PDA

View Full Version : Sizing issue...

MellieThePooh
06-09-2010, 05:15 PM
This is something that's confused me from my first pattern:

When looking at the 'finished chest circumference' for a sweater, does that mean the circumference of the sweater or the wearer? If it's for the sweater, how do you deduce the ease?

For example, I'm looking at a sweater pattern for DS, whose chest circumference is 19" at 17 months. The sizes for the sweater are 3 months, 6 months, 9 etc up to 14 months. If I knit the 18 month size, the circumference is 26 inches! Yikes! That's bigger than his entire torso, arms included. But I hate the thought of knitting a whole sweater and it being too small for him by the time it gets cool enough to wear.

Jan in CA
06-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Yes, it's the finished circumference. The pattern may have a lot of ease which would make it bigger. You can, and should, do a gauge swatch and figure out your stitches per inch (measured over 4 inches). The size on the pattern is based on that particular weight of yarn and needle size, but you're gauge may be different.

suzeeq
06-10-2010, 07:40 PM
That would be the measurement of the finished item. Some kids patterns run really big, Debbie Bliss ones for example. You would probably need up to 4" of ease for a kid's sweater, but not 8". So go for a size that's about 22-23" around, make it an inch or two longer and your son will probably be able to wear it until he's 3.

MellieThePooh
06-13-2010, 01:57 AM
Ok, got it. A 4" ease sounds like plenty, especially since his waist is the same size as it was a year ago! I live in constant anxiety that tomorrow he'll have grown six inches and his voice will have dropped an octave...ok maybe not quite yet. Thanks!

suzeeq
06-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Kids pretty much grow up for several years far faster than they grow out. So if you want to make the body and sleeves a couple inches longer, he'll be able to wear it a year or two with the sleeves rolled up in the beginning.