PDA

View Full Version : Where Is Everyone?

Lighting57
07-05-2010, 05:21 PM
I've noticed that the amount of traffic to this website has fallen off a lot. Where can everyone be? Don't they know that there isn't a better knitting website online? Or have they bored with knitting and gone on to something else? I love it myself, even if I don't manage to make a lot of finished items.

BTW, what has happened to Ingrid? I hope she is OK. She use to post quite often, but I rarely she her post anymore.

Jan in CA
07-05-2010, 06:27 PM
It is slower. Part of it is Ravelry. I prefer the small friendly environment of KH better, but some people don't. It's also summer so it always drops when people are on vacation or busy with kids, gardens, etc.

I'm not sure what happened to Ingrid. I hope she's okay, too. :hug:

MoniDew
07-05-2010, 06:30 PM
I prefer the interaction here to Ravelry as well. I just think it's summer, vacations, etc, as Jan said. I lurk, even when I'm not responding, I'm still reading.

As the who's down in whoville said, "we are here, we are here, we are here!" LOL!

jjlrdomom
07-05-2010, 10:28 PM
I'm fairly new here, and am on Ravelry as well as a knit and crochet group on Cafe Mom. It is fun to be in the smaller groups as you can get to know people better. I have my "routine"....I check emails, check facebook, and then go to my 3 knitting knooks.....here, Ravelry, and knit and crochet Moms (on cafe Mom). Guess I'm just a knitting knerd, huh? Oh!! That could make a cool t-shirt! Heh heh!!:p

saracidaltendencies
07-05-2010, 11:40 PM
I'm still around though not as often with it being summer and the kiddos being home...Will probably be around a bit more once the kids go back to school!

Doublereeder2
07-06-2010, 12:59 AM
I am here too - I read these boards daily. Just don't comment too much.:aww:

GrandmaLori
07-06-2010, 01:13 AM
I am here too - I read these boards daily. Just don't comment too much.:aww:
Me Too!. I prowl around here all the time.

Ronda
07-06-2010, 07:26 AM
Me Too!. I prowl around here all the time.

Me, three. I check this site pretty much every day but don't comment either. Part of the reason for that is that it's probably been 4 or 5 months since I've been knitting. :(

WandaT
07-06-2010, 07:39 AM
I'm here too - not as much this summer though. I don' t know why this summer seems so much busier then usual for me. I thought once the kids got older summer's slowed down. Doesn't seem to be so. DD came home from college early May and life has been crazy!! I have done the least amount of knitting in the last couple of months than I think I ever have. DH developed an issue with his heart (irregular heartbeat) early March and he's home more often too. DH and DD seem to tag team each other as far as one of them being home all the time. Love them both but am really in DT's for some "me" time.

I have managed to finish three bibs, a set of dishcloths and a couple of iPod socks this summer. Will post pics as soon as I get a chance. :)

Sunshine's Mom
07-06-2010, 09:56 AM
I lurk a lot too. I have to say that I miss the OT thread. It's a bit tough to slog through the General Knitting area sometimes. I understand the reason for the switch, but I still miss OT.

MoniDew
07-06-2010, 10:38 AM
I lurk a lot too. I have to say that I miss the OT thread. It's a bit tough to slog through the General Knitting area sometimes. I understand the reason for the switch, but I still miss OT.

I agree, wholeheartedly!! I miss it too, because even when I have nothing knitting going on, I could still have a place to chat.

Crycket
07-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Yeah...me too...I used to hang out more down there than anywhere else....*sigh*

I too am lurking...!!

Abbers1026
07-06-2010, 02:19 PM
I'm here as well...I'm reading most of the day at work...keeping up to date like most others...mainly lurking unless I see a thread that catches my attention

N0obKnitter
07-06-2010, 06:52 PM
I lurk a lot, but I rarely post on the forums on rav...I vastly prefer the format of this message board for one thing.

mwhite
07-06-2010, 09:16 PM
I'm still here, too....Summer is our busy season at work so I don't get to relax and get involved as much but I do check the threads, jump in once in awhile, still knitting some but mostly dealing with "Boat people"....can't wait til winter! OMG...did I just say that??? I hate cold weather but it is when I vacation. :muah:

hookedonknitting
07-06-2010, 09:46 PM
I am here lurking away...I have starting working a bit over the summer so I have less time....also my boys are going insane and hitting the Terrible twos early....

OffJumpsJack
07-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Yo! Here. Quietly knitting or crocheting in the background.

I keep up with the Crochet! forum and What'cha Knittin'? I try to keep up with General knitting.

borealowl
07-07-2010, 12:04 AM
Hi everyone - I am here too even though I don't always log on unless I have something to say. Summer is just the busy time for most people I guess. Hope you are all having a great summer.:knitting:

mspwrz
07-07-2010, 12:12 AM
Summer is when I can knit to my hearts content. I have to worry about lesson plans, grades, and my own two teen's schedules otherwise. Don't get me wrong, I am still busy. Just a more relaxed busy. Thankfully, it has been a mild summer so far for us,...Which means it is not too hot to knit. :cool:

AngelaR
07-07-2010, 06:09 AM
For me it's been more work and the party planning, which should now taper off until September or so for me. I knit quite a bit during the summer for the cold months and for Christmas. It's quite a productive time for me as I refuse to cook in this heat.

Plus, many folks go on vacation during the summer months and everything tends to slow down everywhere, as I've noticed.

rachejm
07-07-2010, 06:26 AM
I'm here, I'm on here at least once a day reading. I much prefer KH to Ravelry, I find their boards hard to follow because there are so many people on them. I can generally be found in the Sock KAL.

hyperactive
07-07-2010, 11:26 AM
I am here, too. Just was off for a week or so.

I guess, when it is hot, you do other things than knitting (at least I have heard people do so) and then don't bother with the forum so much. Also there are less people at home, more people out in the garden / at the lake / the beach / the neigbors / the BBQ /whatever ;)

Don't worry - come fall come trafic :D

Well, I will remain here (unless I go on vacation) and keep posting away.

Irishmam
07-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Hello from a very rain soaked Ireland. I'm here too. Been on holiday and as am running a new business since April as well as taking care of 3 kids am also just plain busy.

Irishmam

trvvn5
07-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Summer. Thats what has done it for me.

UruzPhoenix
07-10-2010, 09:48 PM
i've been dealing with fall out. I was in a car accident last february and am still dealing with the medical stuff on top of my last 2 kids here at home (ages 12 and 10) being out of school for the summer. I've been knitting some, http://www.knittingphoenix.blogspot.com but most days I spend dealing with back pain and trying to not overdo things....

gotta knit
07-11-2010, 11:12 AM
I'm also guilty of lurking regularly, but hardly posting.

Ever since I bought my Options and have all those extra cables, I have more UFOs than ever before so I spend more time knitting than online. I'm new to ravelry too, and find it so overwhelming I spend more time looking around there than I do on here. :oops:

cindycactus
07-11-2010, 05:07 PM
[quote=gotta knit;1294386]I'm also guilty of lurking regularly, but hardly posting.

Me too. I check in most days and read but rarely jump in. I haven't been knitting much this summer. But will get back to it as winter comes on.

margz3
07-12-2010, 02:52 PM
I'm here as well...I'm reading most of the day at work...keeping up to date like most others...mainly lurking unless I see a thread that catches my attention

Same here. Plus I was on vacation last week and tried to keep off the computer as much as possible (I would end up checking in with work to often if not!)

ArtLady1981
07-12-2010, 05:32 PM
I have to say that I miss the OT thread. It's a bit tough to slog through the General Knitting area sometimes. I understand the reason for the switch, but I still miss OT.

You aren't alone in feeling this way. The subject is under discussion by the Mods and Admins right now.

evona
07-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Hi all ~ I'm here, but did sort of drop off for a while. I have been so busy with school and work (finally graduating this next May) that I haven't really been knitting. Plus, like some others have commented, I miss the OT forum. Same issue as the others, when I haven't really had a chance to knit much I still felt like I had a place to chat about interesting things.

Debkcs
07-12-2010, 08:14 PM
I miss the folks who are gone also, and a lot of them seem to have left once the OT forum was deleted. It was a place to go and chat with friends.

Ravlery is too big for me, but there are a couple of OT areas that I like.

Lisa R.
07-13-2010, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by Sunshine's Mom
I have to say that I miss the OT thread. It's a bit tough to slog through the General Knitting area sometimes. I understand the reason for the switch, but I still miss OT.

You aren't alone in feeling this way. The subject is under discussion by the Mods and Admins right now.

I'm glad to hear this. My time here has dropped off a bit partly because I'm trying to cut down on my online time in general to pay more attention to my household responsibilities, but partly because I have another forum I go to for "general conversation," and now it's harder to find the knitting topics among the OT conversations. I don't know how dividing those boards affects price/bandwidth usaage and all that--we should all be very sensitive to those issues! But I spent more time here when they were separated!

I LOVE KH, and spend much more time here than on Ravelry for the reasons others have given...it's just a cozier place, and even though I've never been very active here, I'm always welcomed, and I appreciate that!

bambi
07-13-2010, 09:27 AM
I'm here, too. Just doing more lurking than posting!

Lana
07-15-2010, 11:01 AM
BTW, what has happened to Ingrid? I hope she is OK. She use to post quite often, but I rarely she her post anymore.

When I was able to visit KH regularly, Ingrid was a mainstay.
I too have noticed her absence and wondered what happened.

When I joined, there were many people from the area where I live who posted regularly.
I'm not seeing those names here either now.

I know I don't participate much in my other hobby message boards I've been on for 10+ years,
and people have dropped out of sight over the years from all the boards.

I guess sometimes, life just marches on.

Lighting57
07-15-2010, 11:35 AM
I too would prefer that OT have its' own place and not joined with the General Knitting board. I was wondering if maybe How To and Pattern Questions could be joined since they are very similar. Then that would free up a section for the OT again.

I understand too that this time of year may have a lot to do with the lack of traffic and comments posted.

The fact that post to Sells and Trades, etc. have fallen off a lot may be because of the bad economy.

When on this site, I feel more like a part of a family of knitters. Ravelry is a great site, but I get lost in the forum and it is very hard for me to go back to a post I read or posted to in the fast.

I hope the decline here will not in anyway harm the life expectancy of this website. I have looked through many sites looking for a second one to have as a kind of back up, but so far none compare or have the appeal that this site does.

The ones that maintain and keep this site up and going do a great job. THANKS GUYS/GALS!:hug:

saracidaltendencies
07-17-2010, 12:14 AM
I must admit I too visit less since the OT thread was removed...This summer has definitely been a busy one and I haven't knit a thing since the kids have been on summer vacation, but when I do check the forum I just get too overwhelmed trying to find OT topics among the gen knitting topics. Maybe start a poll to find out which forums members visit most and which ones they wouldn't miss and re-arrange from there??