PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Don't understand the pattern...

juliey
06-15-2010, 03:37 PM
I just purchsed a Tilli Tomas Pattern - #199 Drop Stitch Shawl - thinking it would be easy..but I don't understand the instructions:
"Cast on 125sts. Work in St st for 60 inches or until desired length. Next drop st rows (RS) Bind off, dropping every 6th st across."

To me, these instructions say I should knit stocking stitch for 60 inches, then bind off, THEN do a drop stitch row!

What am I missing? The illustration on the pattern would suggest stocking stitch for five stitches, then a drop stitch - repeated to form a sort of lacy ladder.

I'm trying everything I can think of but I'm just not getting the drop stitch effect at all - help!:hair:

suzeeq
06-15-2010, 04:26 PM
Drop every 6th st as you BO. So BO 5 sts, drop the next, BO another 5, drop the next.

MerigoldinWA
06-15-2010, 04:38 PM
"Cast on 125sts. Work in St st for 60 inches or until desired length. Next drop st rows (RS) Bind off, dropping every 6th st across."

To me, these instructions say I should knit stocking stitch for 60 inches, then bind off, THEN do a drop stitch row!

You have it almost right. You cast on 125 a multiple of 6+5), knit St st for the length you want and then as you bind off drop the 6th stitch down all across. So knit 1, knit the next 1, lift over (1 bound off), k1, lift over (2 bo), k1, lift over (3 bo), k1, lift over (4 bo), (5 stitches used) and let the next stitch drop to the bottom (you'll have to make it drop, it won't do it on its own), thereafter (k1, bo) 5 times and then drop one. Repeat to the end, ending with a bo5.

That will work along the bind off edge, but what I don't get is how it ends up looking at the beginning. If all you do is cast on and start knitting when you drop the stitch back to the beginning it will also "undo" the cast on (maybe if you cast on some odd way it wouldn't, but I used a regular long tail cast on to try it). That doesn't really wreck anything structurally but it looks very different than the bind off edge will look.

Any enlightenment on that issue? :?? Does it tell you to cast on some way that that won't happen, or does the picture show it looking different on each edge?

suzeeq
06-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Yep, it'll take out the CO stitch as well, but it needs to, otherwise that edge would be tight. I've done patterns like this before. However, dropping the st as you BO can make that edge too tight, unless you BO with a super large needle. Some patterns like this have you sort of chain 2 sts over the dropped one, or pick up sts in the top strand of the drop st and bind them off too so it's a little looser.