KNITTING BABY STUFF! (All my friends who are now married are waiting to have kids... but someday I will need to know some good baby patterns. *giggles*) *yay*

jberry16
08-31-2010, 09:58 PM
I love it when people get creative with their pregnancy announcements.

One of my teachers in middle school got a big bouquet of flowers from her husband one day during class... not unusual (lucky woman), except she didn't want to read us the card. "You might not get it," she said.
The card read, "To the two most important people in my life, I love you. (teachers' DH)"

Are you going to find out/do you know (I don't know how early they test) whether it will be a boy or a girl? Or are you going to be surprised?

OMG I NOW HAVE AN EXCUSE TO PRACTICE KNITTING BABY STUFF! (All my friends who are now married are waiting to have kids... but someday I will need to know some good baby patterns. *giggles*) *yay*

thanks Jess, I love getting creative, never just told anyone I was pregnant, thought that was boring. I like the idea of your teachers Dh, how sweet.
As for gender, the earliest they can tell clearly by ultrasound is 16 weeks, my cousin said her doc could tell at 12 weeks, but she also gets an ultrasound at every visit. Brian wants to know, I'm on the fence. I'd love to have the surprise in the delivery room of, "it's a boy/girl" but we'll have to see how that works. In previous pregnancies I always knew, I feel like this will be the last (at least for a while) and so I'd like to experience the surprise factor; not many surprises in the world anymore. Granted pregnancy is a great surprise, but I think you understand what I mean.
Baby things knit by you all would be so special to me. I still have the socks Dotty knit for Katie. Please dont feel like you need to knit anything, just pray for a healthy & uncomplicated pregnancy & a baby born healthy & at least 37 weeks (that'd be Jacob's & Dustina's bday) I've picked out some patterns on ravelry that are cute & just haven't knit anything but a couple hats.

I'm so glad to have friends on here to share this with.
love you all!

The.Knitter
09-06-2010, 06:54 PM
I got a huge sale on confetti yarn and am making something that will (hopefully) resemble something for a baby! Wonder for whom, and when it will arrive!!!

Jess? Are the boxers done yet? I could use a good laugh!

Chris: One ho at a time friend!!!

I am getting up and forcing myself, one day at a time, sometimes one minute at a time, to be "normal". I will start on something soft and pretty (knitting wise) and hope that helps.

Say a little prayer for me please. Hubby goes back to work tomorrow for the first time in two weeks. I am going to miss him being around so much.

Also, I got to babysit my granddaughter for a few hours yesterday and that felt so good! She was full of hugs and kisses.

I DO keep reading, but don't usually post. I will kick myself in the butt and try harder to post.

xoxo

thanks Jess, I love getting creative, never just told anyone I was pregnant, thought that was boring. I like the idea of your teachers Dh, how sweet.
As for gender, the earliest they can tell clearly by ultrasound is 16 weeks, my cousin said her doc could tell at 12 weeks, but she also gets an ultrasound at every visit. Brian wants to know, I'm on the fence. I'd love to have the surprise in the delivery room of, "it's a boy/girl" but we'll have to see how that works. In previous pregnancies I always knew, I feel like this will be the last (at least for a while) and so I'd like to experience the surprise factor; not many surprises in the world anymore. Granted pregnancy is a great surprise, but I think you understand what I mean.
Baby things knit by you all would be so special to me. I still have the socks Dotty knit for Katie. Please dont feel like you need to knit anything, just pray for a healthy & uncomplicated pregnancy & a baby born healthy & at least 37 weeks (that'd be Jacob's & Dustina's bday) I've picked out some patterns on ravelry that are cute & just haven't knit anything but a couple hats.

I'm so glad to have friends on here to share this with.
love you all!

jess_hawk
09-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Jess? Are the boxers done yet? I could use a good laugh!

They're in the mail - I meant to mail them Monday/Tuesday but ended up not getting to the post office until Friday! eep! With our three-day weekend, I don't know exactly when they'll get there. crossing my fingers that they fit.

So after my insane week last week, I ended up going home this weekend. I still have a few feet of binding to do on Teenie's quilt because I was intending to go home next weekend... now I (hopefully) won't be home until October. Anyway, my parents are replacing windows and carpet upstairs in our house (I've been begging for this for years: my window hasn't opened properly in ten years, and my carpet is grey and older than me, so I am happy about this.), painting, and replacing doors and trim. Unfortunately, that meant that the long list of things I needed to do this weekend, didn't get done. So the weekend kind of sucked to begin with.

Then, it turns out that the doctors determined that grandpa has stage four cancer (of the liver I think? nobody is telling me anything), which is the cause of the myeloma. The doctor said a year to a year and a half (if it doesn't metastasize to his brain), and he's not allowed to do any physical work because his bones have been weakened. So he has to just stand around twiddling his thumbs instead of helping with the remodel.

So basically, my 'yay I have a three day weekend' turned into 'Can I just go back to sleep and pretend this isn't happening?'

Hope everyone else had a better time.

rachejm
09-07-2010, 09:02 AM
So basically, my 'yay I have a three day weekend' turned into 'Can I just go back to sleep and pretend this isn't happening?'

Hope everyone else had a better time.

Hugs :hug: :hug: :hug:

jberry16
09-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Christine I'm so excited to see what you're doing...You've got at least 31 weeks to complete it ;o) (hopefully closer to 34), we're praying this baby will come between 38 & 40 weeks, and not like the past 3 coming 3 & 4 weeks early.

Jess :hug: your weekend did suck, sorry.

My weekend sorta sucked too, we were supposed to have DH's 39th bday party (just family & close friend) but my 2 girls were sick (still are) with cold symptoms and fevers. Hopefully they'll be better early this week & Bailey can go to school, she's going to miss today & I'll hear about that :cry: . Katie is such a fighter, Bailey's more wimpy.
Jacob's telling me he doesn't feel good, yet I think he's fine. He's not been real happy in 1st grade & so I'm wondering if he is just wanting to stay home another day :shrug: .

I'm trying to knit mom a silk scarf, scarfs are SO broing. this pattern is easy & free on ravelry, dont remember what it's called, but you k4, *YO, k2tog, k2* same thing on both sides, looks really cool.

ok kids are bugging me for breakfast (good sign) so I'll talk to you all later.

Christine you'll do fine today, keep busy & the day will go by faster.

rachejm
09-07-2010, 11:00 AM
I am officially a student again. My teaching course began yesterday but we have started with a reading week. Its really hard to find the motivation to do it since we haven't actually covered anything yet. So far today I have done pretty much everything I needed to do this week that did not involve reading. Guess I will have to get down to it.

Anyone have any good study tips that will help me out?

jberry16
09-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Anyone have any good study tips that will help me out?

study tips? Gina's great at those... But I like to have everything done before I sit down to study or else I'll be thinking about the laundry that should be folded or the dishes that should be in the dishwasher or ... you get the idea. And another thing I like to do is be alone, 3 little munchkins running around make it hard to concentrate. I also have to know I have 1 hour to do it in at a time or I can't get "in the groove." Sometimes getting motivated is the hardest part, I still am looking for ideas there.
hope that helps, eventhough I didn't give you any.
take notes while you read, I'm an aweful reader/remember-er. I can read a paragraph 3 times and have no clue what I read; always been that way.

G J
09-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Hi friends! So nice to see some chatter on here!

Christine, hope you have a wonderful day! My DH offices at home (unless he's out of town), so I kind of like it when he leaves once in awhile. With the economy the way it is, he's not traveling as much, so he's always here. I love him, but too much of him I don't love! What I'm trying to say is Enjoy your day!

Emily, I'm sorry that your weekend was so yucky. I feel for you. ANd I'm SO sorry to hear about your grandpa.

Julie, UGH. Sick kids and no party. Yuck. Hope it improves!

Rache, HOpe your class goes well. Like Julie said, I have LOTs of study tips--that's what I do for a living--teach organizational and study skills. What specifically do you need help with? Julie's advice to take notes of what you read is excellent advice. You forget 80% if you don't! But you need to have an idea of what's important BEFORE you read. So try to answer the questions at the end of the chapter or online FIRST. Then look for those answers as you read. Try to take notes from MEMORY, rather than copying from the book. You're more likely to write just the important stuff and remember it.

rachejm
09-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the advice!

I'm starting with the section on teaching reading today because I know there is an assignment on that at some point. Other than that I guess I'm just gonna go with things I need to brush up on in maths and science. I read quite a bit about PE yesterday, I'll try to write up some notes on that from memory tonight and see how much I actually took in.

jess_hawk
09-07-2010, 08:35 PM
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/9/6/75ad56dc-ed22-45e0-9822-28fc4db37498.jpg

I love owls.

jberry16
09-09-2010, 08:53 AM
There is a question on another thread about Knitty's Back to Basic sock.

First Sock Project (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100660)

Here is the part I don't get.....

Heel will be worked back and forth over sts on Needle 2 only, as follows:
Row 1 [RS]: K48, W&T.
Row 2 [WS]: P28, W&T.
Row 3 [RS]: K27, W&T.
Row 4 [WS]: P26, W&T.

Rows 5-22: Continue in stockinette st, working each short row 1 st shorter than the last. Row 22 is 8 sts long.

How did the designer get to 8 stitches at row 22?

Pattern link.

http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall07/PATTbacktobasics.html
Chris, bear with me conisdering I just woke up (long enough to turn the computer on & let the dog out) & had a rough night last night with Katie who couldnt breathe because of her cold & "boogers in my nose."

From the looks of it, I'm thinking the 8 sts ends up being the last part of this sock on the very top of the foot, so the heel/gusset is one and it wraps around the heel & up around the top of the foot. :shrug: Looks like something I'd like to try & might have a go at when I wake up some more. I'll re-read through the pattern then and see what I can find. In the meantime maybe check ravelry to see if there's any erata available?

Duh! just saw your question asking how designer got o 8 sts on row 22. Here's my first morning math (dont laugh)
at row 4 you have 26 sts, each row you're decreasing by 1.
row 22-row 4= 18 sts decreased.
26 sts - 18 sts = 8 sts left after all decreases.

jberry16
09-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Julie
Thank You. My mind is not working I had to chart it to confirm what you and the pattern were saying.

With Katies small nose the boogers would not have to be too big to cause problems. Give her a hug for me and tell the boogers to go away.
Chris that's really sad that first thing in the morning my mind was able to do math, and esp math that your mind wasn't wanting to complete. I'm scared.

I'll tell Katie.

The.Knitter
09-09-2010, 12:21 PM
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/9/6/75ad56dc-ed22-45e0-9822-28fc4db37498.jpg

I love owls.

I am so much better at knitting with my hands than with the beak and talons. Imagine how long an FO would take doing it that way?

Nothing has come in the mail yet. It has to cross the border. I`ll let you know when it gets here! Thanks so much!!!

kajomo
09-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Hi guys..sorry to butt in the middle of your conversation! :) I know in a forum where everyone knows everyone it can be a bit annoying.

Chris invited me over because she thought you all could probably help me along. I am going to be starting my first pair of socks here soon and she was helping me with a question and now I have another one! I hate DPN's....have tried them with hats and I just can't make them work..they are awkward to me. So my question is, are there any gotchas in just using 2 circulars?

You may now resume your regular programing....

Karen

jberry16
09-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Hi guys..sorry to butt in the middle of your conversation! :) I know in a forum where everyone knows everyone it can be a bit annoying.

Chris invited me over because she thought you all could probably help me along. I am going to be starting my first pair of socks here soon and she was helping me with a question and now I have another one! I hate DPN's....have tried them with hats and I just can't make them work..they are awkward to me. So my question is, are there any gotchas in just using 2 circulars?

Karen
Welcome! You can easily use two circs or even one long circ (called magic loop) I'm sure Chris has told you about Silvers Sock Class (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/) ? That will help lots & of course we're here, dont feel like you're introuding, you're not; welcome to the any sock family!

The.Knitter
09-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Hi Karen and welcome:

I have to tell you that Chris is a male! We are very proud of our kilt hose knitter!

I agree with Julie. Go to the site she sent you to and you will learn about sock construction from the best source. I learned how to knit socks from Silver, as did a lot of people in our group.

I hope you enjoy it here. Just jump right in. NEVER feel you are intruding. We are always glad to have a new member and will chat and help wherever we can.

Having said that, I am a DPN user and have never tried to knit socks with circs, so you won't get a lot of help from me on that topic!

G J
09-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Karen, Welcome! No intruders here! Just new friends! I hate DPNs too, so I ONLY EVER use circulars! I like either two circs or magic loop, like Julie said. As far as issues.....Hmmmm. Can't really think of any. It can get a little fiddly, and you MUST remember to knit with the right needle (Same to same) if you do 2 circs, so it helps to use two different colors or types. Otherewise, stick to ML (magic loop) and you won't have to worry about that, either!

jberry16
09-09-2010, 06:57 PM
So I just found this t-shirt from cafe press & want it so badly! Funny thing is it comes in a maternity shirt too (lol) not that that will be needed, I usually dont wear maternity tops, just jeans.
http://www.cafepress.com/+womens_vneck_dark_tshirt,393909850
anyway, I had to share. :happydance:

jess_hawk
09-09-2010, 07:18 PM

Karen

Hi Karen!
Welcome to our KAL! you certainly aren't intruding, we love new friends! I prefer DPNS but have also used 2 circs - the only time it gets complicated is if your pattern divides the stitches onto 4 dpns and then specifies stitches based on each needle. Place stitch markers where each needle would end, and voila! no need for DPNs!

jess_hawk
09-10-2010, 12:05 AM
Someday, Julie, I'm going to put my wolverine fishing T-shirt on CafePress. I love the wool to knitting T, but I'm more of a plain T-shirt or sarcastic comment (ie, "I'm not insane: my mother had me tested." Yay BBT!) girl, so I'd never wear it.

Chris - do boy hoodies zip in the back?

rachejm
09-10-2010, 07:23 AM
Hi Karen, welcome to the KAL!

Julie, that shirt rocks!

So, I met some of my new course mates the other day. We went out for lunch. It was really nice. We were comparing school experiences and reasons for taking the course and worries about starting. It was good to hear that they are as nervous as I am. Everyone thinks they haven't prepared enough, except for one of the guys who has decided that he is having a relaxing week before it all gets hectic - I think he may have something there. Its not like I've spent the summer doing nothing, I have done some work. I'm looking forward to getting started on the 20th.

jess_hawk
09-10-2010, 12:28 PM
I thought hoodies zipped straight up and down? :??

OK I knew that about button-up shirts, but I didn't realize you could actually tell that about a hoodie.

rachejm: I'm usually the one taking that guy's philosophy. Sit back and relax, life is WAY too short to waste time freaking out about things that may or may not be an issue, like the slim possibility that you didn't prepare enough for this course - honestly, you all probably did more than enough.

The.Knitter
09-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Cool shirt Julie!

Chris I didn't know that hoodies were unisex either. Thanks for the tip.

We found a church the other day. They have several daytime things to do. Monday mornings they knit prayer shawls. Wednesday mornings they have "coffee". Thursday night is choir practice and Sunday is church. We are going to give it a try. This is the church I was looking for when I went to that "other" church that scared me so badly. I am much more comfortable at this new church. Even DH enjoyed himself there.

Also, we found a really nice place to go for afternoon tea, so we are on our way there in half an hour. I love to go for afternoon tea!

Also, I started an easy prayer shawl. Anyone want to do a knit-a-long? On US 11's and using a bulky yarn (I am using a 5 bulky): cast on 57 stitches (it MUST be 57 stitches). Knit one row. The next row and every one thereafter is K3, P3 until you reach 57 to 60 inches. Knit one row and then bind off! You can add fringe to it if you choose to. This makes an easy shawl to make for someone that needs a hug or a little warmth on their shoulders.

I started my prayer shawl last night and it will only get worked on once a week on Monday mornings in the church library. This is a project you can pick up whenever you have nothing else to do, or while watching TV.

The.Knitter
09-12-2010, 10:10 AM
By the way I have a bridge for sale, it is located in Brooklyn and I will sell it very cheap. :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Oh you BRAT!!!!! xoxo

jberry16
09-12-2010, 11:01 AM
By the way I have a bridge for sale, it is located in Brooklyn and I will sell it very cheap. :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:
Do you still have that ocean front property in Arizona too? I know someone who might be interested. :roflhard:

jess_hawk
09-12-2010, 12:40 PM
:p Told you hoodies zip up and down and not side to side.

jess_hawk
09-12-2010, 07:04 PM
LOL yes okay. (though honestly I don't think I've ever looked that close at a zipper)

Fashion is obviously not my strong suit. Although I LOVE rubbing it in my 'Thou-Shalt-Wear-a-Dress-for-interviews' father's face that I got accepted to the lab I'm in now, while wearing clothing that horrified him (brown slacks and a green shirt). He very nearly grounded me for wearing it, too. :teehee:
Am I a horrible person for the huge kick I get out of screwing up my dad's worldview?

jberry16
09-14-2010, 01:46 PM
all 3 kids have ear infections, Jacob in the right ear, the girls in the left ears. Katie's eardrum is bulging! She never complained till this morning & I got her in to the doc 45 min later. Bailey said her's didn't hurt but the doc said it was inflamed & had lots of fluid, so all 3 kids are on amox. O lovely day...

CivicSista
09-14-2010, 10:04 PM
Hey everyone- you might remember be from the beginning of the year :)
I just finished my first sock, and what can I say- I gotta show off.....

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4150/4991963230_078b7bc89a.jpg

jess_hawk
09-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Congrats! It's very lovely!

Also - WHOA! a real live SOCK on the ASKAL! :D

jberry16
09-15-2010, 09:19 AM
beautiful sock! :inlove:

kajomo
09-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! AND...thanks for the website about sock knitting. I will definitely go check it out.

I tried to practice on the only set of dpn's I have last night and UGH, I just hate them. My hands and fingers hurt today and what I managed to eek out looked really bad! I think I am going to try for the magic loop! It looks so confusing, but will figure it out....after all taught myself to knit from all the videos on this website. LOL

Hope to get to know you all! A little about me....I live in Oklahoma and have been married to a wonderful guy for 8.5 years. We unfortunately do not have children of the two legged variety, but have 3 furry kids. Two cats, Toulouse and Toshi and a German Shepherd that we named Greta who adopted us in June. (aka, we think someone dumped her in our neighborhood. She landed on our front porch a very sick pooch,and a pile of cash later is fine and a blast to have around! Although, I am not sure the cats thinks so. LOL)

G J
09-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Hi friends!
I've been doing a little knitting...not much, though.
Keep Emmelyn in your prayers. She doesn't know that I know this, but Amit wants to meet with her. They've been emailing. :wall: Pray that she stays strong and resists him!

Y'all made me laugh with your conversations about hoodies. Zippers in jackets and zip-ups ARE put in for a left or right pull, but hoodies!?! LOL!:roflhard:

Julie, LOVE the t-shirt! How cute! Hope the kids are better soon!

Rache, enjoy your class! From the start, review every day! You'll do fine!

Christine, I'm SO GLAD you found a church! :cheering: I taught several in our knitting group that shawl pattern. It's SO easy! I'm making one right now that is CO an odd # of stitches, k 1 row, next row, K1, P1 to the end. Repeat those two rows! It looks really nice. I'm using size 11s with I Love This Yarn from Hobby Lobby.

Emily, keep changing his view! It's fun!

Sista, that is an AWESOME sock! LOVE the color and the pattern!

Karen, thanks for sharing about yourself! I live in Texas (Houston area), have been married 26 years and have two kids, dd 22, ds 21. I learned to knit on this site but have subsequently switched to Portuguese (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xswHlgb1i_E)knitting because of hand problems. I don't knit socks anymore because my hands can't hold the tiny needles--not even the circs and fugetabout DPNs!

Hope you're all doing well!

jberry16
09-15-2010, 05:08 PM
Keep Emmelyn in your prayers. She doesn't know that I know this, but Amit wants to meet with her. They've been emailing. :wall: Pray that she stays strong and resists him!
O NO! :thud: Is there anyway you can make plans for her when they're supposed to meet? Anyway you can figure that out and keep her from him, just a bit longer? Change her e-mail or something? C'mon Mama you gotta be able to do something devious (sp)?! :passedout:

G J
09-15-2010, 05:59 PM
Julie, I'd love to do something to control the situation, but she's an adult. I'll keep praying encouraging her, and making comments about how happy she's been in the past month! Hopefully, she'll figure out that she's better off without him.

jberry16
09-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Julie, I'd love to do something to control the situation, but she's an adult. I'll keep praying encouraging her, and making comments about how happy she's been in the past month! Hopefully, she'll figure out that she's better off without him.
Good idea, she'll come 'round eventually. In God's time ;)

jess_hawk
09-16-2010, 06:06 PM
It's unfortunately true that since she is an adult, if she decides to meet up with Amit again and you try to prevent it (other than simply expressing your concern) it will only create bad feelings and resentment between her and you. So hopefully she chooses not to see him again.

Christine, any word on that package? It really ought to be there by now. Illinois isn't THAT far from Canada.

Julie - hope your kids are all feeling better!

I'm FINALLY completely done with Teenie's quilt, as of a couple of days ago. I'm considering embroidering Christine :heart: Brent on the binding, but we'll have to see how tomorrow and Friday go - I'm baking a pie for the grad student picnic.

I think I'm catching something - as a result of not sleeping enough mostly, and certainly not eating properly. This week has been a heck of a schedule, and at least once I wound up having a half-handful of M&M's as dinner. Why? because I didn't have anything in my kitchen that I didn't have to at least heat up, and I was on my way out the door again. Note to self: freezing bread makes it keep longer, but if I don't have time to toast it, it's not very useful anyway.

At least I have apples now. Apples keep good, and are tasty and healthy.

I'm in between the two labs that I teach. I like my labs - I would like them move if the other three labs didn't use up all of the reagents. This week, I will have to form five groups into three, because somebody used up all the antibody A1. BUT, I think I fixed the problem all of the labs have been having so far, so hopefully things will work out.

Hope everyone is having a good week!

The.Knitter
09-18-2010, 10:16 AM
Jess: Nothing on the package yet. I'll let you know!

I have the toes to graft and then I will be finished the pair of socks I am working on. Hubby and I decided to donate it to the CMHA for their bazzar in October. Now I go back to baby knitting! That is always so much fun.......

kajomo
09-21-2010, 12:12 PM
Gina, I didn't know there was such a thing as Portuguese knitting. It does look like it would be easier on the hands. I hope everything works out with your daughter (assuming that is who you were talking about in your previous post!). I can't imagine how hard it is to parent an "adult". :)

Got my sock yarn in the mail today! YAY! May be in and out as my Dad is in hospice care and is nearing the end...but WILL be around!

God bless...

Karen

jberry16
09-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Y'all aren't making this easy on me...I come on here every day to procrastinate (usually with homework) and I can't because there's no one on here chatting! C'mon people! I have an exam on Tues & no way are you helping me out :teehee:

jess_hawk
09-25-2010, 01:18 AM
Well I've been trying not to complain about the USPS or the Canadian mail folks...

I'm home this weekend helping my mom paint the house. I'm *finally* getting a new window in my bedroom. and new carpet.

rachejm
09-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Hello!

I had my first week at Uni this week. Its been busy. We've had lots of introductory lectures and forms to fill in and read and stuff. To top that all off I've also had a cold that I picked up in school last week so I've felt tired and bunged up all week.

I start my first school placement tomorrow. I'm kinda excited and kinda nervous, I'm in a year 6 class (10 and 11 years old) and the oldest in the school so it will test my subject knowledge a bit. The placement is 2 days a week (with the other 3 days at Uni) until the end of October and then we spend the whole of November in school. By the end of the placement we are suppose to be teaching 25% of the timetable. Its paired so while I'm teaching my partner acts as teaching assistant, and we plan lessons together. I'm gonna be very busy until Christmas.

Hope you are all well.

kajomo
09-27-2010, 06:15 PM
Y'all aren't making this easy on me...I come on here every day to procrastinate (usually with homework) and I can't because there's no one on here chatting! C'mon people! I have an exam on Tues & no way are you helping me out :teehee:

Ohhh I love to procrastinate....I will sign on more!:p

G J
09-27-2010, 09:21 PM
Hi friends!
Hope y'all are well.
Rache, I like the balance of classes and practicum you have. That will keep it interesting and allow you to try out what your learning in a real classroom.

Julie, we're subliminally telling you to Study! :roflhard:

Today was a morning of testing for me. Abdominal ultrasound and contrast x-rays. Had to drink this nasty stuff and then they took pictures of my innards. UGH. Tomorrow I have an MRI of my liver and whatever else is nearby. I will hopefully get results on Friday.

Emily, hope you're feeling better! Can;t wait to see the quilt.

You're right about Emmelyn. It's her life. Unfortunately, she went on a date with Amit on Saturday. She hasn't talked to me about it, but she told Mike. I'm just praying for her, not asking questions, not giving comments....My tongue will soon be bleeding profusely! :hair:

Christine, we need to see pics of the socks! After all, this is any SOCK KAL!

Karen, how's it going with your Dad? that has to be difficult.

jess_hawk
09-27-2010, 09:57 PM
And I am procrastinating my procrastination.

I will procrastinate tomorrow.

Actually, I am procrastinating today. I went to Hobby Lobby in search of ideas for a book cover.
Interrupting my train of thought... I don't know if I told you all about this book. I typed up my Ecuador field journal and everything we did in Ecuador and printed it via CreateSpace for my dad... and gave it to him for his birthday, which meant the entire rest of the family and many friends wanted copies. So I've edited it a few times (and probably will a few more) and I'm going to have it for sale... but first I have to re-design the cover, as the one I gave dad had a copyrighted image on the cover (with proper credit given, but still, not legal for distribution).

OK back to what I'm doing now: I found a little heart-shaped box ornament - you know, the clear balls and boxes that you can put things in - and thought that would make a good ornament/memorial for Kitten. I kept some feathers when I buried her, but I didn't really know what I would do with them. Then, I thought, well, gee, the boys need ornaments too, then! So I bought ceramic ornaments to paint for each of them.
The first coat of paint is drying, and now I'm in search of Christmas Stocking ideas. My (unfinished) Christmas stocking for my apartment is a cross-stitch nativity, so I'm trying to find some small-ish cross-stitch designs for pet stockings.

All of this, and what I really *should* be doing, is working on my research proposal. *sigh* I hate writing proposals.

Gina - good luck on your testing!

CivicSista
09-27-2010, 10:45 PM
I am working on my second sock, and I messed up- guess this one is going to be half of an inch long then the other- oh well...... its my first pair right?

jberry16
09-27-2010, 11:28 PM
I am working on my second sock, and I messed up- guess this one is going to be half of an inch long then the other- oh well...... its my first pair right?
its ok. you can do 2 at a time...just a though for next time :teehee:

jberry16
09-28-2010, 11:45 AM
I tend to use the first for the ruler for the second. That would make them similar, but, not always equal.
same here, when I dont do 2 at a time, I count the rounds on the cuff, then the leg, then the heel, then from the last gusset decrease to the first toe decrease & they usually match pretty close, maybe off a round or two from the gusset or toe decreases, but not enought to tell just by looking.

jberry16
09-28-2010, 02:00 PM
first exam this term in about 1.5 hours, please keep me in your prayers and wish me luck...wont have results till next week.

jberry16
09-28-2010, 05:43 PM
I think I did ok on the exam, 80 questions. Now I can concentrate on fun stuff like cooking dinner & getting something ready for knit night :happydance:

jess_hawk
09-28-2010, 10:07 PM
Congrats Julie!
I am officially sick, I have a sore throat and a slight fever. I went to observe a lab so I know what to do for teaching Thursday, but I'm not sure I caught, well, anything. I'm seriously considering skipping my biostats lab tomorrow to sleep.

I do have pumpkin pie ice cream though...

jberry16
09-29-2010, 10:09 AM
BABY NEWS! My cousin delivered her first early this morning at 3:59 El Paso time (MST) Melissa Lynn weighed in at 7# 12.6oz and was 20.5" long. :happydance: Just had to share.

G J
10-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Hi friends!
Praise God that the spots on my liver are benign cysts or biliary hamartomas. Recheck in four months and every six months to a year after that. The doc still wants me to see a kidney specialist b/c we haven't explained the pain and she thinks I may have some food allergies, which we'll test for.

Hope you're doing well. Christine?!? Are you feeling okay?

Emily, you're so creative! How's the book cover coming along? Are you feeling better?

Sista, I have one foot longer than the other. I can wear those socks! :)

Julie, glad your test went well! YAY on the new baby! How's yours coming along? You feeling okay?

Hi to the rest of you!

DH will be out of town this week so it will be just DD and I at home. She's been driving me crazy. Very self-centered and dating you -know-who again. :wall::hair:

jess_hawk
10-04-2010, 02:33 AM
Emily, you're so creative! How's the book cover coming along? Are you feeling better?
dating you -know-who again. :wall::hair:
Oh no, she's dating him again?

The book cover would be coming along better if my parents weren't re-doing the house - I want to pull out some of my Ecuador stuff to try, but all of my stuff is scattered around the basement, along with everything else from the house. It should be all put away by the next time I'm home, but I'd really like to have a completed cover design in the next couple of weeks and a proof copy, at least, by Halloween... which is the next time I intend to be home.
I do have a couple of things I could use, but my alpaca sweater from the Otovalo market somehow doesn't seem to fit as a cover for a book titled 'Too Close to the Sun.'
And my backpack, but, well, nobody ever said it was aesthetically pleasing. I bought it because it's military surplus, and German, no less, and has therefore stood up to all the rough handling I can throw at it (my previous three backpacks had an average lifespan of three months, this one is now on year 4 and still going strong).

As for how I'm feeling... yes, better, but still not great. My nose started running. It wasn't bad until I went home for the weekend, and with all the dust and fumes in there, I woke up last night because I couldn't breath. When I went outside to load my car and leave, my sinuses FINALLY cleared up and went back to 'mildly annoying runny nose.'

I stopped at the Quad Cities bird fair in Milan, where Copper got to ride around on my shoulder and was a big hit with everyone. He let a couple of other people hold him, with encouragement, but mostly he was nervous about all the people and only seemed happy about things when he was on my shoulder. I got some good deals on toys for him and Artemis. (Although he also had a really good time this weekend with a disposable plastic cup...)

I'm glad everything went well with testing your liver. :cool:

Julie - congrats on the new 'niece'! :woot: (what IS the official term for your cousin's kid?)

jess_hawk
10-04-2010, 12:06 PM
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/9/7/a66eedc5-6af5-4202-802a-894bca9976c7.jpg

jess_hawk
10-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Poor Christine! If it's not one thing, it's another, isn't it?
I hope she at least got my package to cheer her up; I've been worrying that it's lost.

jberry16
10-05-2010, 09:54 AM
Gina, thanks for asking, I'm feeling pretty good. For the first time ever, with this kid I'm experiencing evening nausea - weird, starts between 6:30 & 7:30 & has gone as long as 2am. I'm 10 weeks today & will see the OBGYN on Thurs morning - after the balloon fiesta. :happydance: How's Em & A. any word?

Jess I have no idea what the official term would be for my cousin's baby, dont think it's a neice, just another cousin as far as I'm concerned. BTW her thyroid is physically in the wrong spot, it's just behind her tongue, they're going to put her on meds & see the endocrinologist later. Poor mom & dad having to go through this, she's 6 days old today. :cry:

Chris thanks for letting us know about Christine & the c.diff. that stuff is TERRIBLE! That poor woman has the worst luck lately.

Not much knitting or spinning done reciently, how about you all?
I have class today & will have my test results back today, I'm hoping for at least the 72 I dreamed about, granted I also dreamed about him announcing to the class that someone got a 98.5 on the exam - doubt that's me.

The.Knitter
10-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Poor Christine! If it's not one thing, it's another, isn't it?
I hope she at least got my package to cheer her up; I've been worrying that it's lost.

I got your package. I was sure I had posted that on here. Sorry if I forgot. I apologize. They fit him. I tried to have a laugh when he put them on. When I feel better I will have him put them on again. Thanks once again Hon! They are great!!!

Thanks Chris. Sorry I am sick again. I will drop in now and then and try to type something.

Gina: Hopefully she will see him for what he is soon. Let`s hope.

:hug: Thanks for the prayers, keep them coming please!

jberry16
10-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Christine all you have to do is type "Hi"
or have Frank log in and tell us how you're doing.

btw, I'm unhappy to tell you all that I got a 69% on my first exam, thank God for extra credit points that will add up at the end & the opportunity to raise the exam grade with 2 more exams. sigh. I really want to pass this class with something better than a C!

G J
10-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Hi Friends!
Christine, feel better soon!:hug: You're in my prayers!

Julie, your cousin's child is your first cousin once removed. Sorry to hear about the evening sickness. Yuck. I have bad reflux in the evening, but no baby to blame! I wish I could help you study! Too bad on the test. Start studying for the next one NOW! Don't wait until right before the test.

We had a bit of a blow-up with E on Sunday night. She's been VERY self-centered lately, and we let her know we don't appreciate it and she'd better knock it off or she can move out or pay a LOT in rent. DH told her he can't believe she's with A and that he affects her badly. She's been SOME better since then.:wall:

As to knitting, I subbed today and had five classes taking tests, so I knit and watched them. Got a some work done on my sweater, but mostly, I re-knit mistakes! UGH!

rachejm
10-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Hope you feel better soon Christine!

Sorry about the test Julie. You'll do better on the next one!

I'm a little overwhelmed with course stuff at the moment. I'm on placement two days a week and at Uni for the rest of the week at the moment. Next week I have to plan a lesson for and teach two groups at school. The week after I have to plan for and teach a lesson to the whole class (scary!). We also have an assignment in at the end of the month, self study to brush up our subject knowledge, subject specific tasks to be completed at school and a block placement to plan for, plus we are in 9-5 on weekdays.

I'm still enjoying it though, the first few weeks have flown by, I think the work load will feel better once the assignment is in.

As you can probably tell I have no knitting to speak of, which is making for a very boring blog.

The.Knitter
10-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Hi! :grphug:

jess_hawk
10-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Hi Christine!
I'm glad you got the boxers and they fit.
Hope you feel better soon! *hugs*

Gina - I hope things go better with E. *sigh*

Julie - I'm sure you'll do better on the next test. Do you have a classmate who can help you study?
In my family, siblings, parents, grandparents, and first degree aunts and uncles are referred to as what they are. But past that, any relative old enough to be your parent or grandparent can be called "aunt" or "uncle," and any relative young enough to be your kid or grandkid can be considered "niece" or "nephew." For instance, I know Sue is my mom's cousin, but she's still Aunt Sue. and her girls are as good as first cousins.

I got Beauty and the Beast on DVD. Gaston is nearly as creepy as I remember him. He single-handedly made B&tB the most terrifying movie I saw until I watched The Ring; I refused to watch it for years even though I loved every scene that didn't have him in it.

QOTD: What is your favorite Disney movie?
Mine is the Road to El Dorado.

jberry16
10-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Julie - I'm sure you'll do better on the next test. Do you have a classmate who can help you study?
In my family, siblings, parents, grandparents, and first degree aunts and uncles are referred to as what they are. But past that, any relative old enough to be your parent or grandparent can be called "aunt" or "uncle," and any relative young enough to be your kid or grandkid can be considered "niece" or "nephew." For instance, I know Sue is my mom's cousin, but she's still Aunt Sue. and her girls are as good as first cousins.
same here Jess, on the family thing. And my Mom's aunts are my aunts etc. We're all family & we all love eachother & that's all that matters :happydance:
as for studying, not really. I'm lucky I have time to go to class, studying is all done with quizzes online & studying done at nap times, which this first trimester I've been so tired, I'm usually napping too-figure my body needs it. I'm 10 weeks now so almost through the first trimester ick.

on that note, here's the first picture of the baby! Taken today & the OBGYN appointment. 10 weeks & 2 days. Everything's fine, she just did an ultrasound to make sure there was a baby in the correct area (in the uterus), to see if there was more than one & to get a good heartrate.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs179.ash2/44232_1614170202236_1475731254_1575257_6019717_n.j pg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1556077&id=1475731254)
keep in mind, this isn't great-I took it of the ultrasound pic in print, in my car trying to get away from the glare of the mid day sun.

jess_hawk
10-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Julie - your baby is adorable! Usually I can't tell where the kid is on an ultrasound photo; this time I can actually tell what's what!

Chris - no, Bob Hope and Bing Crosby were not in that movie. Though, for the record, I do know who both of them were.

My labs tonight got out early! *happydance*
Though I cut my hand before my second lab and, honestly, who doesn't keep a first aid kit in a science lab? No band-aids, with all that glassware? *headdesk*
I normally have a couple of band-aids on me, since I'm latex-sensitive, but I ran out and haven't raided my parents stash recently.

CivicSista
10-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Started on my second pair of socks today :)

jberry16
10-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Started on my second pair of socks today :)
yea! what color this time?

CivicSista
10-10-2010, 12:22 PM
yea! what color this time?

I'm using this lovely yarn, to make Monkey socks :)
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4132/5006949994_14ac9f9807.jpg

jberry16
10-10-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm using this lovely yarn, to make Monkey socks :)
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4132/5006949994_14ac9f9807.jpg
Monkey socks are fun to knit, that will make a BEAUTIFUL pair!

jess_hawk
10-10-2010, 08:41 PM
*want*

That yarn is BEAUTIFUL!

The.Knitter
10-11-2010, 05:44 PM
Today is Canadian Thanksgiving and I have much to be thankful for this year. To all my fellow Canadians, I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving filled with love, laughter, good food, friends and family! :hug:

G J
10-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Hi friends!
Happy Canadian Thanksgiving, Christine (and any other Canadians)! Enjoy your celebration! Is it Turkey and stuffing or some other deliciousness?

Julie, LOVE the baby pic. He looks like Brian, huh?

Jess, how's your hand? Hope it's not such a bad cut that you can't knit! Don't let the birds have at it!

Sista, LOVE the sock yarn! SO pretty! Did we see pics of your first pair?!?

E went out with A again last night. :wall: Still praying that she wakes up to reality!

It's been beautiful here in Texas! Gotta LOVE October, the start of the "It's bearable to be outdoors" season!

Here's a pic I took on my walk the other morning:

jess_hawk
10-11-2010, 11:57 PM
My hand is fine; I barely scratched it. It bled more than it should have, but then again, I was trying to teach so it probably seemed worse than it was. Thanks for your concern!

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!

jberry16
10-12-2010, 11:43 AM
:hair: Gina, wonder what it will take for her to learn?
Love the picture, how pretty!

we went from summer time hot & not cooling off to cold crisp air overnight, it was kinda strange. We've been in the low 70s this week for highs & ~ mid 40s for lows. Good sleeping weather.
In other news we've put the van up for sale on craigs list and on autotrader.com & we're supposed to have someone come look at it today before 11:30. We've got it marked for sale at $5600, OBO. If we get $5500, we can pay off the loan on the van & the remainder of the visa bill. Then we're going to get an excursion or suburban. We'd like to have more room than a van, Brian would like to see us in something safer & bigger & he'd like to have something to tow with.

CivicSista
10-12-2010, 02:19 PM
I can never get good pictures of my socks....

http://gallery.me.com/civicsista/100028/5075458341_3f7b4f100d/web.jpg?ver=12869075320001

dawn1838
10-12-2010, 09:20 PM
I can never get good pictures of my socks....

http://gallery.me.com/civicsista/100028/5075458341_3f7b4f100d/web.jpg?ver=12869075320001

Those look good. I have completed one two-needle sock and am working on the second. I hope mine turn out as well as you did.

CivicSista
10-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Here are the Monkey's I am currently working on..
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4085/5076356621_4d09bb1c4d.jpg

jberry16
10-13-2010, 09:27 AM
Here are the Monkey's I am currently working on..
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4085/5076356621_4d09bb1c4d.jpg
those are beautiful! With your previous ones, which are also beautiful, try taking them in natural light, but not direct sun, Just take them outside and take lots of shots and see what you like best to showcase the patterns. also you can have someone else try them on or use sock blockers to help you.

jess_hawk
10-13-2010, 09:36 PM
Socks are lovely, both of you!

I just got a text from my mom that my cousin is pregnant, due in May!
*must find time to knit many, many baby items.*

jberry16
10-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Socks are lovely, both of you!

I just got a text from my mom that my cousin is pregnant, due in May!
*must find time to knit many, many baby items.*
:woot: May what? My dd is may 3, but we know that mine dont stay in that long. O how exciting!:woot:

G J
10-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Chris, you made me laugh (again!):roflhard:

Sista, LOVE the socks. Julie's advice on pics is good. Natural light, but not direct sunlight. Hit the shade!

Emily, what do you plan to make for the baby?

Julie, are you knitting for the baby?

I've been thinking that I need to get knitting more! Christmas is coming, I need to make something for a woman in my Bible Study group who is expecting....Time to see what I have on hand and maybe make a trip to the new yarn store in town!

jberry16
10-14-2010, 12:06 PM
Julie, are you knitting for the baby?

I've been thinking that I need to get knitting more! Christmas is coming, I need to make something for a woman in my Bible Study group who is expecting....Time to see what I have on hand and maybe make a trip to the new yarn store in town!
knitting? what's that :shrug: I've knit a cotton hat, not sure it will fit, maybe a little too small & it doesn't stretch. my mojo seems to disapear during first trimester :( I'm seriously thinking of knitting a BSJ out of sock weight because it's still cool here in April/early May so the baby would get some use out of it. But just not sure what else to knit, spring babies are so hard to knit for & not knowing gender makes it harder. I really want to be suprised, but at the same time I'd like to know so I know what color yarn to use :hair: not sure what I'll do, or if the baby will even co-operate when the ultrasound comes in ~7 weeks.
How's that for a long winded answer?

G J
10-14-2010, 12:52 PM
My knitting mojo is gone, too. Actually, my mojo for ANYTHING seems to have gone! I need to finish decorating the house, making curtains, etc, and it's just not happening. My folks are coming for Christmas, though, so I'm going to get on it! REALLY!:)

jess_hawk
10-14-2010, 01:37 PM
I have NO idea what I will knit for the baby (and I want to make something for Julie's baby, too!). I know I'll be sticking to organic cotton and soft baby synthetics whenever possible because of allergy problems in my cousin's family.

I'll probably at least make a couple of teddy bears. Just gotta decide how to design and personalize.

and some baby socks! yay baby socks!

The.Knitter
10-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Hi there! :hug:

rachejm
10-18-2010, 02:28 PM
Hi all,

Hope everything is well.

I'm teaching my first ever lesson tomorrow, I'm nervous. I'm hoping that everything goes alright. Its on journalistic writing and I have lots of activities planned so it should keep them busy for an hour. Everyone keep your fingers cross please!

G J
10-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Hi friends,
Not much new here. Emmelyn did NOT go out with Amit this weekend and went to church with some friends from high school instead.

Emily, You get so much crafty stuff done! I've lost my mojo!

Christine, :hug:HUGS to you!:hug:

Rache, you'll do GREAT! Be confident and positive! If they ask a question you can't answer, either tell them to look it up or that you'll get back to them. It sounds like you're well prepared!

Hi to the rest of you!

jess_hawk
10-18-2010, 08:30 PM
Hi friends,
Not much new here. Emmelyn did NOT go out with Amit this weekend and went to church with some friends from high school instead.

Emily, You get so much crafty stuff done! I've lost my mojo!

Christine, :hug:HUGS to you!:hug:

Rache, you'll do GREAT! Be confident and positive! If they ask a question you can't answer, either tell them to look it up or that you'll get back to them. It sounds like you're well prepared!

Hi to the rest of you!
Gina - that's a good sign for E!
Christine - Hi! Good to hear from you!
Rache - Everything will be fine! If I can teach, you can teach.

Speaking of which, how hard is "divide the liquid in this tube into three tubes as listed on the board, and bring the little one and the big one to me"? You would think I asked third graders to solve a differential equation! *sigh* Something is getting lost in translation here... But my students seem to like lab, and if we can figure out where things are getting lost in translation, we seem to be able to re-translate well.

BTW Julie - you don't have to know what gender to know what color to use! just use gender-neutral colors like green.

Currently I am grading lab reports. And more lab reports. And lab notebooks. and more lab notebooks. And more lab reports. Did I mention I'm grading lab reports? This grading crap never ends, does it? At least they seem to all be getting pretty good grades on the lab report. It helps that the 6-point results section (out of 20) is "There was no growth on any of our plates" for 27 of my 30 students.

As for creative projects: I've finished the cover design for my Ecuador book! I've got a lady doing an editing run on it and she says she's not quite done yet, but hopefully I'll have it by Halloween.
Next month I'm going to try doing something called NaNoWriMo (NAtional NOvel WRIters MOnth), the purpose of which is to write a 50,000 word novel in the month of November. I'm pretty sure I will fail, as I've got research stuff to do that's higher priority, but it sounds like fun!
And I'm still working on my Christmas stocking, and blown-egg Christmas ornaments. And I have to find some time for knitting baby stuff.

I do too many crafts for my mojo to leave me for all of them. If my knitting mojo is gone, my quilting mojo or painting mojo or "wow that sounds like a fun idea even if it is totally insane" mojo will step in to fill the void.

Also, crafting is more fun than reading research papers and writing a proposal.

The.Knitter
10-19-2010, 06:48 PM
Hi there! I'm working hard on getting better. I am fighting the good fight and seem to be winning (I hope). Today I actually went out in the car, in the sunshine, and did an errand. I will sleep well tonight.

Thanks for the messages. Take care!

Christine :hug:

CivicSista
10-19-2010, 10:13 PM
Here are my monkeys :)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4088/5097758907_51594b0b13_z.jpg

The.Knitter
10-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Sista: Great sox!!!!

Chris: Where are you? Everything ok?

Julie: How's the tummy?

Gina: Perhaps E is smarter than you think!

Hi! :hug:

jberry16
10-20-2010, 01:50 PM
Hey y'all just a quick hello, been super busy here. Trying to get caught up on things. Long story short we went to Fort Worth, TX to buy an excursion - it was a piece of crap to say the least, with the cork in the bottle being the hood insulation was dripping with oil! :hair: So we drove back, all in all in 2.5 days we drove 1296 miles! Then we get back and I check craigslist again, turns out there's a nice excursion here in town for a couple thousand more, with 1/2 the miles & I'll be picking it up tomorrow - private owner! we sold the van, problems with the automatic doors, would have been over $3k to fix & the back door never closed just right, I had to play with it each time to get it to latch so I wouldnt loose my kids/stuff if it came open on the road (never happened, but still scared me).
In other news, class is going...
I just cleaned the girls room & got rid of 1/2 a trashbag of trash & a full trashbag of crap toys they never play with or refuse to pick up (china crap) & found 2 pee spots on the carpet. I knew their room smelled like dog pee but couldn't find it. Now I'm resting for a minute & eating a sandwich before I go in and vacuum their room & treat the pee spots. damn dog.
In other dog news, she's started snapping at the kids & took Bailey's sandwich yesterday, when bailey called her name the dog turned and showed her teeth and growled at Bailey. I yelled and she ran to the back door. damn dog.
So...I'm looking for a home for Pearl............

rachejm
10-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd drop in to thank you all for your messages, the lesson went well (for a first lesson) and the children all learned something so thats good.

Christine, hope you feel better soon.

ewalker
10-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Here are my monkeys :)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4088/5097758907_51594b0b13_z.jpg

I like them a lot but, where did they get that name?

jberry16
10-20-2010, 07:05 PM
I like them a lot but, where did they get that name?
It's the name of the pattern (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTmonkey.html), by Cookie A.

jess_hawk
10-20-2010, 08:38 PM
That sock is pure awesomeness - love the color, love the pattern, and OMG how fast did you knit that sucker?

rache - if they learned something, you did well. My attempts at teaching children usually begin with a reminder from my mother that locking them in the closet is considered abuse, not a teaching style.

I have exciting news! My tissue samples for my research will be in the mail on Tuesday, and I have an order in for twenty brand new multi-colored microcentrifuge tube racks! AND five thousand 1.5 mL microcentrifuge tubes.

*** help... I've turned into someone who is irrationally excited about receiving tiny bits of bird liver and five thousand tiny tubes...