PDA

View Full Version : in a charted pattern what does No Stitch mean?

sheilaksp
07-26-2010, 10:36 AM
I am totally confussed right now could be this sinus infection, I have checked my books but can't find the answer.
Question is in a Charted Pattern when one of the boxes or several boxs are marked NO STITCH what does it mean? I have to do somthing with this stitch before I move on to the next stitch.
As DR Phil says this isn't my first rodeo knitting but I have never understood the stitch NO Stitch. Can someone explain to this dummy here. thanks:muah:

MMario
07-26-2010, 10:42 AM
ignore it. it isn't there. it is just a place holder in order to make other portions of the chart line up.

It's the "gap in the map" - you don't see it, you don't do anything with it, in real life it doesn't exist.

suzeeq
07-26-2010, 10:48 AM
It's like 'knit 0' in a printed pattern, skip the box (not the stitch) and go on to the next box.

sheilaksp
07-26-2010, 11:51 AM
ignore it. it isn't there. it is just a place holder in order to make other portions of the chart line up.

It's the "gap in the map" - you don't see it, you don't do anything with it, in real life it doesn't exist.
That is what I thought but the problem is it is a 6 stitch repeat pattern.
1st row no stitch, K 2 , P2tog, p2
2nd row, no stitch, purl 1, K 2, p2
I think I know what I am doing it is just the way the pattern is written up. for the first row I will just k2, then p2tog then p 2! next row will just have 5 stitches per repeat so I just p1, k2 p2 and so on right!!!:hug:

hyperactive
07-26-2010, 11:55 AM
does your pattern have "vertical sides" or do you start on a tip maybe? If you started on a tip then maybe the stitches will exisit in rows a little higher?

But as said: just close your eyes to it, it just isn't there.

suzeeq
07-26-2010, 12:09 PM
I think I know what I am doing it is just the way the pattern is written up. for the first row I will just k2, then p2tog then p 2! next row will just have 5 stitches per repeat so I just p1, k2 p2 and so on right!!!

Exactly, just ignore the no stitch and do R 1 over 6 sts, then you'll have the 5 sts for the repeats on R 2.

MMario
07-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Agreed

sheilaksp
07-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Exactly, just ignore the no stitch and do R 1 over 6 sts, then you'll have the 5 sts for the repeats on R 2.

sheilaksp
07-26-2010, 01:05 PM
:cheering: Agreed

sheilaksp
07-26-2010, 01:06 PM
:cheering: does your pattern have "vertical sides" or do you start on a tip maybe? If you started on a tip then maybe the stitches will exisit in rows a little higher?

But as said: just close your eyes to it, it just isn't there.